Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

This is billed as a hybrid between a Belgian Trippel and a Imperial IPA. Sounds interesting...

Poured from a bomber into an imperial nonic.

A - Pours beautifully with a nice two finger head of white foam. The color is a little lighter than I expected with a nice golden hue.

S - Smells spicy with a juicy Belgian yeast fragrance. Green Apple & Bubblegum are also noted.

T - The typical Green Flash hop bite immediately hits the tongue followed by a spicy Belgian yeast finish. Bubblegum and spice. At first, I'm delighted but after half a glass it becomes a little wary. I'm not sure how well the hop profile matches up with the Belgian yeast. For me, the aspirin like bitterness just doesn't meld well with the juicy Belgian yeast.

The 9.2% ABV is barely noticeable. Very drinkable.

M - Dry very dry.

Compared to other Belgian IPA's that I have tried this one just doesn't seem to have the same balance that would raise it above the bar. If you are a hardcore Green Flash fan and love their over the top hop profiles, then I think you will love this beer. But for me, I found it to be worth a try but not worth seeking out again.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Served on-tap in NYC.

Appearance is light orange, slightly hazy, nice cream colored head. Its` nose contains apple, banana, clove and belgian yeast. The taste of Le Freak has some malts, a good amount of hops, more belgian yeast, quite a bit more citrus. MF is pretty dry with some bitterness in the finish. It was nice to try this beer again, the last time I had it was a few years ago and at that time from a bottle that could have been past its` prime.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

[Poured into an genericl tulip glass]

I: My friend was raving about this beer, so I eventually picked a bottle for myself. It states"a converging of two beer styles, Belgian trippel and American IPA" both of which I love. I'm hoping I like this beer as much as I like the description. I really like Green Flash's west coast ipa, so I'm sure it wont be too bad.

B: [9.2% ABV, 1 PT. 6 FL. OZ.] A pretty generic bottle in shape, but the label retains a good amount of information. A decent summary of the beer with the standard info, that should be included on all beer labels,except expiration(i suspect that its those hard to find ones imprinted into the bottle). Overall it's adequate, but green flash never had the most inviting presentation with their labels.

A: Transparent amber/orange body with a fluffy head(fast dissipation), and some scattered/spotty lacing.

S: Bread malt and citrus/ light American hops. Comes off on the earthy side.

T: Off front is the sweet bread malt with west coast hops followed by a citrus zip. Taste more American to me, but the presence of a Belgian beer lingers.

M: Dry, Medium bodied, light/medium carbonation, and medium alcohol presence(that can creep).

O: A little too hyped in my opinion, but definitively an interesting beer. Appearance wasn't great to me, smell was adequate, taste was lacking the Belgian side, and mouth was decent. Worth trying at least once, but not something I would buy again, or recommend.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

An amber hued ale thats quite hazy. It pours with an medium size head and fades at a moderate pace with spotty lacing. Below average carbonation. Aroma is very malty with some Belgian yeast and a wee bit od spices.
Taste at first sip is that of a tripel. Malty with hints of dry spice. Then moves on into a quite bitter and dry IPA. It starts sweet and ends dry. Mouthfeel was thin and dry.
This beer is pretty good but a bit too bitter and dry. I like to see it with more hop character on the back end, because i wasn't really picking anything up there.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip, sadly no freshness date. This pours a light orange color with a massive white head which leaves a lacing. The smells are wonderful, a nose full of sweet yeast esters, banana and spices, along with a little hop. The feel is medium with even more carbonation. The taste us outstanding, first is a bitter mouthful of hops, followed by a semi sweet taste, then a nice bitter after taste, another great one from green flash.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Received this as an extra from Nugganooch; thanks Dane! Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Czechvar tall tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat dark golden orange color with two fingers of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, bready malts, sweet fruity malts, honey, Belgian style yeast, light tang/sourness. As it warms up some light floral notes. Pretty good.

t - Tastes of bready malts, sticky sweet fruity malts, honey, light must, yeast, floral notes. Light spice as well. Not bad, but a little off and too sweet for me. Average at best.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation .

o - Overall a decent beer, but not my favorite. Some nice citrus hops in the nose, but a bit tangy and too sweet for me. Not something I'd probably seek out again.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

I am pretty sure I got a bad bottle of this, as when I cracked it, there was no carbonation release.

Also, when poured, it had no head, but the clear, dark honey color is amazing.

Smell was tangy hops and yeasty.

Tastes like one note tang, kinda disappointed, as after drinking, it had no carbonation.

Definitely a bad bottle here. The lack of carbonation makes this pretty bad. I will re-review this if I buy another bottle, but at 8 bucks, that may never happen.

DOA

12-11-11

Ok, so, it has happened, and I am grateful I did, as my next bottle opened with a satisfying pop of the cap.

Pours murky gold, a huge very light tan head fluffs up to leave tons of lace and stayed until finished.

Smell starts off with some floral hop, warm bready malts, a light fruitiness which increases with warmth, and a hint of yeast.

Taste has a lot going on. Nicely complex, and hard to catalog. The hops are nice and bitter, which intensity on the end. A light fruitiness is present as well as some dry malts. It truly reflect an IPA plus a Belgian.

Texture is nice, as the beer goes down well. Lightly viscous and medium bodied.

Glad I took the plunge again, as I really enjoyed the beer, and it's new label.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a duvel tulip at 44 degrees.

Appearance: Golden yellow, with a decent head

Smell: Bubblegum, cotton candy, and hops... this smells great

Taste: Bitter grassy hops followed by sweetness/cotton candy and bubblegum.

Mouthfeel: Light with an appropriate carbonation, bubbly and dancing on the tongue.

Overall: I'm not a big fan. This truly is freaky, and I recommend trying it, just to see what it's like, but I don't think bubblegum and cotton candy go well with grassy bitter hops.

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.