Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 425 | Hads: 1,350
1.67/5  rDev -57.6%

Tastes like olive brine, drain cleaner and perfume, all mixed together. Slight funk, probably from a souring bacteria or wild yeast, and a heavy phenolic presence I associate with infected homebrew. Those flavors combine with the massive hopping to create an artificial perfumey-chemical aroma and flavor. It's interesting, and tastes better if you keep trying and get used to it, but it never gets past 'horribly infected' to me. (430 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -57.4%

CLOUDY ORANGE WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF HEAD ON A LESS THAT VIGOROUS POUR INTO MY STOLZLE TULIP FROM A SINGLE BOTTLE FROM FAMOUS IN LOMBARD. A BIT OF ANTICIPATION BRINGING IT TO MY NOSE, A LITTLE BISCUIT, A LITTLE CITRUS , A LITTLE UNFAMILIAR, BUT TO MY LIPS THE TASTE PUSHED IT OVER THE EDGE. ALL YOU BRETT LOVERS WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ME DECREASING THE WORLD WIDE SUPPLY OF BEERS WITH BRETT . IT COULD BE TOP NOTCH BUT NOT WITH THESE FLAVORS. TRYING TO BE OPEN MINDED, BUT THIS STUFF SLAMS THE DOOR SHUT. DARE I SAY NOT A REPEAT. SORRY GREEN FLASH! AS I CONTINUE TO SIP IT, IT ISN'T GROWING ON ME. TO ME TASTE SAYS IT ALL (625 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -55.1%

This beer tasted like it was brewed with dirty socks. At first it was okay, but the warmer it got, the more unbearable the taste became. It tasted more like some kind of strange, bitter hard alcohol than a beer... not something I plan on buying again. (251 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -51.3%

Pours a pale yellow with a head that's at least 40% of the glass when poured by a pro... have napkins ready if you're less practiced or if any of your guests aren't forewarned.

The odor is strong and medicinal -- the closest we could come up with was somewhere between a lemon dish soap and, as noted by the server, vaguely reminiscent of a freshly opened plastic Band-aid.

The taste was much better than the smell ... but there was enough taste that matched the odor to make it hard to pull out the details a more refined palate might notice.

Mouthfeel was light and pleasant. (580 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured into an Allagash flute on 4/4/12

Pale, watery caramel brown; medium depth. In a classic "Uh-oh?" moment I'm contending with a head of foam that easily bests four fingers (and the brim of the glass). The head deflates to about a finger's worth but doesn't leave much lace, save a few pepperings here and there. Lace catches more halfway through the glass.

Wow, the aroma is bad. Pale malt trappings and dollops of light fruit are burdened with a wretched vegetal presence that ruins everything. Amid herbs and spices is a pervassive cooked veggie aroma that manages to smell simultaneously steamed, burnt and rotten. Sometimes it smells like an herb garden, sometimes it smells like nursing home kitchen dish pans soaking in water.

Rayon Vert tastes just as unsettling. Onion, herbs, wet grass, pine, and tangy, over-ripe fruit notes. Quite like perfume, too. Zesty citric tones sit underneath and move forward a bit as it warms up.

Medium body with average carbonation. It's kind of gritty, though. The finish is actually ok; juicy citrus notes emerge at that point. Well, some bitterness does linger, too.

Rayon Vert is an good study in palate desensitization and/or acclimation. I started off hating it, then didn't mind it quite as much. Toward the end of the bottle I find myself tired of it. I wouldn't be inclined to drink this again. (1,352 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured an ounce or two into a pint... ended up with 1/2 inch of beer and about a 5 inch head. Far too much carbonation, IMO. Very spicy. Tingly. The first thing that came to mind about the taste was "dish soap." Really, not good. Big letdown from GF... I'm a big fan of their other stuff. I'll try it again... maybe it was a bad batch? (335 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

When poured the color was a deep yellow with orange hue and a load of white foam. Pour very slowly because of the foam.

The smell was of spices and bitter type of hops

The flavor of this pale ale was the worst I've had from Green Flash. It was to bitter for this bitter ale and the flavor was over bitter with a vinal taste. The aftertaste on the palate was way to bitter with that vinal flavor. What happen to the aroma? The flavor does not match aroma! (456 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint.

A - hazy orange.thick froth like head that has huge retention.

S - Burnt plastic....maybe a little spicy and sour...

