Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)
cswhitehorse

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

The Le Freak poured a lovely clear hay color with a strong foam head. It had the look of tripel with the tiny bubble growing from bottom to the top of the glass.

The aroma felt a little subdued with the typical yeasty smell accustomed to the Belgian style. The taste had a good malt backbone but then the bitterness and dry finish came into play. It was a lively beer and left the humus lupulus in the mouth long after the drink was finished. I found it to be a pretty solid effort from an American brewery.

01-15-2009 02:39:02 | More by cswhitehorse
gford217

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Bottle shared by a generous soul at the HMoG at the Brick Store.

Pours hazy yellow with a small white creamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma was dominated by light fruits, with pineapples and lemons playing prominently. There was also a big bready malt aroma in the background.

The taste follows the nose with the light fruits and bready malt, but there is definitely a bit more spicy Belgian yeast than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is smooth but highly carbonated and very crisp in the finish.

This is a good Belgian IPA and maybe more of a trippel, but, either way, it's tasty.

01-12-2009 03:41:06 | More by gford217
bashiba

Iowa

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Poured a slightly hazed golden/orange with a thick creamy off white head. Excellent retention and lacing.

The smell had a big yeasty quality with banana nut bread and orange aromas.

The flavor starts out very mild with a classic german hefe banana and citrus yeast quality to it. The hops slowly build becoming more bitter and grapefruity the more I drink. Along with a subtle malt and alcohol sweetness poking through as well.

The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy with a long oily finish.

Very easy drinking, only the thick mouthfeel gives away how big of a beer this is.

01-12-2009 02:41:07 | More by bashiba
athensbeermaster

3.98/5  rDev -1%

This New age trippel pours a large l.t and frothy head that has great retention. The Nose gives off a fresh bannana bread mixed mix with a hint of cloves. The taste starts with the spicy hops and quickly fades into a sweet gum and burt caramel fade. The mouthfeel is kinda on the light side wich is a nice touch that let's the hops really shine thru the mix. At 9.2% abv. this ale really drinks well.

01-12-2009 02:18:50 | More by athensbeermaster
HalfFull

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap into a tulip glass, the brew pours a cloudy golden orange in color with a full inch of off white head. Head collapses upon itself slowly and leaves random chunks of lacing.

Nose is of some citrus hops muddled with candi sugar. Bit of banana and yeast in the background.

Tastes more of a Tripel than an IPA, as Green Flash calls it a cross between the two. Hops are present yet swarmed by the rich malts, yet the yeast isn't that prevalent either. Still it is enticing and complex and rather drinkable for its size. Flavors improve notably with some warming. The alcohol is pretty well hidden here but the sweetness would limit the drinkability. A unique beer worth a try.

01-10-2009 18:52:18 | More by HalfFull
soccerman7

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on draft at Holy Smoke in a pint glass.

A- Gorgeous glowing blonde color with a very sticky head that laced all the way down.

S - Truly complex nose. hops were there with the citrus and pine, but also the sweetness as expected on a triple.

T - Fantastic. I was expecting more of an east coast style DIPA but you could make out the DIPA and tripel. hops were perfectly balanced with the sweetness and the flavors unravelled as it gently warmed.

M - very smooth but had a sticky coating affect with the sweetness.

D - Definitely one of the better beers around. can see why the cult status with many people. Highly enjoyable brew but more than one can be overwhelming on the palate.

01-10-2009 01:47:27 | More by soccerman7
snpub540

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Picked this one up at AJ's Fine Foods in Peoria, AZ. Seemed like an interesting beer since IPA's are my go to and Belgians I am starting to have more of an appreciation for.

Poured a hazy, orange color with a small off white head. Left very clingy lacing on the glass the whole way down.

Smell was mostly hoppy, with citrus and floral being the most apparent. There was also a slight amount of earthyness from the yeast in the nose.

