Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,354
4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the last 12oz bottling. Enjoyed 9/6/15

Pours golden with a huge rocky head. Aroma and palate follow each other with earthy, mildly fruity funk. Toasty cracker malt character. No acid.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been pet sitting in a different part of Connecticut for the past two weeks. Fortunately for me, that puts me about two miles from the largest liquor store in the state. I was taking my time browsing through the exotic sours/Belgians/European oddities section today when I came across a few bottles of Rayon Vert. I'd always wanted to give it a shot since I love Orval (especially with age on it), so I bought three bottles. Their dates? 07/24/12. That makes these over three years old. Mmmmm, bring on da funk!

Look: The 10 minutes of slowly pouring this foamy monster into a glass was totally worth it. Atop a brassy opaque beer sits possibly the most lusciously fluffy head the world has ever seen. This looks like the top of a root beer float after mixing the vanilla ice cream in. It's white, wispy and beautiful.

Smell: Ohhhh man! I can smell the funk wafting its way over already. On closer nasal inspection, it throws all those crazy bretty barnyard goodies up my nose. Hay, leather, citrus, it's all here!

Taste: Ripe peach and apricot flavors lead into an earthy/funky brett flavor explosion that's backed by a little citrus, clove, and even some hop bitterness. Not quite as tactful as Orval, and there are some hints of metallic bitterness on the finish, which is oh so delightfully dry. But hey, at three years old, it's still quite the beer.

Feel: Mmmmm, luscious. Nice medium carbonation and full-ish body. Nice tingly finish, but I just can't seem to shake that whole metallic thing.

We need more beers like this. I think the modern interpretation would be to dry hop the shit out of it with some new world hops, maybe Galaxy or Citra? I'll probably drink another one of these within a few weeks, but I think I'm going to cellar that last bottle for a long time.

PS. I love brett burps. So funkayy

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours bright gold – a very slight chill haze that disappears as the beer warms. Has a very rocky 3” finely bubbled white foam collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: Resiny, piney hops backed by citrus and light bread.
T: Blends Belgian yeast flavors ripe and over ripe fruit, a light dose of funk, with a West Coast hop character and pale ale malts for a very balanced blend of flavors. Starts with a light sweetness and finishes dry and refreshing.
F: Very creamy, luscious and soft in the mouth with the kind of texture only Brett can produce.
O: A well designed and well balanced of West Coast meets Belgium.

3.54/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fruity aroma has a yeasty overtone and a malty underpinning. Pours a pretty clear amber with a very thick and fluffy eggshell head. Sharp flavor is fruity and a little sour, with malty and yeasty undertones and a hint of woody hops. Smooth, firm texture has a subtle but persistent tingle and leaves a fruity, slightly hoppy finish. Overall, decent.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

I love a good Belgian so of course I had try this one... Pours a thick, foamy head that settles after a few minutes. Has a nice look, but the smell has a slightly sour note to it... Taste wise, it gives off an initially promising flavor that is almost immediately followed by a less appealing funky aftertaste... Good carbonation with a crisp mouth-feel though... Unfortunately, I just can't get past the aftertaste. When I think Belgian pale ale, I think Duvel, and this beer just doesn't do it for me. I'd still say that you might want to give it try anyway-- God knows I've tried far worse and I'm sure you have too... Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Effervescent and crisp. head dissipates quickly. orange/amber borderline in color. earthy, musty, hoppy scent. "horseblanket" brett'ey on the nose and palate. Very brett forward. Possible age on the 4 pack I purchased. Drinks very nice. Though, would love a fresh take on this.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Came gushing out of the bottle despite no agitation. Has a dark golden color with several inches of head. Smell is of fruits, yeast, funk. Taste is funky, spicy, malts, some fruits, different but good. Feels medium-full in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Golden orange with ridiculously massive, clingy head that keeps climbing despite my best efforts to stop it. Patience required.

Smell: Definitely Brett aroma with loads of barnyard funk. Some spicy hops as well.

Taste: Strong Brett taste as well - funky and earthy. The malts are rich but soft. Strong spicy hop presence.

Feel: Highly carbonated body that is extremely light. Very dry, tart finish.

Overall: Awesome Brett beer at less than $2.50 a bottle. Great stuff.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle review part II. bottled on 07-03-12. consumed over 2 years later.

head forms as soon as the cap is off. this thing had some action going on inside it over the past two years. getting the barny aroma and that is about it. a little musty as well. drinks mildly tart with a little barnyness and then get bone dry. really, really, really fucking dry. i cant find anything on there except the mildest of yeast bitterness bite. carb has definitely picked up with time, might have had my first sample very close to its bottling date and had not given the conditioning enough time to kick in. held up very well over time and true to its label stating that it is continually evolving. i actually cant say for sure they are still making this brand (couldn't find anything on their website), so it perhaps would be worth it to snatch up any seen on shelves!

