2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,224 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
jmerloni

A - WOW!!! An electrifying hazy, light orange with the most unbelievable head I've ever seen on a beer in my lifetime. It took me three perfect pours to get this whole beer in the glass and I had to suck the overflowing head off the top each time. Huge, sea-foamy, wildly bubbly bright-osteowhite head.

S - Belgian yeast, spices, floral, pineapple, bubblegum.

T - WOW!!! Holy fucking shit. Awesome. Soooo refreshing and pure tasting. Bubblegum galore. Belgian yeast, lemon rind, thyme, rosemary, mint, a good dose of awesome watermelon savoriness. Flower honey. Perfect.

M - Unbelievably refreshing. Perfectly carbonated, medium-bodied. Awesome balance. Everything strikes at the right time.

D - This gets a perfect 5 from me. This beer tastes like it's existed for millennia and comes from a waterfall. I couldn't ask for more. I know no better way to describe it than that.

Edit: had it three times since and I can say this is the greatest beer I've ever had. Genius conception and expert execution in this one. A beer to drop your jaw at.

04-14-2012 03:51:57 | More by jmerloni
u2shawn

Oregon

This beer is outstanding! Balanced with citrus, funk and malt with a lasting white head and a smell of floral, funky bliss. The body is crisp but still full for a brett beer. This is the perfect spring/summer/any time beer! In my opinion this is Green Flash's best effort! Well done!

04-15-2012 23:42:51 | More by u2shawn
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.96/5  rDev +29.2%

Green Flash Rayon Vert has an extremely thick, whipped cream-type off-white head (actually it exploded everywhere when I popped the cap) and a brilliant, reddish-orange appearance, with some streaming bubbles and about the thickest lacing imaginable present on the glass. The aroma is fruit forward, with orange peel, orange juice, sugar, and possibly even Orange Julius in the smell. Taste is of the highest order- fruit, Mandarin orange, marmalade, orange peel, orange rind, white bread, white bread crust, sugar, yeast, a mild hop bitterness, and white pepper. Mouthfeel is light to medium and slick, and Green Flash Rayon Vert (Green Flash, in English) finishes mostly dry, smooth, mellow, and supremely drinkable. Overall, this is world class to the hilt. Incredible!

RJT

01-17-2013 15:37:24 | More by RonaldTheriot
Auraan

Arizona

4.89/5  rDev +27.3%

Poured a beautiful golden hue with plenty of bubbles rising through the glass with a large, fluffy white head that had to be left to settle. Gorgeous to look at. The scent was mostly the Brettanomyces funk, barnyard/horse scent, but also a very slight hint of Belgian yeast and pine. The flavor again, is dominated by Brettanomyces, a sour funk, there are also slight hints of lemon and tastes of piney hops on the finish and aftertaste. It's odd, but quite pleasant to the taste. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but I don't feel that it detracts from the beer in any way, and rather, seems to help it. While I could due with a slight hint more malt flavors, it's still quite good and is a nice showcase of Brettanomyces and Belgian yeast which I enjoy the flavors of greatly. It's an excellent beer and I'd have it again.

03-01-2013 06:25:14 | More by Auraan
aorloski

4.83/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance - Pours a gorgeous golden orange, huge tight white head

Smell - Wow, one of the best smelling beers I've ever smelled in this category. Bretty, spice, lemon, funk, barnyard. Just buy this damn thing NOW and find out for yourself.

Taste - KNOCKOUT. Peppery lemons, funky brett, zesty sweet citrusy oranges. i am in awe

Mouthfeel - great carbonation to allow all these delicate flavors to develop over the tongue.

Overall - I think this one tastes a lot like boulevards saison-brett, which was one of my favorite beers this year and the fact that this is so available and you can lay some down to let the brett develop more is amazing. pair this one with some whole milk bleu cheese or gorgonzola and you are in heaven. This is fantastic. Top 5 of the year so far.

03-11-2012 01:20:08 | More by aorloski
94Sip

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying this is a really great beer. Not too bitter, very fragrant and just a really great tasting beer.

A: pours a nice orange color with a great white/cream colored head. Not necessarily opaque but not transparent either.

S: smells of some citrus and floral, but not too strong. Maybe a bit of banana. Can't really identify what it smells like but it reminds me other American brewed tripels.

