Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Reviews: 718 | Hads: 3,997
3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle shared by Thorpe, sampled alongside Deviant Dale's and Resin. All were a disappointing letdown in their own unique ways.

Pours a light clear copper with a thin foamy white head with ample lace. Exceptionally malty nose with mild citrus and grapefruit rind. Flavor is exceptionally bitter and dry, loads of resin and a robust malt presence as well. Bitter? yes. But also a little too sweet and sugary. Disappointing from Green Flash, particularly after Rayon Vert turned out so enjoyable.

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

My wife got this for me about a week ago. My friend tried it before I did and said it really was a palate wrecker.

Appearance- copper color, nice head, nice lacing

Smell- beautiful smell of hops, smells very fresh like they do before they are added to the wort, I love that smell.

Taste- very hoppy but very well balanced, tastes and smells like fresh hops into the wort, piney

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, nice carbonation

Drinkabilty- It is delicious. I love it. One of the best! The hops in there are so wonderful!

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a modest head that leaves some splashy lace behind

Smell: Grapefruit pith and quite a bit of caramel

Taste: Caramel malt, for a brief second, and then the hops take over bringing citrus pith initially; after the swallow, I get some onions and a return of the sugars that makes for a sweet, though balanced, finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Was really hoping for more from this beer as I love almost everything that Green Flash produces; not bad, but the onions and sweetness on the finish reduce its appeal to me

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a snifter.

A: Somewhere between copper and gold and perfectly clear-I really like this colour in an IPA. The lacing is just insane. It's like someone put bubble bath in my beer.

S: Overwhelmingly hoppy. No malts or anything else, just spicy hops. Not terribly complex, but I'm kinda impressed that they packed this much hop aroma into a beer.

T: Did I say kinda impressed? I'm really impressed. This might be the hoppiest beer I've ever had that doesn't just seem like a novelty or a gimmick. There seems to be a spectrum of IIPAs. On the one hand there are those that strive for balance and are indistinguishable from American barleywines. On the other hand are those that just go for hop overkill. This one pushes the limits of the latter tendency to a realm I've never experienced, save perhaps in Devil Dancer, which, while interesting, is such a boozy mess as to be utterly undrinkable. This beer, on the other hand, is actually tasty. Grapefruit rind makes an unsurprising appearance, but the onion flavours I associate with beers like Ruination dominate. I know this turns some folks off, but I really enjoy a bit of onion-y hops. This one is spicy and lively.

M: A bit less carbonation than I usually like for this style, but the liveliness of the hops on the tongue keep me from noticing unless I specifically focus on it. Honestly, I have to focus on the mouthfeel to notice it-nothing here enhances the beer, but neither does it hinder the beer.

O: As I said before, most beers that are over-the-top hoppy strike me as novelties, but this one is actually pleasant. Still, it strikes me as a slightly more extreme version of Ruination, which is easier to get and a lot cheaper, so I'm not sure how often I'll seek this one out.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

A - pours a medium orange gold that's clear with minimal head and a thin white lacing ring, no carbonation. Head starts thick but dies down quick.

S - The nose is full of spicy tropical fruit orange and grapefruit rinds. Peppery and resinous.

T - Follows the nose and lives up to the title. Spicy tropical fruit resins, peppery, and ground fruit rinds. The caramel malt in this beer is merely a formality. Sweet malt hits up front but gets beaten down by a wall of bitterness. Finishes with a spicy sweet bitterness and is gradually replaced with just a straight up bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium body, slightly dry, and coats the tongue with a ridiculous amount of hop resins.

O - Awesome IPA and lives up to its name, my palette is trashed!

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Intense and aromatic. This beer hits you hard right from the start. Classic West Coast IPA with citrusy, piney nose, full bodied flavor and over the top hoppiness taste. Strong notes of grapefruit and toasted bread. Every sip leaves you wanting another. At 9.5%, a 22 oz'er is all the name says it is - a palate wrecker. Outstanding effort from the guys in San Diego.

From notes:

This is a beer with a very subtle and well balanced, pleasant bitterness. If you want to teach yourself to like bitter hops, this would be an excellent entry point.

A little bit of pine and freshly mowed grass are what come through the aroma. A flowery, breezy taste just takes over and fills your mouth.

This is truly an amazing beer and I look forward to my next encounter.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a clear dark orange with a 2 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. A foamy latticework of lace forms down the glass with each sip. Smell is of citrus zest, grapefruit, and herbal hops. Taste is of intense citrus zest, citrus fruit, and grapefruit extract. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slight crispness and a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer but it's quite hoppy without any real malt presence.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours medium gold and perfectly transparent. Frothy white head. Looks nice, if fairly generic.

Big grapefruit rind aroma. Really big. It's definitely a GF beer. Tons of hops. Lots of resiny, sticky pine. Flashes of bright lemon. There's some light caramel sweetness, but it's way in the background. The beer almost smells bitter.

The taste starts with a touch of sugary malt. Strong hop bitterness quickly takes over, but it doesn't entirely overwhelm the malt until the finish. The finish is strong with more of that sticky, resinous hop flavor. After each sip, it feels like my mouth is coated with hop extract. It's intense and wonderful.

