Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Double Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Double StoutDouble Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 03-17-2008

We explored 19th Century British Stout recipes, then charted a fresh course to land on a modern American version of the old-world classic. Our Double Stout encompasses the very best of both worlds. Golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malt offer a luscious balance of bittersweet chocolate and hints of coffee. Fair winds and following seas. Smooth sailing, all the way home.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 853 | Hads: 2,994
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash Double Stout
Poured into a Stone stout glass:
Black pour, luscious body, fat finger of cappuccino-colored head that fades to reveal nice lacing.
Smells of chocolate, raisin, fig, plum. A dark fruit bouquet soaking a chocolate twizzler.
Taste has roast that enters upfront, char, then the chocolate dark fruit comes forth, nice bitterness from some hops. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, thickly satisfying. Sticky. Carbonation is medium.
This is a big winner. A great example of the style, and as far as RIS's/ imperial stouts go, the best bang for your buck out there right now.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is awesome, one of my favorite imperial stouts. I usually like my stout at a little high abv because I feel as if the higher abv gives it that extra kick it needs, but this beer at 8.8% is awesome. It is nearly perfect and flawless.

The bottle does not lie when it states highly complex. On the nose it smells like opening a fresh bag of roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate.

Taste wise this is a malt bomb, not very hoppy. Chocolate and coffee, with hints of anise.

Overall this beer is spectacular. One of the best I've had and Stouts are my specialty.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

Serving: Bottle into an ale glass.

A: Impenetrably black with half an inch of solid, thick head. Magnificent.

S: Dark roasted malt and coffee. Very nice.

T: Huge coffee and dark roasted malt flavor. Reminds me of eating a handful of black patent malt. Huge, deep stout flavor sticks around in the mouth for a long time. Undetectable alcohol. Very, very, nice.

M: Very solid, smooth feel throughout.

O: Fantastic imperial stout. One of the best I've had. Would buy this again.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black with big dark brown head, good retention and lacing
Smell: Dark roasty malt aromas with some alcoholic dark fruit
Taste: Reminded me most of the Old Rasputin - very classic Imperial Stout flavors with great balance. Slightly sweet, roasty, with noticeable but pleasant hops character. Delicious.
Feel: Thick, smooth yet nicely carbonated

Overall: For me this is a pretty ideal imperial (double) stout. It looks great with a nice sticky tan head that stays the duration, and the flavors and aromas are varied yet balanced. It has that thick creaminess in the mouth that you expect of a heavy stout. And it's not so strong that the alcohol overpowers the rest of the palate. No gimmicks, either - just a great all around stout!

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

Very imposing pour, as the solid black body was topped with a two finger thick, khaki colored, head. The look was pitch perfect for the style. The smell strongly of coffee, chocolate, and toffee, and faintly of almonds. The taste was very evocative of coffee and chocolate as well, followed by a boatload of hops, then roasted grain astringency, and finally a brown sugar sweetness. The mouthfeel was creamy and thick. This was a heck of a beer.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured at cellar temp into my brandy snifter.

A: Poured almost jet black into my snifter. A nice creamy tan head, almost 2 fingers. Damn, it looks good in that snifter. Head lowers slightly, but sticks around. Sticky lacing.

S: A mixture of milk/dark chocolate in the nose. Also some dark roast coffee and dark malty goodness. I'm also picking up a slight hint of hops in there. Alot going on in this one.

T: Whoa...yum! Chocoaltey, coffee goodness. Nice dark malts as well. Slight hops in the back. Man, this is tasty.

M: Nice thickness, very creamy. Chewy and viscous. This has a fantastic mouthfeel.

D: 8.8%? Could've fooled me. The alcohol is well hidden. Goes down so smooth. Absolutely sinful. If I had access to this it would always be in my fridge. Fantastic impy stout. Love the Flash..

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Sampled tonight in a pint glass at 55 degrees after a ahndfull of fried jalapeno chips. This beer pours an asphalt dark river into the glass with a firm mocha head. Lacing clings like fishnet to the sides in soft cascades.

