Green Flash Palate Wrecker - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Palate WreckerGreen Flash Palate Wrecker

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: seaoflament on 10-04-2008

Originally brewed to celebrate Hamilton's Second Anniversary
Reviews: 721 | Hads: 4,012
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a ever-so-slightly hazy amber color with a two-inch off-white head that has great staying power, slowly reducing to leave sticky webbed lacing behind.

I think I just cracked open am evergreen bough and stuffed it up my nose. I may as well be rolling in the hemlock; this is one piney, resinous smelling brew! I've got to give it a few minutes to catch the hints of honey, pineapple and mango dancing just out of reach underneath this hop monster.

My tongue is curling as I start sipping this one; resinous, oily hops, tobacco, oak leaves and just a tease of sweet malt are curdling my mouth even before I get to the secondary bitter finish. The taste is intense enough to open the nasal passages and get that hop taste into my sinuses!

Medium to full bodied, I think my tongue is starting to go numb. The heat from this brew creeps down the throat and warms the belly.

Drinking this is like having a chile pepper eating contest; if you like spicy food, you'll jump at that challenge any time; if your idea of hot is a dash of tobasco sauce, then you'll bow out. Same here; serious hop-heads will like the challenge of this aptly names ale; everyone else will poo-poo this as over the top nonsense. I fall in the fire-breathing mouth wrecker category, and am enjoying this ale. Sadly, its intensity is making me regret that I've got all 22 ounces of this to myself.

Bomber poured into New Belgium Snifter

A- Translucent copper orange with nice white head. Moderate lacing. Great looking beer.

S- Big grapefruit and piney hops. A bit of earthy, dank hops. Bit of a caramel undertone. Very big and nice smelling beer.

T- This is a freshy! Big grapefruit rind and pine. Nice caramel undertone, but not enough to make this a balanced DIPA, which is exactly what I expected. This is a wonderful bitter beer!

M- Mouthfeel is awesome. Medium to full with perfect carbonation to create a nice creamy mouthfeel. Bitterness stays a long time on the palate.

O- As the name implies, this is a palate wrecker. Most enjoyable and one any hophead should seek out immediately.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured in to a tulip. 2 finger, off-white head with a clear copper colored body. Great lacing.

Aroma was very nice. Definitely a double IPA. Loads of citrus and malty sweetness. Some mango and grapefruit. Some caramel malts and a light breadiness.

Taste was great as well. Mild bitterness upfront that seems to increase on the tongue. Lingers slightly with a grapefruity-ness. Good maltiness mellows out the hops. Some definite caramel and bready flavors. Hop flavor is tropical flavors with some strong citrus, grapefruit and resinous hops. Coats the tongue in the finish, without being overly bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium body with medium-high carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall this was a nice brew. No signs of ABV, good bitterness without being excessive. Sweetness helps mellow it all out.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

I had this on cask at Pizza Port in Carlsbad yesterday and took notes. The smell is herbal, slightly spicy hops. The color is bright, clear copper in the glass with just a small bubbly head. The mouthfeel is so smooth and soft! The taste is woody and hoppy with a semi-sweet grainy malt in back. If there is such a thing as a non-sweet honey taste, I'd attribute that to this beer. It has a lovely apricot finish, too. I wish I could go back today for another round.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass, like all green flash beers this doesn't have a bottled on date. The color is a dark mahogany with a large off white small bubbled foamy head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of pine and grapefruit good with a little caramel. The feel is medium to a little heavy. The taste is overly good, nice amount of hops with caramel although not as tasty as fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap at Grace's during PBW.

A - A dark gold, filtered DIPA. Nice small cap of white foam that scrapes lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - A very grassy hop presence. A bit of lemon, lime, pine, a bit of MJ if ya catch my drift. No malt presence here.

T - Big notes of lemon and piney bitterness. Strong grassy notes, and strong hop dominance. This is what it says, rips your mouth apart! Theres a boozy sweetness to this that isn't a burden, but actually transitions into a strong caramel malt backbone. But, the initial hop blast is marvelous.

M - Mouth is medium bodied with mid to high carbonation. A lingering bitterness is constant. The IBU on this has to be through the roof.

O - As a DIPA I loved this. Honestly, almost up there with PTY. I will always get this when I see it, and am telling my beer geek friends about this immediately.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Incredibly hoppy and strong.

Appearance: Hazy dark orange pour with a slightly off white head.

