Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008)
3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

12 oz bottle shared by Thorpe, sampled alongside Deviant Dale's and Resin. All were a disappointing letdown in their own unique ways.

Pours a light clear copper with a thin foamy white head with ample lace. Exceptionally malty nose with mild citrus and grapefruit rind. Flavor is exceptionally bitter and dry, loads of resin and a robust malt presence as well. Bitter? yes. But also a little too sweet and sugary. Disappointing from Green Flash, particularly after Rayon Vert turned out so enjoyable.

yourefragile, Apr 04, 2012

cfinch2, Apr 03, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

My wife got this for me about a week ago. My friend tried it before I did and said it really was a palate wrecker.

Appearance- copper color, nice head, nice lacing

Smell- beautiful smell of hops, smells very fresh like they do before they are added to the wort, I love that smell.

Taste- very hoppy but very well balanced, tastes and smells like fresh hops into the wort, piney

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, nice carbonation

Drinkabilty- It is delicious. I love it. One of the best! The hops in there are so wonderful!

jeffjeff1, Apr 03, 2012

JimmyTango, Apr 03, 2012

Jhatwig, Apr 03, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

bsullivanuser, Apr 03, 2012

Texasfan549, Apr 03, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a modest head that leaves some splashy lace behind

Smell: Grapefruit pith and quite a bit of caramel

Taste: Caramel malt, for a brief second, and then the hops take over bringing citrus pith initially; after the swallow, I get some onions and a return of the sugars that makes for a sweet, though balanced, finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Was really hoping for more from this beer as I love almost everything that Green Flash produces; not bad, but the onions and sweetness on the finish reduce its appeal to me

brentk56, Apr 02, 2012

leprakhan, Apr 02, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a snifter.

A: Somewhere between copper and gold and perfectly clear-I really like this colour in an IPA. The lacing is just insane. It's like someone put bubble bath in my beer.

S: Overwhelmingly hoppy. No malts or anything else, just spicy hops. Not terribly complex, but I'm kinda impressed that they packed this much hop aroma into a beer.

T: Did I say kinda impressed? I'm really impressed. This might be the hoppiest beer I've ever had that doesn't just seem like a novelty or a gimmick. There seems to be a spectrum of IIPAs. On the one hand there are those that strive for balance and are indistinguishable from American barleywines. On the other hand are those that just go for hop overkill. This one pushes the limits of the latter tendency to a realm I've never experienced, save perhaps in Devil Dancer, which, while interesting, is such a boozy mess as to be utterly undrinkable. This beer, on the other hand, is actually tasty. Grapefruit rind makes an unsurprising appearance, but the onion flavours I associate with beers like Ruination dominate. I know this turns some folks off, but I really enjoy a bit of onion-y hops. This one is spicy and lively.

M: A bit less carbonation than I usually like for this style, but the liveliness of the hops on the tongue keep me from noticing unless I specifically focus on it. Honestly, I have to focus on the mouthfeel to notice it-nothing here enhances the beer, but neither does it hinder the beer.

O: As I said before, most beers that are over-the-top hoppy strike me as novelties, but this one is actually pleasant. Still, it strikes me as a slightly more extreme version of Ruination, which is easier to get and a lot cheaper, so I'm not sure how often I'll seek this one out.

eatabagofbooger, Apr 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +1%

A - pours a medium orange gold that's clear with minimal head and a thin white lacing ring, no carbonation. Head starts thick but dies down quick.

S - The nose is full of spicy tropical fruit orange and grapefruit rinds. Peppery and resinous.

T - Follows the nose and lives up to the title. Spicy tropical fruit resins, peppery, and ground fruit rinds. The caramel malt in this beer is merely a formality. Sweet malt hits up front but gets beaten down by a wall of bitterness. Finishes with a spicy sweet bitterness and is gradually replaced with just a straight up bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium body, slightly dry, and coats the tongue with a ridiculous amount of hop resins.

O - Awesome IPA and lives up to its name, my palette is trashed!

jzeilinger, Apr 02, 2012

injuredreserve, Apr 02, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Intense and aromatic. This beer hits you hard right from the start. Classic West Coast IPA with citrusy, piney nose, full bodied flavor and over the top hoppiness taste. Strong notes of grapefruit and toasted bread. Every sip leaves you wanting another. At 9.5%, a 22 oz'er is all the name says it is - a palate wrecker. Outstanding effort from the guys in San Diego.

