Double Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass. Poured pitch black, with a 3 inch mocha head, that takes sometime to settle into a solid set of bubbles. Lots of lace. Smell is chocolate, coffee, molasses, and some piny hops. Taste is all of those things, but way way more chocolate and coffee then the smell would have you expect. Fairly large body, for it's easy drinkability. Nice amount carbonation and not very dry. This is a very good stout and the price is right.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pitch black body that has a bit of transparency as it pours. Small tan head with good lacing. Nondescript, but good looking stout.

Smell - Wow, it smells good. Chocolate and coffee aromas with some slightly fruity aromas in the back. I swear I smell a hint of bourbon, but there's no bourbon in this. Maybe it's just some booze I smell.

Taste - A wonderful flavor, as well. Chocolate with a slight sweetness to balance a coffee bitterness. Roasted malt flavors and again, bourbon! Not strong, but I swear it's there. It finishes with a slightly grassy and earth hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - I wish it were thicker. It finishes pretty dry, in fact. It leaves me with the bitterness only and none of the good flavors.

Overall - I'm very impressed by this beer. I'm also impressed by how long in alcohol it is for how flavorful it is. I've been sitting on this bottle for nearly a year. Glad I opened it.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Velvet black coloring with a gorgeous glow. The head was deep dark brown with syrupy lacing and very good retention.

The scent was a dry chocolate with a touch of charred malt. Loads of marshmallow and smoky char there's a bit of coffee and toffee.

Creamy chocolate, marshmallow, charred sweet malt, a little caramel and toffee accompany a smoky coffee. The sweetness of the marshmallow and caramel malt seem prevalent and delicious.

The feel is creamy thick and full with limited carbonated sensation.

I've had this a couple of times and found this last experience to be outstanding.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

A: jet black with large dark tan head. Great lacing.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, raisans, malt, alcohol.

T: Very creamy and smooth. This beer really pulls off the alcohol without even feeling it. Big time classic stout flavors, done just right.

M: Easy, smooth, creamy. Couts the mouth and lingers.

D: For 8.8%, this is an incredabley drinkable beer that i wish i could get more of. Please distribute in MO. I have to go to AZ to get Green Flash.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Received in trade from Prototypic, thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a solid black with a fluffy smallish mocha head. Leaves a bit of lace on the sides on the way down the hatch. Smells of chocolate, roasted coffee, slight spicy hop in the background. As it warms I get some dried fruits as well. Taste is chocolate followed by some hop bite finishing with some roast and hops that linger in the palette for a while. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, thick body, light carbonation. Great stout, very creamy roasty chocolaty. Send more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pour of this stout is the most overwhelming frothy head I've ever seen. Big, whipped, thick & creamy. It looks like a root beer float!

The lacing & giant head calms down after a few minutes. Carbonation is higher than many stouts but not annoying.

Smell is of licorice, smoky, coffee, licorice and as it warms even more hops to balance.

Taste follows the nose. Coffee like bitterness & the hops keep it less malty. More dry on the aftertaste.

Overall a real good stout. It is a classic Cali/American double stout. Malt vs Hops balance. Not a total malt bomb. Similar to Old Rasputin.
If this was barrel aged with a touch of bourbon it could be world-class. As is, it's a wonderful example and should be tried.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer poured pitch black and formed a medium tan foam head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt, chocolate, coffee and anise. Flavor was of malt, molasses, chocolate and a hint of coffee. The body is medium light, which is unusual for the style. The finish is bittersweet and slightly burnt. This is a very good beer, yet the body lacks some complexity I expect from this style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle, I think it's about a year old. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a dark brown/black color with an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit (cherries) and some coffee and hops. It's a nice smelling brew, however the aroma is light. Taste is similar to the aroma (but much stronger), it tastes like coffee, roasted malt, bittersweet and milk chocolate, cherries, charred/burnt malt, and a bit of vanilla and hops. There's also a nice bitter coffee and hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich, and also a bit coating, silky and dry. Drinkability is very good, it's smooth and easy to drink. I think this is a pretty good brew overall, I don't think I've had a bad beer from Green Flash yet. I'd definitely buy this again in the future.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer on tap at The Great Lost Bear in Portland, served in a 14 OZ tulip glass.

