1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Ratings: 2093

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,093 | Reviews: 752 | Show All Ratings:
redneckchugger

4.93/5  rDev +20%

bottle courtesy of ygtbsm94
Pours jet black, huge tan head, takes forever to leave. Thick spots of lacing.
Huge chocolate, dark toasted bread nose.
The taste is out of this world. Like milk chocolate over dark bread on the front, some slight earthy hops on the midpallate and some bitterness from the roasted malt on the back end.
This is an amazing beer, easily one of the best i have had. Its not trying to reinvent the wheel. It just takes all the things you expect from a stout and does them flawlessly.
The best beer i have had this year.

09-26-2009 02:15:15 | More by redneckchugger
PatrickSwayze

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

Bought a 4 pack of these boys from my local farmers market store for only 8.99 and i consider that a steal. Love green flash but i have always passed this one up for some reason.

A: pours a deep black with a nice rich deep brown head that lasts quite a long time. Lacing remains throughout entire drinking session.

S: Only poured it into a standard pint glass but let me tell you, the roasted notes still kicked my nose into heaven. Plain and simple deep roast that is not overwhelming.

T: wonderful forward chocolate notes with a blended roast catching the sides of my tongue with a really mild tobacco/fig flavor pleasently whispering itself into fruititon as i breath out through my nose. Small trace of piny and grassy hop flavor towards the end

M: A great soft yet fluffy thick presence that rests gently on the buds.

O: I consider this one of my new favorite imperial stouts. And thats saying alot when my favorite are Speedway, The Abyss, Stones Russian, and Old Rasputin standard and XII. This just happens to be a sensational beer for a great price to enjoy on a nice cold night.

01-13-2012 05:39:43 | More by PatrickSwayze
sendsilk

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Received in a recent trade with HopMasterFlex. Thanks Kyle! 12 oz. bottle poured into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass.

A- Nice and dark. Nice mocha head that slowly recedes, and I mean slowly, this bitch is taking its time. No worries, I can outwait it. Seriously wonderful lacing. Is this shit a stout or a black ale? Kind of confused by that.

S- Great smell. Still wondering WTF it is.

T- Okay, now I don't give a shit what "style" it is. Brilliant beer. Why the F is this not highly sought after? This is a gargantuan beer. Totally delicious. I got 2 in a trade and 2 as extras and now I wish he had sent 10 as extras. You hear that traders...more of this for me in the next trade. They may not fully appreciate it when it gets to them but when they drink it they'll want more. Solid extra bro.

M- Great, blah blah blah, coats my mouth with sweet esthers and other stuff, whatever that means. It's solid and thick, my kind of shit.

D- If I had 12 of these I would drink 6 tonight. Then I would hoard the rest of them and have maybe 1 a month as a treat to myself.

Tradability- Hopefully low right now as I would like several more of these before people figure out how good this is. Pretend I am the Alstrom Bros. and 'send me beer'. This beer.

03-10-2011 05:50:37 | More by sendsilk
DavidST

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No date on the bottle, but it arrived only this week in the local store.

Pours a pitch black color with a large mocha head, which quickly dissipates down to a thin layer (Without a doubt I think a double / IRS are the best looking beers). The smell is of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee. Medium to thick mouth feel which coats the mouth, nice and creamy. The taste is dark chocolate, coffee and dark roasted malts, its very smooth on the way down and has a nice lingering bitter after flavor, very good, the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

Overall another great Green Flash product, this has become one of those breweries where I'll try any of their products I can find and expect great results. This double stout is no exception, a wonderful example of the style. I thought I might wait a few months to see how well this ages, but its pretty perfect right now. Excellent brew, this just might be my favorite stout thus far.

07-16-2011 19:18:27 | More by DavidST
DaveBlueHollywood

4.85/5  rDev +18%

I don't like dark Beer I would never order one or purchase in a store, until now. I tried the Double Stout as part of a tasting and I could not get enough. It pours like Jagermeister, very thick. I usually drink ales and lagers, so I prepared my knife and fork to get threw the sample.

I took a wiff and was very suprised, very pleasing, had a nice head but not so thick that you would need a straw. It was smooth, like silky smooth, not bitter or heavy. Some coffee like qualities in the taste, rich and creamy. Its not what I usually come to expect from a dark beer, I usually find stouts to be undrinkable, this beer is craveable.

It says in the guidelines that 5's should be rare, so i gave a couple of 4.5's as I am not an expert in beer tasting I cant grade mouth feel or smell but I can't imagine any possible improvement to the taste and apperance, so overall it has to be a 5 in my book. Welcome to Florida Green Flash.

10-04-2012 17:35:33 | More by DaveBlueHollywood
MoMaMe

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A really good stout.