T - Super carbonated...spicey,peppery....getting some cardamom....but overall this plastic like smell is drowning the rest out...ugh. Compared to the ommegang farmhouse saison, this is pretty bad...im disappointed :\

M- creamy...too carbonated for me though, wow.

Overall, this beer wasn't for me...the plastic like smell and taste drowned everything out to me... (508 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -37.3%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle ( bottled 7/3/13) into a pint glass, Um...a gentle pour yields 3/4 of a glass of frothy off white foam on a layer orange amber colored cloudy liquid

S: bubblegum and apple, cider-like aromas, caramel

T: Sour apple, something is wrong here

M: very high carbonation

O: Is this beer supposed to taste like this or is something wrong? I don't like the sour apple hop funk taste. (408 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

POUR OVER A SINK OR OUTDOORS! Even with a cautious pour, it turns to a torrent of foam as soon as it hits the glass - impossible to pour without stopping to let it settle or overfill the glass. With a bottle conditioned beer, I chose to let it overflow to keep from disturbing the yeast sediment. Strike 1 for me. One thing I really don't enjoy in the appearance of my beer is seeing it overflowing into the sink. When it all settles, bubbles race up the golden amber liquid to maintain a airy sudsy layer that almost resembles sea foam.

The aroma of peaches and apricots hits first, with hints of green grapes. If you keep inhaling deeply, classic sour brett aromas cut through these light fruity scents. Lemony undertones. Perfumy. Their model for this is Orval, and the aroma is definitely reminiscent of the abbey beer. It is a refreshing aroma that is inviting in the summer heat.

The taste is a let down. Pretty one-dimensional - I mainly just get that brett sourness that is completely overpowering - it has sort of that sour cherry flavor to it that comes with this yeast. No real fruity complexity or malt flavors come through. If you wait long enough, you can almost get a hint of bread crust from the malt, but the sourness clings relentlessly to your tongue. No hop discernible presence, though, but I can't even taste anything through the relentless sourness that is starting to make me cringe with every sip. The more I drink this the more I want to dump it. The smell of perfume can be nice, but I don't enjoy drinking it. The mouthfeel is just foamy and bubbly with puckering sourness that doesn't let up.

The one dimensional sourness and over-carbonation really let you down after getting such a nice refreshing aroma from this beer. I am going to be generous with my overall score because I did enjoy the aroma. I won't be coming back for it though. This makes the press release for this beer look even more absurd. Add on their unjustified price increases, and I am just about done with Green Flash.

For anyone who sees this and is thinking maybe I just don't like the style, I love Orval (just not the price tag). (2,138 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -36%

I tried this at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. $5 for a 12oz bottle served in a small brandy snifter.

It took awhile to see what color it was because the entire glass filled up with frothy white foam from top to bottom. After a 10 minute wait (I'm not exaggerating) about half the foam dissipated showing a honey/orange liquid. Lacing was good but the retention bordered on being ridiculous.

The beer had a hoppy citrus smell.

Complex mix of flavors that just don't work well together. It's both bitter and sweet, fruity and funky, but the resulting taste is like a bitter medicinal band-aid dipped in fruity alcohol. I didn't care for it at all.

Between light and medium bodied with very high carbonation.

One reviewer thought it tasted like a dirty sock. I won't go that far, but I didn't much care for it either. (819 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -32.2%

Brett, yeast, apples, pears, spices, and well....this is a pretty good example of American's doing a Belgian pale ale. The carbonation and body are both wonderful. Sadly I'm not a huge fan of these flavors. There's an almost scotch like element mixed in with fruity and sour notes. I don't like how this all blends as far as flavors go. (336 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -31%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy copper amber with a big rocky off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready malts with spicy earthy yeasty notes and a touch of brett as it warms.

The flavor is subdued - watery earthy malts and a little fruit with spicy floral hops that linger in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery with lots of sharp carbonation.

Overall, I haven't really liked the Belgian IPAs, and this is not a great rendition of one (watery, subdued). I didn't pick up much brett - a little came out as it warmed. (566 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.7%

I didn't like this bottle, fresh from Pizza Port Carlsblad store. So if you disagree you needn't read any further. A light golden body with a white foamy 3/8" head, lacy. Funky aroma - armpit sweat, menthol, my socks wt and used. The taste is comparable to floor wax, foot liniment, and pepper. Lots of menthol build up as I drink further into it, but it is not all that drinkable and I am forcing myself. Crazy stuff. (418 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -28.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a De Molen beer stemflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average; this brewery has impressed me in the past. Served refrigerator cold.

