Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)

Justin8mypants, Aug 24, 2014

syntheticwings, Jun 02, 2012

BamfBacon, Aug 08, 2014

whatname, Apr 18, 2012

Ferment1, Aug 30, 2014

Well I didn't know what I was ordering when I asked for "Le Freak", just that there has been a lot of hype about it. I'd seen it on tap in San Diego and passed it by while I was out there, so I figured I'd have to have it now. I was expecting something funky, tart, and maybe even barnyard. How wrong I was!

(I should note up front that I had this while I was out for dinner and it was kind of dark and very loud, and the room was full of different aromas. I couldn't even see the bottle to read it! Therefore I can't give this a proper review, but I'll go more hedonistic and base it mainly on my enjoyment of it).

The hops were apparent during the pour, citrusy and just slightly piney or spruce-like. It didn't seem sour..

...and it wasn't. It was oddly Belgian-esque, however. The yeast was clearly Belgian, and the sweetish malt blended well with notes of vanilla, mild honey, sugar with perhaps a touch of clove, and more mild spices. And then there were hops!

I immediately thought of La Chouffe Houblon, and then I got it. Ahhh, I says, as a light-bulb comes on over my head, it's a Belgian style IPA. Well, that's not too uncommon these days. But then it all made sense. Green Flash makes a very decent IPA, and a very decent Tripel. I toyed with the idea that perhaps they'd just made a blend and called it "Le Freak" , but I waved that off with another sip.

I had a burger with blue cheese and mixed greens, and it went quite well. I drank the whole 22 oz bottle by myself, and it's a bit strong, but I'd have considered another one under different circumstances. It was reasonably priced; and I'd suggest giving it a try.

NeroFiddled, Nov 26, 2008

cjgator3, May 31, 2014

Appearance: It's cloudy and is primarily gold in color, though it does have some orange qualities. The head is sheer beauty. It's vanilla colored and easily stands a little more than three fingers tall. It was very slow to recede and and left thick sheets of lace on the glass.

Smell: The nose is very spicy. Strong notes of clove, banana, and a little corriander really permeate throughout. There are some sweet fruity scents (mostly apple, orange, and pear). Belgian yeast is really prominent. They were right on with that one. It is floral and a little earthy smelling. Interestingly enough, I'm not picking up much in the hops department. For something that's styled, at least in part, an "imperial pale ale," I was expecting more. Perhaps the spices drown out some of the characteristics.

Taste: It's sweet and fruity up front. Apple, pear, and orange flavors are sweet and start things off nicely. The spices are very aggressive and are a little overdone. There's clove, pepper, and some corriander, in addition to an interesting banana flavor. They really overpower some of the other elements of this beer. Belgian yeast is easily noted in flavor. It adds quite a bit, including a little authenticity. There is a pretty nice hop surge that emerges late and adds a nice bitter kick. They taste mostly floral and give it an earthy/grainy vibe. But, they're a nice touch. A little alcohol is noted on the tail.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and has a pretty good feel. Carbonation is very high and really gets in the way of it being as smooth as it could. But, it still holds together well. Drinkability is good, but that's about it. I'm enjoying the bomber, but it's a little too spicy and the abv is robust at 9.2%.

Green Flash did a pretty solid job in fusing an "imperial pale ale" and a tripel. It could be improved by toning down the spices a little and bringing more hop flavor to the forefront. But, it's a solid beer nonetheless. Definitely worth a try.

prototypic, Sep 29, 2008

trocketsauced, Jul 04, 2013

woodchip, May 30, 2013

jheezee, Nov 12, 2012

kkrez, Nov 15, 2011

tenacioustomato, Mar 22, 2012

ChrisCBeets, Jan 28, 2013

Leftofthedial, Dec 17, 2011
Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.