A: pitch black when held to the light. Utter darkness. Creamy mocha colored half finger head fading to a halo around the rim and a film across the surface.

A: bitter dark chocolate up front with roasty French press coffee filtering through. Allusions of vanilla and the faintest notes of woodsy herbs.

T: taste follows the aroma very nicely, moving from one note to the next. Bitter chocolate, coffee, boozy vanilla and finish of woodsy herbs and faint notes of mint.

M: very smooth, surprisingly light and crisp. Carries its alcohol very well, though I feel slightly more body would have been more appropriate.

O: this is a very delicious beer, smooth and with complicated nuances. The drying alcohol elicited the herbal flavors very nicely, and complimented the roasted, chocolatey profile. I would definitely make this a regular, go to beer. I think this is stylisticly closer to a foreign export stout, but that's just my opinion.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%

We have stouts, Russian, oatmeal whatever. Then we have this untamed stallion. Tighten your belt and try to hold on for 8, % that is. This huge meal of a brew is so damn smooth that I was loving this hard, until number 3 then I had to step back out of pure respect. I don't go into the whole scientific break down of a beer. So let me just say this one is chocolate creamy velvet love in a bottle. Smells awesome, taste awesome. Fricken grand slam baby.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow. This was a big surprise for me. I'd heard that this was a good stout but I didn't expect it to be at this level.
A: Pours jet black. No glimpse of light through the glass. Nice creamy one-finger of tan head that sticks around.
S: I pick up vanilla, roasted malt, and smokiness right off the bat. A little bit of caramel and chocolate.
T: Just as the aroma, vanilla and chocolate, roastiness and smokiness. Really complex and a nice bitter finish that lingers that reminds me of a bittersweet bakers chocolate.
MF: Amazingly smooth and creamy. Such a full mouthfeel made me want to gulp not sip. The complexity of this beer is really working!
O: Super impressed by this Double Stout. I purchased just a single but I'm going to go grab a 4 pack so this can be in my normal repertoire.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up a four-pack of Green Flash Double Stout for $11.99. Cracking one open now to wash down some delicious charcuterie.

Brandy snifter glass.

Towering three and a half finger rocky head that's a bright espresso crema in color, shiny in appearance, and slowly popping down the glass. Completely opaque pour that shows some dark brown in the legs. The retention is pretty decent (I'm still waiting for this to fall a bit more). Already starting to lace before the first sip. Looks great.

First thing I detect in the nose is a powerful roasted malt with some cereal sweetness. Then, I can pick up some fumes of rocket fuel, which I thought a bit strange being that this doesn't even tip 9%. There's a nice aroma of baking chocolate and slathers of coffee with scorched milk. Spruce-y hop mingles with the already potent roasted grain bitterness and gets evened out by some maltose nectar.

Great smooth-around-the-edges kind of flavor. Milk chocolate, dark cocoa nibs, french press coffee, molasses, roasty char, some smoke, raw dough, and a much more pleasant alcohol warmth than anticipated from the nose. If there were no additives in the brewing process (which the bottle nor the Green Flash site lists none... and I don't understand why this is categorized as a American Imperial Stout short of the name), then this makes for an ideal Russian Imperial Stout in style. The coffee and chocolate flavors aren't big and bold, and seem mostly implied by the specialty malts used. If it were a RIS, I'd notch it above Old Raspy. If it were a RIS, I'd score the aroma higher. This is a velvety-smooth and bold brew with quality feel and amazing complexity. Perhaps a hair weak in carbonation, and definitely stands as a sipper. No over-the-top bitterness levels, big spicy finishes, booziness, or any other major flaws of note. I think it'd age well, but it's a great one fresh.

Very impressed by this beer, and not surprised, as Green Flash has proved to be in an elite class of brewing with consistent, unique, and well-executed beers in their lineup. Happy to have three more in my pack, and happy to share the wealth. Recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.