Silva Stout - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2010

Bourbon barrel aged
Reviews: 246 | Hads: 1,010

Something was off with this beer, It had to be infected. Shared a 750ml bottle between 4 people and we all dumped it. Very unfortunate, especially because of the cost of the bottle. We saved it for the last one of the night and were so disappointed. (252 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -69.5%

Well, this was a major let down. Was one of the 2015 bottles. Right off the bat we all knew something was wrong. Smells like shitty butterscotch. Only goes down hill from here. Taste is cherry like and even shittier butterscotch. Huge let down for the almost $20 price tag. (273 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -69.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I traded for this beer years ago and it was delicious. I was so excited to see it on the shelves in my area that I didn't even question dropping $20 on a bottle.

Sadly, this is not the same beer I had previously. As soon as a popped the cork, I was hit with vinegary butter. There are hints of what this beer should be in the background, but the apparent infection has taken over.

I had already given up on Green Flash's hoppy beers because the dating is so inconsistent/ridiculous. Now I feel like I can't even trust the other stuff. I will be swearing them off completely until they fix these issues. (606 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -44.2%

Was looking fwd to this one for awhile only to be super let down by the infected batch. I emailed green flash and was told reparations would be made to those who spent money on these infected bottles. I have yet to hear anything more from green flash. Will avoid buying their beers from now on. (294 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at The American Craft Beer Fest Yesterday.
Rich coffee and chocolate with a huge hit of diacytyl. This one isn't right and shouldn't be served. (150 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2015 Batch 01: Brewed in April 2013 with golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malts, then aged for 18 months in American oak bourbon barrels and bottles on February 16, 2015. Pours black hole black color with zero light anywhere to be found that leads up to a nice creamy 1 finger tan/khaki head that was full of tiny bubbles and faded very slowly, leaving excellent foamy lacing coating the sides.

Smells is odd and not what I expected from the look; it’s a mix of maple syrup, spoiled chocolate milk, oak, vanilla, faint caramel, toffee, yeast, rotting fruit like pears and cherry, and finally a whiff of stagnant leftover beer like the overflow in a bucket after a daytime keg party. The nose did not have the rich malt or bourbon I expected and was more like rotting fruit and cheap keg beer with a box of red wine dumped in it. Heartbreaking as the hype and looks had me excited for this bottle, but the nose registered senses and aromas that just don’t make sense. There is no sign of the ABV, but the sour milk smell leads me to question if this bottle is tainted.

Tastes a little sweeter than the nose, but the same off flavors come through like they did in the nose: spoiled chocolate milk, oak, vanilla, faint caramel, toffee, yeast, rotting fruit, maple syrup, cheap red wine like MadDog 20/20 and some mild coffee.

WTF? The bottle is gorgeous, the pour looks good, the ratings are high, and then I pop the cork and this borderline drain pour sits before me. I am struggling to get through 1 glass of this bomber; it reminds me of going down and eating bad sushi if you know what I mean…yikes, what happened here?!?? This bottle must have gotten contaminated as it crossed the US in my mail order because I’m having a hard time accepting that this beer could be this bad with so many high ratings and reviews. Done here, I need to get another bottle which I will age longer and pray for the best. At $20 per bottle it is a sin to dump half of this, but it’s that not enjoyable for me. (2,018 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours attractively. Couple fingers tan head.

Upon popping the cork, the aroma of buttered popcorn was striking and predominant.

Taste follows but is better and more nuanced. Caramel, toffee, butter, dry wood and a bit of boozy spice.

For a $20 bottle, pretty disappointing. (277 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

750ml bottle of 2015 batch 1. Aroma upon first opening the bottle is promising, chocolate, malt, and bourbon. Aroma is much more muted from the tulip glass. Flavor is sort of woody, cheap whiskey, no real chocolate or vanilla, disappointing really. I feel like I've been so spoiled by Parabola and Bourbon County that most bourbon barrel stouts are a letdown these days. (370 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.8%

Received from injuredreserve in an overly generous trade, thanks! I gotta preface this by saying that I have recently cracked into my BA stout collection and can't help but compare this with 07 BA Yeti, BA SC, etc...and this just doesn't hold - up but here we go.

