Double Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008)
Beaver13

Colorado

2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

12oz bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a big creamy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet grainy chocolate malts, licorice and some lactose and roast. Weird floral notes come out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet plasticky lactic chocolate with black licorice and a big roasted char bitter finish that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation and a bit oily.

Overall, it just doesn't work for me. The more I sip, the less I like it. It has too many off notes for me - plastic and too much oily char that makes the black licorice unpleasant as well.

09-28-2011 05:15:40 | More by Beaver13
dansmcd

Australia

3.28/5  rDev -20%

A - Jet black. Thin, flat cap of brown head. No lace.

S - Coffee beans, liquorice, coal, raisins, cherry.

T - Big, black coffee. Charred malt, a musty earthiness. Less dimensional than its nose, too much lasting coffee for me to get past to anything else.

M - Thin body for a stout, low carbonation.

O - I am not a coffee fan so this is not a hit for me, but I can see the attraction to this big, bold, brash stout, especially in the cooler weather.

09-27-2011 13:44:00 | More by dansmcd
womencantsail

On-tap at Beachwood Brewing

A: The beer pours black in color with a rather impressive two fingers of tan head.

S: Intense roasted malt and coffee aromas to this. Plenty of dark chocolate aromas with a subtle earthiness. Perhaps a hint of smoke, same thing for licorice. A bit of molasses and toffee for sweetness.

T: The roasted malt flavor is quite powerful with a slight bitterness and earthy hop note. Lots of strong coffee and dark chocolate flavors, maybe a bit of licorice and burnt sugar. Subtle sweetness on the mid-palate.

M: Medium bodied with smooth, medium carbonation.

O: A very tasty beverage. Another solid beer from Green Flash.

09-26-2011 22:57:12 | More by womencantsail
MrVonzipper

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Pitch black, oily and think looking while poured. Dark khaki frothy head with great retention and lacing.

Notes of chocolate, faint bacon, coffee, and roasted nut and malt. Nice rich nose.

Nice dark bold flavor starting off with chocolate, transitioning to a nice palate coating espresso flavor. Very nice balance and dark roasted malt character.

Mouthfeel is very nicely viscous and velvety with medium carbonation.

Overall a very nice bold, flavorful stout. Definitely recommend this one.

09-25-2011 20:36:25 | More by MrVonzipper
Alieniloquium

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pitch black body that has a bit of transparency as it pours. Small tan head with good lacing. Nondescript, but good looking stout.

Smell - Wow, it smells good. Chocolate and coffee aromas with some slightly fruity aromas in the back. I swear I smell a hint of bourbon, but there's no bourbon in this. Maybe it's just some booze I smell.

Taste - A wonderful flavor, as well. Chocolate with a slight sweetness to balance a coffee bitterness. Roasted malt flavors and again, bourbon! Not strong, but I swear it's there. It finishes with a slightly grassy and earth hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - I wish it were thicker. It finishes pretty dry, in fact. It leaves me with the bitterness only and none of the good flavors.

Overall - I'm very impressed by this beer. I'm also impressed by how long in alcohol it is for how flavorful it is. I've been sitting on this bottle for nearly a year. Glad I opened it.

09-24-2011 02:01:24 | More by Alieniloquium
kbuzz

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber bottle into a snifter - no date to be found.

A: Pours very dark, opaque even...thin, half finger head that fades quickly. What little bit remains is tan/mocha in color with small, fizzy bubbles. Some alcohol legs as I tilt the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate, some coffee. Plenty of roasted malts. I also get a confectionary sweetness. Reminds me of standing in line at a cotton candy stand in an amusement park. Some anise as well. Wonderful, wonderful complex smell.

T: Plenty of chocolate going on - a bitter chocolate that is balanced by that same sweetness in the smell...and when the alcohol tastes come out, it all blends into the taste of a candy truffle or a chocolate rum cake. Slight coffee notes. Not necessarily as complex as the nose would indicate.

M: Smooth, creamy beer that coats the mouth...although not as thick as I'm used to in a stout...just medium bodied. Finishes dry on the palate.

O: A pretty solid imperial stout. The taste was a little disappointing considering the nose, but still very enjoyable. Maybe a little thinner than I prefer in a stout as well. Definitely more on the chocolate/sweet side than the coffee/bitter side. Alcohol is well hidden and the beer is very smooth and well balanced. Would certainly drink again, but probably not in the 22 oz format.

09-23-2011 00:44:38 | More by kbuzz
fmccormi

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Straight pour from pry-off 12oz bottle to a Bruery tulip. No dating information on the bottle.

