Hop Odyssey: 30th Street Pale Ale - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Hop Odyssey: 30th Street Pale AleHop Odyssey: 30th Street Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: MiScusi on 01-13-2009

Hop-forward and San Diego brewery inspired, this Pale Ale pays homage to San Diego’s craft beer corridor—30th St.® Uniquely floral and fruity notes from Warrior, Cascade and El Dorado Hops mingle with a hint of crystal malt, to build the flavors presented in our legendary American Pale Ale. Well-bittered and dry-hopped, this longtime neighborhood favorite is bold enough to suit the discerning palates of hop heads in the land of sunshine and the best IPA.
1.44/5  rDev -63.1%

So happy that I can buy Green Flash now without trading for it; just picked up this & Road Warrior, & my wife just finished the four-pack of Double Stout last night. This is a 22 oz. bomber split with aforementioned female.

Pour is a pale orange, fairly low carbonation, unclear. The nose is tickling my memory in the wrong place because I can't quite ID the smell: Walgreen's Grapefruit Anti-Bacterial Foaming Hand Soap? Slightly medicinal as well. A very worn welcome mat.

30th Street Pale Ale baffles. In purely beery terms, this brew is dominated by the pale malts. The hop profile is downright strange. There's a sickly pine that's streaked through by a knuckle-rapping-nun of bitterness. The soapiness in the nose jumps the mid-palate with predictable, less-than-pleasing results, & just wipes out the rest of any other taste. And it sticks. Like Gorilla Glue. Really, after it warms up & I drink 2-3 ounces, nothing else matters.

I'm having flashbacks of calling my mother a jackass & standing over the toilet with Dawn Detergent in my mouth (back when that wasn't considered abuse). I need neither the memory, the aftertaste, nor this beer. What went wrong? Abysmal; not anything I'd have expected from a wonderful brewery. (1,237 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Extremely unimpressive,this is the last green flash product I'll ever buy.ive given them plenty of chances but other than palate wrecker and green bullet every other beer they make and try to come out with is just not worth my liver or my money.i highly suggest others do the same.extremely over rated brewery. (310 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

On tap in a pint glass at Lucky's in Dayton on 8/11/12

Cloudy orange and amber. One finger head takes a long time to dissipate and leaves thick patches of lace.

Dry, spicy citrus aroma - tangerine, orange, pineapple. Hints of grass. Sweet like sugar beets and grapefruit as it warms. Sweet cracker. The taste is prickly and roughish. Herbal toughness with citrus zest and grassiness. Sharp grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Some toasted grains, but not too much malt though. Medium body with fluffy, mildly pointed carbonation. Dry finish. Bitterness grows on the finish and becomes harsh.

Overall, this is not a terrible beer, but I like my pale ales to be smoother than this. (684 characters)

Solid pale ale easy to drink nice smell and flavor great summer beer green flash did a solid job with this beer pours clear and smells really good definitely worth a try (169 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served on-draught at Green Flash. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half finger beige colour head, thin, of little cream, and of poor retention. Body is a clear copper colour. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Floral hops, pale malts, and lots of citrus. An average strength aroma.

T: Floral hops, pale malts. Good body. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Simple and boring but clean and refreshing. There's not a lot to say about it; it's rather simple.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A touch too thick. Dry on the finish. Decent but not tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: A drinkable pale that lacks complexity and subtlety. About what I expect from Green Flash. Still, it's above average and I might buy a cheap 6er of it. Meh.

C+ (752 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Overall this was a bit of a disappointment but I'm glad I got to try it.

It feels to me like it's trying to be GreenFlash's take on something like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale - it just doesn't quite hit the mark. The hops were more muted than expected, but the bright side is the malt wasn't overpowering by contrast. (316 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -16.9%

Like all the green flash beers I've tried, quite bitter. Plus, tastes distinctly of licorice, which is NOT appealing. Beautiful appearance- bright, clear gold with a solid, white, lacy head. Low hop aroma. Mouthfeel suggests the exact abv (6%). Flavor is average apa, below average ipa, until the licorice shows up (from the el dorado hops???). Then it's tough to drink--like Gubna from the summit hops and the horrid onion flavor.

Very interesting beer, but not terribly appealing unless you're a fan of horhounds or fennel. (536 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a hop-filled amber color with a slightly golden hue. Slightly brown as well. Clumpy froth and less than impressive lacing.

Smell - Quite a grassy and hoppy smell. Smells quite yeast-like.

Taste - Not a very strong pale ale, but it is definitely different. Sweet malts that are very caramelized. A smooth oatsy taste. A slight toasted note as well.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Very light bodied and frothy in the mouth. Leaves a slight tingling feeling on my lips. This beer was pretty decent and different-tasting then any pale ale I've ever had before. (574 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

On tap at Bodega on 12/26/11.