Taste was very complex and interesting. My first sip was all IPA. Hoppy, dry and delicious. My second swig was spicy and yeasty, what I would expect from an unfiltered belgian style beer. There was also the faint sweetness and warming effect of the alcohol. Towards the end of the beer I did get a sort of chalky aftertaste but it didn't linger.

Mouth feel was medium bodied. Drinkability was great. It is definately a different tasting beer but one that seemed to blend the two styles very well.

01-06-2009 18:08:54 | More by snpub540
meatyard

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A-Is a clear orange with a big white head that fades to a cover. Steady stream of carbonation and sticky lacing.
S-Is an interesting mix of pineapple & citrus, Belgian yeast + a little bubblegum.
T-Is peppery, doughy, some more bubblegum and a light bitterness at the end. The hops are subdued compared to the smell but shows up near the end.
M-Is medium & well carbonated.
D- Yep, this is very drinkable. The alcohol is apparent but fairly well hidden. One bomber of this serves it's purpose though.

The aroma is nice but I wouldn't mind seeing more hops in the taste. Since it's a bit unique I guess I can want what I want. As it is it's a fun, enjoyable beer that I would like to have something like this every 2-3 weeks. Good effort, nice beer.

01-06-2009 01:09:58 | More by meatyard
RustyDiamond

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Taken from my tasting notes on 12.27.08. Glowing orange with a pretty white fluffy head. Very striking in the snifter, exceptional. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerines and rock candy. Huge bitter orange peel hop flavor with a lingering hop finish. Spicy, dry mouthfeel. Slightly prickly on the tongue, very big tangerine hop flavor. Great lacing in the glass...very tasty.

01-05-2009 20:42:56 | More by RustyDiamond
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Pours a beautiful, clear golden-amber color with an enormous head. It almost escaped my liter-sized snifter. Decent retention and lacing, though the head reduces in size rather quickly because of the giant bubbles. The smell is purely of hops, citrus, a bit of pine and fruitiness. It makes me wonder where the belgian part comes in...until I taste it. You get the characteristic flavors of a belgian ale, almost that yeastiness, sweetness, fruitiness of a trippel. You lose the hop flavor and aroma quickly after the head has reduced and there isn't a whole lot left to smell. There is some bitterness, but really, neither the yeasty belgian goodness nor the hoppiness is able to conquer the taste of the alcohol. You get peachiness, and burning sort of, but mostly that taste that certain unbalanced beers get, and I have not learned to love the taste, and I doubt if I ever will. That really hurts you after you let the taste sits in your tongue for a second. Then you notice that there isn't a huge amount of body to this, unlike most belgians and IPAs. I found myself early on wanting to get back and taste it again, but as it went on, I found myself satisfied but still interested. I finished it kind of slowly, but I still enjoyed it enough to want more.

01-03-2009 01:28:15 | More by taylorhamrick
Reagan1984

Poured into my tulip glass with a very clear gold color and a nice foamy white head. Decent retention and even better lacing. Quite a bit of visible carbonation. I nice looking beer.

The aroma was a touch musty and earthy and also had a great deal of spice. Interesting.

At first some mild citrus, then sweetness. After this I was getting a lot of spices. Mint and ginger. Pretty enjoyable. The carbonation definitely brings some life to the flavor.

A pretty light and refreshing mouth feel. Nicely drinkable.

Good but not as good as their Trippel.

12-31-2008 15:58:37 | More by Reagan1984
ncstateplaya

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

I poured this into my new Ommegang flute while watching the 2008 Papa John's Bowl. Not a good game for me as my Wolfpack lost to Rutgers, but I tried to not let it show in my review of this beer.

Appearance: The head caught my attention more so than the actual color. It was extremely frothy and cream colored, measured at three fingers. The was a "mushroom cloud" in my glass that was very impressive, and stuck around for quite a while. It poured a hazy orange, I am assuming because of all of the yeast, with golden edges. There was a decent amount of lacing, however it did not stick around on the glass for long.