T: this is really great. Not too bitter like some of the west coast PAs and IPAs. There is some creamy flavors as well, a bit of vanilla. Can't taste any alcohol.

M: not too thick and not too thin. Good amount of carbonation.

O: as spring and summer comes on I start to move to the Belgian Pale Ales, Tripels and farmhouse ales. I just found this one here in Texas and thought I would give it a try. As long as I can get this one it will be a staple in these warm months. Every bit as enjoyable as some of the Belgian ales I enjoy.

04-22-2013 00:58:34 | More by 94Sip
VncentLIFE

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

This might be better than Duvel, honestly. The huge head (filled my glass all the way), but the body is that cloudy yellow I love. The smell is all lemon grass and lemon peel all the way. I get a nice hint of funk as well. It honestly reminds me of Sanctification. Very light body and very grassy with a hint of funk. Light body and very drinkable. I love this beer, and its my top BPA.

06-23-2012 02:11:47 | More by VncentLIFE
elNopalero

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for turning me on to this one.

This is a Belgian-style pale ale from Green Flash. At first impression I thought it was “just” another California-Belgian hybrid beer, albeit one which is exceptionally tasty.

It pours a tan-burnt sienna color with a lot of billowy foam that sits atop it, thick and airy. Hm.

There’s a light, fruity aroma. Very subdued hop profile, but floral and fruity aromas. Taste is something else, with lots of fruit blossom-type notes on the palate. It’s like opening an aromatic, fruity gift with each subsequent sip. Turns out this is made with Brett yeast!

I’m excited by the prospect of this evolving over time. Seek it out, you won’t be disappointed.

Rayon Vert update—I cellared a bottle for the better part of a year, refrigerated & opened in December, 2012.

Immediate geyser, which I was completely unprepared for! At first crack of the bottle the cap foamed over, spraying beer everywhere. I sacrificed half a bottle. But the other half was so delicious—it at once made up for loosing it and made me regret the loss even more.

This beer poured an orange-tinged straw with tremendous foam. The foam fizzles out leaving an aroma that’s zesty, estery, and peppery. Aroma is full of orange hints with some brett notes, but the west coast-Green Flash hops have definitely faded.

The flavor has a nice peppery bite with a bit of zest to complement the estery flavors. There’s not a notable brett funk but it’s in the works—and definitely on the finish.

I still get a hop bite but it’s all bitterness with a clean finish. While it doesn’t develop like an Orval I have no complaints as to its taste. A poor man’s Orval? I’ll still take it.

01-20-2012 20:37:18 | More by elNopalero
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.71/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer! Maybe GF should ditch the Cali hop bomb for Belgian Styles cause this little charmer rocks the house! Poured at a good temperature with a colossal, off-white, foamy, uber frothy, billowy head that lasts a loooong time and some clingy lace. Color is a clear honey amber with loads of small bubble trails. Aroma is spice, herbal, yeast, fruit, malt, and very complex. Flavor's similar to nose; bitter and tang are predominant while not being overdone and still, with the other qualities, still enticing. Body is lively, a tad thin, but still good. Finish is like flavor, long, and in spite of boldness, quite drinkable. World class beer! Hope to try it on draft.

03-01-2013 07:02:08 | More by drpimento
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.69/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle and was pleased to find this one marked with a bottling date--or one that hadn't rubbed off, I should say. The bottling date on this one was 7/24/12, so it's got a good 18 months on it for those of you counting at home. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack tulip glass. I've had this beer many times, but decided it was about time I actually reviewed it, before it goes away temporarily before coming back in a new bottle format. But onto the review...

Appearance - No gushing (thankfully), but I do set the bottle down for a moment after opening and the foam slowly starts to creep up out of the mouth of the bottle. I begin to pour as gently as possible and get about halfway through the bottle before I stop to prevent the glass from foaming over. Wait and repeat several times until I get the rest of the bottle emptied. Throughout the course of this there is an enormous cream-colored rocky head of hundreds of medium-sized and smaller bubbles. If I didn't know better, I would tell you it's whipped cream. It makes the beer look like an ice cream float. The body is a murky golden orange, somewhat resembling orange marmalade without the particles of orange. It's also a little darker--maybe the color of dried apricots.