I'm a Guiness Foreign Extra lover, and I like this one about the same, if not a little better.

The Guiness FE has a little better mouthfeel, but this one is pretty good as well, and has a bit better flavor.

It lingers on the palate with a nice finish. There is a definite strong and complex flavor with an ever so slight bitterness and brightness mixed with a malty sweetness. I really like this one, and it ranks at one of the top stouts that I've tried.

11-21-2013 23:16:51 | More by MoMaMe
mikeborglum

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours thick black like used oil with nice thick chocolaty head and long lasting laces. Flavor is bitter chocolate and coffee enhanced with roasted grains and herbs. A full body with creamy, oily feel, soft carbonation to almost lively, and nice long dry clean and balanced finish.

08-22-2011 00:28:58 | More by mikeborglum
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sampling right now on 2/8/14. Had this a few times in the past. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a very dark brown/black with a 2-finger beige head that settles down to just the top and sides of the glass. LOTS of lacing is seen. One of the most I have seen in a good while actually. Perfect carbonation. The aroma is very pleasing with hints of coffee and chocolate roasted malt. The taste is the same and goes down easy. No harsh or bitter aftertaste at all. Overall a fantastic Stout.

02-09-2014 00:05:59 | More by BeerWithMike
m1ked

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this the day Hamilton's had an "unannounced" keg dropped off by Chuck. Recently had it again at CBC.

A- Dark, dark, with a capaccino like foam head, that fades with minimal lacing.

S- Rummy, vanilla, smokey coffee.

T- Rich Belgian chocolate, smokey roasted coffee, rich creamy vanilla. All these flavors blend so very well in my mouth.

M- Smooth with a medium body. Not too heavy for a beer called double stout.

D- This is a great flavorful, easy to drink beer, let alone stout. I am glad I live in SD and have easy access to this one. I am interested to see how it fares at the World Cup this week.

04-16-2008 01:16:51 | More by m1ked
masonacoats

Louisiana

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

served from a bottle into pint glass

pours extremely dark brown/black with a decent sized brown head. Absolutely beautiful.

Smells of chocolate, espresso, nuts, little bit of caramel and bread. You can detect a bit of alcohol but not as much as the ABV would suggest. No hop aroma present to me.

Taste is about the same as the nose with chocolate and espresso taking the lead. Perfect amount of roasted flavor without the overpowering astringency some stouts seem to have. Perfect balance of sweetness and roasted bitterness.

Carbonation is perfectly appropriate for the style; maybe a little on the high side but I kinda dig it. Mouthfeel is nice and silky without being overly syrupy/chewy. Very good.

Overall, this is my new favorite stout; it's perfect. It has all the good chocolatey/coffee notes and great malt presence without the assertive astringency. Reasonable price as well.

03-04-2013 06:49:54 | More by masonacoats
TWM

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottle poured at about 50 degrees, two-finger head that persisted longer than I expected. The bottle was filled four months before I drank it- like that little tidbit on the bottom edge.

Appearance- Good for the type. Definitely opaque, very dark, head was thick and moderately persistent. Lacing was uneven, but still plenty to see.

Smell- This beer is defined by the malt and the roast, not hops or yeast. If you want a yeasty dark beer, find something else. If you want a lot of hops, try some others. This is a celebration of rich malts, and it started with the smell. Definite caramel and coffee, hint of chocolate and a sweetness that I normally expect with some Imperial Stouts or, of course, Milk Stouts. The smell was strong, persistent, and consistent with the flavor.

Taste- nicely bitter, balanced by the caramel tastes. Most prominent overtone was coffee, but this is such a strongly flavored beer that it has room for a lot of other flavors. The caramel and coffee notes were clear, there was something that reminded me of fruit or a homemade candy (peanut brittle?) that implied sweetness without making the beer actually taste sweet. The roasted malt was the star by far, and I loved it.

Mouthfeel- moderately heavy (hey- it's a stout!) but well evened out by the bitterness that didn't get overwhelming. The aftertaste was strong coffee- bordering on too strong, and the only (slight) downside to the feel.

Overall- This does not attempt to break new ground, just to make a darn good beer with dark roasted malts. Whenever I find this bordering on affordable, I'm going to grab some! Having said this, I can completely understand that many people would find it overpowering, too bitter, or just too much... but if you like dark beers, this is definitely worth a shot.