The beer smells of depth, as if malts knew no bounds Mocha and roasted malt sinking ever deep as if to China. The most surprising taste to date for me from any stout. The flavor is soft, milky and subtle coffee and rich malt. Holy crap is this delicious. So many stouts hit you ov3r the head with coffee and mocha. This one takes a step back and lets the malt and hops through to balance everything out. Mouthfeel is wet silk with little to no strong aftertaste. No mouth mung feeling with this stout. Overall, this stout is incredible and I will be buying more when I can find it.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from 12 oz into Chimay goblet.

A - BLACK. 2 finger foamy, creamy dark brown head. Long retention and mass lacing.

S - Heavy smoke, roasted DARK malts. Coffee. Chocolate. Espresso.

T - Smoke, roast, coffee, cocoa. Black malts, slightly hopped middle ground.

M - Creamy and full. Smooth, no alcohol burn.

O - I couldn't ask for anything more from a straight-forward American stout. Will re-drink.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a thick iced coffee pouring into the mug with chocolate milk-looking head. even the bottle is heavy.
earthy aroma with chocolate milk shake, chocolate, vanilla and toasty smells.
taste is roasty malts, full yummy, dark flavors. this is really good. i need to try more of the green flash brews, but i really pi$$ed 'em off a while back regarding their saison. i like how it tastes sweet at first and then the bitterness seems to drop off each side of the tongue. it's a full, hearty feel in the mouth.
not my favorite style, but i really like this. it totally filled a void and completely surprised me. i'm going back tomorrow to grab another one for me and one for a friend.

4.58/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Coal-black body sporting a thick, rich, light brown head; plenty of lacing and rings on the glass. Mocha coffee and dark roasted malt grains with a touch of bitter chocolate and vanilla in the aroma. Rich chocolate flavors with a light astringency; soothing bitterness and a touch of alcohol. Very heavy, very smooth body.

Liquid black gold here! Bold presentation reinforced with delicious, bountiful spectrum of malt flavors. The hop bitterness tames the grain sweetness while the alcohol content remains in the background. Dark malts exude roasted grain and coffee character. An extremely tasty black ale heavy hitter...

4.58/5  rDev +12%

A: Beautiful dark tan head on this one - very poofy and full. Pitch black color. Head retention is awesome.

S: Surprising amount of hop smell for a stout. Rich chocolate notes.

T: Wonderful chocolate flavor with great northwest hop notes. This is a winner. Bitter flavor permeates the nice wood-fire burned toast flavor. Very drinkable. Alcohol barely detectable. A nutty aftertaste.

M: A little overcarbonated, but not much. Thick and chewy - coats the mouth nicely. Pretty oily. Non-astringent and full-bodied. Well-done.

D: Drinks wonderfully. It's pretty rich and filling, but for this style it's great. Not one you would have with a meal for the most part, but would be great with some cheese or by itself.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

The last of my triple play for the evening.

Pours brown, but darker than the Mendocino. Pitch black in the glass. Thick, brownish head. More dense and chunky than the aforementioned beer. Spectacular thick lacing.

I don't think I've ever used the word fruity in describing a stout before, but on capping the bottle, that was my primary impression. A bit of pineapple early on. Later, more traditional stout aromas of rich coffee and milk chocolate, but the fruityness remains. It smells like bon bons.

The taste is also a bit fruity, but less exclusively. Here it's more coffee and dark chocolate with bitterness rising in the end.

Full-bodied and warming.

An excellent stout. It's a bit too strong to be considered sessionable, but it's an awesome sipper.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

Looks like a shot of espresso. Makes me want a shot of espresso. Minimal head with a little lacing.

Sweet chocolate. Very light roasted oats... grains.

Doesn't taste quite as sweet as sweet as it smells. A great double stout flavor. Yum. It is definitely sweet.

Very smooth. Little bubbles on the back of my tongue on each sip. I long for a creamier stout.

Very worth it. I'd keep one in the fridge for a change of pace once in a while. I could drink a bomber by myself no problem... and then some.