Pours a super dark brown with an unfortunately large head that seemed unnecessary due to my soft pour to begin with...annoying. Nose is good with chocolate dominating the overall bouquet and soft fig notes rounding it out. For me, the flavor totally disapoints. I get burnt malt and a fairly sharp hop finish top this that isn't to my taste at all. Very little else to the flavor of this beer. Mouthfeel is even worse with sharp carbonation and little creaminess. All that being said it is decent enough to drink. I have another one that I may set aside for awhile to see if it changes but I'm not impressed. (873 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into block 15 snifter. Bottled 12/10/12. Thanks again Pidzick12!

A: Pours black with a huge, very dense, and very dark brown head that filled up the rest of the glass. Head took its time to fade into a wispy collar that left soapy spotty lace down the glass.
S: Nose is full of dark chocolate, peat, and a bit of char, but I'm also getting a few notes of soy sauce. Bourbon barrel is present but very mellow at this point. I get a few hints of sweet toasted marshmallow as well.
T: Bourbon is more prominent than the nose, but it is still very very mellow. Soy sauce oxidization is up front and noticeable, but it doesn't ruin the beer. Bourbon is sweet and lighty spicy, and I get notes of earthy peat and slight char as well. Leather and caramel bring up the finish, and the aftertaste is bitter and lingering.
M: Fuzzy carbonation, sweet, bitter, slightly sharp mouthfeel, medium-full body.
O: I never had this fresh but I've wanted to try it for a long time. While oxidization is present, this beer is still very flavorful and drinkable. Thanks again, Paul! (1,074 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Lot of trepidation cracking this bottle based on the many people who have opened a diacetyl butterscotch popcorn bomb. Here we go:

Appearance: looks fine, quite a bit of lacing on sides and mild foam. More carbonated than your usual bourbon barrel aged stout

Smell: pretty mild for a barrel aged stout. No butter bomb which is a good sign. Slight bourbon note, vanilla, stale baker's chocolate, cold pressed coffee.

Taste: roasty bitterness, powdered chocolate like oveltine or another powdered breakfast drink that tastes fake and processed, vanilla extract, oak, mild bourbon and finishes with an acrid, hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: worst mouthfeel of any barrel aged stout. Wayyy too thin. Bubbly, carbonation, weak, no presence.

Overall: Double Stout is a poor example of a stout and it transfers to this barrel aged version. The barrel influences are not very pronounced leaving us with the same thin, weak stout. Not much of interest here as it is dominated by a poor mouthfeel and too much hops. Challenging to finish this and I got the non-infected batch! For 19 bucks there is no reason to waste money on this beer. Either you get an infected drain pour or a beer that is just not very good and I'd only feel positive about buying at 9-10 bucks. Certainly not twice that and even if it was half price I wouldn't buy it again. (1,342 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a true black with a big fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves a coating. I'm getting candy sugar, roasted malts, vanilla, marshmallow, bourbon, and etoh; but all just hints. Earlier in the pour there were hints of metal that made it unpleasant, but improved dramatically as it warmed. Taste starts with moderately burnt dark roasted malts, followed by marshmallow, vanilla, and hints of tobacco and leather, and finishes quick and hot. Medium bodied and and the etoh has a lasting warming impact. Drinkability is average due to the heat and over-carbonation. Overall, glad I got to try it, and all the pieces are there for what I really love in a ba impy stout, but the mf and burnt flavors just didn't do it for me. I'm gonna remember vanilla mixed with heat. (774 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Tastes like a toned-down Brandy Barrel-Aged Angel's Share - the licorice overtones are overwhelming. And there is little semblance to the Double Stout. There really is little justification for Green Flash to be making this beer. They should stick to their west-cost hop-forward beers instead. (292 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have no clue how this made it to the BA top 250 after the changes - this beer tasted like buttered popcorn and was pretty clearly infected. That implicated about everything. (176 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

Huge thanks to airohead2001 for bringing this back from a recent trip to San Diego.

