Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010

Bourbon barrel aged

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Low head develops when I pour the full bottle into my Half Acre Tulip glass, can you tell I love this sumbitch? The lacing on it is sticky, not completely full but enough to make me appreciate it. Dark mocha color, inky dark stout. Almost imperceptible crimson tones make me love the jet black nature. Low carbonation visibility, but you can see from the top it doesn't have too much to offer to the green house gases of my apartment. A light pond scum is what the head results in after a few minutes with a puffy parka collar.

S- Oh lordy, lordy, lord. You have my entire attention with the first waft. A delicious bourbon sweetness and astringency. Maple, chocolate, sweet milk chocolate that can't be anything but it, brown sugar, cereal box cardboard Its delicious, amazing, and strong. What could be dark fruits hide in the mixture.

T- Instantly milk chocolate, dark fruit, maple syrup, dark fruits again but sweeter. At first was dates, then it became cherries. Whats that? No.. wait... yes... no.. CHERRIES! Fuhhh this is so complex and delicious. I'm in love with this beer. Whatever it is, I want a case of it. No joke.

Finishes delightfully light bitter burnt grain and tad roasted.

The bourbon gives it that sweetness right off the bat. The maple syrup, a brown sugar and molasses syrup. The finish is where the heat and astringency of bourbon come through. It isn't the best bourbon in the world, but damn if I can't love it for what it did to this stout. There is a coffee roast right in the beginning. Not roasted grain, but seemingly medium-quality coffee. Not the best espresso or quality, but good enough that I'm dying to just drink, drink, drink! Call me an alcoholic.... no, go ahead. I don't give a damn. This is my demise if I could get this in unlimited supply.

M- Creamy, velvety smooth, alcoholic burn right as you begin to love the sweetness a bit too much. It makes you drink it down or fear a biting slap stab. A flying side kick of ethanol... minus the knock out. Lingers... lingers... love that linger.

This.. beer... is... Awesome! Bourbon stout that you can't go wrong with.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Jet black appearance, dense cocoa colored head, splotchy lacing, opaque

S - Vanilla, fudge brownies, oak, coconut, dark cherries, caramel and toffee.

T - Dry cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and some fresh oak. Black coffee. Hints of bourbon and coconut.

M - Velvety smooth, but not thick like more imperial stouts, more medium bodied with slightly higher carbonation then expected.

O - This is a great stout for sure. Glad I traded for this one.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Ok, my mind has been blown by this one. I love stouts, but to be honest, I've had alot of letdowns when it comes to BBA stouts. I've also found some that I really love, but this one is perfect for me. I'm not saying I'll never come across one better than this, but wow. I've been lucky enough to have this on-tap during Cleveland Beer Week, and didn't think I'd ever see a bottle on shelves.. lucky me.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black, nice 1 inch mocha head. Beautiful wicked lacing and retention, I'm talkin beautiful lacing and retention. Smells like tons of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon. Smells like a double chocolate cookie. All of that can be found in the flavors as well. The bourbon is blended harmoniously. There's a nice sweetness, but far from cloyingly sweet. Not bitter. Chocolate and coffee/expresso dominate. Every once in awhile I catch a blast of vanilla. Oak/wood is there, but not dominant. There's also a touch of caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is perfect. It's not milkshake thick, but thick enough. Perfectly carbonated, so damn smooth. This beer can be dangerously drinkable, because it's so good you'd never want to stop. Such a treat, very complex. Aromas and flavors are extremely bold. This is the REAL deal.

I'm confident this is the best stout I've ever had, to date. World class, phenomenal.

4.38/5  rDev 0%

A: This poured a nearly opaque black with a little tan head.
S: It smelled like strong fresh oak and toasted coconut and rich milk chocolate, with a little brown sugar and roasted coffee and vanilla.
T: It tasted like dark chocolate and roasted coffee and lots of coconut, with some toasted oak and vanilla and brown sugar. It had a sweet and clean aftertaste.
M: It was thick with a bit of carbonation. Very full body.
D: This was a fantastic bourbon stout. It had great scent and taste, with excellent body and well hidden alcohol, so it was easy to drink. It had tons of bourbon and coconut character, which was enjoyable but not quite my ideal drink. I'm not sure how age would affect this one, but I would recommend trying it at any age if you can find it.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Deep brown body, verging on solid black. Thin khaki cap. Spotty lacing. Bubbly collar.

S: Bourbon, warmed chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of oak.

T: Bourbon dominates the taste upfront as roasted malts, a little coffee, and chocolate round out the flavor profile.

M: A nice even weight throughout. Gentle, but adequate carbonation. Light bitterness in the finish.

O: A decent bourbon barrel aged stout -- nice to see it in the more friendly 12oz format.

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Was very, very pleased with this one. Thank you Green Flash!

A: The brew produced a single fingered, tan colored head that exhibited decent retention and lacing. The beer itself is deep brown only allowing some light to pass through the edges.

S: Definitely bourbon barrel aged! Vanilla and cocoa nibs follow and accompany the bourbon beautifully.

T: Follows the scent perfectly. I love bourbon in my stouts, especially when its balanced like this.

M: Thinner than expected, could have had slightly higher carbonation.

O: Not without its flaws, but that flavor is one of the best I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.