Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010

Bourbon barrel aged

What a great little beer. On my top ten at the moment. Bought a case, and sold out before I was able to get another one. Chocolate and molasses hits the nose. Bourbon aroma, strong coffee is there and present up front. It's a kicker of a beer. Strong and chocolaty swirled on my palate. It sweetens up a bit as it warms in my glass.

Serving type: Bottle served in a room tempurature tulip glass.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a wine glass, shared a 12oz with warnerry
A: 1/4 finger of dark brown head with fair retention. Near opaque dark brown. More head would be nice. The head only sticks around as a film.
S: Vanilla, some bourbon. Nice slight cherry. Some buttery aroma, maybe diacetyl? This makes it smell almost cake-like. Mississippi mud cake in a glass.
T: Chocolate, bittersweet cocoa, very slight bourbon. Some fruit. Fudge-like. Maybe slight coconut. I like how the bourbon is subdued.
M: Warm, not hot. Smooth, viscous, bitter from cocoa. Silky.
O: Would have been able to drink the entire 12 oz gladly. The scarcity maybe leads me to a greater appreciation. I would love to have this again. One of the best BBS I've had. Full flavored and not hot.

4.95/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle poured into tulip / Have also had this on tap several times.

A: Pitch black with a nice dark chocolate mocha color head. Good 2 inches of head with a nice slightly aggressive pour

S:Wonderful! bourbon, chocolate syrup, coco nibs, coffee, and just a wonderful vanilla oak smell.

T: I get a little bit of bitter coffee and roast at first followed by a very wonderful blend of bourbon, chocolate syrup, and barrel aged flavors that come through on the finish

M: smooth and creamy. carbonation is just enough.

O: I love this beer. i have probably killed at least a couple four packs with ease. I wish they would make this stuff again.

Servin

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Ok, my mind has been blown by this one. I love stouts, but to be honest, I've had alot of letdowns when it comes to BBA stouts. I've also found some that I really love, but this one is perfect for me. I'm not saying I'll never come across one better than this, but wow. I've been lucky enough to have this on-tap during Cleveland Beer Week, and didn't think I'd ever see a bottle on shelves.. lucky me.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black, nice 1 inch mocha head. Beautiful wicked lacing and retention, I'm talkin beautiful lacing and retention. Smells like tons of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon. Smells like a double chocolate cookie. All of that can be found in the flavors as well. The bourbon is blended harmoniously. There's a nice sweetness, but far from cloyingly sweet. Not bitter. Chocolate and coffee/expresso dominate. Every once in awhile I catch a blast of vanilla. Oak/wood is there, but not dominant. There's also a touch of caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is perfect. It's not milkshake thick, but thick enough. Perfectly carbonated, so damn smooth. This beer can be dangerously drinkable, because it's so good you'd never want to stop. Such a treat, very complex. Aromas and flavors are extremely bold. This is the REAL deal.

I'm confident this is the best stout I've ever had, to date. World class, phenomenal.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Batch 1

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Smutty half pint. Shared with RoninTK3.

Appearance- Pitch black with little mocha head. Some solid lacing.

Smell- Heavy Bourbon. Caramel and vanilla, some coffee and chocolate, but mostly bourbon and oak.

Taste- Chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bitter malt, oak, cherry. Extremely light booze. Super smooth. No heat.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, light viscosity, mild carbonation, no heat or booze.

Overall- This is hands down the best bourbon barrel stout I've had to date. Super happy I could try this.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Shared a couple bottles with a few BA's recently.

A-Jet black with a nice brown head that fades into some thick lacing.

S-A big bourbon aroma, vanilla, oak, coffee and some dark malts.

T-Awesome bourbon aroma but the blending has took it from being over the top to complementing the vanilla, and oak. I get some cherry like fruitiness in the middle with some wood notes. It has a very nice boozy finish.

M-Nicely carbonated with a creamy mouthfeel. Some stouts come off harsh like they're tearing apart your mouth, not this one, it's like the beers making love to my mouth.

D-A delicious bourbon bomb! I'm getting a case of this!

I'm very surprised and delighted by Green Flash on this one. Good job guys!

4.91/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Near jet black with some thin mocha lacing

S - Lots of bourbon. Chocolate, roasted malts, and alcohol come through. Some vanilla.

T - Wow! The bourbon does not overpower the flavor like it does the smell. Lots of chocolate, roasted malts, and bitterness nicely complemented by the bourbon. This is a perfectly balanced stout.

M - Smooth and medium bodied with light carbonation. A bit of alcohol heat on the finish but hard to believe this has a 10.1% ABV.

This is easily one of the best stouts I've ever had. Perfectly balanced and goes down very easy for the ABV. The bourbon complements this one rather than is the predominant flavor.

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Deep brownish black with a finger mocha head. Lacing slowly blotches down the side of the glass. A thin mocha patch remains on top with a healthy ring. For me, the epitome of a perfect looking imperial stout.

S - sweet, vanilla heavy bourbon, a touch of wood and sweet, vanilla-y and raisin-y brandy. Roasty and caramely malts are heavy here.

T - Oh wow...this is solid. Tastes like a blend of bourbon and brandy; plenty of sweet vanilla, rum raisin, burnt sugar, caramel, milk chocolate with hints of wood and coffee. The sweetness is counterbalanced with some coffee grounds and dark chocolate bitterness, resulting in a fair amount of dryness in the finish. Reminds me of a fresh KBS, but better.

M - Just a little too thin. It definitely has a medium body, but I want a little more viscosity here. Carbonation is spot on.

D - This is a fantastic sipper, but at the same time, the bourbon./brandy sweetness has me drinking this quickly. I'd drink this constantly if possible. Seriously, Green Flash, I'd be fine if you completely scrapped any other annual beer to make more room for this.

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

This is one of my all-time favorites.

Appearance is a jet black, light brown head, with decent lacing.
Smells of light bourbon with hints of vanilla and oak.
The taste is just a very very great blend of all the flavors. No particular note is overwhelming, which overall creates such a great experience.

Mouthfeel, Drinkability are amazing. The heat is masked very well, and the stout has a just-right finish that isn't too light nor too syrupy.

I drink this at least once a week :) So nice to live in driving distance of Green Flash.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours pretty black, but not jet black. Smells fantastic. Loads of vanilla and chocolate. Barrel aging is present. Taste is SOOO smooth. ABV just isn't present at all. It's like sipping a desert. Semi sweet, but dry as well. Vanilla, dark chocolate, loads of malt, bourbon is there but blends very nicely with the rest of the flavors....just fantastic. Mouthfeel is perfect. Huge but smooth. Insanely creamy. This is one of the better BA stouts I've ever had. Nuff said.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Let me say, this beer rocks. My 200th review, this is a beer I've looked at for a while to try. Thanks to grilledsquid for this in a trade we did quite a while ago.

A: Excellent look with a silky black body and dark brown highlights. Ring of off white to tan head and awesome sticky dark lacing.

S: Holy cow, this is great. Super leathery and bourbon soaked dark malt bomb. Very round oak and vanilla character that has very little heat at all, but seems so well crafted. Dark fruits and some sweet stout aromas round it out. wow!

T: And the taste does not disappoint, amazing. What a masterful balance of bourbon complexity, vanilla, oak, coconut, cherry dark chocolate, milk chocolate, dark barley, licorice, caramel and even more. Outstanding. Alcohol adds sweetness but not hot or cloying at all.

M: Amazingly creamy and balanced, how is this not hot without even a year of age?

D: A little intense after a while, one serving with do, but damn it's good. Will look to trade for more of this.

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.