Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,820 | Reviews: 734
4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is beer is for extreme hop-heads only. The maltiness and high gravity of the beer mask some of the extreme bitterness from so many hops in the boil. At 9.5% it is an intense experience. I really enjoy this one, but I like hops more than the average drinker.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pours an incredibly hazy/foggy dark amber/orange. Not at all transparent. A mildly aggressive pour results in a huge 3 1/2" head that takes ages to deflate to an inch thick head that retains like a champion. It's not faltering in the least. HUGE splotches of thick, sticky lacing is left everywhere the head once touched. This is one hella impressive looking glass of beer!

S: PURELY hops and wonderfully dank. Extreme citrus profile, grapefruit mainly, to be expected. A bit of pine resin underneath. No malt to be found; no complaints from me. This is exactly what I want to smell from a brew called Palate Wrecker.

T: The initial sip of this, as well as the next two or three sips, are purely palate pulverizing hop atomic bombs. One of the most intense rushes of grapefruity citrus I've ever experienced. Tons of bitter pine resin in the finish as well as the aftertaste. The bitterness sticks around long after the beer has gone down. Midway through the beer now, I guess my palate has adjusted to baffling amount of hop bitterness. Each sip leads off with a well-rounded caramel malt note that offers little balance before it gets bullied by those dominating hops. This one, even with the appearance of malts midway through, is bone crushingly bitter and truly exquisite.

M: The awe-inducing qualities of Palate Wrecker unfortunately stop here. A slightly above medium body with moderate carbonation and a bit of slickness. Coats the palate nicely without feeling too sticky in the finish. The mouthfeel is definitely really good, but falls short of incredible.

O: Boy oh boy, this is everything I had hoped it would be; however, it was EXTREMELY hard to score, for me. Because even though everything about it stopped me in my tracks by how perfect I believe it to be, I can't rate it perfect overall for the sole fact that this brew is so ass-kicking that I literally could not indulge in it often. With that being said, this has creeped into my favorites and will be revisited for sure as a once-in-a-blue-moon treat.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The name is true to the flavor. The hops hit your mouth and takeover. This is one of my favorite strong hoppy beers from Green Flash!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this beer very much. It was very fresh.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a nice golden amber hue with a full creamy white beige head. From a distance, you could mistake this brew to be one of many golden ales from the mass produced breweries.

But here is where that stops. All you need to be is within a few feet of the opened bottle and you can pick up the aroma of fresh strong hops. As I put my nose into the glass, the hops seemed to get stronger and stronger.

As with many high hopped brews, I could pick up scents of grapefruit along with other citrus. The initial taste was a bit over the top, at least at first. However, the mouthful and the finish was satisfying and lingering.

The second and third sips were the same, the initial taste on the tongue, went quickly to the top of the lounge without hitting some of the other sense spots.

The finish was perfect. I think the only thing that kept me from rating this even higher was that each sip was a bit much.

But the rest was as good as it gets for full hoppy beer

I looked at the Green Flash website and was amazed, no I guess not really to see that the IBU was over 149 for this one!

02/01/13:
I think after tasting about a dozen or so real classy high IBU IPAs, I've come to know exactly what I want and what I am looking for. Make new mistake, Palate Wrecker is a beer that any hop-head should try. Its worth it. I have about 5 more bottles for this year. I enjoyed it, but
not the same way I did a year ago. I guess the term palate-wrecker holds true. It is a big bold beer to taste, but easier to drink than lets say another beer's 120. But my mouth is hanging real dry after drinking one bottle. One bottle, thats it, because when I started to taste other beers, I couldn't pick up the things I normally would have...
Next time, try the ones I want to taste and finish perhaps with the Palate Wrecker

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours an effervescent honey color with a finger of cream colored head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Pine, grapefruit with a little breadyness, plus some booze

T: Follows the nose, in your face hoppyness up front, along with a little dryness. Some breadyness & a touch of caramel as this warms with a ton of grapefruit. Finishes with grapefruit peel, breadyness, pineyness

MF: Fairly thick, slight carbonation, nice balance

A super DIPA, love the agressive hops & super balance lying underneath, easily one the best DIPAs I've had in a while. I've been waiting for a hop ride like this for a whilw, well done Green Flash!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
9.5% ABV

A - Shimmering clarity allows the beer's gorgeous deep honey golden color to shine beautifully, capped by a well-retained ivory head that splatters lace all over the snifter.

S - Green Flash is known to make some hoppy beers so I wasn't expecting to be surprised by the aroma but this beer legitimately smells like straight-up hops. I've grown hops for three years now and the aroma that comes off Palate Wrecker smells like your hands after you've spent two hours plucking the sweet little green buds from their bines; bright citrus, deep gooey resin, all the things that make a hop head rejoice! The best part about the aroma of this beer is that Green Flash knew exactly when to put the brakes on because the finish starts to get that overly hopped, dank rubbery smell.

T - Palate Wrecker's surprisingly gripping resinous aroma fades into a tropical fruit-laded bomb of caramel-coated honeydew melon, sticky mango, and freshly juiced grapefruit with a small squeeze of lemon oil and sprinkle of lemongrass on the finish!

M - Incredibly smooth for the level of IBUs one might perceive to be in this beer, Palate Wrecker has big balance from it's sweet malty base, a la 9.5% but, it goes down well and finishes with a lingering earthy dryness compliments of the bitter hops.

O - There's hoppy beers, then there's Palate Wrecker. Upon smelling the beer I immediately considered my palate destroyed but Green Flash balances this tropical hop bomb with so much sweet malt that the smooth body and bitter finish even out for a wonderfully drinkable experience!

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this bad boy at Hegedorn's (a local indie grocery store). Poured from a 22 into a tulip glass. Nice light copper color, but head is sort of sparse.

Aroma is wonderful. Piney citrus notes as expected. Tastes good as well.

Overall, a quality brew. I will seek it out again.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

I'm not into really hoppy beer, but I have to give this one credit for its honesty. Hoppy smell with a fruity/hoppy kick that evolves into a lingering bitterness that isn't unpleasant. It just is what it is! If you like hoppy beer, you'll enjoy this one.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Hell yes, That's all I want to start off saying. I just tried this beast last night and was so glad I did. I found it at a home brew shop in orange and I coincidentally was going there to buy a bag of hops. I simply just love the smell of hops, nothing better. I have really grown to like IPA's as of recent because of the mix between different hops and aromas that really come out. This beer smelt like a true hop king. I wanted to sit there smelling it all night. The appearance was good, but with a smell like it had, i didn't much care what it looked like. The taste was great too, again, if your a hop lover, otherwise be prepared for a smack in the face. I am not going to say there is nothing else to the beer, but the hops are so prevalent it was hard for me to taste much else. Mouth feel was good, strong. Bitter enough u didn't want to let it sit there terribly long. Overall a must try for IPA fans!

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with a cream colored head.I can smell the hops 2 feet away - pine needles and lemon zest. Amazingly smooth; a pleasant hops bitterness settles in on the palate after a while, but there is also a distinctive grapefruit tartness - outstanding. Hardly any hint of the alcohol; surprising considering the high ABV. Leaves the mouth dry and wanting more. The name kept me from trying this one before as I'm not usually a fan of extreme hops. I'm glad I tried it because, even though it may be quite hopped up, it is exceptionally well-crafted and blended.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A very good iipa. Very balanced and bold. Tons of piny and citrus notes from the hops. With just the right amount of malt sweetness to balance the beer and give it complexity. Silky, creamy mouthfeel. A very good interpretation of the style. Very Impressive

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.