2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Bourbon barrel aged

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 705 | Reviews: 223 | Show All Ratings:
injuredreserve

Louisiana

A: Jet black with a thick chocolate head

S: Coffee, chocolate cherries and bourbon.

T: A lot going on here, and it lingers for some time which is nice. Get the bourbon, chocolate cherries, brown sugar, and it keeps going....

M: Medium bodied, could be a little thicker.

D: Perfect 12oz serving, and easy to drink..

My new favorite beer. All I could say after the first sip was "WOW", and that sums it up.

11-08-2010 10:45:51 | More by injuredreserve
MiScusi

Nothing about this beer I don't like. Black, dark tan frothy head, thick syrupy body. Everything about this beer screams cocoa and bourbon. The flavor is just bursting. What I also love about this beer is the flavor to price ratio. All the amazing flavor of the super expensive rare imperial stouts and just a fraction of the price. To me this beer is like a light Black Tuesday.

05-11-2011 02:50:32 | More by MiScusi
MikeSr619

So, Im sitting at this bar when Chuck walks up to me and says, "Hey punk, try my beer!" I look up at him and say, "What makes this YOUR beer, Chuck?" and he slaps me with his drivers license and says, "Im Chuck MFing Silva!!" never mess with chuck norris silva.

seriously though, this beer is amazing. I had it on tap at a gastropub around Rancho Bernardo and it poured like a dream. The smell was roasty and you just knew when you tasted it that it was going to be great. It went down VERY smooth.

My ONLY problem with it is that I wish there was more. But you gotta keep the public in demand.

06-02-2011 17:42:13 | More by MikeSr619
FARGO619

What a great little beer. On my top ten at the moment. Bought a case, and sold out before I was able to get another one. Chocolate and molasses hits the nose. Bourbon aroma, strong coffee is there and present up front. It's a kicker of a beer. Strong and chocolaty swirled on my palate. It sweetens up a bit as it warms in my glass.

Serving type: Bottle served in a room tempurature tulip glass.

06-23-2011 02:42:19 | More by FARGO619
dfillius

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a wine glass, shared a 12oz with warnerry
A: 1/4 finger of dark brown head with fair retention. Near opaque dark brown. More head would be nice. The head only sticks around as a film.
S: Vanilla, some bourbon. Nice slight cherry. Some buttery aroma, maybe diacetyl? This makes it smell almost cake-like. Mississippi mud cake in a glass.
T: Chocolate, bittersweet cocoa, very slight bourbon. Some fruit. Fudge-like. Maybe slight coconut. I like how the bourbon is subdued.
M: Warm, not hot. Smooth, viscous, bitter from cocoa. Silky.
O: Would have been able to drink the entire 12 oz gladly. The scarcity maybe leads me to a greater appreciation. I would love to have this again. One of the best BBS I've had. Full flavored and not hot.

10-27-2012 02:12:23 | More by dfillius
mrbubbler

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz bottle poured into tulip / Have also had this on tap several times.

A: Pitch black with a nice dark chocolate mocha color head. Good 2 inches of head with a nice slightly aggressive pour

S:Wonderful! bourbon, chocolate syrup, coco nibs, coffee, and just a wonderful vanilla oak smell.

T: I get a little bit of bitter coffee and roast at first followed by a very wonderful blend of bourbon, chocolate syrup, and barrel aged flavors that come through on the finish

M: smooth and creamy. carbonation is just enough.

O: I love this beer. i have probably killed at least a couple four packs with ease. I wish they would make this stuff again.

Servin

03-30-2011 05:59:36 | More by mrbubbler
BB1313

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Ok, my mind has been blown by this one. I love stouts, but to be honest, I've had alot of letdowns when it comes to BBA stouts. I've also found some that I really love, but this one is perfect for me. I'm not saying I'll never come across one better than this, but wow. I've been lucky enough to have this on-tap during Cleveland Beer Week, and didn't think I'd ever see a bottle on shelves.. lucky me.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black, nice 1 inch mocha head. Beautiful wicked lacing and retention, I'm talkin beautiful lacing and retention. Smells like tons of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon. Smells like a double chocolate cookie. All of that can be found in the flavors as well. The bourbon is blended harmoniously. There's a nice sweetness, but far from cloyingly sweet. Not bitter. Chocolate and coffee/expresso dominate. Every once in awhile I catch a blast of vanilla. Oak/wood is there, but not dominant. There's also a touch of caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is perfect. It's not milkshake thick, but thick enough. Perfectly carbonated, so damn smooth. This beer can be dangerously drinkable, because it's so good you'd never want to stop. Such a treat, very complex. Aromas and flavors are extremely bold. This is the REAL deal.

I'm confident this is the best stout I've ever had, to date. World class, phenomenal.

01-01-2012 22:20:06 | More by BB1313
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.94/5  rDev +12%

Batch 1

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Smutty half pint. Shared with RoninTK3.