Smell: The alcohol esters were abundant as was a musty yeasty smell. There was definitely a caramel malty presence that went nicely with the subtle spicey hop aroma.

Taste: The alcohol was what caught my attention at first. Almost to the point of tasting more astringent like. This property mellows as the beer warms. It was very bitter and had tons of spice from the hops, as well as hints of apricots.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium bodied ale with plenty of hoppy spiciness and malts to keep your mouth interested. The carbonation keeps the tongue tingling and the alcohol definitely warms as it goes down. The malts led to an pretty smooth finish.

Drinkability: Not one of my favorites, but I can appreciate this craft brew. It is an enteresting extreme beer, but the alcohol-astringent flavor turns me away.

12-30-2008 18:21:22 | More by ncstateplaya
ikats

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Slightly hazy gold in color with thick white head. Belgian-style aroma - light and refreshing. Aroma is full of fruity notes, cloves, some gratefruit and some pine notes. If you think too much, hops (American addition) are quite obvious, but they blend in so well that they work perfectly. Taste is very bitter, plus hops stick to your tongue to provide you with a bitter after taste. This beer seems to give the tongue a good scrubbing. Mouthfeel is pleasant and the beer is very drinkable giving the right circumstances. This beer will go great with some food.

I didn't plan to review this beer when I picked up a bottle to open. However, see how it's wonderful, I figured I have to get it on record. Nicely done beer.

UPDATE: I did not edit anything in my original post which was based on the first glass of chilled Le Freak. As the beer warmed up and as I drank more of it, its taste moved more and more towards hoppy bitterness. I was pleasant, but if you're not a hophead, you won't enjoy it.

12-29-2008 05:29:52 | More by ikats
kajerm

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Bomber, a nice little surprise found at Toll Gate Liquors in Wilmington, DE.

Pours deep amber and translucent but slightly cloudy-- more orange and less opaque than Belgian examples. Lots of lacing. This beer looks more IPA than Belgian, and it smells that way too, with a big pineapple-citrus aroma over a background of fruity esters and malt.

The flavor profile starts out in Antwerp, goes to San Diego, and finishes somewhere in between. Caramel malts and spicy phenols dominate the opening, with citric hop flavors swelling mid-palate; hop flavors slide into hop bitterness, and then finally the phenols and esters come in at the end, along with just a drop of alcoholic heat, blending neatly with the lingering bitterness.

There is no way that anyone would mistake this for a Belgian beer, but even though it's a California hop bomb, the Belgian characteristics are strong enough to keep it interesting (and appropriate for the style.)

Mouthfeel is oily and resinous and very, very SoCal. This is not a session beer, but alcohol is restrained enough that it's possible to forget it's there at times-- at least until you wake up in someone else's bathtub.

This is probably the first American attempt at a Belgian IPA that I've tasted that wasn't just trying to reverse-engineer Houblon Chouffe (not that that's a bad thing), and I can't wait to see more like it.

12-29-2008 01:14:11 | More by kajerm
badbeer

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Golden color with a white head that has excellent retention and lacing. Bubblegum, citrus hops, clove, and nutmeg in the aroma. Bubblegum, clove, citrus, nutmeg, and allspice in the taste. This beer reminded me of New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat. Medium body and medium carbonation. I'd definitely enjoy having this again; very good beer!

12-28-2008 01:33:46 | More by badbeer
weeare138

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Appears a semi transparent, hazy light gold with a 2 finger head of off white fluff. Decent retention and lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of sugary, estery, doughy yeast with some citrus, and floral, herbal hops coming through with a peppery spiciness.
Taste is of the mentioned aroma with estery, spicy, caramel, apple, vanilla, citrus, sugary, hoppy.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sticky of sugar & hops, boozy, and warming.