A: The beer pours black in color with a light tan color. There was a ½ finger head that had moderate retention and mild lacing.

S: Some whiffs of coffee and chocolate in the smell here. The smell is pretty good, but fairly weak. There's also some bourbon, but this takes a back seat to the coffee and chocolate.

T: The bourbon comes through more in the taste than in the nose. There's coffee at the finish, but the chocolate flavors I was expecting from the nose didn't come through as strongly as I had hoped for in the taste. Something just seemed to be missing here in my opinion. The components were there, but they just didn't come together very strongly. There was also some roastiness and some alcohol heat.

M: A little thinner than I would have liked. The carbonation was appropriate, but somewhat on the high side, and the beer has a nice aftertaste.

D: Pretty good, but far from the best in the style. Mostly limited by the carbonation and the fact that I didn't find the taste overly interesting or inviting. (1,109 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

It's been a while since I've reviewed for the heck of it - might as well give it another shot...

2010 12 oz bottle, poured into a Bruery tulip at cellar temp.

A - Looks pretty good - the requisite black is here for sure, and the dark head hangs around for several minutes. Perhaps slightly too much carbonation showing, but no judgements yet.

S - Plenty of barrel coming through, along with what must have been a very roasty base beer. The effect is more bitterness than booze, and this skews the effect towards harshness.

T&M - Harsh is right - hard to say if it is from the carbonation, the roast malts, or the oak, but there is a definite astringency present. I can tell there is a thick stout under it all, but something is overwhelming that. The depth and character I like in a barrel aged stout isn't here.

O - Not bad, but not one of the best. Just a little too much puckering harshness throughout to bring it from good to great. (942 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Huge thanks to ptykozoon for sending this in a recent trade as an extra!

Pours a deep dark chestnut brown that appears pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color when held to a light source. One finger frothy beige head with decent retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet boozy aroma with a prominent barrel character. Lots of bourbon and earthy oak as well as some sweet vanilla/marshmallow notes. Underneath, the base beer is still evident. Thankfully the nose of this beer isn't verly dominated by the bourbon. Plenty of dark malt with hints of silky chocolate, oatmeal, coffee bean, toast and toffee. Only slightly roasted and not acrid at all. Hopefully the flavor lives u to the aroma.

Chewy medium body that has a much more dominant roasted presence than the aroma suggests. In opposition to the aroma, the malt is extremely roasted and almost burnt, dominating the palate and taste. The barrel aging is more subtle than expected and is most evident towards the end of the swallow. Lots of roasted malt of front with hints of burnt toast, acrid burnt coffee bean, oatmeal and bittersweet dark chocolate. This is countered in the finish by the bourbon barrel character. Lots of sweet, boozy bourbon heat with subtle ashy/earthy oak. The pleasant vanilla/marshmallow character from the aroma is faint, a bit too much so for my liking. If it was a bit stronger it could have mellowed things out a bit but unfortunately this beer is a bit one dimensional and harsh to drink. Decent but definitely a sipper. I'm curious how this one would do with some age. (1,651 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

I've been sitting on a few bottles of this for awhile now. Had one when I first got them. Now sharing this 12 oz bottle with my bf.

A- Body is a thick dark brown, nearly black hue. Pours with a small 1/2 finger head or so which quickly fades to a thin collar some traces of lacing are left behind in the glass.

S- Bourbon, Milk Chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol, cocoa powder, oak barrel.

T- Flavor is very similar to the smell. Notes of bourbon and cocoa powder upfront with a moderate oak barrel backbone. The finish is mostly bourbon barrel-with a moderate to sharp alcohol astringency. Left to linger is a moderate alcohol astringency and hints of cocoa.

M- Moderate to heavy weight body and low to medium carbonation. Body has low viscosity for the style and some alcohol and cocoa powder consistency.

O- Overall this is a decent Bourbon barrel stout-the time in my cellar hasn't really made a difference in the quality of the beer. The balance is slightly on the side of the bourbon barrel and the chocolate base is more of a milk chocolate or cocoa powder than a dark chocolate. (1,089 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to d0ggnate for hookin' it up.