Appearance- Pitch black with little mocha head. Some solid lacing.

Smell- Heavy Bourbon. Caramel and vanilla, some coffee and chocolate, but mostly bourbon and oak.

Taste- Chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bitter malt, oak, cherry. Extremely light booze. Super smooth. No heat.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, light viscosity, mild carbonation, no heat or booze.

Overall- This is hands down the best bourbon barrel stout I've had to date. Super happy I could try this.

03-25-2013 03:21:46 | More by Seanniek91
ZX6Chris

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Shared a couple bottles with a few BA's recently.

A-Jet black with a nice brown head that fades into some thick lacing.

S-A big bourbon aroma, vanilla, oak, coffee and some dark malts.

T-Awesome bourbon aroma but the blending has took it from being over the top to complementing the vanilla, and oak. I get some cherry like fruitiness in the middle with some wood notes. It has a very nice boozy finish.

M-Nicely carbonated with a creamy mouthfeel. Some stouts come off harsh like they're tearing apart your mouth, not this one, it's like the beers making love to my mouth.

D-A delicious bourbon bomb! I'm getting a case of this!

I'm very surprised and delighted by Green Flash on this one. Good job guys!

10-20-2010 04:35:56 | More by ZX6Chris
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Near jet black with some thin mocha lacing

S - Lots of bourbon. Chocolate, roasted malts, and alcohol come through. Some vanilla.

T - Wow! The bourbon does not overpower the flavor like it does the smell. Lots of chocolate, roasted malts, and bitterness nicely complemented by the bourbon. This is a perfectly balanced stout.

M - Smooth and medium bodied with light carbonation. A bit of alcohol heat on the finish but hard to believe this has a 10.1% ABV.

This is easily one of the best stouts I've ever had. Perfectly balanced and goes down very easy for the ABV. The bourbon complements this one rather than is the predominant flavor.

03-25-2013 03:39:54 | More by RoninTK3
johndoe8

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

This is one of my all-time favorites.

Appearance is a jet black, light brown head, with decent lacing.
Smells of light bourbon with hints of vanilla and oak.
The taste is just a very very great blend of all the flavors. No particular note is overwhelming, which overall creates such a great experience.

Mouthfeel, Drinkability are amazing. The heat is masked very well, and the stout has a just-right finish that isn't too light nor too syrupy.

I drink this at least once a week :) So nice to live in driving distance of Green Flash.

11-12-2010 11:12:23 | More by johndoe8
drewba

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Deep brownish black with a finger mocha head. Lacing slowly blotches down the side of the glass. A thin mocha patch remains on top with a healthy ring. For me, the epitome of a perfect looking imperial stout.

S - sweet, vanilla heavy bourbon, a touch of wood and sweet, vanilla-y and raisin-y brandy. Roasty and caramely malts are heavy here.

T - Oh wow...this is solid. Tastes like a blend of bourbon and brandy; plenty of sweet vanilla, rum raisin, burnt sugar, caramel, milk chocolate with hints of wood and coffee. The sweetness is counterbalanced with some coffee grounds and dark chocolate bitterness, resulting in a fair amount of dryness in the finish. Reminds me of a fresh KBS, but better.

M - Just a little too thin. It definitely has a medium body, but I want a little more viscosity here. Carbonation is spot on.

D - This is a fantastic sipper, but at the same time, the bourbon./brandy sweetness has me drinking this quickly. I'd drink this constantly if possible. Seriously, Green Flash, I'd be fine if you completely scrapped any other annual beer to make more room for this.

01-29-2011 06:28:53 | More by drewba
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Let me say, this beer rocks. My 200th review, this is a beer I've looked at for a while to try. Thanks to grilledsquid for this in a trade we did quite a while ago.

A: Excellent look with a silky black body and dark brown highlights. Ring of off white to tan head and awesome sticky dark lacing.

S: Holy cow, this is great. Super leathery and bourbon soaked dark malt bomb. Very round oak and vanilla character that has very little heat at all, but seems so well crafted. Dark fruits and some sweet stout aromas round it out. wow!

T: And the taste does not disappoint, amazing. What a masterful balance of bourbon complexity, vanilla, oak, coconut, cherry dark chocolate, milk chocolate, dark barley, licorice, caramel and even more. Outstanding. Alcohol adds sweetness but not hot or cloying at all.

M: Amazingly creamy and balanced, how is this not hot without even a year of age?

D: A little intense after a while, one serving with do, but damn it's good. Will look to trade for more of this.

03-01-2011 02:27:27 | More by Dreadnaught33
mcallister

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Great looking beer. Deep oily, sludgy blacks with a half inch creamy mocha head leaving a ringed lace in it's path.

