Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Palate Wrecker Alström Bros

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It's bollocks-freezing weather down here in Oz, and thus it was inevitable that I'd make the trek to one of my favourite locals, Acland Cellars, to acquire some super-strong crafts for the evening that awaited me. Something dense, I said, like a barley wine or an imperial stout. The clerk grimaces as he hands me the bottle; the title "Palate Wrecker" staring menacingly into me. At first I'm perplexed as to whether I should fear or admire this creation by notorious San Diego brewers Green Flash, but curiosity meant that I knew this beer would certainly need to be reviewed.

Good luck, the clerk tells me as I walk out into the frostbitten streets. Keep calm. Relax. Deep breaths. Here we go.

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle poured slowly into a 500ml Hobgoblin tall pint glass.

Appearance: The pour generates a modest head with a cloudy golden body, similar in shade to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with the intriguing density of a Belgian ale. Bubbles race frantically up the glass and contribute to the head, which laces evenly as it lowers itself deeper into the glass.

Smell: A hophead's paradise; intense aromas of citra and cascade (and perhaps even Goldings?) hops are immediately noticeable, and serve as a signal of what is to come.

Taste: The first swallow produces an intense bitterness that lingers not only on the tongue but all around the mouth. It sits there right after your first sip and stays around until the second. As a hophead, I'm naturally in heaven. Some booziness is noticeable after the first few sips.

Mouthfeel: Denser than your average IPA. Carbonation is moderate and the body is gentle despite the intense flavour. Overall very pleasant.

Overall: Hopheads would love it, maltists would scoff at it and lagerboys will run hysterically from it. Green Flash Palate Wrecker is a unique beer with plenty of character and much to offer the hop connoisseur. This is indeed an intense double IPA, and chances are you'd either fall head over heels for it or dismiss it as another overhopped generic American IPA. Regardless, my palate has been wrecked.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part two in my Green Flash excursion this evening: next up is Palate Wrecker.

Finally, a bottle date: “Bottled on 12/18/12.” Damn, that’s old. Ah well, so was Le Freak, and it was still alright. To beer with a high life expectancy!

A: Deep hazy orange with a hefty head of beige bubbles. The foam is thick and fizzy, popping at every opportunity, though falling pretty slowly. Low amounts of retention but high amounts of lacing, climbing everywhere in a chunky web.

S: A magnificent testament to the glorious, aromatic hop – a noseful of pine, lemon juice, orange pulp, and sweet wildflower that promises to wreck your palate upon first sip. Smells hoppy enough to peel paint. Not much else can be found under the cloud of hop oils other than a straw-like, barnyard graininess, a rustic quality that grounds this huge IPA in a place of natural, homegrown sentiment.

T: Rides in bright with a swift metallic tinge as puckering hop notes of citrus oil and grapefruit rind send fire across the taste buds – a spicy, peppery bitterness, but bright and fruity nonetheless. It has a certain bright air to it, a charm that only juxtaposition can bring: that is, bright hops over an orange marmalade and lemon drop not-so-thick-but-still-pretty-viscous sweetness. There’s something to this beer that other DIPAs don’t have…Ruination is set apart by its crispness, Hopslam by its thick honey/resin combo, Dreadnaught by its syrupy residual sugars. It seems that Palate Wrecker is unique because of its extremely drinkable balance; it has a certain mixture of stinging hops and grainy afterbite, a bready wheat flavor that gives this a finish that is unbelievably mild.

M: In all the right ways, this beer is crisp: a bit of bubble to its dryness, but not enough to overwhelm. And in all the right ways, this beer is sweet: a meaty thickness, but not enough weigh it down. Let’s just tell is like it is: truth be told, I drank half the bottle before I realized I was doing it. This is one hell of a drinkable DIPA.

O: One of my favorite IPAs of recent memory – and that’s not just because I’ve wiped out my recent memory with beer. Green Flash has bottled pure hop essence in a container that can barely hold it, as I found out with just a single whiff. I can honestly say that this is one of the hoppiest beers I’ve ever had, which is a distinction I don’t take lightly. I think the last time I awarded that was for Stone’s Ruination…and this is even hoppier. If this were available without a huge drive, I’d be drinking this All. The. Time.

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.