Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Palate Wrecker Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,942 | Reviews: 747
4.17/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I prefer the Green Flash Imperial IPA to this one but still a very solid offering by Green Flash.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Time to start sifting through these Xmas gifts. This one was purchased by my mom, chosen simply because she "thought it looked strong". Thanks Ma. Best by 6/4/15.

A - Pour into a snifter glass is a dark orange/amber color with a finger or so of white head to start. Body is translucent. A slight cap and bits of lace remain by the end.

S - Lots of earthy weedy citrus in the nose. Particularly lots of grapefruit and straight up weed, with pineapple and piny hops there as well. Decent strength with very slight bready malt noticeable.

T - Taste opens things up nicely. Some more welcome malt presence brings caramel and honey along with some toasted bread, but still very much a 'palate wrecker'. Weedy grapefruit is still dominant for hops, but it delivers a good and intense variety of citrus pulp and earthy grass flavors.

M - Medium body that leans towards light-feeling for 9.5%, nice ample carbonation, hop bitterness is somewhat intense but not overbearing and well-softened by the malt. Slight alcohol but all in all pretty easy drinking for the style and ABV.

O - I've had this a few times now but this is the first time I've been able to really sit down with it, very good stuff. Classic Green Flash hop profile, not as complex as their West Coast IPA, but lots of good flavor to be had and a tasty slight malt backbone, drinks good for the ABV too.

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured an orange/Dark golden color...Very Piney smell, Citrus and hops. Taste is extremely hoppy, piney and Citrus. Taste is very strong on these flavors on first sip. The more you drink, the better the hop taste gets unlike other very hoppy beers.

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The triumvirate of Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe (CCS) is enough to triple the force of water. I don't recall the bottled on date the first time I had this, but the second time around I definitely took notice that the 22 oz. bomber was less than two weeks old. Glorious hops. I'm not adverse to my palate being wrecked; in fact, I welcome it. The head was a solid, cottony mass of super-sticky lacing that retained perfectly throughout my consumption. The holy trinity of CCS kept pounding my tongue like a judge's gavel, but I didn't complain. I was looking for life imprisonment at this point. Call me weiserr, call me the IPA Hunter®, just don't call me late for the next Imperial offering from Green Flash Brewing Co. I liked this one enough to start rapping again, so I apologize for what follows.

stem cell, couldn't duplicate, the gems well
DNA’s too brolic, in hell, my pens dwell
no kids can perform, the most wickedest form
of words, put in a song, ghostwritten by spawn
a.k.a., Wise, the AK lay lives
so you need a white sheet, like the KKK ‘guise
to prepare for war, hush, yeah, i’m sure
that i'm ahead of my time and, plus, been here before
wanna doubt my status, f**k it then line up
cause ya'll like scratched lenses, just f**kin’ the site (sight) up
with cheap collections, of reviews, with weak perception
that’s forced, lost in the search, to seek perfection
only to find a beast from the eastern section
to get out, you're gonna need more than police protection
at least a Wesson
cause when it comes to bodying an aspirant, i’m always suspect
like nas’ beat selection
a lethal weapon, lettin’ off, on people reppin’
the aura, is a combination, of evil lessons
and deceiving sessions, hustle all, i do it real
a hood hustler, i could sell tuna to a whale
the masses are blind, but they see what i’m sayin
by the using of this braille
so who you didn't feel?
don't lie to yourself, that's blind intuition
i'm a nightmare that will raise you out of that lying position
don’t follow these dummies, thinkin' i’m lame, playin’
yourself, sleeping on the hops, you’re basically sayin’
let's have a contest, see who neck hurts worst
for you to sign on, your software gotta talk to the network first
I run shit, and ran shit
like track runners on steroids, until I made the land split
but the Bros. didn’t ban shit…
never get at me, if your beers is not prized
that’s comparable to my clone, it is not WISE...

3.59/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, pine, citrus. Taste is very aggressive hops, citrus, some pine sand resin, a touch of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a good beer, and I like my hops, but this one was just a bit over the top for me. Consider my palate wrecked.

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Really hoppy initial taste with a bite to it. It kind of tastes like Lagunitas sucks mixed with stone ipa. Pretty bitter. not bad

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

A little too much for the palate.

