Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Palate Wrecker Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle. Pours a murky burnt orange color with a half inch of head. Lots of lacing. Big whiff of piney and citrus hops. Slightly sweet. The flavor is very dry, piney bitter hops. Some sweet malt flavor but the piney hops dominate. Nice alcohol presence. Dry finish. Oily mouthfeel. This is certainly a bitter Imperial IPA. More malt presence than I expected. Overall, this is a great hoppy beer worth seeking out.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass

For some reason this is one of the only green flash brews that isnt in my area so I got it out of town. Been looking forward to this for a while.

A- Super hazy orange with a two finger foamy head. What a double should look like.

S- Potent pine needles and sugary citrus fruits ranging from mango, pineapple and lime. A sweet malt backbone that is completely engulfed by hops. It's a fantastic smelling brew.

T- A touch of alcohol up front followed by a wave of bitterness and hop insanity. The hops are Very fruity and citrusy all across the board. A lot of lime, orange and pineapple. This beer is extremely piney which I love in an IPA. Not as bitter as I was expecting but still incredibly bitter. No malt flavors that I could pick up on.

M- Fairly warming. If you are ok with bitter then this one is pretty darn easy to drink. Leaves a bitter bite afterwards.

O- I feel that I am quite biased towards hop focused beers so having said that this one is definitely among the best. The hop flavor is potent and quite the experience. The beer itself is pretty easy drinking and its only fault in my eyes is a slight alcohol flavor I could live without.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Clear, orangey amber in the wine glass. Nice head. Carbonation is a little coarse. Mouthfeel is slick. Big hop smell.

Intense hop flavor and aroma, as you might suspect. Rather dry and tends toward astringency after a few sips.

Ridiculously strongly hopped, which I guess is the point. A little sweet, and plenty of malt as well. It's a pure hop intensity, fruity and resiny. Flavor keeps going and going. It's kind of like bitter candy. Definitely too much of a good thing, though it is almost drinkable. Hot with alcohol and spicy hop acids.

I wonder if anyone at Hamilton's has tried this out in the dog bowl. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Baron's Marketplace in San Diego.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Purchased from Platinum

Pours a nice smooth mango with great head and lacing.

Smell is citrus, pine, tropical fruits. Lots of pineapple and tangello. Great. Very luscious. Hop heaven. Do smell some malt also.

Wow, they weren't kidding. In the mouth this is truly bone dry. Lots of orange, pineapple and tropical fruits. No alcohol. Just hops; no sugar. This is as dry and bitter as black espresso and is honestly a little cloying after a while.

Mouthfeel is yummy hops and malt, lots of bitterness.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer. Also I seem to never be happy- I usually complain about beer being too sweet, and now I'm complaining about a DIPA being too dry. Would buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

a - poured a two-fingers thick light tan head into a snifter that left great lacing and sheeting throughout that billows really well. the body is a bright copper color.
s - big fruity hops like grapefruits and oranges.
t - grapefruit with some nice toffee balance.
m - creamy, medium thickness.
o - palate wrecker indeed. thank you, sir, may i have another?

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass snifter.

A: Pours a dark copper color with a slight yeast haze; likewise, the bottom of the bottle remains coated with a thin layer of sediment. The brew is topped with a one finger off-white that has limited retention, but it leaves lots of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Very hop-forward, with suggestions of grapefruit rind, orange juice, and grapefruit juice; rather earthy and floral too. The rich and complex aromas of multiple hop varieties largely mask even the alcohol esters. 3.75

T: Some sweetness is there but this is very much a bitter brew, and the bitterness seems to build with repeated tasting. There is less citrus here than in the nose.

M: Full body; Medium+ carbonation; a bit harsh and acidic, presumably from the high hop load and ABV.

O: As warned, this strongly flavored beer assaults the senses and leaves a long-lasting bitter aftertaste with hints of grapefruit and pine. Quite bitter even among DIPAs. A less balanced alternative to brews like Hopslam, Stone Ruination or Hop Stoopid, all of which I definitely prefer to this strong and challenging beverage.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pale amber with steady piles of taupe rocky head that rims. Straight, insanely heavy fresh hop sack nose with piles of resin.
Bit of caramel and some orange sorbet then lots of orange and sap hops.
Big tangerine end and a bitter linger. Medium, clingy, oily, salty with slight stick.

Are there pellet hops here? Not enough aroma, somehow. Not what I'd expect from a SDPA.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color with moderate yeast haze. The head is a two finger offwhite color with a frothy texture and good retention. A thick wall of lacing is left nicely on the glass.

S: Quite malty - oh who the hell am I kidding, this is loaded with insane hoppiness. Grapefruit rind, pine, dankness, weed, onions, and even some black pepper all mingle on the nose. Basically, anything one might expect in an extreme DIPA is all here. Only the slightest hint of caramel malts break up the hop assault.

T: And there we go, this is really bitter from the hops. There isn't much citric qualities here, this is almost entirely piny, floral, resinous, and faintly metallic. Touches of caramel malt in the midtaste try in vain to balance things, but are quickly overtaken by massive finishing bitterness and booze.

M: Heavy and a little syrupy; I prefer my DIPAs to be a little lighter and more delicate. This doesn't have a particularly clean finish, but make no mistake, this still turns the palate into scorched earth with gobs and shitloads of hop oils and resin. As a result, it's very difficult to drink a bottle of this quickly. Moderately high carbonation and extreme dryness.

O: If you don't like overly bitter DIPAs, avoid this like the plague. If this is the kind of DIPA you're looking for (a completely unbalanced palate killer), then there are few better. Basically, if you're the kind who loves Dave's Insanity Sauce (guilty), then this will be right up your alley.

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

OK, first let me say, that of all types of beer, IPA's are my least favorite. If I would like excessive bitterness, I would choose to chew on aspirin.

I purchased this on tap at a restaurant because it was most bang for your buck. How bad could it be? I've drank plenty of IPAs that are decent, and I'm sure (as any beer) this will go down and be at least OK.

Pours gold/amber. Nice white head (1/2 inch).

Smell: Citrus, pineapple, pine. Not too bad of a smell. At this point, I think it will do the job.

Taste: Ugh. How can you taste it? It is bitter in a glass. Trying to get beyond the bitterness, I tasted pine, maybe some orange peel. It was BAD. I know a lot of folks love this bitterness stuff, but this went too far. Again, if I wanted to taste bitterness, I would chew on my daily aspirin. But nobody does that.

Mouthfeel - Not too much body, probably because the bitterness takes over. I couldn't wait to finish it. At least at 9.5% I will get a little buzz out of the whole experience.

Overall: Obviously my ranking is way out of the norm for this beer. I understand that IPA's are not my thing, but I really cannot understand why anyone would rank this so high. I think any beer company could put a ton of bitterness into their beer. But they also need to have room in there for some complex tastes and a good body. Again, I've drank a ton of IPAs, all better than this one. This was the worst IPA I've ever had.

Only reason I gave overall a 1.5 instead of a 1.0 is because it at least has a lot of alcohol.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Bronze with an off-white head, bit of retention, some lace.

Huge aroma of pine, grapefruit rind, dried mango, candied pineapple and sponge toffee.

Assertive bitterness, piny resin, grapefruit rind, mango, papaya, sponge toffee, hint of biscuit, some alcohol warmth but it's surprisingly clouded by the plethora of flavour.

Perfect attenuation. It has a crisp, dry finish without any alcohol burn. Plenty of hop acidity.

Overall, a really great brew. Definitely among the best of the DIPA's.

I really need to try this back-to-back with a Pliny the Elder.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.