12oz. Brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours jet black, no light. Decent head with good retention and nice lacing.

S: Nice bourbon notes with a touch of barrel. Lots of lactose in the nose... Maybe I'm wrong but seems like it.

T/M: Mild bourbon with mild barrel notes. Overtones of vanilla with plenty of lactose to follow. Not a ton of roast but plenty of somewhat mellowed heat. Some light chocolate and weak dark fruitiness. Body is medium full or more with mild carbonation.

D: Drinks moderately and is t quite what I was expecting from a bourbon barrel stout. Interesting, but meh. (639 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

I got this bottle from sideswipe-- thanks John!
reviewed from notes.

pours a oily looking brown with some red hues in the legs. Minimal spotty lacing and below average retention. (for some reason I am sounding much like Ron Burgundy as I narrate my voice notes-- bare with me).
The nose is chocolate, bourbon, loads of vanilla. Good bourbon bite on the finish.
I was unimpressed the first time I had this one, but after subsequent visits to this one, I must say it is delicious. Perhaps Drewba's enthusiasm rubbed off on me.

The feel is a bit undercarbonated, and just a hair thin.

Overall-- if this is bottled again, don't drink it for the first 5 or 6 months. Wait and enjoy it more. (688 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a Cigar City Snifter.

A: It pours a deep black with a quickly dissipating head that leaves a thin lacing.

S: The aroma has characteristics of dark fruit, coconut, oak, and some vanilla.

T: It has a lot of dark fruit, oak, coconut, vanillia, and bourbon. It has a lot of coconut/dark fruit which gives it a very similar taste to the Samuel Adams Utopias. It also has some mocha characteristics as well.

M: It has a higher carbonation, but not over carbed by any means. It has a smooth richness in the mouthfeel as well.

O: Overall, it has passed its prime. I had this from a bottle at the Eclipse Pre-Release party last year and it was amazing, but now it is losing a lot of the great double stout characteristics. It is really well done, but with a bit of age it gains a lot of coconut and vanilla. It is still a good beer. (844 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle from Shane. Thanks! Been sitting in my cellar for over a year.

Appearance is a thick black with a nice mocha head which settles down into thin lacing.

Aroma is bursting with the bourbon. Honey, caramel, chocolate.

Taste isn’t nearly so powerful with bourbon. Medium sweetness from the chocolate, but there’s a hint of tinniness. Some fading alcohol. I may have sat on this one too long, because it was fantastic fresh.

Mouthfeel is still quite good, though. Coats the palate well.

Overall, this is still good, but if you’ve got any, I’d suggest drinking them because I believe it's in a decline. Sad, because I've rated this a 4.5 when fresh. (664 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%

355mL pours ink black with a large mocha head. Sheety brown lace remains. Nose is chocolate malt balls, dark fruits, raisins. Taste is silky, mild bourbon, feeling sweeter and more date/raisin heavy than something similar like Parabola. A good dose of bitter chocolate. Softer mouthfeel. Very nice. (298 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Its certainly bourbony... good lord! Has potential, but needs some age to tone down the wood and even out. Had on draft, so no real chance to age. Maybe with time this will be a great beer. (189 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz from marisatheyounger - thanks very much!

into dfh snifter. first 6oz at room temp, second 6oz at 50f.

Pours black, oversized tan head with a great volume of soapy bubbles that reduce quickly to a tight layer of tan lacing stretching over the top of the pour.

Amazing aroma of roasted malt with a well balanced bourbon and dark fruit. If the brew had tasted as good as it smelled I would have been exceptionally happy.

Good flavor, malts with a bourbon note throughout. There isn't much here beyond that. I would have liked there to be a good layering of the stout flavors. I don't know that this stout would have held up on it's own without the bourbon notes.

A bit watery on the mouthfeel. While I enjoy the lighter mouthfeel I believe this is still a little light for the style.

For a stout, I would likely reach for this over some others, but for a bourbon aged stout, I can think of a number of annual releases that I would reach for over this.

(60th) (969 characters)

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.