Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010

Bourbon barrel aged
Ratings: 963 | Reviews: 252
4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a large 1+ finger head with large bubbles at the edges and a light chocolate powder dusting in the middle.

S: Aroma of deep bakers chocolate, melted Cadbury eggs, roasted malt, sweet bourbon and oak , roasted malts and vanilla. This is one of the better bourbon barrel aged Imperial stouts I have smelled.

T: Taste is slightly more bitter than I had expected on the first sip, deep robust chocolate malt. Definitely a rich bourbon booze presence, rich bakers chocolate, sweet malt, nice smooth and well rounded and creamy. Slightly more bitter than I picked up in the aroma, and a little bit of a charred espresso finish. Cherry and dark fruit flavors mixing with the oak barrel and bourbon flavors.

M: Medium body with a mild carbonation.

O: A solid offering from Green Flash. Mostly well rounded, a little more roast and ash flavors than I prefer, but the nose was fantastic and one of the best I have smelled. Good stuff

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Bill for trading me this one...

A. Pours a rich, dark black/brown. Half finger of swirly, somewhat uniform light brown head. Lacing is pretty spotty.

S. I have always enjoyed stouts that have a dark fruit quality, and Silva Stout is very strong in this regard. The nose yields so much cherry juice, ripe fig, some strawberry, brownie batter, oak, vanilla, and caramel. A wonderfully complex and savory bouquet.

T. Very sweet bourbon, ripe dark cherry, lots of vanilla, and some chocolate and oak char. A lot thinner and sweeter than the nose suggested. Very bourbon forward, with subtle, sweet fruit notes and and coffee-like finish.

M. Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little thin and sweet, but maintains a solid creaminess overall.

O. A solid bourbon barrel stout that is greater than the sum of its parts, I think. Taste and feel are a little thin and sweet, the barrel overwhelming the base beer to some extent. But the nose on this is excellent and, as bourbon barrel stouts go, this is one of the better ones I have experienced.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a nice black with a huge 3" tan head. Big pockets of lacing clump to the glass.

S- Nice chocolate and vanilla notes, some dark fruits, bourbon not very noticeable on the nose.

T- Sweet chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, some vanilla and bourbon linger at the finish.

M- Full body, medium carbonation. Creamy feel hides the abv very well.

O- Good BA stout but doesn't stand out compared to other really good BA stouts. Wish the taste followed the great aromas of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

A-Deep black, one finger brown creamy head that leaves behind some lacing

S-Bourbon and coffee dominate, roasted malt.

T-Bourbon, oak, chocolate, slight coffee that becomes more pronounced as it warms, hints of vanilla and some bitterness.

M-Creamy, not much carbonation, not much carbonation, smooth

O-Thrown in as an extra by a great trading partner. We all thought it was a solid beer and were left wondering how it was fresh.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Review #400! Long time want of mine -- thanks to sleepyhead for the trade. Shared with two great BAs.

Great head & lace retention. Very roasty, caramely aroma; no coconut as other reviews have suggested. Flavor profile is quite dark and roasty. Lots of chocolate and bourbon, yet it feels somewhat one-dimensional and almost boring. Ethan said the last bottle he had was more complex & coconut-y; this is a little disappointing though.

Still glad to finally tick one of my longest-standing wants. Wish I'd gotten to try it fresh.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

It's been a while since I've reviewed for the heck of it - might as well give it another shot...

2010 12 oz bottle, poured into a Bruery tulip at cellar temp.

A - Looks pretty good - the requisite black is here for sure, and the dark head hangs around for several minutes. Perhaps slightly too much carbonation showing, but no judgements yet.

S - Plenty of barrel coming through, along with what must have been a very roasty base beer. The effect is more bitterness than booze, and this skews the effect towards harshness.

T&M - Harsh is right - hard to say if it is from the carbonation, the roast malts, or the oak, but there is a definite astringency present. I can tell there is a thick stout under it all, but something is overwhelming that. The depth and character I like in a barrel aged stout isn't here.

O - Not bad, but not one of the best. Just a little too much puckering harshness throughout to bring it from good to great.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle from Shane. Thanks! Been sitting in my cellar for over a year.

Appearance is a thick black with a nice mocha head which settles down into thin lacing.

Aroma is bursting with the bourbon. Honey, caramel, chocolate.

Taste isn’t nearly so powerful with bourbon. Medium sweetness from the chocolate, but there’s a hint of tinniness. Some fading alcohol. I may have sat on this one too long, because it was fantastic fresh.

