Green Flash Le Freak - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Le FreakGreen Flash Le Freak

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-08-2007

This Belgian Style IPA is an "out of the box" convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgian Trippel.
Reviews: 730 | Hads: 2,301
4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

To my delight I got this in a trade from hophead101. One of my favorite styles of beer, excited to try this one.

Appearance: Hazy ruby orange with an incredible 2 finger white foamy head with great retention.

Smell: I can smell this from across the time. Strong banana aroma, yeast, very fruity.

Taste: First sip is delicious. Bready, fruity, piney and citrus all in one. Slight warming alcohol that doesn't bother me at all. A little bitter but delicious.

Drinkability: Great sipping brew. I can drink a bomber but that's it. Its meant to be sat with and enjoyed. This is a great example of the style. One of the best being made in America that I've had so far.

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

A - Golden with a tall off white head

S - Clove and spice. This is not a good sign as it is reminiscent of other IPA/Belgian meshes I have tried out here on the west coast.

T - Not as bad as I expected. Still too much clove and spice flavor for me. Grains are prevalent as well. I have come to face the fact that I just don't enjoy the southern California take on the Belgian style trippel/IPA.

M - Smooth and unremarkable other than that.

D - Not really drinkable for me. The flavor is somewhat unpalatable to my taste. I would prefer something with a little less spice. Just not my style. This will be the last of the like that I will try.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: cloudy yellow/gold - about three fingers of head.

Smell: Strong smell of hops, belgian yeast - like witbier/saison, alcohol

Taste: Tons of hops up front and then transforms into a belgian tripel. Alcohol bite hides behind the bitter hops up front. An amazing fusion of flavors - like a good mashup by Girl Talk.

Mouthfeel: hop bitterness, dry - nice effervescence from tripel

Drinkability: this one is very drinkable - I felt that it's a sipper - I wanted to savor this beer moreso than drink it because I liked it so much. I wish we got Green Flash in Charleston - then I could enjoy this beer on a regular basis. Great fusion - I recommend for the beer drinker/geek who appreciates both styles. Very cool!

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into my Rochefort chalice, beer forms a 2 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Apple juice golden in color with some lacing, beer looks enticing. Nose is yeasty with notes of banana, clove, hops, and pine trees. Hops are mellowed well on the forefront by the malt but the hops kick in big time in the finish and linger in mouth for a while. Taste like a Tripel until the finish when it transforms into a strong IPA. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and creamy, very nice. I appreciated the uniqueness of this "combo" styled beer. I typically don't enjoy Tripels or IPAs too much but thought this one was pretty good.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

poured from a 22oz bottle into a new belgium tulip

Pours a hazy dark amber color with a 3 inch creamy head that slowly dissipates and leaves some beautiful lacing all the way down

Smells of sweet malts but I detect almost some winter spices with cinnamon and cloves.

Taste is more belgian style malt flavor with some mild hoppiness at the end. Again I taste the winter spices and warm cinnamon bread.

The body has medium carbonation and just enough silkiness to hang around on the mouth

The 9% is somewhat detectable which is the only thing that would limit the drinkability on this one. Otherwise it's a fine blend of two styles that I very much enjoy. If you are looking for a hop bomb or a belgian sweet bomb then look elsewhere; Le Freak tries to marry the two and pulls it off quite nicely

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a very murky rusty orange color with mildly frothy head that drops down quickly to about half a finger worth and leaves only the slightest bit of lace. Nice looking beer.

S: My sniffer isn't the best right now so forgive me if I'm a bit off in this department....The first thing I notice is a very distinct very sweet sugary malt, it is followed or mixed with a pleasant piney hop scent and what I think is a somewhat peppery spice. Very nice smell, basically what the bottle says a mix of an IPA and a Belgian

T: Starts out with a nice bitter flavor that tastes very earth with an ever so slight taste of citrus which leads way to the Belgian side of things with the sweet malty flavor that helps to balance out the hoppy side of things. Finally it ends with a perfect blend of the two flavors in a wonderful aftertaste or piney hops and what I'm going to say tastes a bit of banana, sweet malts and spices. It's an interesting take on this type of style....whereas the other types of these I've tried tend to be more Belgian front tasting with a bit of a hoppy IPA taste, the guys and gals at Green Flash seem to have reversed it and made it more of an IPA with a Belgian twist. Very interesting I like it.