A: Pours a two finger head of decent cream, good thickness, and great retention - especially considering the above average ABV. Colour is a nontransparent murky copper. Not unique nor special, but generally appealing.

Sm: A moderately strong aroma of unexpected brett funkiness, sourness, wild yeast, and vague light hints of citrus esters. Very unexpected and interesting for a pale ale. I really didn't see that coming at all. I'm intrigued.

T: The funkiness is tonal and light, but unmistakably present, reaching its naked apex in the finish. It's yeasty without feeling sedimentary. In fact, yeast may be its main note alongside the vague malts and buried hints of citrus. Atypical and interesting for the style, but also simple and boring - even a bit bland. Bring out the funkiness or the malts. The flavours are muted rather than subtle - to its detriment (and my chagrin). No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some cream on the finish. Not too thick or too thin per se, but it never feels quite right. It should be a bit lighter on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. This boring pale ale from Green Flash intrigues with its funkiness, but quickly grows tired when it offers little else.

(1,466 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle: solid brown 650mL longneck, with an acceptable non-macro label.

Appearance: even though I poured gently, this erupted into a veritable fountain of head. Once it had settled, it had a good, hazy mid-straw colouring with a thick and creamy head.

Aroma: there is a definite funky yeast up front, with remnants of fruity hops in the background, and some earthen flavours. Quite muted for the style, probably due to the explosion of head.

Taste: this beer takes a serious dive in this department - there are some pleasant Belgian ale qualities here - Belgian yeasts, earthen and spiced flavours - but they are overpowered by a truly unpleasant and pungent off-yeasty dirty flavour coming from the head.

Aftertaste: once the head had dissipated to almost nothingness and took away that dreadful taste carried through it, this is quite a decent Belgian pale. Those flavours that came across on the nose carry through here, with Belgian yeasts taking the main stage. Much better.

Mouth feel: no complaints here - with a medium body and fine but steady carbonation.

Overall: for AU$13 (2013) a bottle, I was getting ready for a quality Belgian ale. What I got was an exploding head that tastes like off yeast and dirt, and the distinct impression that I would have been far better off with a better and far cheaper alternative such as Leffe, Grimbergen, Kwak or Gouden Carolus. A truly unimpressive beer. (1,410 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Received a 12 FL. OZ. bottle of this in a trade w/ amacho1. Poured from the Blue labeled bottle w/ the normal Green Flash scene into my 0.3L La Fin Du Monde Tulip Glass. Has no freshness date on the bottle.

Aroma- Has a big time spice and peppery aroma from the beginning. Light hops and malt follow up but spice and floral characteristics. Not sure I've smelt something like this before...

Appearance- Pours a 3.5 finger, frothy head that keeps for a long amount of time. Has a amber/copper colored body with semi-haziness. Leaves thick lacing behind that coats the entire glass.

Flavor- Light, soft fruits hit the palate with a ton of Belgian hops (whatever that means). I'm going to say its in between an American hop and English hop character level. Has a ton of malty sweetness with some biscuity notes. A light-medium bitterness level finishes it off.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium bodied, HIGHLY carbonated, Smooth, but then finishes with a musky finish on the palate. Did not find this finish to be enjoyable at all.

Overall Impression- From the beginning of the pour, this was a strange brew! I'm not sure what a "Belgian Pale Ale" should be but this guy was abnormal! The musky finish, non-characterstical hop flavor, and unusual carbonation levels did not make any positive influence on my review of this one. Won't be going back to this one again! Thanks for the try Alex and if you haven't had this one yet, your not missing out... (1,448 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

I love a good Belgian so of course I had try this one... Pours a thick, foamy head that settles after a few minutes. Has a nice look, but the smell has a slightly sour note to it... Taste wise, it gives off an initially promising flavor that is almost immediately followed by a less appealing funky aftertaste... Good carbonation with a crisp mouth-feel though... Unfortunately, I just can't get past the aftertaste. When I think Belgian pale ale, I think Duvel, and this beer just doesn't do it for me. I'd still say that you might want to give it try anyway-- God knows I've tried far worse and I'm sure you have too... Cheers! (629 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

Bottled 03JUL12

So, I knew this would be overcarbed, but this was stupid. It took a pitcher to pour this 12oz bottle. Nice clear golden underneath. Retained none of the foam once it died down. Smells nice with raisin, pale belgian yeast character, some hints of grain and metal and a bit of bitterness; some green apple skins and meat come through as it warms. Flavor is fruity, apple, lemon, honeydew and grain, some clay and a touch of strep mutans (maybe that's my mouth though). Medium bodied with now minimal carb and an off dry finish. Meh, would like to try fresh because this didn't do well with the age IMO. (617 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle poured into Dogfish Head tulip pint glass.