12oz bottle into tulip. cant seem to locate a bottled on date.

A: a very hazy, very orange looking brew. the head is quite voluminous and wont allow me to pour the entire bottle at once. head is big and fluffy and has great retention. lacing is good.

S: chalky, earthy, boatloads of yeast esters. little barny-hay, dry action going on here.

T: black pepper, tart dryness. cantaloupe. yeasty esters. dry finish. lemony.

M: mouthfeel is a little flatter than i would imagine/like. medium bodied.

D: pretty tasty shit. dry, refreshing. reminds me of Orval, but not quite on that level. worth picking up.

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

Green Flash Brewing was recommended to me by one of my fellow beerethren on BeerAdvocate, and so my journey with them begins with Rayon Vert, a Belgian style Pale Ale with Brettanomyces (a yeast strain) which is often in the viticulture and beer brewing industries seen as a contaminant and can impart: Barnyard, antiseptic, clove, smoke and rancid flavours into a brew (desired or no). As 'Brett' is a wilder strain than regular brewer’s yeast it can also account for a wider variability between batches, I'm just hoping this isn't a fully sour beer (I've had enough sour beers lately thank you).

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: WARNING: Green Flash Rayon Vert WILL explode out of the bottle as soon as you open it! Thankfully I've become wise enough in my old beer-drinking age to open beers near the kitchen sink. The body is a cloudy tangerine with a 1 inch cream head that slowly recedes leaving sticky lace all over the glass.

S: The influence of Brett is bold with this brew, there are notes of barnyard, rancid apple, orange sherbet and antiseptic all over this Ale. Also noted is a hint of sweet malt and some herbal hops but really the yeast takes an almighty dump all over the aroma and I for one am not looking forward to this next part.

T: Hmmm, better and much more balanced than expected. Yes it's slightly tart from the yeast but there are other flavours at play here; funky and sweet orange sherbet in the mid palate with vinous characters and a long dry Champagne-like finish. After taste is where the hops give a silent citric nod (just to let you know that they're always watching you).

M: Mid to light bodied with a wild carbonation (hence the explosion on opening).

D: This is one beer that just got better and better (aside from the OTT carbonation). I will admit I'm not a big fan but I can see the merits of this brew and I might in the future give it another go (as long as I'm near a sink when opening of course). It could have used more sweetness is my final verdict.

Food match: Hard to nail this one due to that odd funky orange sherbet note, it would however match Thai or South East Asian cuisine (the zesty flavours of which would become a match for it).

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

I almost gave this a 5 for appearance, except the towering fluffy head would be mare at home on a tripel than on a Belgian ale. Nice yeasty aroma some floral notes, a hazy copper orange body, taste is yeast and some mellow hoppiness. Overall a great attempt at the Belgian style.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Rarely can I find a beer that successfully marries sourness with hops. As someone who dislikes hops in general, anytime a beer has a powerful hops flavor it tends to be overpowering. Rayon Vert, however, finds a way to balance a powerful sourness with a powerful hops flavor and does so with both finesse and strength. Well done!

4.46/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Cloudy orange.

Smell: Spices, yeast, citrus and floral notes.

Taste: Grapefruit is what I got. Along with yeast, fizziness and brett, apparently. (had to look it up to see what it was that I couldn't pin point. Being my second brett beer, I'm not yet familiar with the style.) But I enjoyed it and find the brett to add a unique dynamic.

Mouthfeel: Light body and high carbonation. Also pretty dry.

Overall: Excellent.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

We have a winner of the beauty pageant right here. Voluptuous off-white head that stays full and bouncy. Golden orange in color. Smells spicy with the yeast shining through the middle, accompanied by light fruits (apple, orange). Tastes of fruit juice backed with notes of grain and faint brett funk. Dry all the way through and just plain easy drinking. Session this, session that, blah, blah, blah, blah...session this!

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

What a bretty beast... Pours a murky orange with a huge bubbly head. Brett barnyard funk dominates the nose, with some spice and a hint of fruit. Those same things are fully present in the taste, along with coriander and even a bit of a cardamom. A bit astringent. Crisp medium mouth without a lot of carbonation. It's not as refined and balanced as Orval, but nonetheless good if you're a brett head.