05-29-2013 01:00:05 | More by TWM
oberon

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

8.8%ABV per label,this new gem to NC poured a jet black no light showing thru this puppy in my 22 oz nonic a frothy one finger light mocha colored head atop.A whole lot going on in the nose dark fruit,charred wood,dark roast coffee,and a bit of leafy hop.This beer is mabey now mabey is one of the new standards of the style I mean the flavors just hammer the taste buds...in a good way of course.Its roasted to the hilt and with a real smoky character but has a sweet dark fruit element to go along with some bitter chocolate and even a touch of vanilla in the finish all along keeping its big roasty-earthy base.Wow this beer blew me away I knew it would be good but this is awesome!One of the best beers of any style to come my way in a real long time.

04-21-2008 21:17:58 | More by oberon
SDtastentune

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark dirty motor oil brown with a nice tan small head, light lacing.

S - Chocolate, whiskey, malts, alcohol'ish, .

T - Fabulous! Well balanced, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, whiskey'ish, deep malts.

M - Very balanced, lower carbonation that flows well with the heavy taste palate. Like candy, aftertaste is great & not overbearing... I like.

D - Very drinkable double/imperial stout.. makes me want to buy this one more.. at $5.00 a 22 its very drinkable. Goes down smooth with a great aftertaste. Greenflash does it again! Thumbs way up!

10-19-2010 22:58:17 | More by SDtastentune
GreenPea

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Wow, these folks nailed it. .Mine was poured from a bottle into a sniffer.

The appearance was midnight black with a dark 2 finger head. Semi soapy / semi custard.

If you took a cup of coffee beans, covered it in molasses then added malts and a sprinkle of chocolate you could duplicate this smell. I also pick up subtle hints of vanilla bean and rum.

The taste reminds me of raisins, coffee and chocolate with a malty finish.

The mouth is medium with that is carbonated just right.

I will buy this again once my fridge gets low.

11-28-2011 22:42:17 | More by GreenPea
wages

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Been drinking Green Flash beers for about 6+ months since it was first available in my town. We can get their IPA, Double Stout, and Hop Head Red (my favorite). Here's a fresh review of the Double Stout.

appearance - 4/5 - Pours pitch black with a brown head. As the foam settles, the head looks a little weird. Sort of like it is glazed or something. The head diminishes and leaves lacing only in the top 1" or so of the glass.

smell - 4.5/5 - Rich smell of alcohol and roasted chocolate goodness.

taste - 5/5 - Lots of chocolate and a sweet finish. Roasted taste lingers after the swallow.

mouthfeel - 4.5/5 - Thick, but not too thick. Perfect carbonation that doesn't distract. Has a slight almost syrup body that lingers a bit.

overall - 4.5/5 - I'd rather rate this like a 4.8 just because it blows me away every time I drink one, but there is truth in my assessment of the appearance (though appearances aren't that important to me).

01-25-2012 00:16:29 | More by wages
MVotter

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Black, with a about a 1/2 inch tan colored head after the pour...which disappears in less than a minute.

S - Coffee, sweet malts.

T - Sweetish caramel malts in the front. The finish has some a faint, ash bitterness.

M - More medium than heavy. Mild effervescence.

O - Absolutely delicious. I was looking for an imperial stout that, in my experience, could at least begin to rival Stone's RIS and North Coast's Old Rasputin. This may be it. Many in this style come across as too "maply"sweet, or actually have too much of a "hop" sweetness for my palate. And, this one starts that way...but, keeps its "spine" in the end. Nice.

I'm spoiled by what I believe to be the gold standard in this category: Old Rasputin. No RIS will ever match up, IMO. This one is just a little bit thinner texture; but, absolutely delicious!

01-22-2012 05:24:28 | More by MVotter
Kuaff

Alaska

4.66/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bomber into a snifter at cellar temperature.

Double Stout has a beautiful three-finger, light brown, rich, creamy head which has great retention. The bottle calls this a "black ale," and it is indeed black as night.

It smells like vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. O, the chocolate! Loads of both milk and dark chocolate! An excellent little whiff of coffee as well. I think there may also be a hint of tart dark fruits in here too... maybe raisins and cherries?

The taste has everything the aroma has and more! Chocolate takes the spotlight once again (oh, joy!). Then I get a fantastic earthy bitterness in the finish. This one takes my most favorite traits of imperial stouts and amplifies them with great success.

Regarding mouthfeel, the carbonation is fairly low, with a creamy and silky smooth body that goes down really nicely.

It's kind of like a brownie in beer form. Killer.

05-29-2013 17:06:49 | More by Kuaff
WesWes

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that lasts. The aroma is perfect. It has a smooth, rich chocolatey scent that boasts of black malts and sweet chocolate; just the way I like it. The taste is great. It is silky smooth all the way down. It's sweet up front with a stiff roasted backbone. It's laced with chocolate and coffee flavors; exceptional. The mouthfeel is perfect. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tremendous stout. I love the flavor profile and the excellent mouthfeel; another winner from this fabulous brewery!