Mouthfeel is still quite good, though. Coats the palate well.

Overall, this is still good, but if you’ve got any, I’d suggest drinking them because I believe it's in a decline. Sad, because I've rated this a 4.5 when fresh.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle to snifter.

A - Pours jet black with an inch of thin mocha head that dissipates rather quickly.. Lots of active bubbles rushing up to the surface.

S - Sweet milk chocolate, marshmallow, slight bourbon, a hint of oak, cocoa powder. Really great smelling beer.

T - Wow... I could sip on this all day. Semi sweet chocolate right up front, with some barrel coming through adding a slight touch of vanilla. Reminds me of hot chocolate. A hint of bourbon comes through midway, but is immediately overtaken by a roastiness and ends on a big amount of bittersweet cocoa.

M - A bit too thin for my tastes. Silva doesn't coat my mouth enough as I'd like. Still, carbonation is decent, and on the medium side of lighter bodied.

O - A very good BA stout. Barrel characteristics shine through perfectly, which makes it taste like alcoholic hot chocolate.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

I've been sitting on a few bottles of this for awhile now. Had one when I first got them. Now sharing this 12 oz bottle with my bf.

A- Body is a thick dark brown, nearly black hue. Pours with a small 1/2 finger head or so which quickly fades to a thin collar some traces of lacing are left behind in the glass.

S- Bourbon, Milk Chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol, cocoa powder, oak barrel.

T- Flavor is very similar to the smell. Notes of bourbon and cocoa powder upfront with a moderate oak barrel backbone. The finish is mostly bourbon barrel-with a moderate to sharp alcohol astringency. Left to linger is a moderate alcohol astringency and hints of cocoa.

M- Moderate to heavy weight body and low to medium carbonation. Body has low viscosity for the style and some alcohol and cocoa powder consistency.

O- Overall this is a decent Bourbon barrel stout-the time in my cellar hasn't really made a difference in the quality of the beer. The balance is slightly on the side of the bourbon barrel and the chocolate base is more of a milk chocolate or cocoa powder than a dark chocolate.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle split with, and courtesy of madtowndmb1. Thank you very much Kyle!

Pours a dark black with little retention. Lacing is absent but the big body lends a serious primer that adheres to the glass throughout. Sort of a mean looking like monster.

Huge chocolate cake batter on the nose. Touch of decadent dark sugary chocolate icing, and caramel addled bourbon. This smells really nice and my big beak enjoyed taking it in.

Kyle states that the beer is reminiscent of a big mug of hot chocolate and marshmallow with a touch of alcohol heat. A hot chocolate hot tottie of sorts. I can dig this comparison. Again, there's a big batter component to the taste and body as well as the smell. Alcohol is warming but nicely masked.

Silva Stout is one of the thickest beers I've come across in many moons. Big and full bodied with light carbonation, this beer drinks like a meal. Sticks with you long after the sip.

Really glad I had the opportunity to try this. Stands out as something unique in a very crowded field.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%

1 year aged Bottle poured into my delirium tulip

Appearance: Pours basically pitch black with a quarter fingers worth of nice brownish/tan head that fades fairly quickly.

Smell: Smells of chocolate. A closer smell reveals the bourbon, but it has definitely mellowed out and blended spectacularly with the vanilla, coffee, and a bit of oak.

Taste: What a balance of the bourbon with complexity from the vanilla, oak, coffee, coconut, dark chocolate, and a small hint of cherry. Very smooth and has balanced out tremendously well. As it warms the bourbon really shines through to the forefront. Don't notice the alcohol at all until the very end after it has warmed. Excellence.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than expected but very nice and smooth. Moderate carbonation with just a slight bit of alcohol at the end. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall: Very good but not quite out of this world. I'd definitely have another, but I don't know that I would go out of my way to find it again. If I happened to come across it while looking for something else I would def grab one though. Still a very nice offering from Green Flash

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at Tony's Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a 1/2 inch puffy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film. Chunky rings of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, vanilla, wood, and bourbon. Taste is of dark roasted malt, cocoa powder, vanilla, oaky wood, and bourbon. There is a nice roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a very nice mouthfeel with a great level of carbonation and a slightly drying quality. Overall, this is a great barrel aged stout that has a wonderful integration of the bourbon barrel with the stout flavors. Very well balanced.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours almost black with no light coming through. There is a finger of fluffy tan head that fades quickly to a ring around the edge of the pour.