Smell: Aroma is straight dank hops, pine resin, herbal notes, slightly sweet citrus and very pleasant.

Taste: Holy crap! Bitter but lots of citrus/grapefruit assault the palate. ABV is apparent in this but it's so enjoyable I don't care. This has a great refreshing characteristic after your are done with your first drink.

Mouthfeel: It is so very smooth but so refreshingly different. The hoppiness doesn't dominate and is very balanced with the malt aspect of the beer. The beer beckons to have more.

It does live up to its name. Pleasant citrus taste with tongue shredding bitterness. Fantastic IIPA, one of my favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Served from a fresh bottle into a Founders Tulip.

A - Beautiful in the glass. Deep to medium amber with a frothy, fluffy bone white head that lasts for a while. Legs for days. Only the slightest bit of haze.

S - I smell this one from 2 feet away. As soon as I popped the cap, a huge citrus grapefruit aroma leaped out. Massive pine notes with a touch of tropical note.

T - Outstanding beer for hopheads. Unless you love hops, steer clear. If you're like me, this one is a clear winner. Massive grapefruit notes with hints of citrusy tropical fruit. Grapefruit is the big flavor here. Dank, delicious hops. There's malt in this?

M - Carbonated very well. I remember seeing yeast at the bottom of West Coast IPA. Is Green Flash still bottle-conditioning? Minimal sediment in this one, but carbonated great. Slightly thick, which works for this beer.

O - Massive, massive hop-bomb of a DIPA. If you want to know what chewing on hop-cones feels like, pick this one up. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A: The beer pours out of the bottle a nice orange brown color with a billowing white head. Fluffy and thick, the head lasts forever and coats the side of my glass.

S: A big citrus aroma attacks the nostrils as you delve your nose into this one. It almost smells like you're holding a fresh hop in your hand. There is some light malt coming out as well. Hop bomb all the way, but nicely thought out.

T: I have to say this is pretty good. The hop resins really hang out on the back of the mouth as the citrus and grapefruit rules the taste. Bitter and piney, the hops provide a nice secondary taste to the fruits. This is a well executed beer, and the results live up to its name. You won't be able to taste much else for the rest of the night! (Not that that's a bad thing)

MF: The body is so light and crisp I can't believe how much flavor it has. The dry finish puts the cap on a wonderful beer that is just so easy to drink.

O: I enjoyed this even more than I did when I had it on-tap. Just a really outstanding Imperial IPA. Hope Green Flash keeps making this bad boy. Sit back, pop the bottle open, and relax. Perfect IPA for enjoying the warm weather.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

With 100+ ibu I assumed I would need a glass of water while drinking this, true to its name, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It has a nice honey orange color to it and a great taste. It sold extremely well for us.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A - Darker bronze. 2 and half fingers of white head. Nice alcohol lacing and some moderate carbonation floating to the top of the head. Good looking brew for sure.

S - HOPS. Lots and lots of citrus hops. I like the smell, but it really doesn't come off as complex as I had hoped. Lack of noticeable malt backbone might have something to do with that though.

T - HOP BOMB. Exactly what I wanted from this brew. At 149 IBUs I was NOT disappointed. Citrus and pine to the extreme. If it was any more hoppy, it might have been too much. But this damn near perfect for a DIPA. Best tasting DIPA that I have had so far.

M - medium bodied, smooth and drinkable. Nothing spectacular in the sense, but well above average. Very bitter, very good.

O - my favorite beer to date. Haven't had much to this point being a young BA guy, but damnit, my palate is in love with this hop bomb. Must buy for me. Will be picking up more for sure!

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Best By: 05-27-14) into a 13oz, Defiant Brewery etched tulip/balloon glass.

A- Pours a clear copper/amber color with a 1.5 finger, eggshell white, soapy head which sticks around for quite awhile...beautiful lacing as the brew is consumed.

S- Pungent dank hops: bitter citrus, pine resin, sweet tropical fruit and some booze.

T- Pine at the front of the palate followed by citrus flesh and and then bitter citrus rind. In contrast, I don't feel this is as an extreme DIPA as mentioned in previous reviews. Hop forward? Yes, absolutely...but not astringent as some might report.

M- A fairly slick (honey-like) mouthfeel. Chico/American/California ale yeast provides mild carbonation and allows the hop oils to have adequate time to absorb into the palate. A substantial malt backbone supports the hops nicely.

