Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007)

khargro2, Jan 02, 2014

GAMB1T, Sep 20, 2014

KimenTshom, Feb 05, 2012

Waveoff, Aug 12, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow color. Head is large, long lasting, and white. As I hold my glass up to the light, I realize this beer looks exactly like a hefe. No matter, as it's still an inviting looking beer.

Aroma is a yeast fruitiness, lemon mostly. Hops are detected, but I got a couple snorts of beer up my nose for trying to smell them.

Some good hop bitterness hits me up front. Followed rather quickly by the yeast flavors. Much like a tripel. I'm not picking up any malt flavors, however, and I'm not sure I approve of that omission. Seriously, a really good hop and yeast combo though. Hops are somewhat indistinct, however, and I wish there was more west coast citric hopping going on.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little chewy, and semi sweet finish.

This beer is kind of all over the place, and sometimes in the wrong places. This is an OK tasting beer, although not really for me. I have yet to taste a better Belgian IPA than the one Furthermore Brewing makes. That being said, I would drink this again if I saw it on tap somewhere. Cheers.

dancinwillie, Feb 24, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Imbibed on tap at the green Flash tasting room on 12/30/11. Review done from notes and recent bottle tasting to refresh my memory.

Pours a nearly clear golden rust with little head. Bubbles are irregular, suggesting the Belgian yeast used in this beer. It should be noted that the bottle version had about three fingers head. Although it's not going to blow when you open it, be careful with this one. Zesty, piney, biscuity, with a bit of grapefruit along the banana and grape esters. Mild spiciness detected from the yeast, this has more body than the other Belgians I've tried from GF. Malt bill suggests tasted white bread. Spicy, pungent Belgian yeast goes up to your nose with the first sip. Banana, allspice, and cinnamon come through in taste. Musky Belgian yeast takes over and combines with bitter hops, which taste green and fresh. Some toasty malt comes through but the bitterness lingers in the back of your throat reminding you it's an IPA. Acidic and watery with a dry finish.

This one was interesting, but ultimately a bit disappointing. I guess I should have tried this first in my sampling, because the Rayon Vert set the bar too high. Ultimately, this one is too yeasty and pungent. Don't know if I would buy again, to be honest. Understand that this is only because GF makes better beer. This is still a complex, interesting Belgian inspired IPA.

Philousa, Jan 21, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I have always been interested in a Belgium / IPA style of beer. This one poured a little darker than a wheat style beer. The aroma was heavily on the Belgium side. The distinct nose of some of the yeast/hops they use make it different from other beers.
Since this was a West Coast beer, I thought there would be some of the typical medium to high IBU to give you that dryness and bitter taste with the nose of citrus and grapefruit. I think the Belgium side of this beer won out.
It was enjoyable drinking this from the first sip. Nothing that really stood out for me. A solid beer, but just not my style

rdilauro, Jan 14, 2014
Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.