3.87/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 bottle sampled June 2014

APP- Massive ivory tower of head fills the glass despite coddling the pour. Billows into a tight, creamy, mesa that peaks over the rim of the glass and includes both fine and large beading. Fades fairly quickly leaving sheets of lace. When some finally turns to liquid, clarity is very good but short of brilliant and color is brassy.

AROMA- Amazingly soft and subtle complex perfumey nose. Where to begin? Citrus, white pepper, straw, green melon, hints of fermeted peach and apricot, light hits of kiwi and rhubarb. Has a big clover dimension which I find to be the mark of my favorite Cantillion offerings. Amazing. Very fresh and inviting. There is nothing even remotely dank, musty, sour, etc...in the aroma here. Medium-light floral/ spicy character that is key to the bouquet but hard to pin down. No diacetyl or harsh alcohol. Not immediately recognizable as hoppy, like when its fresh.

Flavor- Malty- sweetness pervades, surprisingly, with a strong tone of white pepper and pineapple, melon shows up again, as does a faint shadow of rhubarb, slight fusel/acetate note, a fleeting rubbery (oxidized phenol?) character. I get a medium-stong English-Goldings like character (apple, pear, spicy) in the mid-palate, tartness cows to sweentness in the balance but does show up in the backend along with some bitterness. Long finish with a distinctly resinous aftertaste.

MF- solidly medium-bodied, medium carbonation once things settle down (its amazing how quickly the fizz leaves this beer), can be a little flabby on the palate, and also lightly astringent at the same time. I do believe it shows some oxidation effects.

OVERALL- While this might be one of the best beers I've ever smelled, its flavor is a bit messy, despite having some very pleasing characteristics. If this is one to lay down, two years is either too long or some sort of awkward phase.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this one for a while. Got it as an extra prior to Green Flash entering MN. Looks like it was bottled 7/12.

Pours extremely carbonated. Several fingers of head from a small pour.

The brett seems to have developed. Aroma is mostly a tart apple skin aroma.

Taste is toasted malts with green apple and slight barnyard funk. Brett has really come out.

Qualities of a pale with lots of brett.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So much foam. I had to pay extra attention on the second bottle to make sure I hadn't just goofed it the first time around; but it does actually pour with a 5 finger head.

The smell may be the best part of this beer, it's bright, citrusy and funky like wet hay. The taste is all funk, with a little more malt than you'd expect.

Overall, just okay. Not the brewery's best effort.

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a just gorgeous hazy orange, may be the prettiest color I have ever seen a beer be, 5 finger??? head. Has Brett in it so it does not surprise me.

Smell is lemon, sour green apple, barnyard funk, lime, herbal, sharp spruce, earthy malt

Taste is really funky, lemon, lime, herbal funk, spicy yeast, sweet malt, orange rind, definitely some tart cider.

Mouthfeel is medium light, huge carbonation, slight dryness on the finish.

WOW, I can not believe I never grabbed this before, did not know this one was funky! What a pleasant surprise. I heard they were discontinuing 4 packs of this.... I do not like that, I could not take down a whole bomber that is for sure.

I may have to go buy my store out of 4 packs of this! Should be good for a few years!

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Green Flash (rayon vert means green ray or green flash) has produced a complex ode to Belgian Pale Ale that while a little funky, and perhaps not every bottle is perfect, must be taken seriously. A great brewer.

A: Appearance is a wow as is everything about this beer. I'm getting it again. Apricot body, with an explosive head, that mounts like meringue above my tulip when only 1/2 the 12 oz bottle is carefully poured at cellar temp. "It's evolving" says the bottle, it's alive says I. Nice. Once settled leaves tons of lace and the brew itself is nicely under carbonated. Better than Rochefort. 4.5

S: Complex. Yeast, very musty, and a bit of cider precede a parade of orange / lemon orchard filled with flower store back notes, and a peppery, grassy soup simmering in the back room. Will be too must for some.

T: Follow the smell, Musty, yeasty, cidery start, that is a blend of sour apples and citrus zests.
Briny, minerals with metallic bitterness, blend with spices and fruit. Despite the must it remains zesty, bright, pin point, peppery and upbeat with a long long peppery bitter finish. Loads of complexity like the real thing, like an Orval, but different.

MF: Creamy w malty richness and soft carbonation. It finishes like a great wine, with a dry and warm finish plus as only a beer can, complexity, an aftertaste of lime bitterness and must. Yet it all works.