Smell of alcohol. Taste of sweet grapefruit, cantaloupe and alcohol. Powerful bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Very hoppy nice taste beginning to end

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%

Got this bottle at De Bierknoning in Amsterdam. First had it a couple hears ago at Frank’s boathouse and thought it was God’s gift to me personally. Been waiting patiently to see it again, and alas, there it was, staring at me in the face at De Bierkoning for a reasonable price. Cheers God!

From a bottle into a snifter
Best by 29 nomonth 2014 (it actually said 29 / 00/ 2014)

APPEARANCE: Pours a three finger, medium-looser, fluffy, slightly off-white head with excellent retention. Perfectly clear burnt orange in color with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a foamy cap and leaves lots of chunky lacing down the glass. A good foamy wisp remains leaving lots of lacing as the glass empties.

SMELL: Huge nose on this one. Opens up right as the cap comes off. Lots of hops and malts on the nose here, which I can appreciate. Grapefruit, soapy hops, orange peel, lemon notes, pale malts, caramel and touches of honey on the nose. Big and bold for sure. Lots of good stuff going on for sure, and plenty bold and forthcoming.

TASTE: Grapefruit and caramel sweetness up front. Floral and hoppy soap notes at the swallow, with a big and bold finish of soapy hop flavors, grapefruit, lots of bitterness and floral flavors, some caramel sweetness and touches of alcohol linger as well. Very bitter and only somewhat soapy with a solid malt backbone.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Some soapy bitterness lingers. Perhaps a little sticky with a higher final gravity for the DIPA style, but it’s a train I can certainly appreciate, as I like a good malty sweet base to my DIPA’s.

OVERALL: Good stuff. The malty backbone gives it a higher FG than some of the other examples of the style, but I enjoy that, which is obviously a matter of personal taste. I don’t remember this brew being so soapy either, so since the recipe probably hasn’t changed, I guess my palate has done a bit of re-schooling. Can imagine this soapy character comes from using citra as a bittering hop, which really isn’t my thing. Still, this is a very well executed brew and has a lot of things I like about certain higher ABV double IPA’s. Well worth checking out especially if you like hopper brews with higher FG’s. Thanks again Frank for bringing this along all those years. It’s made me a curious searcher ever since. Cheers!

When you can't get Heady Topper

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

An aptly named beer, don't go pulling anything special from the cellar to follow this bad boy. Pours an opaque orange amber color with a thin white head, full bodied beer that leaves a sticky mouthfeel. On the nose there is pine and citrus fruit like orange and lemon, and sweet malts. There is a big hop bitterness here but also a nice balance to it, nice flavors of grapefruit, lemon, tangerine. One of the better imperial IPAs I've had.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(old label, no date, purchased cold at the corner bottle shop for $2! - poured into a medium-fat Chouffe tulip)

L: orange-amber liquid with flourishes of red, hazy... solid, sticky, spongy foam with serious craggy contours

S: like they put an ass-load of fruity hops into the boil, and for dry hop, and maybe got a 30% return on the liquid drawn off... grapefruit and pineapple, with a smear of lip balm

T: onslaught of thick-ish resinous hop oil up front, packing a kids-cereal fruitiness and grain flavor... grassy and moderately toasty, almost oatmeal finish, though that grain is blanketed in the bright citrus tones... very much a tongue-sanding bitterness left in the finish - tannins and grapefruit (pith)

F: the persisting, frothy foam cap provides a fleece-ian wash up front and on the sides of the tongue, while a mildly-rubbery elasticity sends the liquid on a smooth-but-bumpy, log flume course across the palate... some suspension and jiggle... frothy afterglow and the alcohol warmth seems drowned out a bit by the hop noise

O: good; similar enough to their other beers at this stage in their life... quite certain this is devastating fresh from the tank

From notes on 1/16/14

Lite ruby in color. Very clear, no particles. Strong hoppy smell. Earthy aroma. Very bitter. I know you can only taste bitterness to 80 IBUs, but this just seems so much more bitter than others I've had in that range. Earthy flavor. Hops also come through. Hops and bitterness are noticed throughout you’re mouth. I like it. This really will wreck your palate.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

They aren't kidding here. Seriously hopped up. Still there was nice body besides just the hops, and amazingly strong floral aroma. quite carbonated, very crisp. Almost makes your tongue numb.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: A hazy orange to amber body with medium bubbles within. Head with a hard pour is thick coming off a orange tinted white.