O- Despite the disparagement with ABV, Palate Wrecker is overtly reminiscent of Stone's Ruination IPA than anything else. If you have a penchant for bitter brews...this might be your weapon of choice. For the price, however, I will take Stone's Ruination without a thought. This is my 4th Green Flash brew and although I enjoy Palate Wrecker, I will prefer their Green Bullet, as it is much more unique. If/When Green Flash' satellite brewery in Virginia Beach, VA launches, I hope that brews like Palate Wrecker will be more affordable in the East Coast....until then, I will take Stone's Ruination IPA. (4Pack - $13.59)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. No freshness date. 4-pack purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $13.99.

A: Burnished amber with thick, rocky off-white 2-3 finger head with decent retention and spotty formations of lace.

S: The hops aroma is raw and explosive with tons of resin, pine, and grapefruit rind finishing with some wet hops herbal notes. The maltiness is provides some caramel and burned sugar notes.

T: The flavor is very bitter but very complex from a hops standpoint with resin, wet hops earthy herbal notes, and intense grapefruit rind. It is hefty but really well done without puckering bitterness -- there are layers of flavor that come through with intensity but without being overwhelming or overbearing. The maltiness is mostly sticky without being overly sweet. It provides the backing this kind of big hops blast needs.

M: The body is medium-to-full with low carbonation giving it a layering, slightly sticky feel. The aftertaste is herbal, wet hops with resin and grapefruit rind.

O: I was really surprised at how good this beer was. Green Flash WC IPA is a really good beer, but I have had some dogs from them (Barleywine for the worst example). This beer is upper tier for DIPAs -- intense, complex, hops-forward, with huge aroma and flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Served On Tap at the Black Squirrel in ADMO DC.

A: Orange gobstopper copper with a mellow sunset amber glow.

S: Hoppy sticky resin pine cone. Sweet grapefruit with candied orange bitter leavings.

T: This is one for the Hook Books. You can really taste 6 different Hop varietals flowing through this brew. Ruby red grapefruit forward. Orange rind and sappy pine cone. White confection sugar with coconut biscuit leavings. (tasting alot of biscuit lately...mmmm biscuits...)

M: Really descent medium carbo on this one. Very swisher feel to this one. NOt to heavy, not to light. It's jusssstt right..

O: A real winner for Green Flash. It takes 1st place in my taste book for them, beating out their Imperial and West Coast IPA's. A seriously goof treat for serious IPA coneheads.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This one pours from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Emerges clear and bronze in color with a stark white colored head. Loads of lacing, head retention, the works. Two finger sized head recedes very slowly into a quarter inch froth atop the beverage.

This one is also a nose wrecker. Full of delicious hop goodness in the nose. Even with allergies, this one takes my nose and squeezes all aromas into its cilia. Piney and citrusy and delicious. There is also a nice bit of maltiness to back up the hoppiness, and some sweet alcohol presents itself nicely as well. Smells extremely fresh, like fresh hop cones.

Killer flavor as well. Very well balanced. I generally like beers that lean more toward hoppy than malty (balanced) but this one seems to marry the two quite well. There is still a prevailing hop bitterness and flavor, but the malt and alcohol combat that nicely and offer a semi balanced beer. ( As the beer warms slightly, the balance leaves the table and Mr. hoppy takes his rightful seat at the head). Quite bitter, very tasty.

The hops linger for a long time on the palate, and as this one warms, the hops slaps the palate and call it it's bitch. Very long, bitter finish with just the right amount of oiliness and lemon rind.

A bitter beer for sure, and a delicious one. As balanced as an overly hoppy beer can be for sure. The bitterness will certainly drive some away, but I dig it man. A great beer!

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Aroma: Big citrus, lemon rind, and grapefruit nose. A little bit of peppery spiciness which I think is due to the alcohol tickles the nostrils. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Very clear amber pour with a thick and sudsy white head that retains well.

Flavor: More of the same...lots of bitter grapefruit, lemon rind, and pine tar-like flavors assault the palate. A touch of caramel sweetness in the background that is quickly beaten down by the hop flavors. Balance is decidedly bitter. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with lively moderate carbonation. A little bit of prickly astringency that kind of caves the back of my tongue in a pleasant hop assault.

Overall impression: Not sure my palate is "wrecked" but it's been taken behind the woodshed and it's been shown who's the boss. The alcohol is a touch on the hot side but I wouldn't want to age it for fear of the hops fading. Well done!