Light to medium body, particularly for a beer of this strength. Hop oiliness all over the palate.

I'd like to shake the hand of whoever recently lit a fire under Green Flash. Between Palate Wrecker and Rayon Vert, they are a huge two for two with new beers. I've always liked their stuff, but I didn't expect anything quite this excellent.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Blistered...that's what your tongue feels like after the first sip of Green Flash's latest DIPA entry. There is a good reason they call this bad boy “Palate Wrecker”, there is nothing smooth or subtle about this brew. It's an in your face HOP A-BOMB! This brew pours a brilliant golden orange with a fingers worth of a white head that leave nice lacing. The aroma is amazing and is very reminiscent of “Pliny the Elder” in that it has big citrus and pine notes to it. My first thought after I tasted it... “What the %^&* just happened to my tongue?” I could feel my pupils dilate as my taste buds were obliterated by a bitterness like I've never tasted before. There is absolutely no malt backbone to balance out the hop bitterness but who cares? That's why I bought this beer, to be blown away by a super hoppy beer and “Palate Wrecker” more than fits the bill.

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Palate Wrecker is not a name that leaves you wondering why they called it that. This is one of the most bitter beers I have ever tried, and I like it. Less floral and fruity than Green Flash's other IPA's this beer pours a very light copper color and hits you with hardcore hop and long lasting burnt bitter flavor. While this is a beer worth appreciating, it's hard to see myself drinking more than one at a time, the appealing flavors of the IPA don't really seem to be existent. In that sense, it doesn't live up to the advertisement on the bottle that it is a very complex beer, more it's an experimental specialty brew pushing the limits of layered dry hopping in the IPA style.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured a clear, dark copper color with a frothy white head rising well above the top of the beer. Nice lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a strong hoppiness to it with a resiny, orange rind and grapefruit bitterness being the dominant flavor. I get some alcohol mixing with some malty sweetness. It's definitely a hop forward beer though.

The taste has some malty, slightly caramel like flavors to it up front. midway though a very bold resiny, citrus rind, grapefruit hoppiness starts to take over and lasts through the finish. A little bit of candied orange is there as well.

The mouthfeel is a little above average with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty good beer. It had a pretty bold, bitter, resiny hoppiness to it which fit the name of the beer pretty well.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at Lazy Boy in White Plains, NY.
Poured into pint.
Looks like crisp golden hay but nice thick head. Smells of piney hops, but slight citrus and sweet. Taste is of very strong hop and pine flavors. A bit of pineapple/grapefruit and cotton candy. Very nice and surprising DIPA. Worth trying if you see it..heck, if you see this on tap, im sure there are other great brews to try, but still worth a taste for sure. Enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of largadeer. Thanks, Chris!

A: Pours a clear amber-gold body with a pinky finger of off-white head that breaks apart into a large-bubbled cap. Not much lace.

S: Orange and grapefruit citrus with a heavy pine resin presence. There is a noticeable malt sweetness as well. It's faintly woodsy and tea-like; very interesting.

T, M: Orange, grapefruit, and pine resin up front, with a mild, tea-like astringency in the finish. It's not as clean as I was hoping, with some oily residue that lives up to the beer's name. I find the carbonation only half-cleansing. Medium body.

O: This is pretty solid. I'd buy more if they bottle dated.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into shaped Dogfish pint.

A - Pours a hazy auburn color with a one finger pillow of off-white head. The head retains well and there is a great lacing left down the glass.

S - There is a powerful raw hop aroma of resin and pine. Also some serious citrus. The smell makes my mouth start to water. I catch another whiff every time I put it up to my mouth for a sip, and it gets a little bit danker each time, bordering on a trash aroma.

T - Immediately bitter with a strong pine hop bite. The middle mellows out a bit with some grapefruit, but it quickly returns to the hop assault on the finish. Leaves me with a resinous pine aftertaste that drys the tongue and throat. I enjoy it more and more as it warms and some of the balancing flavors appear.

M - Medium feel with a good carbonation. Suits the style well.

O - I was happy to snag this beer a few weeks ago in VA the first day it came in. There was no question to its freshness, which is important for a beer like this. It isn't quite a one-sided hop bomb, but it isn't far off. It lives up to it's name and I certainly wouldn't sample more beers of the style following this due to the tainted palate you will inevitably experience. It was a bit pricey, but I will get it again. Worth trying if you are a hop-head, but if you are easily turned off by bitterness, shy away.

4.51/5  rDev +8.9%

Hell yes, That's all I want to start off saying. I just tried this beast last night and was so glad I did. I found it at a home brew shop in orange and I coincidentally was going there to buy a bag of hops. I simply just love the smell of hops, nothing better. I have really grown to like IPA's as of recent because of the mix between different hops and aromas that really come out. This beer smelt like a true hop king. I wanted to sit there smelling it all night. The appearance was good, but with a smell like it had, i didn't much care what it looked like. The taste was great too, again, if your a hop lover, otherwise be prepared for a smack in the face. I am not going to say there is nothing else to the beer, but the hops are so prevalent it was hard for me to taste much else. Mouth feel was good, strong. Bitter enough u didn't want to let it sit there terribly long. Overall a must try for IPA fans!

