Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is pale gold with fluffy white head which leave loads of lacing and has nice retention. Tons of cascading bubbles as the beer sits in the glass. Nose starts with heavy belgo yeast which brings some bubblegum and clove. Hops come through with notes of earth, grass, and a touch if booziness. Taste is somewhat sweet with Belgian notes which bring some sweetness and spice to the table. Hops are next and while they are very present, they don't bring much bitterness to the flavor. Mouthfeel is very bubbly with medium body. Overall, this is exactly as billed.. A hoppy triple. Not my favorite style, but nothing bad about this brew.

homebrew311, Nov 10, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Amazing! Sometimes I feel like an IPA sometimes a Belgian Style...This is both. Very unique, Floral/citrus and malty aroma, beautiful caramel amber color, Bready and mildly bitter hop notes.

Take special notice of the orchestration of the balance between the hop bitterness and malt sweetness.

A must try, Drink It!

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

sansho, Oct 29, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Generally: I bought this Le Freak because it had been taking up room in our beer fridge for way too long. Having said that, I am a fan of Green Flash and will try pretty much anything they brew. I was somewhat hesitant to try this particular beer because, stylistically, a blend of Belgian Trippel and Imperial IPA sounds dangerously like too much of a good thing.

The Pour: Beautifully effervescent honeyed hue, with a long lingering, snow-wjite head--very finely carbonated.

Face in the glass: In addition to the belgian yeast I expected, there's a really nice medley of lemon peel, spice, and citric hops; sweet, floral, and expressive. Eventually, apricots show up.

Temperature: 55 degrees seems to be about perfect for all of the aromatics to come alive, but I think you want to avoid it much warmer than that. It's fairly full-bodied and extremely bitter, and it seems like it's just going to slay your palate and your will to keep drinking above, say, 60 degrees.

With Regard to Taste: It tastes like a well made beer, but I am not a fan of this blend of styles. As I suspected, it is just too much of a good thing, to the point that nuance is nowhere to be found. That is not to say that there are not a number of things going on here; I mean simply that the three or four notes are all shouting! Ultimately, you get a nicely done yeasty Belgian sweetness bookended by intense hop bitterness. The yeast lingers with the bitterness, but the bitterness is overwhelming. The hop bitterness that I love tends to express more botanical notes, across a wide spectrum, but I find this bitterness a little medicinal. All in all, not very pleasant, and definitely not for hop novices.

Epitoma: An absolutely huge blend of Belgian Trippel and Imperial American IPA with just a little too much bitterness to be well-balanced. This tastes like a wallop of a beer, and it drinks like every measure of its 9.2% ABV. If we're being critical, and I always am, I say Green Flash fell down on this one. It's the least enjoyable beer I have had from them. I finished the pint ten minutes ago and the bitterness is still on my tongue. Dang!

Note: The Trippel side of this beer is quite sweet and nice--spicy and very drinkable. I wish they had simply left the IPA out.

Serving type: Bottle

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

deadliest, Oct 24, 2013

zestar, Oct 24, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

I am trying to single-handedly support Green Flash's entry to the MN market. Because I want them to stay. So here we go, another GF beer, 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

The pour is orange. It seems like I've had a large amount of orange beers lately, so the color is starting to, well, it's orange. Why is everything orange? The nose is very Belgian, cloves, bananas, sugar. Much more tripel than IPA up front.

Le Freak has the tongue piercing, but works in Accounts Receivable during the day. There's a nanosecond of hop up front, slightly bitter, mostly floral with a side of pine, but then whoosh! It's gone. The Belgianity of the brew replaces it with everything in the nose: banana, cloves, sugary sweetness, & a zestiness that's almost reminiscent of rye. Hops reassert themselves on the finish, which is long, dry, & bitter. Grows on me as I start to wade through it.

Tripel with hops, love the idea, end result is a good beer. Can't see this accelerating into a trend, but I'd love to see the concept run up the flagpole again.

maximum12, Oct 23, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Green Flash Le Freak Ale. Green Flash Brewing Company, San Diego, CA. "Zesty Brew", it says on the label. Alc. by Vol. 9.2%. I'll read the rest of the label after drinking.

Highly hazy. Dull golden coloring, apricot-ish. Nice, dotted head of foam, creamy white, lacy.

Aroma: lightly spicy notes, lightly hoppy one, and Belgian yeast. Just a little bit funky.

Taste: A lot livelier in the mouth than it was in the nose. Very vibrant on the tongue, a zesty brew, indeed. Big and bouncy. Is it a triple? A Belgian IPA, and Imperial one? Some combination thereof? Plenty of citrus fruit notes in the flavor, plenty of pepper. Good drinking, despite the high A.B.V.

In all, I like this one just fine, but it didn't thrill me. They can't all.

So, yeah, that's all I've got to say. What do they say? "An 'out of the box' modern ale crafted by converging two beer styles, Belgian Trippel {sic} and American Imperial IPA. Dry-hopped and bottle-conditioned--it's a zesty brew with enticing American hops and fruity Belgian yeast aromatics." --signed, ----(I can't read his signature), Brewmaster.

feloniousmonk, Oct 22, 2013

Giggy, Oct 19, 2013

Mervjahn, Oct 16, 2013

hopkrid, Oct 14, 2013

amishbooze, Oct 14, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A - The pour reveals a cloudy golden orange color with a modest white head that recedes to a small ring around the glass. A slick lacing coats the sides of the glass, subsiding quickly leaving some splotchiness behind.

S - My nose is immediately met with aromas of Belgian yeast (estery) and citrus fruit and ensuing spices; notably clove. Layers of malt are also detected. This doesn't remind me of an IPA. I'm not sure what to expect from the flavors, but let's give it a go.

T - Very complex! You can taste the hops off the bat followed by a heavy dose of yeast. Clove, banana, and malt are very noticeable alongside a dry finish with a good amount of bitterness.

M - Carbonated, for me, perfectly. It reminds me of Boulevard Strange Tripel. No alcohol is present. Very well made!

O - An interesting beer that I would drink again. It's definitely one you need to sit down, sip, and enjoy to detect all of its nuances. Great job by Green Flash!

Cubatobaco, Oct 13, 2013

emwilke, Oct 13, 2013

jaydoc, Oct 12, 2013

scottwurst, Oct 11, 2013
Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.