07-12-2008 20:57:52 | More by WesWes
Aiptasia

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Sampled tonight in a pint glass at 55 degrees after a ahndfull of fried jalapeno chips. This beer pours an asphalt dark river into the glass with a firm mocha head. Lacing clings like fishnet to the sides in soft cascades.

The beer smells of depth, as if malts knew no bounds Mocha and roasted malt sinking ever deep as if to China. The most surprising taste to date for me from any stout. The flavor is soft, milky and subtle coffee and rich malt. Holy crap is this delicious. So many stouts hit you ov3r the head with coffee and mocha. This one takes a step back and lets the malt and hops through to balance everything out. Mouthfeel is wet silk with little to no strong aftertaste. No mouth mung feeling with this stout. Overall, this stout is incredible and I will be buying more when I can find it.

01-03-2012 00:28:07 | More by Aiptasia
evilkalla

Alabama

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Impenetrably black with half an inch of solid, thick head. Magnificent.

S: Dark roasted malt and coffee. Very nice.

T: Huge coffee and dark roasted malt flavor. Reminds me of eating a handful of black patent malt. Huge, deep stout flavor sticks around in the mouth for a long time. Undetectable alcohol. Very, very, nice.

M: Very solid, smooth feel throughout.

O: Fantastic imperial stout. One of the best I've had. Would buy this again.

03-01-2012 03:01:36 | More by evilkalla
russwaddell

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Thick brown head. Sticks around just long enough.

Totally opaque brown.

Extremely balanced, with relatively subtle chocolate and coffee. Sort of "essence of chocolate ice cream." Not much bitterness. Boozy finish.

Smooth and goes down real easy. Not too thick and heavy, not too sticky, not too burnt tasting.

11-12-2012 21:41:49 | More by russwaddell
BeerNotes

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Opaque abyss brown with a khaki head. Not much lacing.

S: Cocoa, coffee, oats. Lots of full, roasted character.

M: Really smooth with a bit of a tingle at the very end.

T: Big, bold, dark flavors. Abundant chocolate notes.

O: It’s a big beer, in every way, and the word ‘balanced’ doesn’t belong anywhere near it. It’s a celebration of dark, roasted malts and the flavor profiles that come with them. Those flavors really start to expand once the beer warms up a bit, too, allowing the more subtle, cocoa notes and a great dryness to come through. The end is absolutely incredible; bitter, dark chocolate with no hint of alcohol.

04-21-2013 18:18:22 | More by BeerNotes
pkalix

4.61/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a thick iced coffee pouring into the mug with chocolate milk-looking head. even the bottle is heavy.
earthy aroma with chocolate milk shake, chocolate, vanilla and toasty smells.
taste is roasty malts, full yummy, dark flavors. this is really good. i need to try more of the green flash brews, but i really pi$$ed 'em off a while back regarding their saison. i like how it tastes sweet at first and then the bitterness seems to drop off each side of the tongue. it's a full, hearty feel in the mouth.
not my favorite style, but i really like this. it totally filled a void and completely surprised me. i'm going back tomorrow to grab another one for me and one for a friend.

02-10-2013 01:42:18 | More by pkalix
beergoot

Colorado

4.61/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Coal-black body sporting a thick, rich, light brown head; plenty of lacing and rings on the glass. Mocha coffee and dark roasted malt grains with a touch of bitter chocolate and vanilla in the aroma. Rich chocolate flavors with a light astringency; soothing bitterness and a touch of alcohol. Very heavy, very smooth body.

Liquid black gold here! Bold presentation reinforced with delicious, bountiful spectrum of malt flavors. The hop bitterness tames the grain sweetness while the alcohol content remains in the background. Dark malts exude roasted grain and coffee character. An extremely tasty black ale heavy hitter...

10-24-2013 00:15:35 | More by beergoot
Packforever1976

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured at cellar temp into my brandy snifter.

A: Poured almost jet black into my snifter. A nice creamy tan head, almost 2 fingers. Damn, it looks good in that snifter. Head lowers slightly, but sticks around. Sticky lacing.

S: A mixture of milk/dark chocolate in the nose. Also some dark roast coffee and dark malty goodness. I'm also picking up a slight hint of hops in there. Alot going on in this one.

T: Whoa...yum! Chocoaltey, coffee goodness. Nice dark malts as well. Slight hops in the back. Man, this is tasty.

M: Nice thickness, very creamy. Chewy and viscous. This has a fantastic mouthfeel.

D: 8.8%? Could've fooled me. The alcohol is well hidden. Goes down so smooth. Absolutely sinful. If I had access to this it would always be in my fridge. Fantastic impy stout. Love the Flash..

12-21-2008 04:04:00 | More by Packforever1976
Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.