2.42/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

On tap in Oceanside on the 18th, reviewed from notes.

Aroma is predominantly of fresh, piney hops with some citrus and booze characters too. Flavor profile is exactly what you should expect from the name: a hop bomb of the first order. Extremely biting, bitter, and alcoholic. No perceptible malt sweetness to balance out this beast. This beer embodies everything I dislike about IPAs.

Thank god we finished our bottle of Churchill's Finest Hour before touching this monster. A true palate wrecker.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Common Table in Dallas. The beer pours a clear gold/yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the hops. I get a lot of orange citrus and pine notes, as well as some caramel malt to keep things balanced. The flavor is definitely all about the hops. I get a ton of bitterness as well as some bitter oranges and pine notes. The caramel malt is hidden in the background and plays a secondary role. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

A: pours a clear light gold with an ample white head and decent retention. slowly recedes to a quarter inch of remaining foam.
S: smells of citrus, mostly grapefruit and a bit of caramel sweetness
T: slowly building hoppy character with a little bit of breadiness. Faint hints of pine and grapefruit in the mouth but on the swallow it is all hops that coat the mouth with a burst of pine, citrus, and a slight floral flavor with plenty of oily hop goodness to go around
M: slightly thin with soft and slightly prickly at times carbonation.
O: This beer is a trickster. I let it sit in my mouth and it tastes like a bitter but on the swallow is a huge punch in the mouth of hop flavor. this beer went from 'why did I buy a four pack' to 'I'm glad there's more!'

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

A: pours a clear yellow-gold with two fingers of white head that fades into a thin ring with decent lacing.

S: lots of citrusy hop aromas with grapefruit dominating. Strong pine and sticky weed aromas follow.

T: grapefruit and resiny pine dominate the flavor, though again with some dank weed notes. The finish is resiny and bitter, though just barely avoids being too much so.

M: medium body with mid-low carbonation, this beer feels resiny and sticky in the mouth.

O: a good IPA, overall. It manages to be sticky, earthy, and bitter without being too much so.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

No bottling dates. 2012 release.

Clear, dark amber body. A giant, billowing, light tan head pours out. Thick and foamy, it slowly collapses in on itself, leaving a scant cover with moderate lacing.

Tons of hop aromas on the nose: pine, citrus and cedar. Faint caramel malts and fruity esters.

First sip lives up to the name: caramel malts followed by a walloping hop bitterness. Whoa! Subsequent sips show a little more restraint. Caramel and biscuit malts peek their heads up. The hops are right there again, with flavors of pine, citrus, cedar and a spice from the alcohol. The bitterness stays in the mouth for a damn long time.

This is a good example of a beer that doesn't try to be balanced, but is still well done. This brewery knows what they're doing.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very nice clear honey color. Nice white head pretty much stayed the whole time. Nice lacing too.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. Very citrusy. Bit of maybe pineapple. Reminds me of knuckle sandwitch.

Tastes great. Very hoppy. Guess that's why they call it palate wrecker. Nice maltyness to it though. After a few sips the bitterness really destroys your tongue. Bit of honey sweetness. It's kinda knuckle sandwitch-ish but a lot more bitter.

Mouthfeel is nice. Nice balance. Nice carb.

Overall a tasty beer. So bitter. Wouldn't drink a ton of it but it's a good beer for sure

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at CK. Beer is amber and clear with a soft white cap of medium and small bubbles, nice retention but low carbonation, looks nice.

Aroma is strong in my face with some nice earthy CTZ hop aromas. Not sure what hops exactly but it has that sense, mild malt sweetness cuts through as well.

This beer is bitter, the finish isn't too dry but it is quite bitter. Mildly dry I suppose, medium in body to start out with, beer is chewy with resinous hops, nice throughout, if you like your IPAs big and hoppy, this is a good one.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle into tulip.

A: clear and orange. bright orange. big sticky white head has great retention and tons of sticky lacing.

S: this thing is bursting with spruce trees and pine sap. definitely a solid honey aroma as well. certainly a hop-centric aroma.

T: similar to the nose, a big dose of piney, sap-like flavor to start things off. pine flavor remains throughout the palate. finish is nice and bitter, but definitely not overwhelming or cloying. there is some pineapple in there too.

M: carbonation is fine bubbled and zesty. full-bodied.

D: i have to disagree with the name of this beer. my palate is not wreaked. it is happy. very happy. super hoppy brew is not overwhelmed with a massive malt body. to be honest, i couldnt even detect much malt at all. hard to believe this is 9.5%abv. really tasty stuff from green flash.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was a huge, foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: The smell hits you the moment you open the bottle: A massive shot of hops, along with a lot of citrus as well.

T: Tasted exactly like a West Coast DIPA should taste: Massive amounts of hops, citrus (grapefruit), a little malt, and piney quality. ABV% is barely noticeable. A complex and enjoyable flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth, yet bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

O: An excellent, well made, easy to drink beer.

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.