A- Two finger head after semi-aggressive pour. Nice creamy head that has good retention. A good amount of lacing as well. Color is typical of the style.

S- Citrusy hops, malt, and a little bit of funk brought on by the brett.

T- Taste follows nose. I dig the funky yeast, but other than that it's a simple pale ale.

M- Smooth creamy mouth feel. I would say the body is medium. Goes down smooth.

O- A good attempt at a Belgian Pale Ale, but it's lacking on overall flavor. Maybe I have met my Lupulin threshold. Enjoyed the one, but won't be seeking it out in the near future. (636 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

2012 batch, poured from the bottle into a tall snifter glass.

A - Holy crap! This is one crazy thick head. I poured this so slowly and carefully and I still had to wait for the head to die down a bit before getting the final third of the bottle in there. When I popped the cap I actually saw a head form and race toward the top of the bottle. Gargantuan head has excellent retention with pretty solid lacing. Pours a hazy copper tone with a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

S - Savory spices and sea salt. Bready yeast and a pretty heavy mossy aroma. I can also pick up a hint of lemon peel and grassy hops. Super earthy.

T - Very bitter right up front, although most of the initial flavor is heavily subdued by the thick carbonation. Yeast is very apparent and the earthy hops comes through as it rolls towards the back of your tongue. Finish is dry and has a grassy bite at first, but as the beer warmed it sweetened up significantly.

M - Extremely fizzy...a bit too distracting I'd say. Light body, not the most drinkable beer.

O - It's a tough beer to rate. Did I enjoy it? Yes. I really did, but the carbonation was just too overpowering. It left the beer unbalanced and it became the focus with every sip. I really liked the beer a lot more once it warmed up. I'll leave the bottle out a bit before drinking the next one in fact. Overall, it's pretty good, but definitely not amazing. (1,407 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18%

A - ginormous head on initial pour, nice lacing, good retention, murky straw color, lots of bubbles

S - very funky - Brett, very fruity, pepper

T - Brett, barnyard funky leather, orange, hops, pepper

M - full, well carbonated

O - I despise Brett, that said, the brewer did a good job of integrating it into this brew, the fruit and hops provide a nice balance

That said, I still despise Brett. (398 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Thanks to thetomG for the share. Served in a FFF/Intelligentsia snifter.

A - A big white foam that settles to a thin collar, leaving behind minimal lacework. Hazy peach juice body with a hint of transparency to it.

S - Big earthy and dirty brett, citrus and tropical fruit hops, somewhat musty with a bit of plastic and playdough, some yeasty bread.

T - Pretty similar, with tropical fruit hops, pale malt sweetness, and some musty, medicinal brett. A bit of dirty funk and plastic - don't care for the house brett strain much.

M - Medium-bodied, lower carbonation, chewy and sticky texture, and a slightly dry finish.

D - Reminded me a lot of Green Flash Treasure Chest. It's fairly easy to drink, but the house brett strain produces some flavors I don't enjoy - too medicinal, with more plastic and band-aid than I like. (827 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Picked up at the COOP a couple nights ago.. off white head blooms up to an easy 3"... too much!! The brew is fairly clear light orange... the head takes FOREVER to die back.. great lacing.

The nose is definitely bretty... more than I was expecting.. dusty green apple skins.. something that I associate with lemon zest.. or even Lemon Pledge.. lite fusel alcohols... minor peppery notes and a bit more apricot with warmth.

Ridiculously dry... light plastic/vinyl phenols with warmth.. light lemon.. the RIGID drying almost tannic quality of this beer is not gonna be for everybody including me...

Carbonation is almost abrasive.. the body is light magnified by the huge CO2.

I respect this beer and appreciate the brett character, but it is just over the top.

Not my cup of beer.

3.25/3.5/3.25/3/3 (804 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.8%

very attractive glowing golden color with a sizable almost white head that sticks around for a while and laces among the best.

peppery yeast, a bit of band-aid astringency, a bit funky, a bit hoppy.

again, the damn band-aid adhesive sticks out, but underneath that there is plenty of peppery yeast, bitter hops, crackery malts.

medium bodied with an abundance of prickly carbonation and a lingering acrid flavor.

definitely not for me. flavors just do not mesh well. (470 characters)

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.