ImperialRed36, Apr 02, 2012

From notes:

This is a beer with a very subtle and well balanced, pleasant bitterness. If you want to teach yourself to like bitter hops, this would be an excellent entry point.

A little bit of pine and freshly mowed grass are what come through the aroma. A flowery, breezy taste just takes over and fills your mouth.

This is truly an amazing beer and I look forward to my next encounter.

sayyad, Apr 01, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a clear dark orange with a 2 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. A foamy latticework of lace forms down the glass with each sip. Smell is of citrus zest, grapefruit, and herbal hops. Taste is of intense citrus zest, citrus fruit, and grapefruit extract. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slight crispness and a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer but it's quite hoppy without any real malt presence.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 01, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours medium gold and perfectly transparent. Frothy white head. Looks nice, if fairly generic.

Big grapefruit rind aroma. Really big. It's definitely a GF beer. Tons of hops. Lots of resiny, sticky pine. Flashes of bright lemon. There's some light caramel sweetness, but it's way in the background. The beer almost smells bitter.

The taste starts with a touch of sugary malt. Strong hop bitterness quickly takes over, but it doesn't entirely overwhelm the malt until the finish. The finish is strong with more of that sticky, resinous hop flavor. After each sip, it feels like my mouth is coated with hop extract. It's intense and wonderful.

Light to medium body, particularly for a beer of this strength. Hop oiliness all over the palate.

I'd like to shake the hand of whoever recently lit a fire under Green Flash. Between Palate Wrecker and Rayon Vert, they are a huge two for two with new beers. I've always liked their stuff, but I didn't expect anything quite this excellent.

popery, Apr 01, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Blistered...that's what your tongue feels like after the first sip of Green Flash's latest DIPA entry. There is a good reason they call this bad boy “Palate Wrecker”, there is nothing smooth or subtle about this brew. It's an in your face HOP A-BOMB! This brew pours a brilliant golden orange with a fingers worth of a white head that leave nice lacing. The aroma is amazing and is very reminiscent of “Pliny the Elder” in that it has big citrus and pine notes to it. My first thought after I tasted it... “What the %^&* just happened to my tongue?” I could feel my pupils dilate as my taste buds were obliterated by a bitterness like I've never tasted before. There is absolutely no malt backbone to balance out the hop bitterness but who cares? That's why I bought this beer, to be blown away by a super hoppy beer and “Palate Wrecker” more than fits the bill.

Topher78, Apr 01, 2012

TicoCali, Apr 01, 2012

RollBeerTide, Mar 31, 2012

Lantern, Mar 31, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Stumpy29er, Mar 31, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Palate Wrecker is not a name that leaves you wondering why they called it that. This is one of the most bitter beers I have ever tried, and I like it. Less floral and fruity than Green Flash's other IPA's this beer pours a very light copper color and hits you with hardcore hop and long lasting burnt bitter flavor. While this is a beer worth appreciating, it's hard to see myself drinking more than one at a time, the appealing flavors of the IPA don't really seem to be existent. In that sense, it doesn't live up to the advertisement on the bottle that it is a very complex beer, more it's an experimental specialty brew pushing the limits of layered dry hopping in the IPA style.

BenHesk12, Mar 31, 2012

DonFrap, Mar 31, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

miked234, Mar 31, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured a clear, dark copper color with a frothy white head rising well above the top of the beer. Nice lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a strong hoppiness to it with a resiny, orange rind and grapefruit bitterness being the dominant flavor. I get some alcohol mixing with some malty sweetness. It's definitely a hop forward beer though.

The taste has some malty, slightly caramel like flavors to it up front. midway though a very bold resiny, citrus rind, grapefruit hoppiness starts to take over and lasts through the finish. A little bit of candied orange is there as well.

The mouthfeel is a little above average with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty good beer. It had a pretty bold, bitter, resiny hoppiness to it which fit the name of the beer pretty well.

billab914, Mar 31, 2012
Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.