Smell - Musty, barnyard funk and yeast, wet hay, grass clippings, as well as lemon zest, nectarine, granny smith apple, grapefruit juice, light grain and even some wet leather. The funkiness of the Brettanomyces is the star here, much to my pleasure. Of course, I suppose that is to be expected after a year and a half.

Taste - Wonderfully funky, with some faint sourness--maybe more tart--of lemon juice. Musty, damp cellar, woody notes as well as some fresher notes of grass and baby garden greens. There is a pleasant undertone of water crackers and a slight peppery element as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Probably one of the most carbonated beers I've ever had--prickly and effervescent like champagne, but with a heftier body.

Overall, this is easily my favorite offering from Green Flash. It bills itself as an Orval-inspired beer, and I'll say this: the heavy use of Brett and the fact that this beer is wonderful fresh or with a good amount of age on it definitely put it in the same company with Orval. However, to its credit, it is a different and interesting beer in its own right. Just a fantastically imaginative beer from GF and I can't really think of anything in the U.S. that is quite like it--or maybe quite like it and as good.

01-06-2014 06:15:06 | More by LambicPentameter
goochpunch

4.66/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy apricot with a huge, rocky head. Head settles down but maintains a definite presence. Clean, crackery malts with brett all up in the nose. Flavor: pale malts, BRETT, heavy bitterness in the finish. This is awesome. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and feels so light for 7%. Overall holy shit this is less than 10 bucks for a 4 pack??? Lollin at these low reviews. Have these people never tasted brett? This is fucking awesome.

07-21-2013 03:55:07 | More by goochpunch
Immortale25

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Shiner Bock pint glass. No freshness date.

A- When I was looking for the freshness date, I was able to see small wisps of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Then, from a gentle pour, comes a massive three inches worth of cream colored head that retains and slowly starts to wrinkle away. Definitely bottle-conditioned. After the third pour, I finally get the bottle emptied and in goes the particles of sediment with thin wisps flowing behind them. This is the way beer is supposed to look.

S- Decadently rich Belgian yeast with a bit of wild bacteria certainly present providing a bit of a medicinal aroma. Some soap. Very crisp.

T- Quite hoppy in the onset, making me wonder if they should've just called it a Belgian IPA (especially considering the ABV), but let's not split hairs cuz this is very tasty! On the second sip, I admit that the Belgian characteristic plays the lead role but there's still that lingering bitterness. I'm glad I chose to pour the sediment in because there's a perfect amount of luscious yeast flavor that I personally love. Malts also put in their piece to provide a sturdy backbone amongst the other flavors. Notes of pepper, mild grapefruit, lemon, herbal spices and green olive.

M- Spot-on with high carbonation but still not too sharp. It's actually quite fluffy and there's a decent-sized body from the malts.

O- Damn, this is delicious. Definitely my favorite Green Flash next to Le Freak. I think they should do more Belgians since they're obviously so good at it.

03-07-2013 00:59:26 | More by Immortale25
onewetpaw

Tennessee

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured into a tulip

A- Funky brett nose. Like a young (to the US) Orval.

A- Pours clear and amber with a huge stock white head that persists.

F- Tart lemon and light earthy funk. Clean taste that surprises given the strong brett nose. Dry and crisp sensation that leaves you wanting more. Absolutely no hot alcohol or phenols. Subdued fruit flavors, almost like tropical fruit and pineapple.

M- High carbonation lifts this off the palate. Dry, but not at all cidery or overly thin.

O- A really nice interpretation of a belgian pale. I highly recommend this, especially to people interested in funky beers, but not ready for or desiring a punch you in the mouth sour beer.

02-26-2012 02:15:53 | More by onewetpaw
loving44

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Pours honey orange with huge amounts of white head into my Duvel glass. Great head retention and lacing.

S: yeasty, lemon peel, grapefruit, black pepper

T: Amazing. Citrus, black pepper, honey, melon, fruity yeast esters with a nice crisp hoppy finish. It reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum in a way, but with a nice citrus finish that helps balance the sweetness. Hardly any alcohol burn.

Overall: I really, really like this BPA. The fact that I can get it insanely fresh here in San Diego is the icing on the cake.

One of the few beers that have inspired m to write a review in a while. Get some if you can!