Smell: Roasted malt with a strong, sweet chocolate presence. I'm picking up some warm alcohol and bourbon, but the grain is definitely the dominant smell.

Taste: This is a really smooth and well done BA stout, but I feel like it's lacking that wow factor that some of the big boys have. Smooth bourbon and roast. The barrels and roast fill the taste with nice chocolate notes. The finish is sweet and roasty. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side with lots of tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: Quite good but not out of this world. I'd definitely have another, but I don't know that I would go out of my way to trade for it.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Thick, black oily pour with a small head

Smell: Rich chocolate, vanilla caramel, bourbon, brown sugar and oak.

Taste: Tasty, rich sweet chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a bit thin, light carbonation

Drinkability: Very, very tasty, great beer that is well done.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Jet black with a nice tan head. Good retention and some okay lacing.

Nice bourbon nose. Slight alcohol burn atop sweet malts.

Bourbon, coconut, and chocolate with a roasty edge. Some sweet malts. Nice integration of all the favors of the stout and barrel.

Medium to full body. Nice carbonation.

Not as good as I remember from when it was fresh but good nonetheless.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Shared a 12 fl.oz. / 355 ml bottle of this w/ CurtisMcArthur and other BA friends in Nashville, TN. Poured from the White labeled bottle w/ a Neon Green Ring in the background of SILVA STOUT & "Barrel-Aged" written beneath this into a 12oz Tulip Glass. This is a 2010 edition says MattL.

Aroma- The aroma is HUGE in this one! Strongest mixture of booze, coffee, chocolate (dark), hazelnut, and deep malts. Put my nose into this one for ages and can almost smell it to this day!

Appearance- Pours absolutely no head at all. Has the deepest brown, opaque colored body. Definitely has legs when swirling in glass and leaves a few suds behind.

Flavor- Has the richness roasty and malty flavors from the beginning. The next flavor I found was bourbon and slight coffee. Finish with a light bitterness with cocoa mixed in. Aging could have taken out many of the flavors but I still enjoyed greatly!

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Light Carbonation, Top Smoothest brew I've ever had, and then leaves tons of alcohol and roasty strength on the palate (not coffee roast but dark fruits blended with malt).

Overall Impression- Being Barrel Aged, I can see how this one gained its complexity in both the aroma and flavor! Would definitely love to get my hands on more of this. Have any? If you do, I'd enjoy it yourself. I can find my own soon...

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle (2011) into tulip glass. Pours black with a beautiful tan and lasting one-finger head. Aroma of sweet caramel, oak, and roasted nuts. Immediately picks up coffee flavors at the first sip which was a temporary disappointment as the aromatics suggested differently. Bit boozy - the alcohol is clearly not well-hidden. Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation throughout. There is a somewhat bitter back finish. Although, the beer improves with taste as it warmed up a bit. In any case, I did enjoy the beer especially halfway through the end.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Low head develops when I pour the full bottle into my Half Acre Tulip glass, can you tell I love this sumbitch? The lacing on it is sticky, not completely full but enough to make me appreciate it. Dark mocha color, inky dark stout. Almost imperceptible crimson tones make me love the jet black nature. Low carbonation visibility, but you can see from the top it doesn't have too much to offer to the green house gases of my apartment. A light pond scum is what the head results in after a few minutes with a puffy parka collar.

S- Oh lordy, lordy, lord. You have my entire attention with the first waft. A delicious bourbon sweetness and astringency. Maple, chocolate, sweet milk chocolate that can't be anything but it, brown sugar, cereal box cardboard Its delicious, amazing, and strong. What could be dark fruits hide in the mixture.

T- Instantly milk chocolate, dark fruit, maple syrup, dark fruits again but sweeter. At first was dates, then it became cherries. Whats that? No.. wait... yes... no.. CHERRIES! Fuhhh this is so complex and delicious. I'm in love with this beer. Whatever it is, I want a case of it. No joke.

Finishes delightfully light bitter burnt grain and tad roasted.

The bourbon gives it that sweetness right off the bat. The maple syrup, a brown sugar and molasses syrup. The finish is where the heat and astringency of bourbon come through. It isn't the best bourbon in the world, but damn if I can't love it for what it did to this stout. There is a coffee roast right in the beginning. Not roasted grain, but seemingly medium-quality coffee. Not the best espresso or quality, but good enough that I'm dying to just drink, drink, drink! Call me an alcoholic.... no, go ahead. I don't give a damn. This is my demise if I could get this in unlimited supply.

