Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
4.79/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying this is a really great beer. Not too bitter, very fragrant and just a really great tasting beer.

A: pours a nice orange color with a great white/cream colored head. Not necessarily opaque but not transparent either.

S: smells of some citrus and floral, but not too strong. Maybe a bit of banana. Can't really identify what it smells like but it reminds me other American brewed tripels.

T: this is really great. Not too bitter like some of the west coast PAs and IPAs. There is some creamy flavors as well, a bit of vanilla. Can't taste any alcohol.

M: not too thick and not too thin. Good amount of carbonation.

O: as spring and summer comes on I start to move to the Belgian Pale Ales, Tripels and farmhouse ales. I just found this one here in Texas and thought I would give it a try. As long as I can get this one it will be a staple in these warm months. Every bit as enjoyable as some of the Belgian ales I enjoy.

94Sip, Apr 22, 2013

drew74, Oct 20, 2013

Ray7233, Jun 08, 2013

JimmyTango, Jan 30, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

This might be better than Duvel, honestly. The huge head (filled my glass all the way), but the body is that cloudy yellow I love. The smell is all lemon grass and lemon peel all the way. I get a nice hint of funk as well. It honestly reminds me of Sanctification. Very light body and very grassy with a hint of funk. Light body and very drinkable. I love this beer, and its my top BPA.

VncentLIFE, Jun 23, 2012

MonkeyStain, Jul 23, 2013
4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for turning me on to this one.

This is a Belgian-style pale ale from Green Flash. At first impression I thought it was “just” another California-Belgian hybrid beer, albeit one which is exceptionally tasty.

It pours a tan-burnt sienna color with a lot of billowy foam that sits atop it, thick and airy. Hm.

There’s a light, fruity aroma. Very subdued hop profile, but floral and fruity aromas. Taste is something else, with lots of fruit blossom-type notes on the palate. It’s like opening an aromatic, fruity gift with each subsequent sip. Turns out this is made with Brett yeast!

I’m excited by the prospect of this evolving over time. Seek it out, you won’t be disappointed.

Rayon Vert update—I cellared a bottle for the better part of a year, refrigerated & opened in December, 2012.

Immediate geyser, which I was completely unprepared for! At first crack of the bottle the cap foamed over, spraying beer everywhere. I sacrificed half a bottle. But the other half was so delicious—it at once made up for loosing it and made me regret the loss even more.

This beer poured an orange-tinged straw with tremendous foam. The foam fizzles out leaving an aroma that’s zesty, estery, and peppery. Aroma is full of orange hints with some brett notes, but the west coast-Green Flash hops have definitely faded.

The flavor has a nice peppery bite with a bit of zest to complement the estery flavors. There’s not a notable brett funk but it’s in the works—and definitely on the finish.

I still get a hop bite but it’s all bitterness with a clean finish. While it doesn’t develop like an Orval I have no complaints as to its taste. A poor man’s Orval? I’ll still take it.

elNopalero, Jan 20, 2012
4.71/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer! Maybe GF should ditch the Cali hop bomb for Belgian Styles cause this little charmer rocks the house! Poured at a good temperature with a colossal, off-white, foamy, uber frothy, billowy head that lasts a loooong time and some clingy lace. Color is a clear honey amber with loads of small bubble trails. Aroma is spice, herbal, yeast, fruit, malt, and very complex. Flavor's similar to nose; bitter and tang are predominant while not being overdone and still, with the other qualities, still enticing. Body is lively, a tad thin, but still good. Finish is like flavor, long, and in spite of boldness, quite drinkable. World class beer! Hope to try it on draft.

drpimento, Mar 01, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle and was pleased to find this one marked with a bottling date--or one that hadn't rubbed off, I should say. The bottling date on this one was 7/24/12, so it's got a good 18 months on it for those of you counting at home. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack tulip glass. I've had this beer many times, but decided it was about time I actually reviewed it, before it goes away temporarily before coming back in a new bottle format. But onto the review...

Appearance - No gushing (thankfully), but I do set the bottle down for a moment after opening and the foam slowly starts to creep up out of the mouth of the bottle. I begin to pour as gently as possible and get about halfway through the bottle before I stop to prevent the glass from foaming over. Wait and repeat several times until I get the rest of the bottle emptied. Throughout the course of this there is an enormous cream-colored rocky head of hundreds of medium-sized and smaller bubbles. If I didn't know better, I would tell you it's whipped cream. It makes the beer look like an ice cream float. The body is a murky golden orange, somewhat resembling orange marmalade without the particles of orange. It's also a little darker--maybe the color of dried apricots.

Smell - Musty, barnyard funk and yeast, wet hay, grass clippings, as well as lemon zest, nectarine, granny smith apple, grapefruit juice, light grain and even some wet leather. The funkiness of the Brettanomyces is the star here, much to my pleasure. Of course, I suppose that is to be expected after a year and a half.

Taste - Wonderfully funky, with some faint sourness--maybe more tart--of lemon juice. Musty, damp cellar, woody notes as well as some fresher notes of grass and baby garden greens. There is a pleasant undertone of water crackers and a slight peppery element as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Probably one of the most carbonated beers I've ever had--prickly and effervescent like champagne, but with a heftier body.

