Green Flash Grand Cru - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Grand CruGreen Flash Grand Cru

pDev: 19%
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: kleffman on 03-03-2008

Reviews by schoolboy:
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Green Flash makes first rate stuff but I had not previously tried this one. It's a beautiful dark brew with a nice head and lace. Very clear. The aroma is a little weak, but not offensive in any way. The taste, though full and appropriate for the style, is understated. This is not an American version, it is true to the style. It doesn't seem to need aging. This bottle was from 10-30-2012, so about 5.5 months, and it is just fine - I would not want it to settle in as it might with age.

It's a decent Belgian that I would buy again, but a bit pricey.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance - This was a rather unattractive mud-brown in color with a disappointingly modest head.

Smell - I like the playful yeast in the nose but the malts are too burnt, not a good burn like caramelized onions sticking on the bottom of your oven-roasted baby potatoes but more like that idiot at work who leaves his multi-grain bread in the toaster 30 seconds too long. Also conspicuously absent is any sort of fruity sweetness, a hallmark of the true Grand Cru.

Taste - Thankfully the burnt flavor is hardly noticeable at the taste, so that's definitely a plus. Again though the lack of a deep, dark fruit flavor leaves me wondering how they expect this effort to stand up to others readily available.

Mouthfeel - This was the low point of the ale for me. The overly-toasted malts contributed a harsh bitterness to the finish and this ale lacked the classic fluffy carbonation found in better efforts of the style.

Sinkability - It's not often I dump a 9% ale down the sink, but now that I think about it maybe that is why I did it. You can't down too many more beers after a strong bomber like this and I just didn't want to waste my alcohol intake on something so lacking in quality and appeal. Probably one of the worst Grand Crus that I've ever had.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Dark brown color with some ruby red highlights. Thin tan head.

Fairly malty aroma. Sweet fruit. A bit of spice.
Pleasant aroma.

Nice malty taste with a bit of yeast. Dark fruit. Some spice to it, seemed like clove.

Medium-boied. Alcohol well-hidden. Maybe a little more spicy than I wanted.

Good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew appears light black--kind of black like a malty stout, but light in that you can see light make it thru if you tilt it just right. Both head and lacing were present throughout the drinking session. The smell is Belgian. Though the label says "mysterious," the smell is distinctive Belgian. I smell no malt, no chocolate, no vanilla, no oak, and--not saying there should be any of those flavors--all I smell is Belgian. I don't drink many (b/c I don't really like 'em all that much), and it took me a while to recognize the aroma. Eventually (and perhaps clued in by mention of Belgian yeasts on the bottle), I remembered this Belgian smell. The taste--what do you know--Belgian. That's all I can say--it tastes similar to every genuine Belgian I ever remember having. I'm sure it's a result of inexperience with the style, but that's all I can report in regards to taste. I really can't even call it malty or sweet; I just call it Belgian. The mouthfeel is good--I taste the alcohol and the carbonation allows the beer to sort of thinly coat my mouth. As I allow the beverage to just rest in my mouth, I can feel the taste disintegrate into layers...layers of Belgian taste. If you like Belgians, this has got to provide for you a drinkable brew. Since I don't really like but respect them, I'd call this a slightly better than average (Belgian) beer.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

22oz bottle. Pours brown with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sugary malts, molasses, dark fruits and some alcohol. As it warms, sharp alcohol starts to dominate.

The flavor is roasted nutty malts, molasses, dark fruits and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I didn't really care for this - it seemed like a pretty simple Belgian strong. I thought is was overly sweet and alcoholic.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

A delight several times on tap as part of the Belgium to Brooklyn fest at Muggs in Brooklyn, NY, last week and reviewed from notes. Poured dark mahogany, murky under a medium tan head, gobs of fine lace on the glass. Dark fruits in the nose. Full flavor, complex offering, dark dense malts, more dark ripe fruit, figs,rum drenched raisins. Buttery mouth feel, initially a bit sweet, but hops drop in late for a dry long finish. Simply yummy, big, bold strong and @ 9% quite heady stuff. Fine sipper/night cap. I don't recall seeing bottles of this one available in the my usual NY/Ct/Ma beer spots...what a shame

Thanks to slasher007 for sharing this bottle.

Pours dark brown with a white head. The aroma is very sweet with dark fruit. The flavor is Belgian yeast and cand-sugar with some dark fruit mixed in. The alcohol is present and is warming. A pretty basic Belgian-inspired beer, but nothing special. Still, I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they try it.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours dark brown with a squatty off-white head. No lacing to speak of. Deep, dark fruit aroma; prunes, plums, raisins, and concord grapes. Caramel candy, yeast, and musty malt as well. Sticky, yet carbonated mouthfeel. Compliments the sweetness of the beer, but gets to be a bit much towards the latter half of the bottle. Lots of sticky malt and dark fruits throughout the taste. Slight phenols pop up as it warms. Molasses, plums, and confectioner's sugar accompany the malt towards the back. A true Belgian, but leans into the dubbel category.

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

Mahogany brown in color with a light head that does not cover the whole top of the beer. I get some raisins and figs in the aroma along with some caramel tones. It's a bit thick in the mouth and you can tell there's alcohol. You get some serious sweetness in the flavor with hints of raisins,caramel,and molasses.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle shared by jophish17 - much obliged!

Pours a cloudy brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of raisins and brown sugar with hints of herbal hops.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Rustic sweet malt flavors serve as a backdrop for dark fruits - mostly raisins - and brown sugar. Midway through the sip hints of slightly herbal hop flavors join in and carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this is one of my least favorite Green Flash beers I've had to date but it's still a solid effort. Try the DIPA and West Coast IPA first then give this a shot.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%

A dark shade of amber with brown hues inside. The active, tan colored head...gone fast?

Sweetness in the nose, caramel and brown sugar, belgian candy, red grapes, raisins, Zinfindel wine aroma in many ways from the tingly heat buzz. Jammy, yeastie---good for an American yeast, slight sour grapes.

A very earthy flavor, bitter dry earth at first. Major tangy fruits, metallic heat, peppery and dry hops, acidic feel on the tongue and a good heat with dank juicy flavor's makes one thin Zinfindel. Grapefruit with sugar...the copmlexity is really good but the flavor's must meld together a bit better. Theyeast is actually pretty damn complex, this is usually the deciding factor to see if this American-belgo style is pulled off or not.

The feel is crispy, full-smooth ending, dry finish which is right on. I really enjoy the zin-like aspects to this one, dry-leafy and some dark wheat in a subtle way. dry-fruits estery with raisins.

complex, intersting and unique, not exactly then poster brew for the style, but i'm enjoing it totally.

Green Flash Grand Cru from Green Flash Brewing Co.