Appearance (4.0): Holy crap, a thick and fine three-finger dark khaki head fading to one finger of a rocky, dark tan head with light but consistent lacing on the sides. Body is black as night.

Smell (3.5): Coffee. Chocolate, and maybe some grassy hops at the end—hops are very subtle in the nose. Nice, but could use more.

Taste (4.5): Bitter, dark chocolate with some piney hops following, low coffee note throughout. Malts don’t taste heavy and sweet, but balanced, providing a nice, even base. The roast is bitter but not overdone, really approachable actually. Smoky for a second on the front of the palate. The hops don’t have to compete with any sweetness, they’re just there to complement the roastiness here, and that’s exactly what they do—hang out in the back, and make an appearance towards the end. Nothing’s jumping out in front here, everything’s working together, which I like . . . a lot. As it warms, it heads more toward chocolate, but the astringent taste of charring comes through more in the finish. Very neutral yeast, don't pick up on it at all.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Medium-heavy in body, leaning towards medium. Nice, soft but consistently fine bubbles all over.

Overall (4.0): This is a very nice double stout. I like this style because it allows the beer to head towards balance and moderation, sometimes underappreciated in beer today . . . this is nice. Like the label says, “Big, Bold & Complex,” but approachable. This is a beer I’d tell people who want to get into big stouts to be friends with, and one I’ll return to.

09-22-2011 02:06:48 | More by fmccormi
codsmith

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Jet black with a very thin brown head. Very appropriate for the style and ABV combination

M: Nice and rich sweetness coming off of the top that somewhat covers up a roasted character from the malt on the backend.

T: Big bolt roasted flavor that has a decent amount of bitterness at the end to counteract the sweet smell. I would prefer a little less bitterness at the end, its a little too harsh.

M: Very smooth and creamy on the forefront. The carbonation is at a perfect level for the style and ABV combination.

O: Very impressed with this beer. I've had some of GFB's other lighter beers that were good, but this one ranks above all of those bar far. Nicely done.

09-18-2011 19:17:34 | More by codsmith
Kendo

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body is black, with a 1-finger chocolate-brown head. Leaves behind some decent clingy patches of lace.

S: Reminds me more of a porter than a big stout - roasted barley malt, some charcoal, and coffee. Nose opens up as it warms.

T: Pretty much follows the nose: roasted barley malt is there in force, with a touch of campfire wood, plenty of coffee, and, as it warms, it becomes a bit chocolatey. Lingering drying bitterness cuts through the predominant malt characteristics, however, providing nice balance. Bitterness lingers, coating the mouth - becomes more noticeable after a few sips and as it warms up a bit.

M: I would like the heft to be a bit heavier, but otherwise this is solid. Carbonation is fairly active. Call it medium in heft.

O: Quite good. I'm liking this one more as it warms.

09-17-2011 02:50:20 | More by Kendo
ajaxivan

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

First time drinking this, looking forward to it.

A: Great deep black color with 2 finger light brown head

S: Lots of chocolate, roasted coffee, slight bitter smell

T: Tons of chocolate. I don't think i have ever gotten so much chocolate out of a stout like i am with this one. roasted malty goodness

M: Nice and full

O: Great beer, Damn good beer but why does it have to be so pricey? I love G Flash, i just think they are a bit too high for what you get. $12 for a 4pk just means i wont be drinking this often. That being said, solid.

09-16-2011 22:07:54 | More by ajaxivan
EgadBananas

Louisiana

Big thanks to Cisco619!

Pitch black color, with a nice brown head. Great lace.

Huge chocolate aroma! Plenty of roast, with a slight char and molasses.

Plenty of chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, slight burnt sugar taste.

Fairly full bodied, creamy and slick. Feels nice.

Solid Imperial Stout. Loving the chocolate!

09-16-2011 01:09:39 | More by EgadBananas
OWSLEY069

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours jet black with a brown head. In the aroma, a light coffee roast. In the taste, a dry coffee roast and mellow pine hops in the end. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry, mellow coffee roast in the aftertaste. Lack of nose, but nice mellow hops all the way through.

09-14-2011 14:07:42 | More by OWSLEY069
BJA

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: Black. Ebony. Completely black with two fingers of head that was a vibrant brown/black color (I have to get better with my descriptions of colors). The head lasted several minutes and left decent lacing on the glass as I drank the beer down. Not the stickiest lacing I have seen though.
S: Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and anise. These scents blend well. The scent is strong.

T: Tastes a lot like the smells. Roasted malts (but not overly roasted: well balanced), dark chocolate (like bitter chocolate I think), coffee (of medium strength). I don’t get much anise in the taste. I also don’t think the taste is incredibly sweet. Maybe that is apparent when I mention the dark chocolate flavor.

