Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Generally: I bought this Le Freak because it had been taking up room in our beer fridge for way too long. Having said that, I am a fan of Green Flash and will try pretty much anything they brew. I was somewhat hesitant to try this particular beer because, stylistically, a blend of Belgian Trippel and Imperial IPA sounds dangerously like too much of a good thing.

The Pour: Beautifully effervescent honeyed hue, with a long lingering, snow-wjite head--very finely carbonated.

Face in the glass: In addition to the belgian yeast I expected, there's a really nice medley of lemon peel, spice, and citric hops; sweet, floral, and expressive. Eventually, apricots show up.

Temperature: 55 degrees seems to be about perfect for all of the aromatics to come alive, but I think you want to avoid it much warmer than that. It's fairly full-bodied and extremely bitter, and it seems like it's just going to slay your palate and your will to keep drinking above, say, 60 degrees.

With Regard to Taste: It tastes like a well made beer, but I am not a fan of this blend of styles. As I suspected, it is just too much of a good thing, to the point that nuance is nowhere to be found. That is not to say that there are not a number of things going on here; I mean simply that the three or four notes are all shouting! Ultimately, you get a nicely done yeasty Belgian sweetness bookended by intense hop bitterness. The yeast lingers with the bitterness, but the bitterness is overwhelming. The hop bitterness that I love tends to express more botanical notes, across a wide spectrum, but I find this bitterness a little medicinal. All in all, not very pleasant, and definitely not for hop novices.

Epitoma: An absolutely huge blend of Belgian Trippel and Imperial American IPA with just a little too much bitterness to be well-balanced. This tastes like a wallop of a beer, and it drinks like every measure of its 9.2% ABV. If we're being critical, and I always am, I say Green Flash fell down on this one. It's the least enjoyable beer I have had from them. I finished the pint ten minutes ago and the bitterness is still on my tongue. Dang!

Note: The Trippel side of this beer is quite sweet and nice--spicy and very drinkable. I wish they had simply left the IPA out.

Serving type: Bottle

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

I am trying to single-handedly support Green Flash's entry to the MN market. Because I want them to stay. So here we go, another GF beer, 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

The pour is orange. It seems like I've had a large amount of orange beers lately, so the color is starting to, well, it's orange. Why is everything orange? The nose is very Belgian, cloves, bananas, sugar. Much more tripel than IPA up front.

Le Freak has the tongue piercing, but works in Accounts Receivable during the day. There's a nanosecond of hop up front, slightly bitter, mostly floral with a side of pine, but then whoosh! It's gone. The Belgianity of the brew replaces it with everything in the nose: banana, cloves, sugary sweetness, & a zestiness that's almost reminiscent of rye. Hops reassert themselves on the finish, which is long, dry, & bitter. Grows on me as I start to wade through it.

Tripel with hops, love the idea, end result is a good beer. Can't see this accelerating into a trend, but I'd love to see the concept run up the flagpole again.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Green Flash Le Freak Ale. Green Flash Brewing Company, San Diego, CA. "Zesty Brew", it says on the label. Alc. by Vol. 9.2%. I'll read the rest of the label after drinking.

Highly hazy. Dull golden coloring, apricot-ish. Nice, dotted head of foam, creamy white, lacy.

Aroma: lightly spicy notes, lightly hoppy one, and Belgian yeast. Just a little bit funky.

Taste: A lot livelier in the mouth than it was in the nose. Very vibrant on the tongue, a zesty brew, indeed. Big and bouncy. Is it a triple? A Belgian IPA, and Imperial one? Some combination thereof? Plenty of citrus fruit notes in the flavor, plenty of pepper. Good drinking, despite the high A.B.V.

In all, I like this one just fine, but it didn't thrill me. They can't all.

So, yeah, that's all I've got to say. What do they say? "An 'out of the box' modern ale crafted by converging two beer styles, Belgian Trippel {sic} and American Imperial IPA. Dry-hopped and bottle-conditioned--it's a zesty brew with enticing American hops and fruity Belgian yeast aromatics." --signed, ----(I can't read his signature), Brewmaster.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A - The pour reveals a cloudy golden orange color with a modest white head that recedes to a small ring around the glass. A slick lacing coats the sides of the glass, subsiding quickly leaving some splotchiness behind.

S - My nose is immediately met with aromas of Belgian yeast (estery) and citrus fruit and ensuing spices; notably clove. Layers of malt are also detected. This doesn't remind me of an IPA. I'm not sure what to expect from the flavors, but let's give it a go.

T - Very complex! You can taste the hops off the bat followed by a heavy dose of yeast. Clove, banana, and malt are very noticeable alongside a dry finish with a good amount of bitterness.

M - Carbonated, for me, perfectly. It reminds me of Boulevard Strange Tripel. No alcohol is present. Very well made!

O - An interesting beer that I would drink again. It's definitely one you need to sit down, sip, and enjoy to detect all of its nuances. Great job by Green Flash!

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Picked up a 22oz bomber at significant discount. Figured I'd give it a whirl...

A: Pours a pretty dark orange / light amber into a Duvel tulip glass... almost tea-like; a bit cloudy from some bottle conditioned sediment that's been stirred up on the pour; thick, off-white head manages some very nice retention, leaving impressive rings of thick, sticky lace.

S: Light clove and estery aromas from the Belgian yeast; white pepper; grapefruit pith; cracker malts. It seems to smell more of a tripel, initially - then evolve to IPA territory as it warms... interesting.

T: A very interesting blend of flavors makes it difficult to pick up on individual nuances. I'd say that the esters typical of Belgian yeast are quite noticeable - mainly the clove and bubblegum notes. Although they are not huge, as the imperial IPA hops / malts tone things down... Citrus hops and light touch of pine resin round things out.

M: Full mouthfeel; low-medium carbonation; creamy. Very nice feel.

O: This is a style that I don't try very often. I usually find the blend of tastes off-putting or forced. This one is really not bad. Don't really know if I'd have it again, but it's pretty tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.