Served in a shaker pint.

Short creamy white head. Nice shiny bronze color. Provides an excellent wall of total lace.

The aroma is full of bright citrus - orange and sweet grapefruit.

The taste is also quite fruity. Citrusy grapefruit and bitter orange pith. There are also some spicy/peppery notes in there. I found this to be a bit boozy too - which was odd and unwelcome in the style (especially at a mere 6%).

Lingering bitterness and a slight numbing effect from the hops comes into play mid-glass. The spiciness coupled with the alcohol winds up being distracting and bothersome.

This started out being a great pale, but it winds up harsh and a chore to finish. (702 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear copper-gold color with about 1/2 inch of white head that had moderate retention and light lacing.

The aroma had a nice malt base, then just hit you with the hops, citrus and floral mostly, with just a barely-there wisp of pine. On the tongue, the pine was more noticeable on the back, there seemed to be a slight bit of fruitiness,and those citrus hops dominated. If the brewery had labeled thin an IPA it would have gotten much higher score in these categories.

The body was thick for a Pale, but just right for an IPA. Drinkability was very good, I'll be helping to kill the keg over the next couple of days. Overall, a very good brew. Approach it as an IPA and you'll be even more happy with it. (753 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear light orange, huge creamy white head, settles to a half inch and leaves rings of lace down the glass. Smell: weedy, grapefruit peel, unripe mango (meh). Taste: oily hop mess all over a light biscuit and apricot backing. Sip starts out ok with apricot, grapefruit, and a tropical note -- but quickly goes off the rails, becoming intensely bitter and finishing thin, oily, and with unexpected alcohol. Not terrible, but wasn't worth a try. Worst thing I've had from Green Flash by far. (497 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper color. The head is two fingers high, with an off-white shade. It retains quite well, with a soapy texture that leaves a ton of lacing on the glass.

S: I'm getting a decent amount of hops - mostly floral, with citrusy hints. Letting it warm up will cause orange peel notes to come out more. It's also surprisingly malty. I'm getting some caramel, toffee, and nuts in particular. I mean, it's hard to blow me away with a simple pale ale - and this doesn't - but it does smell like it will be very solid.

T: I'm actually getting more malts than hops. The hop profile seems to exist mainly as a floral hop bitterness on the back end, with the malt backbone providing the flavor. I'm getting a lot of caramel, toffee, and nuts; I'm even getting some grapey esters from time to time. Orange peel flavors appear after warming up some: the more this one warms up, the more orange peel I'm getting. All in all, a decent pale ale, no more, no less. If the crystal malts weren't so obstructive, this one would have been really good.

M: A bit heavy-feeling for a pale ale. Maybe even a bit overly sweet. Still, it goes down reasonably well. I wanted it to be effortless, but it's not exactly a chore, either. Carbonation is medium.

O: Not bad. In particular, the orange peel character is nice. Still, this suffers from something a LOT of modern pale ales/IPAs do: too much crystal malt. It doesn't completely ruin this one, but it does prevent a pretty good pale ale from being a really good one. Worth trying, but I doubt I'll be buying it again. (1,596 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash's 30th Street Pale Ale last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Pale Ale tonight and I thought i would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. Best by December 19th 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, the design is a pretty plaint and it isn't too eye catching. IT poured an amber orange color that took on more of an orange color when held to the light with a finger and half of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of floral and green hop aromas with no aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's a little bit of fruity hop aroma in the background. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that goes into the malts which impart some sweet malt and pale malt like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, it had some nice balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but time it's the green hops that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that goes into the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single one seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of sweetness with a hoppy aftertaste. This is a decent tasting Pale Ale, but there was a little bit too much green hop flavors for me.

M_ Fairly smooth, very crisp, a little prickly, medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but it could use a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it had most of the things that I look for in the style, but when it came down to it the green hops and carbonation made it rough around the edges. This beer had ok drinkability, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance, it's a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints. What I like the least about this beer is the green hop flavors and higher carbonation, those aspects need some work. I don't think I would buy tjos beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I thought this beer was going in the right direction, but it had some things that needed some work and that just held it back so me. It's not a favorite Green Flash beer and it's pretty average for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little work. (2,893 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Fresh Craft, I was surprised to see it and knew I better order it because I don't think it is bottled. Light yellow orange color, good head. Smells like lemon oil to me, citrus hops. Taste is hoppy and yet is unmistakeable as a pale ale, the slight biscuit flavor from the malt lets me know. I liked this and it was clearly differentiated from an IPA to my taste buds.