MF: Nice mouthfeel a bit high on the carbonation and it does pack a bit of a punch on the tongue but it is still very enjoyable.

D: It does hide the alcohol very well and it is very tasty I don't know how many of these or how often I could put one of these down, though it would be a great beer to share amongst friends.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Enjoyed a fresh bomber poured into a pint glass. Ate a nice guacamole and green chile burger and downed this bad boy.

Pours a hazy orange/straw color with a thick off white head. Head subsides into a foamy cap and then into a frothy lacing.

Smells like a Belgian IPA. Toasted malts, subdued citrus, fruity esters of banana and clove, hints of tobacco and aspirin. Complex and gives the immediate impression of a well-balanced beer.

Tastes like it smells. Hits the palate with toasted malts up front, which gives way to copious fruity esters and grapefruit, which linger with a pleasant bitterness. Bitterness eventually gives way to a chalky and toffee-like flavor. Alcohol is extremely prevalent and hits with the esters.

MF is medium bodied with enormous alcohol presence, which is quite pleasant. Resins are prevalent and stick to the teeth for minutes after the last sip. Despite the bitterness and the above traits, I found this quite drinkable.

Overall, this is a delicious Belgian IPA that stands out in a field of clones. As this genre becomes more popular there are plenty of half-assed attempts out there; this is not one of them.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

A very clean clear copper color with a thick white head.

The aroma is very fruity, floral and spicy with a clear hop note.

Wow, the hops just momentarily took my breath away. MMMM hoppy goodness. There is some malt to balance it all out, but this is predominantly hops and alcohol.
The body is good, the finish dry and the carbonation low

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a duvel glass for the tasting

A: clear, deep golden, with thick melengue-like foam
S: yogurty yeastiness, that reminds me of Belgian-saison yeast, bit of strawberry
T: fruity candi flavor (can't describe actual fruit) upfront then quickly transition to hop-flavor and bitterness which linger on the tongue.
M: soft and silky smoothness, light on the malt side. the bitterness is relatively sticky
O: nice Belgian pale with hoppy twist. very good

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to PEBKAC for this, it was on my wants forever.

Pours a golden orange with a rocky white head.

Smell: Lemons, Pine, Yeast, Grapefruit, Oranges, and Pine.

Taste: Pepper, Lemon, Bread, and Apples. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Nice dry bitterness.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks pretty great. golden/red colour with a white head that sticks around and leaves great lacing.

More belgian on the nose than I expected. Heaps of typical tripel scents with pear, dried apricots, spicy phenols plus lashings of us hops giving juicy citrus.

This is a belgian IPA. I have tried what are meant to be the best in the style, and this is better. I have to give it a 5 due to that, right? Or at least a 4.5. However, I love this so much imma just go ahead and say it deserves the 5. Wow. I dont know what to say. The elements are balanced so perfectly. The yeast sets up a rich fruity, estery, spicy flavour which is supported by a strong malt base. Then the hops just scream right through - spicy and peppery as well as the typical us hop characters.

I am really suprised at how good this beer is.

4.46/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: 3 finger white head of robust foam, orange and bubbly.

S: Bubble gum, banana, Belgian yeast, spicy hops

T: Holy Moly! A lot going on here. Banana/Clove yeast like flavor quickly gives way to piney, spicy hops. This is a wonderful hybrid of Belgian Tripel followed by West Coast IPA. This is a big league beer, as to be expected from Green Flash.

M: The only drawback on this is mouthfeel. It is a little light, but only because my expectations were higher with the ABV. Surprisingly drinkable.

O: Highly recommended. If you like this style, Green Flash nails it. I have had 3-4 different Belgian IPAs and this is definitely the best I've had thus far.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance is about as good as it gets, bright golden amber color with pillow of white foam on top that sticks around for a while and leaves some impressive lacing.

Smell is fruity, with cloves and floral hops. Lots going on here.

Taste is sweet and musty Belgian yeast followed by fruity hops with hints of mango and pineapple. The fruity hops and sweetness balance out and finish dry leaving this beer very drinkable.

Good amount of carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. The alcohol is well hidden and the hops are more floral than bitter. Very smooth

Overall I'm finally getting to review this beer after drinkin it on many occasions. One of my if not my favorite Belgian ipa. Super drinkable and tasty beer

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up bomber at Sam's Quick Stop for $8.

