Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Palate Wrecker Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Emerges clear and bronze in color with a stark white colored head. Loads of lacing, head retention, the works. Two finger sized head recedes very slowly into a quarter inch froth atop the beverage.

This one is also a nose wrecker. Full of delicious hop goodness in the nose. Even with allergies, this one takes my nose and squeezes all aromas into its cilia. Piney and citrusy and delicious. There is also a nice bit of maltiness to back up the hoppiness, and some sweet alcohol presents itself nicely as well. Smells extremely fresh, like fresh hop cones.

Killer flavor as well. Very well balanced. I generally like beers that lean more toward hoppy than malty (balanced) but this one seems to marry the two quite well. There is still a prevailing hop bitterness and flavor, but the malt and alcohol combat that nicely and offer a semi balanced beer. ( As the beer warms slightly, the balance leaves the table and Mr. hoppy takes his rightful seat at the head). Quite bitter, very tasty.

The hops linger for a long time on the palate, and as this one warms, the hops slaps the palate and call it it's bitch. Very long, bitter finish with just the right amount of oiliness and lemon rind.

A bitter beer for sure, and a delicious one. As balanced as an overly hoppy beer can be for sure. The bitterness will certainly drive some away, but I dig it man. A great beer!

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pub glass. Appearance was a light copper with slightly noticeable haziness. Nice white head, 1 finger width. Moderate lacing on the glass.

Sniff test indicated obvious notes of citrus and pine. Aroma hung heavy, which I did enjoy. Definitely enhanced the experience.

Taste indicated much of what I smelled, but the hops were somewhat subdued by an obvious maltiness. Some would call this balance, but when I drink an IPA I am looking for hop quality.

This brew presented fairly heavy mouthfeel, which I found to be pleasing. There was a definite aftertaste...as if my mouth was coated in resin. This was not unpleasant, but I definitely needed a palate cleansing before sampling the next brew.

Good IPA? Absolutely. Great IPA? Arguable. When compared with other beers of the same style, the price is a deal breaker. At $14.99 for a pack of 4, it is hard to justify with so many quality IPAs available.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

"Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce!" Reading reviews before getting the opportunity to try a particular beer can be enlightening. Having felt the Green Flash West Coast IPA was pretty average, a friend recommended Palate Wrecker and gave me one to try.

The nose on this ale is really pleasing and inviting, hops abound for sure,plenty of grapefruit and other tropical tones. The pour was a pretty clear deep orange with about an inch of foamy white head. The aroma is a big feature here.

Flavor wise, this is a hoppy brew that rests heavily on the palate and has a savory character to it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and halfway through, it becomes quite rich and not suited to chugging: this is a slow drinker. It really does have a savory onion quality to the aftertaste despite the citrus aroma from the hops. Some claim they can smell the onion in the aroma, but that isn't what I took away from it, so the flavors were deceptive to me given the attractiveness of the nose (I was expecting a sweeter aftertaste I guess).

The aftertaste is not displeasing as the brew is quite hoppy and peppy. I can appreciate the variation from the typical citrus bomb, and cannot knock it for that, but the flavor is not one I prefer to have in the rotation despite the interesting character, and quality ingredients. A couple of my friends really dig PW, and I respect their opinions, but at $14 a 4 pack not likely one I will reach for any time soon with all the choices out there.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured a cloudy orage with great head and lace on top of a strong piney, citric hop aroma that has little sweetness to it. Taste is more of the as I thoroughly enjoyed the strong citric, piney hop character and it is balanced, which I found odd as for a DIPA that is smooth, relatively speaking, to drink and not a total tastebud killer I find that I can't really pick out any discernable malt presence. Finish is very crisp and strong thanks to carbonation and ABV although not a bleeder. This is a beer I really enjoyed yet one was enough for me.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is beer is for extreme hop-heads only. The maltiness and high gravity of the beer mask some of the extreme bitterness from so many hops in the boil. At 9.5% it is an intense experience. I really enjoy this one, but I like hops more than the average drinker.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to mnphish for the pour!

Pours a glowing copper gold with a slim and soapy cap of off-white carbonation.

Pungent conifer, mango and sweet citrus. Smells beautiful. So far so good.

Hops all up in my grill... definitely too hoppy to butt chug but I totally would if I could.

Delicious, even if it's exclusively a mouth drinker.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.