Wonderful interesting nose. Black cherry, bourbon, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, toffee, oak, toasted vanilla, black licorice, anise, earthy hops, coffee, minerality, and esters of fig and quince.

Wow! Delicious and way to drinkable. Creamy, roasty, perfect balance, yet light and fluffy on the palate with perfect carbonation giving a dancing feeling long into the roasty bitter finish. Dark chocolate ,milk chocolate, cocoa, latte, coffee, black fruits, cherry, bourbon, toasty vanilla oak, slight burn deep in the chest, caramel, earth, black licorice, sweet cream, absolutely terrific.

03-20-2011 20:50:43 | More by mcallister
Adrianized

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Special thanks to mikedashg for including this as an extra in my first trade!

Poured into a snifter, pitch black with one finger mocha head.  Looks yummy.

Strong chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla bean, and espresso.  Smells somewhat boozy.  Very nice.

Taste is roasted malt, lots of chocolate, strong coffee, and French vanilla.  The aftertaste has a smooth hops bitterness and espresso liquor. It's incredibly balanced and smooth, I'll be done and missing it in no time.

Mouthfeel is awesome.  Full bodied and a little syrupy.  Very good, fine carbonation.

Overall this is an awesome stout, one of the best I've had.

06-07-2011 22:30:38 | More by Adrianized
1Adam12

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours pretty black, but not jet black. Smells fantastic. Loads of vanilla and chocolate. Barrel aging is present. Taste is SOOO smooth. ABV just isn't present at all. It's like sipping a desert. Semi sweet, but dry as well. Vanilla, dark chocolate, loads of malt, bourbon is there but blends very nicely with the rest of the flavors....just fantastic. Mouthfeel is perfect. Huge but smooth. Insanely creamy. This is one of the better BA stouts I've ever had. Nuff said.

09-21-2011 00:30:57 | More by 1Adam12
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Bottle poured into my Bruery snifter. I was cleaning out the cellar and saw this sitting there and thought "why not?" and now it is in my glass and boy am I happy. Thanks domtronzero for this tasty treat.

A - Black as night with a big brown head. Some lacing on the side.

S - Smooth bourbon, oak and hints of vanilla. This is barrel aging done right, no harsh alcohol notes just smooth bourbon.

T - bourbon up front before giving way to some beautiful roasted notes, finishing with more smooth bourbon and vanilla flavors. lingering chocolate/roast taste. Please give me some more.

M - heavy body with a bit more carbonation than I'd like, I might be nitpicking a bit though.

D - I'm always saying how I would like more big stouts to be bottled in smaller sizes but... god I wish I had another 10 oz's of this one. The drinkability is perfect on this one. You get all the great characteristics of barrel aging, over a solid stout base that stands up to the barrel. This beer really is exceptional and I hope more of it lands in my cellar. Please make more Green Flash!

03-02-2011 01:16:44 | More by jpmclaug
d0ggnate

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a rich brown/black to my glad with frothy mocha two finger head. There's plenty of lacing left down the glass after a few minutes.

Nose is of smooth bourbon and caramel. Hints of brown sugar and roasted coffee notes are noticeable. Taste continues with the smooth bourbon and caramel flavors, but very distinct vanilla bean flavors are unmistakable.

The mouthfeel is silky, creamy. Extremely drinkable, without even thinking about the ABV. I can't imagine this one getting better with age, but I have a few to open over time. Overall, this is another great beer from Green Flash and is drinking incredible from the release date.

10-29-2010 05:13:00 | More by d0ggnate
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

the nightcap of my first full night back at the table, i was able to pull this one of the stash and dump it into a snifter. served chilled.

the pour was wonderful with a huge dark black color an a nice tight head of tan that really showed off how nice this was. sticking to the sides and dropping tons of foam down the sides. aroma is deep bourbon, tons of vanilla, oak and rich roasted notes. chocolate cuts through as does a ton of coffee and a huge splash of deep vanilla in the finish. seriously big bourbon flavor, i was not expecting this to be as huge as it was and in hind sight, should have shared, lol.

overall this was an awesome ba stout and a great way to get back in the game, simply fantastic and well worth it.

12-19-2010 16:23:01 | More by mikesgroove
homebrew311

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Big thanks to MrTopher for sending this one my way in a trade.

A: jet black appearance, dense cocoa colored head, splotchy lacing, opaque

S: starts off with vanilla and dark chocolate, then comes a huge waft of toasted coconut, very nice, some oaky notes on the end. The bourbon seems to be seamlessly integrated in the beer.

T: big rush of sweet malty notes come firsts, milk chocolate in the middle followed by vanilla and toasted coconut on the end. The balance is amazing, zero heat from the bourbon. This is a top of the line bourbon stout, reminds me a bit of Bourbon County Rare.

MF: creamy mouthfeel, mellow carbonation

O: this is a wow beer. This is the type of barrel aged brew that sees a lot of benefit from the barrel aging. It is evident that it was done in a precise and careful manner. Overall delicious.

