Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Bourbon barrel aged

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010)
2.5/5  rDev -42.9%

2.75/5  rDev -37.2%

2.75/5  rDev -37.2%

3.28/5  rDev -25.1%

Received from injuredreserve in an overly generous trade, thanks! I gotta preface this by saying that I have recently cracked into my BA stout collection and can't help but compare this with 07 BA Yeti, BA SC, etc...and this just doesn't hold - up but here we go.

Pours a super dark brown with an unfortunately large head that seemed unnecessary due to my soft pour to begin with...annoying. Nose is good with chocolate dominating the overall bouquet and soft fig notes rounding it out. For me, the flavor totally disapoints. I get burnt malt and a fairly sharp hop finish top this that isn't to my taste at all. Very little else to the flavor of this beer. Mouthfeel is even worse with sharp carbonation and little creaminess. All that being said it is decent enough to drink. I have another one that I may set aside for awhile to see if it changes but I'm not impressed.

3.36/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into block 15 snifter. Bottled 12/10/12. Thanks again Pidzick12!

A: Pours black with a huge, very dense, and very dark brown head that filled up the rest of the glass. Head took its time to fade into a wispy collar that left soapy spotty lace down the glass.
S: Nose is full of dark chocolate, peat, and a bit of char, but I'm also getting a few notes of soy sauce. Bourbon barrel is present but very mellow at this point. I get a few hints of sweet toasted marshmallow as well.
T: Bourbon is more prominent than the nose, but it is still very very mellow. Soy sauce oxidization is up front and noticeable, but it doesn't ruin the beer. Bourbon is sweet and lighty spicy, and I get notes of earthy peat and slight char as well. Leather and caramel bring up the finish, and the aftertaste is bitter and lingering.
M: Fuzzy carbonation, sweet, bitter, slightly sharp mouthfeel, medium-full body.
O: I never had this fresh but I've wanted to try it for a long time. While oxidization is present, this beer is still very flavorful and drinkable. Thanks again, Paul!

3.43/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a true black with a big fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves a coating. I'm getting candy sugar, roasted malts, vanilla, marshmallow, bourbon, and etoh; but all just hints. Earlier in the pour there were hints of metal that made it unpleasant, but improved dramatically as it warmed. Taste starts with moderately burnt dark roasted malts, followed by marshmallow, vanilla, and hints of tobacco and leather, and finishes quick and hot. Medium bodied and and the etoh has a lasting warming impact. Drinkability is average due to the heat and over-carbonation. Overall, glad I got to try it, and all the pieces are there for what I really love in a ba impy stout, but the mf and burnt flavors just didn't do it for me. I'm gonna remember vanilla mixed with heat.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.