PS. Referring to the bottle photo... NOW THAT is how you take a photo of a beer bottle. Damn, nice bokeh.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

12oz. bottle from Total Wine & More poured into 18.2oz. Samuel Smith's Pint Glass

A: This may be the sexiest beer I've ever poured. It's black as hell in the center with hints of deep soil brown around the edges. The head is a solid three inches of mousse colored thickness and is dissipating extremely slowly. Upon pour, I got that sexy, lavish drop similar to Guinness; you know, where it looks like sand churning in a shallow pool.

S: Coffee and cappuccino. No thinness, no alcohol, no chocolate or screwing around. This is malted cappuccino. Such a great aroma.

T: Imagine if steak tasted like an average stout, but the steak was charred. It's slightly grainy, but that char is awesome. Cappuccino on steroids. Hints of finely shaven dark bakers chocolate. Not sweet, but bitter. The beer isn't bitter, just the chocolate is.

M: Ugh! It's smooth as hell, slightly thinning, and a little oily. A nice, full hop tingle, but not too much. Not even enough to register until the dryness takes over my mouth post-sip, bringing me back for more. Really frothy. Not as thick as I assumed, but it's perfect. P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

OVERALL: Green Flash Double Stout is a sexy, classy, rough and tumble broad. Everything about it is about average and the textbook style areas are a hit. I suggest all of you bourbon stout lovers take a step back and see what a non-barrell aged stout is supposed to be like just as a refreshing reminder. This is the best non-bourbon/brandy stout I've had to date and the most stylistically perfect. Green Flash has always been a hell of a brewery, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

NOTE: Live review.
(EDIT:) Still massive amounts of lacing with only about eight ounces left. It's all there on this one.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Smells of coffee and chocolate malt, promising the flavors that lie ahead.

However, in the mouth the brew proves far more complex than the nose would give away. The coffees and chocolates are still there, but are surprisingly accompanied by sweeter flavors: caramels, toffees, and dark fruits, perhaps black cherries sprinkled in pure cocoa powder. Though this is a sweeter stout because of these flavors, it is still a stout, and so it comes as no surprise that the flavors have a thick hoppy vein running through them, providing a nice bitter bite, and the coffee and chocolate malt are what linger longest on the tongue after the mouthful is gone. Mouthfeel is wonderful, the beer sliding across the tongue like slightly carbonated cream.

I highly recommend this brew for lovers of darker beers; you won't be sorry you splurged on a bottle. And at 8.8% for a 1 pint, 6 fl. oz. bottle, you probably won't need to drink more than one.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a dense tan head and opaque ruby black color. Aroma is loaded with vanilla, esters, roasty grains and sweet, sweet EtOH. Flavor is a complex yet easygoing blend of roast, smoke, spice, vanilla and balancing bitterness. Mouthfeel is very good, warming. You can feel the alcohol in a good way. Overall, pure hot sex in a glass.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to duffmanrob
For sending this one along in the black booty BIF

I split this one amounst some friends and into snifters the brew produced a good two finger tan head that stuck around and the lacing was great. The body was a typical stout black.

O my this was a surprise I got some huge chocolate notes from the nose. Truly memorable in a lot of ways I really didn't expect to much from this brew but it did surprise me.

The flavor was nice a chocolaty with a light roasted bitter not as much hops as I thought I would find coming from a west coat brewery even that was refreshing for a change. The body was perfect for a stout with great carbonation.

Like I said this brew was a surprise. I did miss this brew when it was gone, and it was better than a top 100 brew that we cracked in the same sitting

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a Yeti glass with BA's balberts and rbuckstar, from a Beirkraft growler gotten in trade with Jw347.

A - Jet black with a dark brown 2-finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Roasted malts dominate the smell, followed by notes of bitter chocolate.

T - Sweet and chocolaty, with a nice roasted finish.

M - Just a little sticky, like I found with the LA Serpent's Stout. Other than that, the carbonation is pleasant and the beer is smooth.

D - This is a great beer overall, and I wish I could get more. I'm reaching for another glass right now...

4.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured entire bomber into 34oz mug. Oily black with a thick, foamy tan head that stays full for a long time, leaving some sticky lacing on the mug. Smells amazing in the bottle: coffee and chocolate. Once poured it smells a lot more metallic, but that's probably the hops sneaking through. Taste follows the great smell; creamy and smooth, coffee and bitter chocolate witha smooth finish, hops just lingering on the back of the tongue. Overall this is a great beer, one of the best American imperial stouts I've had.