09-19-2011 02:56:09 | More by homebrew311
nhindian

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle provided by GhettoFabulous, thanks Keith!

Tasted side-by-side with Green Flash's Double Stout, the non-barrel-aged version of this beer.

A - Pour is similar to the Double Stout, perhaps a little bit darker in the body. The head is also a shade darker, bordering on dark khaki, and is also slightly shorter in stature, about a finger's worth. Retention is a also lower, and when it's gone there's merely a foamy ring around the edge, compared to the lingering cap of the non-barrel-aged version. Not a whole bunch of lacing as well; thick bubbles cling to the glass, but rapidly afterward they slide away.

S - The nose is the first distinguishing characteristic that separates itself leaps and bounds from the original version. Whereas the aroma of the normal Double Stout was a little faint, this bouquet is bold, bombastic, and bourbony. My initial impression is that this is on par with Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout in how rich the bourbon comes through. The milk chocolate in the Double Stout opens and develops into a complex fudge note. The coffee fades a little from the original, but there's still a slight roast. Decent amount of caramel and molasses, and obviously a bit more heat as well.

T - The flavors are an extension of the nose with even more depth. Sweet bourbon paves the way for an enjoyable rollercoaster of flavors ranging from chocolate fudge to oak to vanilla. The bourbon at the front-end is sweet and gives off flavors of alcohol-soaked fruit, before falling away into a decadent chocolate fudge cake. The wood barrels come through slightly to give an oaky, earthy taste, which leads to a nice vanilla flavor coming through prominently in the finish. Molasses and toffee are interspersed throughout, rounding out a wonderful flavor profile.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with medium-low carbonation. Carbonation is apt for a barrel-aged stout but noticeably lower than the Double Stout base. Still exceptionally smooth and creamy and finishes more sweet than bitter compared to the original.

D/O - Drinkability is high for this beer. I'm not sure what barrels were used for this, but it drinks much better than normal Bourbon County Stout. It has a smoothness and richness that puts it in a similar echelon to 50/50's Four Roses Eclipse, and this honestly may be a step above due to how smooth it is. Although this is ultimately a blend, I can't say it hurts the beer and probably rounds off some of the rough edges. Definitely seek this out!

05-09-2011 03:55:12 | More by nhindian
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Poured jet black with some brown hues as the light hits it. Finished off with a nice tannish cap

S: Big, rich cocoa upfront, bourbon, wood not just wood but but Oak as well. There is a difference and this beer reflects it.

Taste: Chocolate is a milk chocolate upfront, blends with a light bitter cocoa, bourbon, coffee, roasted malt and oak, all blend and work together very well. Such a great taste! A tinge of booze which you forget about from the smoothness and great taste.

Mouthfeel: Full body, nice amount of booze and body, great feel.

Overall: Exceptional.

05-22-2011 14:25:52 | More by barleywinefiend
badboyrsl84

On tap at the Green Flash brewery grand opening

Pours dark as night with a nice mocha/tan head

Smell- bourbon, vanilla and a strong sweet chocolate. Amazing!

Taste- follows the nose. Bourbon, vanilla from tgw barrel and tons of mouth lacing chocolate. Chocolate dominant and no kick from alcohol.

Overall- this is the west coast version of Founders KBS. Amazing

07-24-2011 19:02:19 | More by badboyrsl84
Bierlerner

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Poured into a snifter. Dark chocolatey brown. Nice creamy head.

S- Wow. Great bourbon notes. Vanilla and oak. Great milk chocolate too. Outstanding!

T- Again, wow! Silky smooth milk chocolate with a perfect balance of bourbon. Nice hint of wood and vanilla. A bit of spice in the background.

M- creamy, low carb, melts in your mouth like a chocolate bar.

O- This is one truly exceptional beer. Glad my buddy sent me this. I could drink this over and over and over again.

11-16-2011 23:31:42 | More by Bierlerner
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A vigorous pour gets me two full fingers of chocolate malt colored head. The foam actually sits in two different levels the top being slightly lighter then the bottom level. Lace is consistent and leaves a ramp to the glass. Body is the purest of ink blot black. Nose is absolutely delectable with chocolate brownies, chocolate malt, and rich mellow bourbon tones. The smell is amazing and truely inviting. As I take first sip I quickly have to check the label and verify the alcohol content. This beer is so chocolatey, creamy and rich there is no trace of the 10.1% content. Sweet bourbon soaked heavy bread and coco dance on the palate. I consider myself a huge long time fan of big stouts and this is nothing short of spectacular. Granted this one is definitely on the sweeter side. This makes the perfect night cap or desert beer. Finish is long sweet and heavy but in a good way. I will be seeking out much more of this gem in the future.

05-20-2013 00:59:54 | More by SPLITGRIN
Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.