12-27-2008 20:08:01 | More by weeare138
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Golden-bronze with a fluffy off-white head, excellent retention, good lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, mango, tangerine, banana, clove, nectarine, pine, cotton candy. Awesome. Seems perfect for a Belgian IPA.

T: Tangerine, nectarine, pine, grapefruit rind, steelie grass (I'm guessing Amarillo & Crystal), cloves, candied pineapple, nice spiciness, pleasantly assertive bitterness, alcohol is well-hidden. A little more IPA than Tripel.

M: Moderate to full body is smooth with some hop acidity and a dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable for its strength.

12-27-2008 16:39:29 | More by Derek
LilBeerDoctor

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Reviewed on 9/9/08. Bottle. Pours a deep orange with a hazy ring of white head. Aroma of lots of sweet melon rind. Flavor of more melon rind and light fruits with a bitter rind finish. Heavy mouthfeel. More of a Belgian strong ale than an IIPA...I'm not very impressed by this beer. There are much better hoppy Belgians, this one is a little boring and bland.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5)

12-26-2008 17:10:59 | More by LilBeerDoctor
NCBeernut

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a transparent golden orange with a big pillowy cap of foam. Looks sticky and icky. Man, the marriage of those Belgian yeast aromas and piney hops create the perfect smell of Christmas...Christmas trees..mmm. Tingles the nose. Subtle maltiness infused in these smells. Fuck yeah. Taste is SPICY! Everything hits you at once. Belgian yeast flavors everywhere similar to those of a spicy wit beer. Hops aren't as in your face as the American versions I am used to; hops just work with the yeast to create a wonderful spiciness. Warming alcoholic edge that is definitely perceivable but it works VERY nicely in this beer. A very very faint hint of a soy-like flavor in the finish. White pepper. Some sugary sweetness takes a backseat to all this spiciness (I really can't say it enough), but comes out in the finish. As far as mouthfeel goes, spicy tingle with a little too much bubbly carbonation for my taste...it goes with the theme of the beer I guess...I can't really decide how I feel about it. I won't have any problem drinking this bomber.

12-23-2008 22:37:07 | More by NCBeernut
bonkers

I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. The beer pours a hazy mandirin orange color with a massive sticky white head. The smell is heavy on spices. It smells like a triple. The beer is crisp and leaves a fruity/ spicy taste in my mouth. I was expecting more of a hop profile, but I guess that is why it is a Belgian IPA. The beer is medium bodied and highly carbonated. It is a sipper, which is good because the high ABV is barely noticeable. A solid hybrid type of beer, worth trying but maybe not worth the hype.

12-19-2008 19:14:36 | More by bonkers
MEsquandoles

4.18/5  rDev +4%

22oz bomber into Duvel tulip. My only bottle. Would certainly like to have it again.

Color is a gorgeous peach-golden gradient. Bubbles were all mid-sized at first, a bit unimpressive, but looks more Belgian carbonated after awhile. Somewhat clear, then hazy, but some yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle - I poured this in at the end.

Aroma is bit lacking in power, but interesting. Bubble-gum spice Tripel yeast dominates with some banana-clove, but some West Coast dry hop as well (significantly less than GF WC IPA, but some similar flavors).

Flavor: If I had to name dominating flavor in one word it'd be peach. Progression goes: Peach - Honey -Mango - Pear - Pineapple - Pine - Pear - Pine. Finishes with green hop flavor, some green peppercorn and maybe some white pepper that cover the high abv. Not harsh. Belgian flavors come through in waves. Still some green hop/pine on the pallet 20 seconds later. Nice balance. I'm glad there's not more Tripel sweetness.

The WC hop and Belgian yeast flavors have definitely melded by now. I'm not sure when this was bottled, but it tastes like almost 6 months of melding. However, the whole still seems a bit lesser than the sum of the parts - it's got some intense parts. I'd love to try it again in 6 months (but kept cold to preserve the hops!)

