Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

rah1734bones

05-01-2012 05:16:50 | More by rah1734bones
Mrjwsjr

1.05/5  rDev -74.8%

I don't know if the bottle I got had turned bad but me and a buddy split the bottle and the smell was almost enough to turn our stomachs. I was the first to give it a sip and I can honestly say the taste was worse than the smell. My buddy almost didn't try it based on my reaction because he knows I like stronger beers than him. But he took a sip and about spit it back out. I can honestly say that this is the first beer I have ever dumped out. I will not be taking a chance on this beer again.

04-23-2012 23:47:54 | More by Mrjwsjr
Mattylaz22

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

07-03-2014 02:17:48 | More by Mattylaz22
righthereisay

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

OK, first let me say, that of all types of beer, IPA's are my least favorite. If I would like excessive bitterness, I would choose to chew on aspirin.

I purchased this on tap at a restaurant because it was most bang for your buck. How bad could it be? I've drank plenty of IPAs that are decent, and I'm sure (as any beer) this will go down and be at least OK.

Pours gold/amber. Nice white head (1/2 inch).

Smell: Citrus, pineapple, pine. Not too bad of a smell. At this point, I think it will do the job.

Taste: Ugh. How can you taste it? It is bitter in a glass. Trying to get beyond the bitterness, I tasted pine, maybe some orange peel. It was BAD. I know a lot of folks love this bitterness stuff, but this went too far. Again, if I wanted to taste bitterness, I would chew on my daily aspirin. But nobody does that.

Mouthfeel - Not too much body, probably because the bitterness takes over. I couldn't wait to finish it. At least at 9.5% I will get a little buzz out of the whole experience.

Overall: Obviously my ranking is way out of the norm for this beer. I understand that IPA's are not my thing, but I really cannot understand why anyone would rank this so high. I think any beer company could put a ton of bitterness into their beer. But they also need to have room in there for some complex tastes and a good body. Again, I've drank a ton of IPAs, all better than this one. This was the worst IPA I've ever had.

Only reason I gave overall a 1.5 instead of a 1.0 is because it at least has a lot of alcohol.

06-17-2012 14:28:41 | More by righthereisay

07-13-2014 00:45:37 | More by Jpenner
BuckeyeSlim

2.15/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

32 oz. growler filled last weekend poured into a 20 oz. highball shaker.

A - Pours a golden copper into the glass. A two-finger head of off-white, tight foam capped with lots of soap suds bubbles dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving a well-pronounced ring of lace around the glass. On the surface, it's the bubbles that mostly remain, with a bit of very fine lace toward the sides. Held to a full-spectrum light, the beer is a brilliant sunrise orange and crystal clear.

S - Acidic hops of grapefruit and pine, with notes of resiny floral. Nose is slightly muted. Dark, bitter orange rind emerges as it warms in the glass.

T - The bitter pine really pushes its way to the front and shoves everything else aside. Woody, with dried bitter herbs. There's so much bitter in this taste profile, it almost has a burnt quality to it, like the butt-end of a cheap dark cigar. The taste is noticeably more bitter and blunt than the nose suggests it would be, and lacks distinctive components. Rather than giving each hop it's own turn at the mic, it's as if they all went into a blender to create the sole effect of being outrageously bitter. No ABV is detectable - the hops even wipe that away. Occasionally, a touch of toasted malt with a hint of caramel sneaks onto the tongue for just a second, but that gets quickly stomped out by the hops. As the tongue begins to adjust to the hop bombing raid and the beer warms, the caramel in the malt stays around a bit longer, but it's always well - very well - in the background. This is not a taste I enjoy.

M - Decently fizzy, almost foamy. Body is on the lighter side, but with good structure. Component integration leaves something to be desired because the hops completely overwhelm the mouth - it's like a muffin that's all top and no base. Finish is dry, but not to the point of puckering, and consists solely of hops taking over the tongue and not letting go. Well into the growler, the dryness from the hops becomes so pronounced, the puckering begins, as if my tongue will do anything to be free of the aftertaste. It's like a hot sauce that simply will not let go.

O - The beer is aptly named, as the intensity of the hops overwhelms everything else. If the point of this beer is to see just how unbalanced a beer can be, then mission accomplished. I've tasted several well-balanced, surprising delicious Imperial / Double IPAs recently that let the malts share the stage with a hop extravaganza, proving that a big beer can be both hop-forward and balanced, which is what made them quality beers. This beer is the opposite of that concept. It's going to be a while before my tongue forgives me. To sum this beer up in one word (other than the obvious "bitter"): obnoxious.

Serving type: growler

07-04-2013 06:54:19 | More by BuckeyeSlim
Ryan011235

On tap in a tulip at King's Table on 4/14/12

Deep honey amber with layers of brown and sun drenched gold. The head is one thumb of billowy, dense foam. Retention is about a third of that, but solid lace remains over most of the glass.

The aroma is dank hops, oily and piney. Rabid citrus, too - grapefruit and lemon zest. Solvent-like. The mean hop smell is tempered by ample notes of sugar cookie and sweet cracker. Smells like it might be too sweet. Yeaaah... This is going to be hard to finish. Semi-sweet malts swoon up front before being replaced by angry amounts of hops and alcohol. Yikes. I wish I could use the hop descriptors a la the aroma, but this is all scathing, vapidly dry bitterness. Earthy and dirty. Pretty much medicinal-grade bitterness.

Ugh. Full, sluggish feel. Lower than average carbonation is the only reason I can stand finishing this. A bit oily and resinous. Again, brutally dry.

Overall impression - Spiteful just to be. This is a chore to drink.

08-10-2012 06:48:16 | More by Ryan011235

South Carolina

10-22-2013 23:48:14 | More by Netdigger2
brystmar

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap in Oceanside on the 18th, reviewed from notes.

Aroma is predominantly of fresh, piney hops with some citrus and booze characters too. Flavor profile is exactly what you should expect from the name: a hop bomb of the first order. Extremely biting, bitter, and alcoholic. No perceptible malt sweetness to balance out this beast. This beer embodies everything I dislike about IPAs.

Thank god we finished our bottle of Churchill's Finest Hour before touching this monster. A true palate wrecker.

03-29-2012 05:20:10 | More by brystmar
wheatbeersarewhereitsat

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

Fantastic beer if you love ipa's and hoppy beers as those around me who consider themselves experts in the way of the IPA loved it. Unfortunately, I'm still warming up to IPA's and this one was just way too bitter/hoppy for me...

Great color and smell to this beer though

08-20-2013 19:41:02 | More by wheatbeersarewhereitsat
mattg

09-25-2012 19:29:59 | More by mattg
jaidenjb

05-02-2012 01:17:26 | More by jaidenjb
Focusf111

Vermont

01-18-2013 01:05:15 | More by Focusf111
Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.