Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green Flash Palate Wrecker Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a snifter.

A: Somewhere between copper and gold and perfectly clear-I really like this colour in an IPA. The lacing is just insane. It's like someone put bubble bath in my beer.

S: Overwhelmingly hoppy. No malts or anything else, just spicy hops. Not terribly complex, but I'm kinda impressed that they packed this much hop aroma into a beer.

T: Did I say kinda impressed? I'm really impressed. This might be the hoppiest beer I've ever had that doesn't just seem like a novelty or a gimmick. There seems to be a spectrum of IIPAs. On the one hand there are those that strive for balance and are indistinguishable from American barleywines. On the other hand are those that just go for hop overkill. This one pushes the limits of the latter tendency to a realm I've never experienced, save perhaps in Devil Dancer, which, while interesting, is such a boozy mess as to be utterly undrinkable. This beer, on the other hand, is actually tasty. Grapefruit rind makes an unsurprising appearance, but the onion flavours I associate with beers like Ruination dominate. I know this turns some folks off, but I really enjoy a bit of onion-y hops. This one is spicy and lively.

M: A bit less carbonation than I usually like for this style, but the liveliness of the hops on the tongue keep me from noticing unless I specifically focus on it. Honestly, I have to focus on the mouthfeel to notice it-nothing here enhances the beer, but neither does it hinder the beer.

O: As I said before, most beers that are over-the-top hoppy strike me as novelties, but this one is actually pleasant. Still, it strikes me as a slightly more extreme version of Ruination, which is easier to get and a lot cheaper, so I'm not sure how often I'll seek this one out.

eatabagofbooger, Apr 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +1%

A - pours a medium orange gold that's clear with minimal head and a thin white lacing ring, no carbonation. Head starts thick but dies down quick.

S - The nose is full of spicy tropical fruit orange and grapefruit rinds. Peppery and resinous.

T - Follows the nose and lives up to the title. Spicy tropical fruit resins, peppery, and ground fruit rinds. The caramel malt in this beer is merely a formality. Sweet malt hits up front but gets beaten down by a wall of bitterness. Finishes with a spicy sweet bitterness and is gradually replaced with just a straight up bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium body, slightly dry, and coats the tongue with a ridiculous amount of hop resins.

O - Awesome IPA and lives up to its name, my palette is trashed!

jzeilinger, Apr 02, 2012

injuredreserve, Apr 02, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Intense and aromatic. This beer hits you hard right from the start. Classic West Coast IPA with citrusy, piney nose, full bodied flavor and over the top hoppiness taste. Strong notes of grapefruit and toasted bread. Every sip leaves you wanting another. At 9.5%, a 22 oz'er is all the name says it is - a palate wrecker. Outstanding effort from the guys in San Diego.

ImperialRed36, Apr 02, 2012

From notes:

This is a beer with a very subtle and well balanced, pleasant bitterness. If you want to teach yourself to like bitter hops, this would be an excellent entry point.

A little bit of pine and freshly mowed grass are what come through the aroma. A flowery, breezy taste just takes over and fills your mouth.

This is truly an amazing beer and I look forward to my next encounter.

sayyad, Apr 01, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a clear dark orange with a 2 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. A foamy latticework of lace forms down the glass with each sip. Smell is of citrus zest, grapefruit, and herbal hops. Taste is of intense citrus zest, citrus fruit, and grapefruit extract. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slight crispness and a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer but it's quite hoppy without any real malt presence.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 01, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours medium gold and perfectly transparent. Frothy white head. Looks nice, if fairly generic.

Big grapefruit rind aroma. Really big. It's definitely a GF beer. Tons of hops. Lots of resiny, sticky pine. Flashes of bright lemon. There's some light caramel sweetness, but it's way in the background. The beer almost smells bitter.

The taste starts with a touch of sugary malt. Strong hop bitterness quickly takes over, but it doesn't entirely overwhelm the malt until the finish. The finish is strong with more of that sticky, resinous hop flavor. After each sip, it feels like my mouth is coated with hop extract. It's intense and wonderful.

Light to medium body, particularly for a beer of this strength. Hop oiliness all over the palate.