M: This is a heavier beer but not the heaviest I have encountered by any means. There seems to be just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate a bit. I find it disappointing when beers of this style do not have enough carbonation to cleanse the palate.

O: Damn good beer. The nose remains present to the last drop. I find that impressive along with unicorns that can still manage to propel themselves into the stratosphere the next morning after a night of heavy drinking at a carne asada and pollo asado bbq. (Rabbit trail). I find the beer to be very drinkable and the high alcohol is well hidden. Too well hidden?

I love when beer is ebony. It probably skews my ratings in the appearance department, because I want to award 5s to those beers that accomplish this (with an equally impressive head of course). I originally wrote this review while drinking this beer for the first time. I have now had several (this is a different night; I am not hammered). My original interpretations hold up, and I continue to love this beer.

09-10-2011 02:38:30 | More by BJA
Smokee

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

This poured, black/brown with a thin tan head. Chocolate, bready smell, not too much though. Great first sip. A little boozy, coffee, bread, and a peppery 2nd taste. Chocolate, coffee as well. After sitting, the head maintains much more than I thought.

Overall great.

Very drinkable and very interesting.

09-09-2011 23:15:08 | More by Smokee
drabmuh

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

For some reason this is my 2200 review. Beer is served in a small snifter. Beer is black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, no lacing low carbonation.

Aroma is malt and alcohol, sweetness mostly.

Beer is medium bodied and much better than I expected, overall the beer is malty and sweet with a nice finish, not too bitter, not dry, good throughout. I'd have this beer again.

09-09-2011 16:23:01 | More by drabmuh
Cylinsier

tap

Pours jet black, looks silky, short fine head is a tan color like coffee with cream in it.

Smells of dark roasted cocoa and hints of coffee sans coffee acidity, along with mild smokey aromas and maybe some caramel malts.

Flavor follows, a tad smokey but mostly a roasted flavor with some chocolate and caramel, maybe some vanilla, and a hint of breadiness to it as well. What little bitterness is there is coffee-like, again sans acidity. Rich to be sure, but not overbearing.

Medium feel with mild creamy carbonation.

Really good stout, hides its potency well and is just delectable across the board. Particularly enjoyed the addition of coffee flavors while avoiding the normal acidity that tends to come with that. Not my favorite stout ever, but certainly up there and would definitely try again.

09-09-2011 00:50:02 | More by Cylinsier
UCLABrewN84

Pours an opaque black with a 2 inch thick dark khaki head that settles to a small cap. Randsom swaths of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, bread/biscuit, and slight chocolate aromas. Taste is of dark roasted malt, bitter cocoa beans, and some hop flavors on the finish. There is a slight roasty/hop bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good stout that has more roasty aromas and flavors than any sort of coffee/chocolate found in other stouts.

09-06-2011 03:58:41 | More by UCLABrewN84
elNopalero

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for this bottle. He knows how much I like stouts, and I couldn’t wait for cooler weather to drink this one. Can’t tell how old this one is but I’ve been sitting on it for a couple of months. Should be fine, since it clocks in at 8.8%. This beer is advertised as “big, bold and complex.” It definitely lives up to its tagline.

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. The beer is a dense, dark, velvety black. More like dark chocolate, a shade of dark brown just before pitch black.

I get a big eruption of billowy foam. Poured about half the bottle, waited for the beer to settle, then topped it off two more times. So I have a solid finger’s worth of dense, creamy head to take in.

And you know what? It smells wonderful. Just full of big, roasty, creamy, aromas. Sharp, perhaps even some hop bitterness on the edge? Definitely lots of dark chocolate and some vanilla sweetness that rounds it out. And the faintest whisper of the crema from an amazing espresso. All this in the nose, I can’t wait to taste it as my mouth is watering in anticipation.

I certainly catch the big roasty flavor from the first sip onward. Not a lot of the sweetness that I smelled, but more of the sharper, bitter chocolate and coffee/espresso notes.

The beer surprises by being lighter to the palate than I expected. Especially for a double or imperial stout I anticipated it being thick, heavy. There’s a nice bit of carbonation that keeps it light, however. It’s hot, for being nearly 9% I definitely notice the alcohol.

I sipped it and thought of long nights and cooler weather.

09-06-2011 02:28:57 | More by elNopalero
onefalsemove711

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle poured into a large snifter.

A - Poured a deep dark brown (just a shade away from black). Two finger head mocha colored head that stuck around for a good while before becoming a sticky lace.

