Join our email list →

Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Reviews: 724 | Hads: 4,024
Reviews by equincel:

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Had on draft at the brewery earlier this year, and found in bottle locally. If youre a fan of hops, this is your beer. It is on the pricier side, but well worth it. It is a beer to drink slowly and enjoy. For my first BA rating/review, what better beer to give such high marks. Amazing aroma and a delicious bite! Fantastic!

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The triumvirate of Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe (CCS) is enough to triple the force of water. I don't recall the bottled on date the first time I had this, but the second time around I definitely took notice that the 22 oz. bomber was less than two weeks old. Glorious hops. I'm not adverse to my palate being wrecked; in fact, I welcome it. The head was a solid, cottony mass of super-sticky lacing that retained perfectly throughout my consumption. The holy trinity of CCS kept pounding my tongue like a judge's gavel, but I didn't complain. I was looking for life imprisonment at this point. Call me weiserr, call me the IPA Hunter®, just don't call me late for the next Imperial offering from Green Flash Brewing Co. I liked this one enough to start rapping again, so I apologize for what follows.

stem cell, couldn't duplicate, the gems well
DNA’s too brolic, in hell, my pens dwell
no kids can perform, the most wickedest form
of words, put in a song, ghostwritten by spawn
a.k.a., Wise, the AK lay lives
so you need a white sheet, like the KKK ‘guise
to prepare for war, hush, yeah, i’m sure
that i'm ahead of my time and, plus, been here before
wanna doubt my status, f**k it then line up
cause ya'll like scratched lenses, just f**kin’ the site (sight) up
with cheap collections, of reviews, with weak perception
that’s forced, lost in the search, to seek perfection
only to find a beast from the eastern section
to get out, you're gonna need more than police protection
at least a Wesson
cause when it comes to bodying an aspirant, i’m always suspect
like nas’ beat selection
a lethal weapon, lettin’ off, on people reppin’
the aura, is a combination, of evil lessons
and deceiving sessions, hustle all, i do it real
a hood hustler, i could sell tuna to a whale
the masses are blind, but they see what i’m sayin
by the using of this braille
so who you didn't feel?
don't lie to yourself, that's blind intuition
i'm a nightmare that will raise you out of that lying position
don’t follow these dummies, thinkin' i’m lame, playin’
yourself, sleeping on the hops, you’re basically sayin’
let's have a contest, see who neck hurts worst
for you to sign on, your software gotta talk to the network first
I run shit, and ran shit
like track runners on steroids, until I made the land split
but the Bros. didn’t ban shit…
never get at me, if your beers is not prized
that’s comparable to my clone, it is not WISE...

This is my kind of beer! Wow, love the bitterness. The only downside is that my throat is dry the next day after drinking it. But for my next homebrew, I hope to make a copy of this one. Cheers

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Good to see a new Green Flash offering here in the Triad.Poured into a tulip glass nice deep burnt orange with a well defined sticky one finger white head that left multiple globs of lace as it settled slowly into a frothy mass.Sharp grapefruit hops at the onset as soon as I opened the bottle along with some booze but it's not overly sweet,just smells sticky and good.Raw hop goodness on the palate with sharp grapefruit rind and herbal notes,mild caramel sweetness underneath cant hold up to the sharp bitter hop onslaught,and amazingly the sweetness is held in check well.This is what a DIPA should be a hop explosian not a sugary sweet malt bomb,I loved it hence the perfect taste score.Best beer I have had in 2012.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance - this is an easy-foaming beer with a nice, white, puffy, clingy head and a gorgeously-cloudy deep brown body. This head is absolutely amazing and will stick around hours after last call.

Smell - The dry-hopping gives this DIPA a huge, raunchy, pine resin nose that dominates any other players in this bouquet.

Taste - This is a monster hop bomb. The piney resin takes over the taste and there's a lightly-sweet residual to the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - This is almost full in the body with little carbonation and a thick, oily, slick mouthfeel.

Drinkability - 90% of beer drinkers won't want to finish a bomber of this ale, and 90% of the people who do won't be able to drink anything after this, thus the name. I found it to be slickly sweet and a great take on the style.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper-colored, just like a clean penny with amazing clarity throughout the entire brew - Palate Wrecker looks eerily similar to the Nugget Nectar I had just a few days earlier, though not quite as vibrant. Lots of carbonation bubbles rise to the top, meeting a beige-eggshell color head that leaves a little bit of lacing behind on its way down.

Powerful and commanding is the aroma, asserting itself with heavy doses of both earthy and floral hops - you can smell the bitterness ready to cut through your taste buds. Don't be fooled, however - the aroma is showing a significant sweetness to it, as well. A cornucopia of fruits and citrus jump on board, and actually smell very reminiscent of Fruity Pebbles. I tried to find a better description, but goddamn, I'm definitely smelling some Pebbles. There's also a caramel malt sweetness lingering backstage and although it's buried from the abundance of hops, it is still easily identifiable.

Speaking of those caramel malts, they happen to be the first thing my palate picks up on as this beer hits my lips. It's not long, though, before an inherent bitterness emerges and does nothing but continue to grow, start to finish. The bitterness seems to last forever, even long after the beer is gone. That's the whole point of this beer, right? To fuck up your palate? Well they've succeeded by making a bitterness that is one of the strongest and longest-lasting that I've found in recent memory. It hits hard and resonates with no end in sight.

Alongside the raping bitterness are handfuls of floral, perfume-like, and rosey flavors from the hops. Citrus is also abound, though not quite as similar to Fruity Pebbles on the palate anymore. It's now more akin to bitter citrus and grapefruit - think: peel, pith, rind, etc. Pretty heavy bodied with a sticky character and plenty of carbonation.

Bitterness is what they wanted and bitterness is what they give you. Bitterness is the king here. It's actually not as "palate destroying" (or "wrecking", I guess) as you might think, but maybe I'm just conditioned to this kind of thing. This reminded me of a less flavorful Ruination. There weren't enough "other" flavors to go with the heavy bitterness. Just seems like they were being bitter just to be bitter. In that case, I'll just suck on a hop. Not bad, but probably wouldn't seek it out again. Just grab a Ruination or Hoptimum (in season) if you want a hop attack.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Strong hop bite up front but smooth on the finish and aftertaste
ABV is hidden very well and the malty backbone does an OK job smoothing the IBU
It doesn't wreck your palate but certainty wakes it up

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.