06-25-2012 22:14:23 | More by loving44
danieelol

Australia

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a beautiful golden red with lovely head and lacing.

Smell is brett with peach mango and passionfruit hops. Imagine Orval with the hop profile of WCIPA. Awesome.

Taste is so dry. Lots of passionfruit and a kind of Brett-y bitterness. So drinkable.

Mouthfeel is spiderweb-y Brett and then mango/Tripel style tannins.

Overall blown away by this. A really well-conceived Orval tribute and an instant classic.

03-14-2012 10:19:22 | More by danieelol
acevenom

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chalice. Pours clear golden with a large, moderately dissipating white head. Plenty of tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom and side of the glass. There are citrus hop aromas as well as Brett. The beer smells sweet. The citrus from the hops comes first on the taste, but this quickly followed by the Brett. The Brett brings that nice sour flavor. The malt profile is there, bringing some sweetness to this beer that I picked up in the aroma. The flavor profile strongly reminds me of Orval. The body is on the lighter side of medium with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry. This is an excellent beer. I wish I could try this side by side with a fresh Orval for a proper taste comparison.

07-29-2012 00:59:00 | More by acevenom
zeff80

Missouri

4.54/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Poured out a hazy, bronze color with a three finger, tan head of long-lasting, bubbly foam. It left sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled funky with phenolic notes. It had some yeasty notes with caramel sweetness.

T - Very phenolic flavor with funkiness and spicy hop bitterness. Good sweet caramel backbone.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry, clean finish.

O - This is fantastic. It's my favorite beer of the year so far.

01-16-2012 00:57:53 | More by zeff80
DovaliHops

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a clear, golden orange color with a LARGE white head that has a slight orange-cream colored hint to it. Head takes a little time to go down. Scent immediately reminds me of fresh Orval. Brett funk with nice hoppiness. Some citrus and floral notes nicely meshed with barnyard. Taste is ALSO very much like fresh Orval, wow, this can only mean one thing...I LOVE THIS BEER! Disclaimer, I'm drinking this one at room temp, and it's tasting awesome. Immediate floral hoppiness with some slight Belgian yeast flavors. Then you get tasty Brett flavors and barnyard funk. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is crisp and somewhat velvety...dry finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this beer is just great IMO. I need to go buy more of this.

01-18-2012 06:21:36 | More by DovaliHops
brentk56

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy goldenrod, with a fluffy head that leaves plenty of lace

Smell: Spicy light fruit tones, with citrus, grassy hops, leather and yeast funk

Taste: Opens with a touch of sugary malt, with a move toward spicy, peppery fruit and grassy hop flavors that dominate the mid-palate; nicely balanced, after the swallow, with the sugary malt, the grassy hops and the leathery Brett each adding an element

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation that refreshes the palate

Overall: A tremendous achievement for Green Flash; although I enjoy a lot of their hoppy beers, I had no expectation that this brewery could produce a beer like this one

01-19-2012 02:26:35 | More by brentk56
Philousa

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Imbibed at the green Flash tasting room on 12/30/11. Review done from notes and recent bottle tasting to refresh my memory.

Pours a golden orange color with a wispy white head that clings to the glass. What's there laces well. It should be noted that the bottle version has about a 3 finger head and laces well. Funky lemon sums up the first aroma to hit your nose best. Pineapple, banana, grapefruit, orange, and cardamom followed by spicy yeast. A bit funky. No allspice or "heavy" spices to speak of. Pale Belgian malt backbone is apparent. The taste is surprisingly fruity, with most of the aforementioned aromas translating well to the tongue. Citrus esters with a solid amber malt supporting. Very orangey, which is rare in a beer (without being disgusting). Musky yeast turns bitter along with the hops. Middle to thin mouth feel make this drinkable. Well balanced with a dry finish.

Of all the beers I tried at GF, this was my favorite. I can't believe it's year round. They really melded the best of the West Coast hoppiness with the Belgian Tripel spiciness. It's good on tap or in a bottle. The yeast still shows through when on tap. Not much else to say about this beer except that you need to drink it.