Update 6/2014 bottle weird taste lemons, bread, minerals, meh (441 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a finger and half of head on a hazy dark straw body.
The aroma is a nice mango, pineapple and lemon blend.
The taste has a moderate pine bitterness throughout with a long dry bitter finish.
The texture is thicker but crisp.
It looks great, the smell is nice, the taste is fine. (283 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

On tap at Green Flash taproom 12/30/12.

Sits a pale gold, sparkly and clear in the glass. Good amount of head laces well as you drink. Light barley aroma, there but not overpowering. Sweet, floral hops. Bitterness starts and ends the flavor category. Bitter, salted caramel, semi sweet hops, piney and bitter flavor lingers. Very well balanced initially, the bitterness wears on me after a half pint.

This reminded me of the Drifter Pale Ale with its bright hop characteristics, but it proved to be much more bitter. The bitterness snuck up on me. I like the piney flavor and the aroma proves the beer to be more complex than most Pale Ales. (644 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured on-tap at Green Flash Brewing in San Diego, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Half finger white head. Low retention. Some frilly lacing. Pale orange-gold color with nice clarity.

S- Smells like an English-style Pale Ale. Subdued and lighter with sweet malts.

T- Very hop heavy. Bitter taste with a sweet, crisp finish.

M- Smooth and light.

O- This is an alright Pale Ale, but I might avoid it unless I was looking for a sweeter hop-bomb. (446 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A shade darker than amber. Not much head or lacing. Decent hoppy aroma. Some richness with browned biscuit flavor. A fair amount of malt.

Main flavor is the resiny hop. Thin body, quite sharp. Bitter aftertaste and dark vegetal flavor in the back of the mouth. Pleasant with food. We had a couple with clams and coleslaw at El Take it Easy on 30th Street in San Diego. Quite drinkable if you're a fan of Pale Ales. Seemed clean and crisp, just very hoppy.

08-07-2012: Had a pint at Leroy's in Coronado, and it is a rich mouthful. Sharp and spritzy on the tongue. There is a big malt flavor with lots of the browned biscuit taste, but the body is a little thin. Watery and bitter, but blessed with some mellow, sweet graininess. Better than the Park West Porter. (763 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a rich golden color with good carbonation and a nice white cap

S: A good amount of citrus and the bitterness is noticable from a first whiff

T: Citrus and floral notes, perhaps a hint of bread, light bite, light booze sting. Pretty straightforward.

M: I actually thought the body was sordove thin and lacking, seemed to be overrun by hops

O: Pretty good and a worth a try but I wont be going back to it. (417 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Toronado SD - review from notes
Appears cloudy apricot in color. Very little head - just a small skim. Slight lacing.
Smells of bitter hops, some malt sweetness, grapefruit.
Sweet malt and lots of slightly bitter hops.
Light to medium in body fairly highly charged carbonation
A bit bitter for me as a pale ale but if you like extreme hops then this is for you. (371 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Outstanding example of American pale style. Mouth feel found in much larger beers. Very good head retention and lace as the glass level lowers. Nice clean citrus on both the nose and the palette. This is a session Beer for which sessions are intended. (251 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a Green Flash fan (I think Palate Wrecker is amazing), I sought this because I had heard that it was more of an IPA than an APA, and I do like my hops. Well, it turned out to be neither a great IPA or APA. There are aromas in the nose and flavors on the tongue consistent with an IPA, particularly citrus flavors, but aside from general bitterness, this thing was disappointment and really "bland"--a word I never thought I'd use in a Green Flash review. It doesn't have the overly sweet caramel malt that turns me off from some APAs, but this just doesn't have much going on. The bartender tried to warn me.... (614 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Far from my favorite Green Flash beer. It's hoppy enough, but too thin and just a bit too sweet. Both of those elements clash with the hops- the thinness can't support the bitterness and the sweetness clashes with rather than supports the hop bitterness. The overall effect is a bit watery and bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Mind you, it's not terrible by any means, just not my cup of tea. (391 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tastes almost like a DIPA.. Poured out a golden or dark yellow color with a long lasting head.. Good lacing and a fruity, floral, hoppy taste.. A good beer (155 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a burnt orange with a subtle haze; fluffy eggshell white head that leaves great lacing. The aromas are pretty floral. Flowers and subtle pine. Some bread and crackers. Some caramel malts in the mix. The flavors are very earthy. Lots of grass and more fresh pine. Very floral mixed with some citrus notes. Lots of grapefruit. Nice balance between malts and hops. Slightly spicy with maybe some rye or black pepper in the mix. Mouthfeel is great. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and it's ultimately refreshing.

I like this. It's not a flashy beer, but it's well crafted and fun to drink. Definitely stays true to style. Clean brew. Very refreshing and perfect for the summer. (760 characters)

Hop Odyssey: 30th Street Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.