M- Creamy, velvety smooth, alcoholic burn right as you begin to love the sweetness a bit too much. It makes you drink it down or fear a biting slap stab. A flying side kick of ethanol... minus the knock out. Lingers... lingers... love that linger.

This.. beer... is... Awesome! Bourbon stout that you can't go wrong with.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Jet black appearance, dense cocoa colored head, splotchy lacing, opaque

S - Vanilla, fudge brownies, oak, coconut, dark cherries, caramel and toffee.

T - Dry cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and some fresh oak. Black coffee. Hints of bourbon and coconut.

M - Velvety smooth, but not thick like more imperial stouts, more medium bodied with slightly higher carbonation then expected.

O - This is a great stout for sure. Glad I traded for this one.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Ok, my mind has been blown by this one. I love stouts, but to be honest, I've had alot of letdowns when it comes to BBA stouts. I've also found some that I really love, but this one is perfect for me. I'm not saying I'll never come across one better than this, but wow. I've been lucky enough to have this on-tap during Cleveland Beer Week, and didn't think I'd ever see a bottle on shelves.. lucky me.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black, nice 1 inch mocha head. Beautiful wicked lacing and retention, I'm talkin beautiful lacing and retention. Smells like tons of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon. Smells like a double chocolate cookie. All of that can be found in the flavors as well. The bourbon is blended harmoniously. There's a nice sweetness, but far from cloyingly sweet. Not bitter. Chocolate and coffee/expresso dominate. Every once in awhile I catch a blast of vanilla. Oak/wood is there, but not dominant. There's also a touch of caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is perfect. It's not milkshake thick, but thick enough. Perfectly carbonated, so damn smooth. This beer can be dangerously drinkable, because it's so good you'd never want to stop. Such a treat, very complex. Aromas and flavors are extremely bold. This is the REAL deal.

I'm confident this is the best stout I've ever had, to date. World class, phenomenal.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

A: This poured a nearly opaque black with a little tan head.
S: It smelled like strong fresh oak and toasted coconut and rich milk chocolate, with a little brown sugar and roasted coffee and vanilla.
T: It tasted like dark chocolate and roasted coffee and lots of coconut, with some toasted oak and vanilla and brown sugar. It had a sweet and clean aftertaste.
M: It was thick with a bit of carbonation. Very full body.
D: This was a fantastic bourbon stout. It had great scent and taste, with excellent body and well hidden alcohol, so it was easy to drink. It had tons of bourbon and coconut character, which was enjoyable but not quite my ideal drink. I'm not sure how age would affect this one, but I would recommend trying it at any age if you can find it.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Deep brown body, verging on solid black. Thin khaki cap. Spotty lacing. Bubbly collar.

S: Bourbon, warmed chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of oak.

T: Bourbon dominates the taste upfront as roasted malts, a little coffee, and chocolate round out the flavor profile.

M: A nice even weight throughout. Gentle, but adequate carbonation. Light bitterness in the finish.

O: A decent bourbon barrel aged stout -- nice to see it in the more friendly 12oz format.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

Was very, very pleased with this one. Thank you Green Flash!

A: The brew produced a single fingered, tan colored head that exhibited decent retention and lacing. The beer itself is deep brown only allowing some light to pass through the edges.

S: Definitely bourbon barrel aged! Vanilla and cocoa nibs follow and accompany the bourbon beautifully.

T: Follows the scent perfectly. I love bourbon in my stouts, especially when its balanced like this.

M: Thinner than expected, could have had slightly higher carbonation.

O: Not without its flaws, but that flavor is one of the best I've ever had.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown black with a 1 finger mocha head

smell: chocolate, roast, malts, vanilla, bourbon,

taste: bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, roast

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: this beer is delicious. Can't believe how easy it is to drink would not of guessed it to 10%. hope to get a few more bottles.

cheers,
The CPJ

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Another amazing bottle from BA Tieman. Cheers!

A - dark as a black hole with a nice .5 inch of coffee-colored head on top.

S - bourbon dominates, followed by chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, dark fruits. Very nice.

T - a ton of bourbon, some alcohol burn, espresso and chocolate with a hint of vanilla to close it out.

M - very pleasant, but a little hot and thin at the moment.

O - a damn fine bba stout, worthy of its A rating. I'll definitely search out a few more bottles to see how they develop with some time.

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.