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

a - poured a two-fingers thick light tan head into a snifter that left great lacing and sheeting throughout that billows really well. the body is a bright copper color.
s - big fruity hops like grapefruits and oranges.
t - grapefruit with some nice toffee balance.
m - creamy, medium thickness.
o - palate wrecker indeed. thank you, sir, may i have another?

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

I've been craving some West Coast hops, here we go...amber glowing copper body with a big billowing off white head, leaves fine speckled lacing. Aroma earthy, citrus grapefruit layers of hops, dank mary jane, you name a hop character or aroma and I'm sure you can find it in this beer. The one characteristic that reigns supreme in this beer is the grapefruit pith it just flows out of the glass, flavor wise it borders as a barleywine big assertive alcohol with malts wrapped around it. Gotta love the West Coast hops, more waves of bitterness and hop flavors including more grapefruit bombs, earthy dirt, and again marijuana. Evident sticky hop oils on the palate yet lighter bodied than most DIPA/B wines out there they kept the palate surprisingly clean for this type of a beer, moderate carbonation works with this type of beer excellent feel to it. Overall I'm impressed I had it on draft a couple years back at a Penn Fest and it blew my mind, I'm not saying I have the same feeling as I did then but it's damn good.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Best By: 06/03/14

A: In a tulip glass the beer poured a dense off-white/yellowish head with mixed bubbles and great retention. As the foam fell into the clear, dark orange liquid, it left a thick coat of lacing on the edge. When agitated the foam would kick up more, no noticeable legs, but the foam might be getting in the way.

S: Big aroma on this just the way I like my IPAs. Dank, reisonous, and pine hop aroma that seem very developed and refined. Slight sweet-tarts like aroma, with a tiny bit of toast malt coming through.

T: Blam! Hope this was the last beer you wanted to drink. Huge bitterness that smacks you in the taste buds and doesn’t let up as you keep sipping. Same reisonous, pine and dank hop flavors coming through. Some tropical fruit flavors coming through also. Very much reminds me of DFH 90 minute but with a different hop variety. In the aftertaste there is some lingering toasty malt flavors but otherwise this beer is all hops.

M: Sticky icky mouthfeel all over the tongues. Low to medium carbonation with a medium body. The hop oils left on the pallet truly do wreck anything else you try to consume afterwards.

O: It lives up to its name. Not something I would drink on a regular basis but a one and done kind of beer. Very tasty and packed full of hop goodness.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a big snifter glass.

A very nice smell emanates as soon as i pop open the cap.

Color is standard amber or golden pale. A one finger thick head that recedes slowly and stays well. Excellent lacing and stickiness. A good amount of bubbles seen rising up. Very clear.

Aroma is a winner here. A lot of citrus hops. A good amount of herbal and flower nose. Strength of aroma is good to strong. Fills the nose very quickly and can be smelled from a distance. Very typical usage of citrus hops. A decent of sweetness imparted by malts as well.

I was expecting a palate wrecking flavor. But it fails to do anything that serious with my palate. Bitter it is, but not one of the most bitter ales that i have had. A mix of bitter sweet malty taste that ends with a palate full of bitterness. Front and middle could have been more hoppy. Bitterness grows on you as you keep drinking it. Some resin like character and a good amount of herbal and flowery taste. Some sweet grapefruit like taste as well. Finish of course is dry and bitter. Front part of the tongue is senseless as i finish this beer. This is not just due to the beer itself but a few of the precursors as well.

A nice oily and resiny feel that is very welcome in a IPA. Medium body. Slick and smooth. Almost light. Moderate to slightly high carbonation. Astringency, yes it has a lot of bitterness but no alcohol whatsoever. Goes down really easily for a 9.5%.

Well it just about manages to deliver on expectations. It is strong, powerful and bitter but as easily drinkable. Do not drink other brews for some time after having this. A winner.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

Umm, wow. Pours hazy orange-gold with an impressive short-but-thick white head. Colossal citrus/floral hop aroma. Grapefruit and pine oil just pound you in the face. The taste surpasses the nose. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and truckloads of resin. A tad more citrus than earthy pine, but who cares. Just a little caramel malt to give it a hint of sweetness. I really have to thank the Green Flash guys for not making the chronic mistake of putting too much malt in and making this a sour-candy DIPA. Its nearly perfect the way it is.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light auburn/dark gold color with thick off white head that reduces with thick lacing, and great clarity; citrus and fresh cut grass notes; malt balances nicely with bitter grass and Myers lemon flavors, a little alcohol on the exhale-nice; bitter(in a good way) tongue coating with citrus and hop finish; overall a great example of the "west coast" style, bigger IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

Green Flash Palate Wrecker.