Pours murky golden peach color. Nice thick frothy head, gives way to a firm steady sheet of lacing. Nice combination of spicy phenols, clove, sweet belgian candi sugar, and Belgian yeast aromas. Also some pine and citrus hop aromas layering underneath. A definate west coast spin and I like it. Taste is much the same, nice clove, candy sugar, and spicy phenol and yeast flavors to start. The finish however gives way to a nice citric, piney, grassy hop bitterness. The warmer this got, the more the hop bitterness started to come to the forefront. Body and carbonation are spot on. Phenols are there, but in a more spicy character and not detracting at all. Hey, you got your triple in my Ipa, no you got your Ipa in my triple! A San Diego style Triple, you betcha. A really nice balencing act, that hit me in my wheel house. Seek this out.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Split two ways with my lovely wife. Tripel is her favorite style, while I prefer IPA's...

A - Cloudy, bright orange with very little head after the pour.

S - There is a dry spicy belgian yeast, complemented with a fruity citrus flavor that is sharper than most tripels. Not a lot of hops in the nose.

T&M - A little more bitterness in the taste, but this is much sweeter than it is bitter. The balance of spice from the yeast and citrusy malt, finishing with a slightly bitter dry hoppy flavor come together very well. A little lower on the carbonation than I would have expected. Very nice nonetheless.

D - It comes across as a bit heavier than I would like, but that could be the malt-forward aspect. It certainly hides the 9.2% ABV.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz bomber poured into snifter. Golden/honey color with tight lacing around the glass.

Very nice combination of styles here. Scent brings plenty of fruity notes and spices that I can't quite place. Very hoppy yet biscuity with a dry finish. Moderately carbonated and not too over the top on alcohol makes for an easy to drink, very tasty Le Freak.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Mission Pizza in Fremont (aka "Freakmont"). ABV not listed above, but bartender said it was 9%.

This is definitely an example of worlds colliding. Served in a pint glass, cloudy yellow with a fluffy white head that lingered, leaving behind some solid lacework.

Strong aroma of hops, typical of a west coast IPA. And of Belgian yeast & spice, typical of a Belgian tripel. My brain can't figure out which way to go with this one, as the pull is equally strong from each direction. Tasting only adds to the confusion, as the flavors match the aromas. These are not two styles I'd in any way associate with one another yet there they are living harmoniously in the same glass.

An unusual animal for sure, but with a nice, smooth mouthfeel and a subtle alcohol warming at the end, this stuff is oddly satisfying.

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a bomber with no freshness date

A: Pours a hazy light straw color with a fluffy white head that has faded into a thin layer.

S: At first all I can smell is the Belgian yeast and a bit of alcohol. As the beer warms an estery fruitiness and a faint hop bitterness appear as well.

T: Very interesting taste. At first it almost seems like a triple gone sour. But as it warms and I drink more of it the flavors become clearer. The beer tastes of Belgain yeast and earthy hops.

M: Highly carbonated, which was expected. Medium body, I would prefer a bit thicker, but it's not bad.

D: This is not one of my favorites, but I would try it again because I have a feeling my sample was none too fresh.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours with a big head. Golden, lightly amber in color. Could not see through this one at all, really cloudy (although I couldn't see actual clouds like a Kolsch, just very non-transparent)

Smells of citrus and hops.

Tastes are similar to nose, good belgian yeast with nice american hops and spicy clove. Pretty hoppy, more IPA like the belgian.

Very good mouthfeel. Perfect balance of carbonation. Not too heavy, not too light. Nice full body.

Drinkability on this one is really high. Very smooth. Except the only thing killing this for a session beer is the high ABV, one is nice. Two might be one too many.

Overall, this is a very good example of this style. If you like belgians and IPAs, this one is for you. This beer tastes like those two styles had a baby.

2.34/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured from a bomber into Stella Artois chalice.

Bottle states "Extreme ale converging San Diego-style imperial pale ale and belgian-style trippel." If only.

Pours an opaque, hazy amber with some yellow straw color coming through at the edges. A medium-aggressive pour leaves a nice, creamy 2-3 finger head that leaves nice lacing. A bit of yeast-y sediment floating around. If only the rest of the beer was as impressive as it looked.