01-21-2012 03:53:57 | More by Philousa
justintcoons

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy, burnt orange with golden highlights. Has 4+ fingers of rich, thick, creamy head that sticks around forever. Lacing is spotty by the time it finally dissipates. Has moderate carbonation with yeast laying at the bottom of the glass.

N: The yeast is very prominent. Clove, black pepper, barnyard and somewhat tart Brett characteristics similar to a Wild Ale. There's also McIntosh apple and pear along with hints of caramel and honeydew melon. Smells fantastic!

T: Perfume-like florals, slightly tart Brett, barnyard and hints of white wine upfront. Mid-palate brings in huge doses of crisp McIntosh apple, pear and honeydew along with some clove and notes of caramel. Peppercorn and a hint of wild cherry hit the back end. The finish has everything in harmony in a Brett induced symphony. Very perfume-y.

M: Light-medium bodied, chalky, crisp, semi-dry and refreshing.

O: Crisp, refreshing and yeasty. Very balanced and flavorful showing some subtle Wild Ale characteristics. An excellent value. A 4-pack was about $12 in PA. This is just excellent for the Brett lover.

03-27-2012 00:55:43 | More by justintcoons
Thorpe429

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle from Rick's in Alexandria. Served in a Green Flash Rayon Vert chalice.

Pours a nice, fairly-clear amber color with a nice off-white head. Good retention of the foamy white head. Some lacing on the way down and a good cap and collar throughout.

The nose carries some moderate hopping as well as a nice fruitiness and light earthy character. Great presence in the nose, really serving to complement the hops.

Flavor brings a nice bit of fruity hops along with some earth, light malt, and some Brett through the background. Body is light-to-medium with a good bitterness and a nice bit of Brett and earth to really round things out. Quite dry through the finish.

This is a really fantastic beer and I'm beyond excited that it's year round. This is finally an off-the-shelf year-round beer that is worthy of sitting beside sixers of Two Hearted in my fridge. Bravo, Green Flash.

04-03-2012 03:05:44 | More by Thorpe429
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Ranks up there with ones from Belgium! Wow. Vigorous pour, loads of carbonation, creamy long lasting head. Nose is incredibly assertive with wild bready notes, Brett, and spices. Very carbonated and tickly on the palate with abundance of wild, bretty flavors. Incredibly silky smooth.

04-21-2012 02:52:07 | More by yemenmocha
Thickfreakness

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Pours a cloudy, murky golden orange into my DFH glass. A tremendous yellow tinted head floats and hangs on for dear life. The head is so big that it takes a while to finish the pour. Carbonated like champagne!!! The lacing is sticky as hell and really hangs in for the long haul. Damn near perfect!

S- Right off the bat, that Bretty, yeasty funk kicks you in the nose like a Mule in a barnyard. Smells like a horse stall at the Saratoga Race track on a hot day. Some nice hints of lemony citrus, notes of caramel and grapefruit peel on the backend. This is mostly all about the Manure and citrus zest.

T- WOW! Just as the nose tells you it's going to be... It's like drinking a lemonade at the back end of a horse. Manure, lemons, black pepper, hints of caramel, clove and banana. This is funk-a-licious!!! I gotta try to grab all I can of this fantastic brew before it disappears!

M- It's hard to rate something that makes you mouth literally taste like shit... but that's exactally what it's supposed to do, and it does it sooo well! Lots more going on than just that tho... brilliant lemon/grapefruit/orange zest notes, sweet wheaty caramel, delicate spices and of course that all too familar horse shit stank!!!

O- Fantastic! So full of Brett love, beautiful bright citrus, amazing carbonation and I'm finally glad I got around to trying this fantastic brew.

08-02-2012 05:07:57 | More by Thickfreakness
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Rayon Vert - interesting name. 7.0%, ehh? It's very hoppy, which is to be expected from Green Flash. It's peppery and citrusy. There's also yeast and mineral. As usual, the aroma carries into the flavor and they're very similar here. The yeast really stands out with it's mineral and leather character, but the fruitiness is pretty strong as well. Additionally given the fact that this may be spiced, it's hard to tell exactly what the yeast has contributed and what's coming from the hops and the spice. It's complex, but at the same time it's the same complexity all the way through. Still, it's an interesting and bold beer that you can't ignore - think Orval with west coast hops on steroids.

08-31-2012 14:01:10 | More by NeroFiddled
Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.