O: Would I drink this at cellar temperate along with my favorite belgians? Yes, not quite as round, or fruit intense, not quite as red-wine like, but all the upper notes are here, and then some original ones. Bravo. A must try. Not disappointed. Warm warm warm.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Belgian goblet. This beer is inspired by Orval and is indeed alive with funk, more so than its more esteemed Trappist progenitor. I have yet to encounter so much head on a beer ... The entire glass is filled with soft beige bubbles and subsequent pours are just as billowing as the first. The head does calm down if you wait a moment and like Orval is savagely bitter if you wish to taste it alone. Color is a honey orange-amber, rather cloudy. Smells compelling. I get ample Brettanomyces funk, bubble gum, orchard fruit, banana, mixed spices, dish soap, leather, and citrus rind ... Very astringent, spicy, sour, fruity, dry. The number of flavor elements I register is quite staggering, although this takes some mindfulness and a willingness to brave the tannic dry bitterness and funk that pervades the proceedings from start to finish. There's a sweet sugar cookie and sour gummy candy malt backbone buried underneath 1) pie cherries, peach, banana, grape, watermelon rind, and lemon-lime fruit notes, 2) nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, and ginseng spice flavors, 3) floral rosewater and lemongrass, and 4) bandage and horse blanket phenolic/funk elements. Medium bodied with aggressive yet not prickly carbonation ... Beneath the head the beer is actually quite creamy and smooth. Finish is bone dry and the whole thing makes you thirsty, truth be told. This dryness is a hallmark of an Orval-style Belgian pale though. This brew is a polarizer, with some considering it the second coming while others decry it as overrated and crude. The truth is somewhere in the middle, as is typically the case. Rayon Vert is a personal favorite of mine. It is indeed jagged and coarse at times, lacking the Old World comeliness of Orval, but on the other hand, I can also appreciate the robust flavors and unabashed funkiness. Drink what floats your boat.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a hazy golden with a white head. This one had tons of foam, so it may have been infected.

S: Funky Belgian yeast, sour cherry, peach and maybe tropical fruit in the nose.

T: Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, sour cherries, peach, papaya, funky Belgian yeast.

M: Medium bodied with a foamy but smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is huge but soft.

O: Mouthfeel and a bit too much bitterness tarnish an otherwise really tasty beer. Still somewhat recommended. I did like the beer.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: A lot of carbonation, too much - tends to happen with brett, Huge, rocky, white head with big bubbles at start. There was so much foam that I couldn't pour the whole bottle at once. And on the second pour the head got even more ridiculously. The head has a very slow retention, mostly stays (thick layer) - well a fucking mountain with a big valley stayed. Had to wait for a while to even start to drink. Leaves behind good amount of random lacing. Color is golden amber with some haze. Looks light, fizzy and quite alive.

Smell: Berry, cherry, forest fruits acidity. Musty, funk. A relatively strong medicinal note with some pine, floral and herbal notes to follow. Light caramel sweetness. Everything makes a sharp, fresh, complex and interesting combo.

Taste: Funk (mostly leathery) steps up a notch and acidity tuned a bit down. Nice light caramel backbone followed with medium pine, grapefruit bitterness which stays for a while. Still some medicinal notes and some metallic ones come with a few sips. Light herbal, floral notes hidden beneath.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, feels less because of relatively high carbonation. Dry.

Overall: Well, yes, it's a Belgian ale. Some mix of bitter, light sour and gueuze. Carbonation flew too high on this one, the funk is fun and dynamic, medicinal part kinda off but overall complex and interesting one.

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle with no date (dust on it, but I was looking for it aged) into a Burley Oak snifter

A: A nice hazy copper/straw body with a thick foamy head that got to at least 4 fingers. It is quite long-lasting. Lots of visible effervescence in the glass.

S: Interesting smell, it is almost medicinal. I can't place it. I've never experienced this smell in a beer before. A bit floral and fruity as well.

T: Refreshing. It's quite floral. Some nice fruity esters throughout it. Nice and light on the palate.

M: Quite smooth with only the slightest tickling of bubbles.

O: I bet this is even better fresh. Quite good for the probable year or two on it. Now I really can't wait to open my three year old Orval.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle in between 1-2 years old.

A: HUGE fluffy head. Currently just smelling and waiting for it to dissipate. Copper color is best I can describe the color. Tantalizing.

S: Barnyard funk, acidic, tart cherries galore. The brett has definitely done it's work here.

T: Taste does not follow the nose as much as I expected. Spicy with some real funk. Herbal, woodsy and lemon.

M: Medium bodied with a nice, dry finish.

O: The Brett has worked wonders on this. Complex in the nose and taste and it all rounds out to a relatively clean beer in the end. I'll get this again.

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.