I'd like to shake the hand of whoever recently lit a fire under Green Flash. Between Palate Wrecker and Rayon Vert, they are a huge two for two with new beers. I've always liked their stuff, but I didn't expect anything quite this excellent.

popery, Apr 01, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Blistered...that's what your tongue feels like after the first sip of Green Flash's latest DIPA entry. There is a good reason they call this bad boy “Palate Wrecker”, there is nothing smooth or subtle about this brew. It's an in your face HOP A-BOMB! This brew pours a brilliant golden orange with a fingers worth of a white head that leave nice lacing. The aroma is amazing and is very reminiscent of “Pliny the Elder” in that it has big citrus and pine notes to it. My first thought after I tasted it... “What the %^&* just happened to my tongue?” I could feel my pupils dilate as my taste buds were obliterated by a bitterness like I've never tasted before. There is absolutely no malt backbone to balance out the hop bitterness but who cares? That's why I bought this beer, to be blown away by a super hoppy beer and “Palate Wrecker” more than fits the bill.

Topher78, Apr 01, 2012

TicoCali, Apr 01, 2012

RollBeerTide, Mar 31, 2012

Lantern, Mar 31, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Stumpy29er, Mar 31, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Palate Wrecker is not a name that leaves you wondering why they called it that. This is one of the most bitter beers I have ever tried, and I like it. Less floral and fruity than Green Flash's other IPA's this beer pours a very light copper color and hits you with hardcore hop and long lasting burnt bitter flavor. While this is a beer worth appreciating, it's hard to see myself drinking more than one at a time, the appealing flavors of the IPA don't really seem to be existent. In that sense, it doesn't live up to the advertisement on the bottle that it is a very complex beer, more it's an experimental specialty brew pushing the limits of layered dry hopping in the IPA style.

BenHesk12, Mar 31, 2012

DonFrap, Mar 31, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

miked234, Mar 31, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured a clear, dark copper color with a frothy white head rising well above the top of the beer. Nice lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a strong hoppiness to it with a resiny, orange rind and grapefruit bitterness being the dominant flavor. I get some alcohol mixing with some malty sweetness. It's definitely a hop forward beer though.

The taste has some malty, slightly caramel like flavors to it up front. midway though a very bold resiny, citrus rind, grapefruit hoppiness starts to take over and lasts through the finish. A little bit of candied orange is there as well.

The mouthfeel is a little above average with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty good beer. It had a pretty bold, bitter, resiny hoppiness to it which fit the name of the beer pretty well.

billab914, Mar 31, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at Lazy Boy in White Plains, NY.
Poured into pint.
Looks like crisp golden hay but nice thick head. Smells of piney hops, but slight citrus and sweet. Taste is of very strong hop and pine flavors. A bit of pineapple/grapefruit and cotton candy. Very nice and surprising DIPA. Worth trying if you see it..heck, if you see this on tap, im sure there are other great brews to try, but still worth a taste for sure. Enjoy.

DrinkSlurm, Mar 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

DelicateDelirium, Mar 30, 2012

BenTherHppedThat, Mar 30, 2012

CEDAMA, Mar 30, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of largadeer. Thanks, Chris!

A: Pours a clear amber-gold body with a pinky finger of off-white head that breaks apart into a large-bubbled cap. Not much lace.

S: Orange and grapefruit citrus with a heavy pine resin presence. There is a noticeable malt sweetness as well. It's faintly woodsy and tea-like; very interesting.

T, M: Orange, grapefruit, and pine resin up front, with a mild, tea-like astringency in the finish. It's not as clean as I was hoping, with some oily residue that lives up to the beer's name. I find the carbonation only half-cleansing. Medium body.

O: This is pretty solid. I'd buy more if they bottle dated.

Arbitrator, Mar 30, 2012

JRod1969, Mar 30, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into shaped Dogfish pint.

A - Pours a hazy auburn color with a one finger pillow of off-white head. The head retains well and there is a great lacing left down the glass.

S - There is a powerful raw hop aroma of resin and pine. Also some serious citrus. The smell makes my mouth start to water. I catch another whiff every time I put it up to my mouth for a sip, and it gets a little bit danker each time, bordering on a trash aroma.

T - Immediately bitter with a strong pine hop bite. The middle mellows out a bit with some grapefruit, but it quickly returns to the hop assault on the finish. Leaves me with a resinous pine aftertaste that drys the tongue and throat. I enjoy it more and more as it warms and some of the balancing flavors appear.

M - Medium feel with a good carbonation. Suits the style well.

O - I was happy to snag this beer a few weeks ago in VA the first day it came in. There was no question to its freshness, which is important for a beer like this. It isn't quite a one-sided hop bomb, but it isn't far off. It lives up to it's name and I certainly wouldn't sample more beers of the style following this due to the tainted palate you will inevitably experience. It was a bit pricey, but I will get it again. Worth trying if you are a hop-head, but if you are easily turned off by bitterness, shy away.

NoLeafClover44, Mar 30, 2012

freduardo, Mar 30, 2012

DaveONan, Mar 29, 2012
Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.