S - Coffee, chocolate, malt, rich bourbon and earth.

T - Coffee, malt and hops enriched with a bit of anise on the finish.

M - This beer has a nice viscosity and richness which really contributed to a great overall mouthfeel.

O - A big bold stout that has great complexity. I really enjoyed the bittersweet hoppy anise flavor that this beer possesses.

09-06-2011 00:13:11 | More by onefalsemove711
dubinsky

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

12ox bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a fairly thin dark brown, almost black color. A vigorous pour yields a three finger head with a light mocha colored foamy head with lighter highlights at the edges. Very resilient lacing is left behind as the head subsides.

S – Dark Chocolate, molasses and brown sugar give way to a bit of a licorice finish on the nose along with a strong wet hop aroma. The longer the beer sits and warms up the more vanilla and coffee I’m able to pick up. Its a good smell, but not mind blowing.

T – This is rather cold still, however initial tastes yield huge dark chocolate, coffee and vanilla flavors. Much better tasting than I thought it would be given the aroma. Huge roasted malts and grains with a nice full roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavor. Some smokey char pressent. Fairly sweet and delicious.

M – Thick and chewy. Not at all what I was expecting given the pour. Although this is an 8.8% abv beer, its masked very well. Well balanced with perfect carbonation for the style.

O – I was not expecting this good of a stout from a west coast hob bomb maker. Very clean and clear flavors, not muddled as others who do not normally brew darker style beers. I highly recommend this beer and am so glad I can get this on a whim.

09-01-2011 04:02:08 | More by dubinsky
cjacobsen

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to LieutenantSour for sticking this one in the box.

(A) Pours jet black with a nice thick brown head. This is opaque and blacker than night.

(S) Big on cocoa with some coffee, plum, and really dark fruits. Some hint of sweetness like black cherry.

(T) Black and roasted chocolate malts hit up front, then give way to fruits. Some plum, definitely some dark cherry, some raisin, licorice. Biscuit. Some leathery goodness works it's way in. Coffee in the aftertaste at first but more fruits as it opens up.

(M) Full body. Pretty thick. Smooth on the tongue.

(O) It's a lot fruitier than I had expected. It's definitely malty and rich. It's an excellent brew. Big flavor without really being big in the gut. Quality.

09-01-2011 02:35:07 | More by cjacobsen
PorterLambic

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a very dark brown with a dark tan head. not much lacing from such a yummy-looking head. Very little light penetration.
Smell is toasted malts, soy, dark fruits, whiskey, coffee. Decently balanced.
Taste is toasted malt, coffee, hops, whiskey. Balance is good here as well.
Full-bodied with a light effervescence. Creamy at the start though transitioning to a dry finish. Some warming, mostly in the throat. Toasty/coffee note lingers for quite some time. Pretty good brew.

08-30-2011 03:05:30 | More by PorterLambic
iadler

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a jet black with a tan two finger head that slowly dissipates into a thin cap leaving nice sheets of lacing.

S- Dark chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, coffee beans

T- Follows the smell with dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt and coffee beans.

M- Low carbonation and medium body. Creamy and rich mouthfeel that is slightly syrupy. No sign of the 8+ ABV.

O- Really enjoyed this as there was no alcohol bite, making it very drinkable. Could easily drink this on a regular basis during the cooler months. A straight forward, but well executed stout.

08-26-2011 03:54:52 | More by iadler
mikeborglum

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours thick black like used oil with nice thick chocolaty head and long lasting laces. Flavor is bitter chocolate and coffee enhanced with roasted grains and herbs. A full body with creamy, oily feel, soft carbonation to almost lively, and nice long dry clean and balanced finish.

08-22-2011 00:28:58 | More by mikeborglum
cavedave

Live review

Oil change thickness and color, not much head, barely a skin of light brown, some clingy legs of petroleum consistency.

Medium aroma, espresso and roasty grain, molasses, dark caramel, fresh hop bitter scent, even a hint of floral.

Hold the phone! Quite full flavored, starts deep roasty grain and coffee bitter, bitter chocolate, alcohol spice, sweet burnt caramel, and some really deep herbal, char bitter, and pine in a remarkably dry finish which holds an illusion of balance with a micro-unit of sweet.

Very thick, yet feels less viscous, very low carb., lasting in the mouth, clean flavors and cling, excellent finish that (slap me for this, I deserve it) could be a touch more sweet.

What a great stout, extemely brash, bright, and a killer dry finish for such a crankin' malt bill. Huge, heavenly, highly recommended.

08-20-2011 02:21:15 | More by cavedave
Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.