Overall, this is easily my favorite offering from Green Flash. It bills itself as an Orval-inspired beer, and I'll say this: the heavy use of Brett and the fact that this beer is wonderful fresh or with a good amount of age on it definitely put it in the same company with Orval. However, to its credit, it is a different and interesting beer in its own right. Just a fantastically imaginative beer from GF and I can't really think of anything in the U.S. that is quite like it--or maybe quite like it and as good.

LambicPentameter, Jan 06, 2014
4.66/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy apricot with a huge, rocky head. Head settles down but maintains a definite presence. Clean, crackery malts with brett all up in the nose. Flavor: pale malts, BRETT, heavy bitterness in the finish. This is awesome. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and feels so light for 7%. Overall holy shit this is less than 10 bucks for a 4 pack??? Lollin at these low reviews. Have these people never tasted brett? This is fucking awesome.

goochpunch, Jul 21, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Shiner Bock pint glass. No freshness date.

A- When I was looking for the freshness date, I was able to see small wisps of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Then, from a gentle pour, comes a massive three inches worth of cream colored head that retains and slowly starts to wrinkle away. Definitely bottle-conditioned. After the third pour, I finally get the bottle emptied and in goes the particles of sediment with thin wisps flowing behind them. This is the way beer is supposed to look.

S- Decadently rich Belgian yeast with a bit of wild bacteria certainly present providing a bit of a medicinal aroma. Some soap. Very crisp.

T- Quite hoppy in the onset, making me wonder if they should've just called it a Belgian IPA (especially considering the ABV), but let's not split hairs cuz this is very tasty! On the second sip, I admit that the Belgian characteristic plays the lead role but there's still that lingering bitterness. I'm glad I chose to pour the sediment in because there's a perfect amount of luscious yeast flavor that I personally love. Malts also put in their piece to provide a sturdy backbone amongst the other flavors. Notes of pepper, mild grapefruit, lemon, herbal spices and green olive.

M- Spot-on with high carbonation but still not too sharp. It's actually quite fluffy and there's a decent-sized body from the malts.

O- Damn, this is delicious. Definitely my favorite Green Flash next to Le Freak. I think they should do more Belgians since they're obviously so good at it.

Immortale25, Mar 07, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Pours honey orange with huge amounts of white head into my Duvel glass. Great head retention and lacing.

S: yeasty, lemon peel, grapefruit, black pepper

T: Amazing. Citrus, black pepper, honey, melon, fruity yeast esters with a nice crisp hoppy finish. It reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum in a way, but with a nice citrus finish that helps balance the sweetness. Hardly any alcohol burn.

Overall: I really, really like this BPA. The fact that I can get it insanely fresh here in San Diego is the icing on the cake.

One of the few beers that have inspired m to write a review in a while. Get some if you can!

loving44, Jun 25, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured into a tulip

A- Funky brett nose. Like a young (to the US) Orval.

A- Pours clear and amber with a huge stock white head that persists.

F- Tart lemon and light earthy funk. Clean taste that surprises given the strong brett nose. Dry and crisp sensation that leaves you wanting more. Absolutely no hot alcohol or phenols. Subdued fruit flavors, almost like tropical fruit and pineapple.

M- High carbonation lifts this off the palate. Dry, but not at all cidery or overly thin.

O- A really nice interpretation of a belgian pale. I highly recommend this, especially to people interested in funky beers, but not ready for or desiring a punch you in the mouth sour beer.

onewetpaw, Feb 26, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a beautiful golden red with lovely head and lacing.

Smell is brett with peach mango and passionfruit hops. Imagine Orval with the hop profile of WCIPA. Awesome.

Taste is so dry. Lots of passionfruit and a kind of Brett-y bitterness. So drinkable.

Mouthfeel is spiderweb-y Brett and then mango/Tripel style tannins.

Overall blown away by this. A really well-conceived Orval tribute and an instant classic.

danieelol, Mar 14, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chalice. Pours clear golden with a large, moderately dissipating white head. Plenty of tiny bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom and side of the glass. There are citrus hop aromas as well as Brett. The beer smells sweet. The citrus from the hops comes first on the taste, but this quickly followed by the Brett. The Brett brings that nice sour flavor. The malt profile is there, bringing some sweetness to this beer that I picked up in the aroma. The flavor profile strongly reminds me of Orval. The body is on the lighter side of medium with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry. This is an excellent beer. I wish I could try this side by side with a fresh Orval for a proper taste comparison.

acevenom, Jul 29, 2012
4.54/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Poured out a hazy, bronze color with a three finger, tan head of long-lasting, bubbly foam. It left sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled funky with phenolic notes. It had some yeasty notes with caramel sweetness.

T - Very phenolic flavor with funkiness and spicy hop bitterness. Good sweet caramel backbone.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry, clean finish.

O - This is fantastic. It's my favorite beer of the year so far.

zeff80, Jan 16, 2012

dimitrov, Jun 01, 2013

wehttam, Apr 15, 2013

sgttibbs, Jan 30, 2014
Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.