The nose is all hops. Not really what I was expecting as it is supposed to be an imperial pale ale (not a IIPA) mixed with a trippel. Taste is about the same. Piney, bitter hops from start to finish. The belgian aspect of this beer is almost non-existant, perhaps because the hops are just simply way too over-powering. Reminds me a bit of Brewworks 'Hopsolutely', which is a triple IPA.

IMHO, a pretty poorly executed beer. The balance between the hops and the belgian flavors is completely out of wack. This brew would get much higher marks from me if it was just listed as a DIPA, but I'm rating to style. This brew is completely over hopped (and I'm usually a fan of hoppy beers). I would not seek this out again.

3.62/5  rDev -10.2%

[Poured into an genericl tulip glass]

I: My friend was raving about this beer, so I eventually picked a bottle for myself. It states"a converging of two beer styles, Belgian trippel and American IPA" both of which I love. I'm hoping I like this beer as much as I like the description. I really like Green Flash's west coast ipa, so I'm sure it wont be too bad.

B: [9.2% ABV, 1 PT. 6 FL. OZ.] A pretty generic bottle in shape, but the label retains a good amount of information. A decent summary of the beer with the standard info, that should be included on all beer labels,except expiration(i suspect that its those hard to find ones imprinted into the bottle). Overall it's adequate, but green flash never had the most inviting presentation with their labels.

A: Transparent amber/orange body with a fluffy head(fast dissipation), and some scattered/spotty lacing.

S: Bread malt and citrus/ light American hops. Comes off on the earthy side.

T: Off front is the sweet bread malt with west coast hops followed by a citrus zip. Taste more American to me, but the presence of a Belgian beer lingers.

M: Dry, Medium bodied, light/medium carbonation, and medium alcohol presence(that can creep).

O: A little too hyped in my opinion, but definitively an interesting beer. Appearance wasn't great to me, smell was adequate, taste was lacking the Belgian side, and mouth was decent. Worth trying at least once, but not something I would buy again, or recommend.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

The brewers at Green Flash Brewing Company have really out done themselves with this convergence of beer styles where American Imperial IPA meets Belgium trippel. The end result is a zesty brew with enticing American hops and Belgian yeast aromatics that lead you to delicious malts and a complex layering of hop flavors that quench and refresh your pallet. When you pour it you notice its orangish amber color with a huge amount of American hops on the nose with notes of citrus. The palate itself feels heavy at first but then leaves you with a silky smooth mouth full of yeast and hops beautifully layered with fruity flavors of banana and grapefruit.

Clear Honey color with a thin white head.

Smells clean, nice esters, peaches, apricots, some yeasts and bread.

Taste is earthy hops up front and a medium alcohol presense. But, it lost all the fruity esters?

Body is lite to medium with zesty carbonation, hop bite, dry finish, medium alcohol warmth.

A Hops forward ipa. Earthy hops have a good bite, alcohol well hidden along with the other ingredients. If you like hops and alcohol up front this brew will suit you!

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Poored into my trusty dfh snifter. amber colors and thin white head. thin layer of bubbles stays on the top for quite some time.

S: Honey, Orange, ciderlike acidity, spice. hops are all over the front of the nose.

T: Sweetness at the front is too quick to leave, bitter hops follow quickly. Cascade and amarillo maybe? They arent kidding when they say this has san diego style IPA in it, and the aftertaste is slightly too bitter for a belgian for my taste.

M: Light and bubbly on the tongue. Smooth for over 9%

D: Drinkable like a belgian because its light and bubbly, but not so much because the bitterness sticks to the back of your tongue.

If youre a hop head, this beer is a MUST. Even though I like some IPAs, Im no hop head. I will always think of Belgian IPAs as less hoppy (La Chouffe Houblon)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours slightly hazy orange with tons of fluffy off-white head that recedes at a snails pace leaving a good deal behind on the glass.

Some banana esters in the pour, with more of a spicy clove and peppery hop aroma. Some sweetness behind that with hints of fruit candy like starburst and a dose of malt.

First sip is pretty suprsing if you are accustomed to estery belgians with low hop profiles. The normal sweetness and bready yeast flavor are quickly dominated by suprisingly intense hop bitterness. Hop flavor is mostly floral with some peppery spice complimenting the clove from the yeast. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and dry. No real alcohol presense aside from a mild warming sensation.

Very tasty, if odd at first. Finish is quite bitter and dry, which impacts overall drinkability a tad. But its a nice belgian to savor.

Green Flash Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing Co.