Smell: Potent floral scent, hovers your nostrils.

Taste: They weren't kidding when they named this beer, hard citrus like the most ultra bitter grapefruit that you have ever had. Sweet like one but packs this hard piney feel like it was dry hopped after that fact it was brewed.

Mouth: Sticky, and paired with bagel chips to break it down. Chewy finish that feel almost like a toasted bread.

Overall: You know right by my house there's this little mom and pop shop which has a crazy good selection of beers and the owner highly recommended this to me, Jesus the guy must know what I really love. It's bitter complex and offers everything that beyond meets the expectations of a DIPA. I would rate it a notch higher but has slight room for improvement. Maybe with proper aging it can. Salud!

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice finger head p. A dark amber orange color. Smells of a very robust hop combination with definite piney citrus smell and taste. A definite bite of alcohol and hoppy goodness. Finishes with a warm feel that lingers in back of throat. Definitely not for the faint of heart. A pretty smooth mid mouth feel. Pretty accurately named. I love this company more every time I try.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Terrific

Loved this.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Houghs

Appearance: Orange amber color with a foamy one finger egg shell colored head

Smell: Dank, funky, piney hops, citrus, malt

Taste: Super dank and pine upfront, malt, and a wonderful citrus finish and aftertaste that lingers

Mouthfeel: Heavy medium body; The carbonation is just right and goes down smooth

Overall: This is the most appropriately named beer I've had in recent memory. I'm a hop head and find this to be a big beer. Very bold and intense flavors. Really does challenge the palate. In fact, i think the initial taste was borderline overwhelming. However, the finish and aftertaste is so vibrantly citrus which is my favorite aspect of this beer. I love a beer I can still taste on the ride home and even once I get home. I don't say this often, but one of these bad boys is definitely enough. This isn't one of my favorites in the style, but it is quite an experience, and id recommend it to any hop head. Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Had on draft at the brewery earlier this year, and found in bottle locally. If youre a fan of hops, this is your beer. It is on the pricier side, but well worth it. It is a beer to drink slowly and enjoy. For my first BA rating/review, what better beer to give such high marks. Amazing aroma and a delicious bite! Fantastic!

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good God, this is intense stuff! This beer is characterized by big hop and malt flavor, super boozy. Nice citrusy flavors from start to finish. Awesome copper color, beautiful beer. Significant amount of head with thick lacing. Never disappointed by Green Flash.

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good beer. Like the hoppiness and smooth drinkable nature of the beer. Definitely a spot on west coast ipa. Color is nice, smell is great! The hops scent is perfect! Nice bitterness when it hits the palate by not overbearing at all. Defnielty a great example of what a west coast ipa should taste like.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

I have eyeballed this beer for a while. I have waited for it to go on sale just to entice me, it took some time but a store finally did discount it. My primary worry about the rating of this one is that it may have sat too long and may be past it prime. It was alright, not my favorite, but very nice aroma will have to say.

I can see where the name is derived it does have a strong bitterness that would be best consumed with something strong enough to hold up to it like a Thai or spicy Cajun dish.

Appearance: nice golden hue with a tinge of red to make it more bronze. Solid for the style.

Smell: Strong floral, fruity, piney hop resin.

Taste: Bitter, it may have been better consumed on a fresher note and I will give this one another chance. I think it has more potential than this particular one allows. I can see where the name comes from it has a potent alcohol taste, but It also has that strong hop/grapefruit rind bitterness to distract the palate for a while after consuming it.

Overall: This would be a good spicy food beer. Drink with something that can hold up to the hops. Spicy Thai food, hot wings, Mexican, or Creole. Not a bad beer, but not my favorite. As far as San Diego area beers go I still prefer Stone.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a hazy copper hue with two fingers of foamy off-white head.

Smell - Citrus hops, pine resin, grapefruit peel, caramel malts, tropical fruit (passionfruit-esque).

Taste - Strong bitter hops with bitterness of hops, pine resin, and grapefruit rind. Caramel and tropical fruit flavours chime in and the aftertaste leaves you with tasty pine resin and grapefruit rind goodness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - The brew is oh so true to the name (hallelujah) and true to the style. Strong bitterness that sticks to the palate throughout the sip. Hopheads will be happy with this one.

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.