I'd be interested to see the recipe, but I'd guess a Tripel yeast and some Belgian Tripel-style candi sugar, American DIPA hops and malt, and maybe some Belgian-style beer malts too. I'd also like to know the FG, as it's obviously a big beer, but has a nice finishing dryness that I enjoy.

I've had no trouble reaching the end of this bomber. A pleasure.

Even amongst Stone 08-08-08, Chouffe Houblon, and Urthel Hop It, I'd certainly recommend it.

12-19-2008 02:08:21 | More by MEsquandoles
Flyer

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A little surprising that the whole is not greater than the sum of the parts, but when the parts are this good, it probably doesn't matter. Pours orangey-yellow with aromas of orange peel and belgian candi sugar, plus a little pear and peach. Big flavors of trippel and sugar up front, quickly washed aside by a delicious wave of bitter citrusy hops. Finishes bitter hoppy with a trail of sweet. Worth buying, but ultimately will it be more than a great tasting novelty? I'm not sure.

12-18-2008 01:00:52 | More by Flyer
jojox

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

a - gold, slightly cloudy, fair amount of sediment. Small, holding head. Tons of sediment in the bottle.

s - belgina yeastiness, clove + bananna. Smells like a belgian trippel.

t - like a belgian trippel, bittering hops stronger at the end. Peppery at the end. Aftertaste is a bit IPA-ish.

m - nice, dry and well carbonated.

d - good. The trippel aspect shorts it for me, but only due to personal dislike of trippels.

It's like a belgian trippel with a good amount more hop bitterness.

12-16-2008 15:28:47 | More by jojox
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

22oz bottle received as an extra from a very generous soul in LA who goes by the handle of JRS. Thanks, Josh! You and Evan have hooked me up with some absolute gems!

A: I carefully decant this into my Duvel tulip, yielding a crystal clear orange beer with a massive off-white head with great retention. As the head slowly recedes, it leaves a ton of lace. Pretty awesome

S: On the nose this is surprisingly subdued on the hop front. I had this on cask a couple of months back and the hops were a riot. This time round, they're more muted with some citrus and orange notes. The spices do jump out, though, with clove, pepper and some floral notes. Intriguing. Swirling in the yeast adds a (surprise) yeasty complexity and evens out the balance fairly well

T: On the palate, this opens up with some moderate hop character that's quickly overwhelmed by the spicy characteristics from the yeast, incredibly aggressive it is. Tons of white pepper, clove and a strange anise-like astringency. There's some mild malt sweetness but it's overwhelmed by the spices (at least on my palate) Finishes dry and spicy. After I reviewed it, I poured the yeast and that does make this seem a little more muddled

M: Carbonation is pretty spot on and the body is pretty light and tripel-like. The finish is pleasingly dry but the spiciness is a bit much

D: The spices do hurt the drinkability but I'm glad I got to try it.

12-16-2008 03:29:17 | More by DefenCorps
wheelinshirt

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

22 oz bomber from Abe's in Bethlehem for around $8. Poured into a small juice glass and slim mason jar (the only things around).

Cloudy orange straw color, really intriguing color. Big, cloudy white head, awesome retention, tons of lacing. Visible CO2 bubbles floating up through the murk--amazing to look at.

Smell was hoppy, fruity, spicy, sweet. Looking forward to this. No sign of the 9% ABV.

This beer is dry but not overwhelmingly so. Bitter, sweet tasting, fruity and spicy yeast esters really round this out nicely. If the booze is there it is really subdued.

Mouthfeel is hurt somewhat by the bitterness that lingers in the mouth. This is where the lack of malt character shows its downside. I'm still glad this one is as dry as it is. Mouthfeel is somehwat of a necessary casualty. It is actually smoother and easier to drink with the yeast dregs swirled in at the end.

Drinkability is great. I would definately have this again and could have easily finished the bomber on my own. A bit pricy but definately worth it, if only as a one-time (or once in a while) treat.

12-13-2008 02:19:34 | More by wheelinshirt
Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.