4.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mine had some age to it and was close to best NY date but this was an absolute treat! Great imperial stout by Green Flash! Highly recommend this to anyone who loves beer! Cheers!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into perfect pint glass

A: Black. Ebony. Completely black with two fingers of head that was a vibrant brown/black color (I have to get better with my descriptions of colors). The head lasted several minutes and left decent lacing on the glass as I drank the beer down. Not the stickiest lacing I have seen though.
S: Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and anise. These scents blend well. The scent is strong.

T: Tastes a lot like the smells. Roasted malts (but not overly roasted: well balanced), dark chocolate (like bitter chocolate I think), coffee (of medium strength). I don’t get much anise in the taste. I also don’t think the taste is incredibly sweet. Maybe that is apparent when I mention the dark chocolate flavor.

M: This is a heavier beer but not the heaviest I have encountered by any means. There seems to be just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate a bit. I find it disappointing when beers of this style do not have enough carbonation to cleanse the palate.

O: Damn good beer. The nose remains present to the last drop. I find that impressive along with unicorns that can still manage to propel themselves into the stratosphere the next morning after a night of heavy drinking at a carne asada and pollo asado bbq. (Rabbit trail). I find the beer to be very drinkable and the high alcohol is well hidden. Too well hidden?

I love when beer is ebony. It probably skews my ratings in the appearance department, because I want to award 5s to those beers that accomplish this (with an equally impressive head of course). I originally wrote this review while drinking this beer for the first time. I have now had several (this is a different night; I am not hammered). My original interpretations hold up, and I continue to love this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Beer poured black with a thin tan head. Aroma of roasty dark malts with notes of coffee and fruit. Taste was bitter dark chocolate predominantly. Finish exhibited a pleasant burnt taste. Smooth finish. Mouthfeel was creamy. Medium body. Overall one of the best stouts I have had. Smooth, creamy, flavorful. A wonderful dessert beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a nice stout. Pours pitch black with a tall toffee colored head that leaves a nice lacing. I smell roasted grains with a sweet hint of molasses and dried fruits. A very nice bitterness here that's balanced well by a rich sweetness. I really like the way this beer develops in the mouth. A very pleasing silky texture followed by a second release of carbonation in very fine texture. I would rate this right up there with Stone Russian Imperial Stout. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: A deep mahogany brown that still manages to show some clarity through ginger highlights. The head is a strip of tan on top:

Smell:The vivacious, yet balanced fragrance comes at you from two sides of the spectrum: fresh, grassy hops and a pungent chocolate factory. It's a surprisingly near perfect pairing. There also exists a soft sweet combo of red and black fruit--strawberries and plums, for the most part.

Taste: Gourmet chocolate comes with a white pepper kick. The fruit is there too, plums in particular. The malt bill has a strong, grainy presence. It starts out toasty and complex, then ends up slightly smoky in the finish, like roasted chestnuts. Also balancing out the sweetness are the noticeable hops, which are earthy, with medium bitterness. The result is neither too sweet, not too bitter. It's everything you've been looking for in a stout, living together in harmony.

Mouthfeel: The smooth mouthfeel has some creaminess to it, but the stays within average viscosity. Strong carbonation adds a refreshing quality, making this big beer deceivingly drinkable. Indeed, the alcohol warming is barely noticeable, quietly loitering in the back of the throat.

Overall: The Imperial Stout I've been waiting for! It has all the "right" qualities, but steers completely clear from the dark-and-sticky territory. Hops, spice, and bubbles are what drive it above and beyond the norm. And yet, it still has the dark chocolate strawberries everyday Imperial Stout lovers are hoping for.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black opaque and beautiful looking stout. Has nice short beige head poured into stemless wine goblet.
Smell is char, coffee, herbal-piney hops and some dark fruit .
Taste is big char, dark chocolate and toffee bready upfront with bitter hops slamming in mid palate with a long finish and welcome alcohol burn at the end.
Well done , balanced stout . Expected nothing less from GF
Highly recommended

Double Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.