Well, It's safe to say I haven't had my palate wrecked in quite some time so let's hope this one can live up to its promise of doing just that. I better taste hops for a week straight after this one!.

Look - Crystal clear amber with a finger and a half of off-white head that looks like it's gonna stick around and serve out its contract unlike Bergdahl or whatever the fuck his name was. Carbonation appears to be medium with this one. Not much is left in terms of lacing and the head kept to its promise. 4.25.

Smell - I'm picking up a lotttt of malt and a lotttttt more Simcoe in this one. Generally Simcoe hops are my least favorite so I kinda hope this isn't a sign of things to come...3.

Taste - This one is very, very sticky and very very sweet. The malts are dominant in the profile with the simcoe hops making a sure appearance. The alcohol is present as well. I don't see a palate wreck in terms of flavor overload as much as it would ve in terms of sweetness overload. Hoping more develops as it warms. While I may not be the biggest fan of malty simcoe bombs, this one is easily the most pleasant and drinkable in that area. Now that the beer has hit optimal temperature, it has gotten better. Flavor profile doesn't change much, but holy fuck is this thing sweet. Did they put a jar of honey in this thing? It's doing everything Hopslam did, but far better. The sweetness is pleasant even though it sounds like I am bitching. The high IBU level isn't very clear due to the sticky sweetness of this beer. This beer is nearly perfectly balanced to be completely honest. 5

Feel - Medium and very sticky bodied with moderate carbonation. This one hangs around in your mouth in a good way, but by comparison kinda like that hot ex of yours who just couldn't get over the great sex. After coming close to finishing thus beer it is no wonder they call it palate wrecker..the sweet factor sticks around forever pleasantly coating the mouth and numbing the tongue. 5.

Overall - The nose had me a bit worried but this is pretty much thr definition of how to do a proper malt bomb and other breweries need to take notice or forever make shitty malt bombs. So far Green Flash has been pretty impressive. If I have to complain, it could have done with more juicyness. Otherwise, they hit the mark. I can feel myself slipping slowly off into drunky land as I finish this review out. After talking it out with myself for 10 minutes, this is a fantastic beer unlike any DIPA I have ever had. And that isn't even it doing the talking, simply the truth..I swear it isn't holding an explosive hop to my head saying buy more!..Send help!. 5

UPDATE AS OF 9/8/15. Had more of it. This stuff is just simply amazing. changing scores to reflect it.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Palate Wrecker certainly lives up to its namesake! Let's start with the color - it's a murky, yet sediment-free burnt orange, with a billowy cap of white suds. It looks rich and full of flavor... almost overflowing with it. The aroma is very bright and bursting with fruit esters - kiwi, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, and a little dash of brown sugar. Getting to the actual flavor - it's got a good amount of malt sweetness that I did not expect, and the hop aspects start off with that grapefruit juiciness, then it evolves to"resinous," to a final super piny, drying bitterness. I welcome the harshness of the finish. It's amazing how one beverage goes from juicyfruit to such a sharp dryness. I love it. It's a heavy beer too, beware. I will absolutely be buying this masterpiece again!

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into Chimay glass. The appearance is a deep clear gold with 2 fingers of dense white head, heavy lacing left behind, terrific head retention. This looks picture perfect for a DIPA. The aroma has aromatic dry hopped goodness all over it. Bright tropical notes are balanced by deep notes of resinous pine with some grapefruit in there as well. Malts are present on the nose in the form of sweet caramel, bread, and graham cracker. The taste is big and bold with hops from beginning to end. The malts are present up front with mellow bready sweetness, dank hops quickly take hold as this thing is a hop monster. The deep bitterness of the pine is brightened up by some tropical fruit. The body is big and the carbonation is moderate to high. Overall, this beer has a truly impressive hop bill. The aromatic hops and the bittering hops are balanced beautifully and there is a nice sturdy malt backbone which holds everything up. This brew is fantastic, a definite must try.

Green Flash Palate Wrecker from Green Flash Brewing Co.