1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

From a bottle with no date on it. Considering the Green Flash has been dating their bottles for a while now, who knows how old this is. They haven't been distributing to Florida for more than about 7 months now though, and I picked up a bottle from a Total Wine that just opened a couple weeks ago, so I have no idea.

It pours a hazy orange amber color with a huge foamy head. Tons of lacing and excellent retention.
It smells old. The brettanomyces are definitely very present, leading me to believe this bottle is indeed old. Very rustic, funky aroma. Slightly fruity and spicy.
The taste is slightly tart and very funky. Some floral hop presense, and some caramel malts. Overall the taste is just dominated by the brett. It is highly carbonated and finishes smooth and dry.

The brett flavor I get here is nice, but not quite the same as what I get from an aged bottle of Orval. Still, seeing as this is half the price and still pretty similar, it's a good option. Orval is possibly my favorite beer in the world, and Rayon Vert is a good homage.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Amber hue. Large cascading, frothy head. Settles slowly, and unevenly. Spotty lacing.

S: Pine resin, and lots of lemon citrus. Lavender, fermented raspberry, and freshly cut grass.

T: Bitter pine and hay, with just a slight hint of raspberry.

M: Crisp and steely. Bitter throughout, with a very dry finish.

D: The bitterness will dictate a sipping experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Amber hue, with a large head and some slight lacing. Nose is really piney, accentuated with citrus and other fruit notes, with a really floral character. Bitter pine and hay with a touch of fruit. Overall, this is a good quaff.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

When I opened the bottle I immediately put my nose to the lip. I get a ton of the yeast. I like this horse-blanket smell.

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. I get a ton of foam on the pour. I recommend letting the beer settle for a minute after opening, or be patient until your first sip. The upside is clumpy foam making for some cloud-like lacing on the side of my glass.

I really enjoy the smell coming off the top of this glass. You get some really good saison like sour quality. I also detect a little bit of spicyness. There wasn't any hoppiness that I could pick up.

The flavor is a little bit of a challenge. I get a decent amount of bitterness. This is one of those beers that smells much better than the taste.

Overall this was a good beer, but it is a challenging drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a huge head that fades very slowly with lots of lacing.

S: Aroma of yeast, fruity, with some banana, spice.

T: Taste of banana, vanilla spice with a mild fruity sweetness and spice. has sort of a tart bitterness and an unexpected dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth and creamy. No hint of the 7% ABV. This beer is quite complex with a lot going on.

O: Very enjoyable beer, better than I expected. worth checking out.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a golden yellow-orange color with a massive head that takes a while to die down

S: Definitely get some Belgian yeast and brett character at first, imparting nice fruity and sour notes. Light malts are faintly noticed

T: Follows the nose, nice and fruity with just enough brett character to leave behind faint horse blanket and sourness. Also get some bitterness, possibly from hops into the finish

M: Moderate bodied with moderate carbonation, fairly standard

O: This is a great example of an American brewery pulling off a Belgian pale with brett character. The brett doesn't overwhelm the palate or any of the other flavors of the beer. Solid job by GF here

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

A gentle pour fills the glass with foam. As the foam settles down, The beer in the glass is a light amber color. As expected, the foamy white head has excellent retention, and lacing. The aroma has green apples, citrus, pepper, leather, and Brett.

Very nice flavor to this beer. There is some sweetness, bitterness, and some funk. The flavors I can pick out are oranges, citrus zest, pepper, Brett, and green apple.

Light to medium bodied, well carbonated, with a dry finish and citrus zest aftertaste. A really nice Belgian Pale Ale. I definitely need to try this again.

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 6/19/12

A - Fairly clear amber with an enormous head. Only fit about half the bottle into the glass even with an extremely slow pour.

S - Yeasty phenolics, light brett, spice, citrus hops, some fruit with wheat malt.

T - Citrus hops, very fruity, apple, pear, pepper spice, musty, yeast phenolics and a light brett touch.

M - Extremely carbonated, maybe a tad too much. Very dry.

D - Almost a bolder Orval without the sweet candi sugar. A tasty version of the pale with a touch of funk.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Mmmm Brettanomyces. Good thing I poured very slow because the head is 3 fingers thick and doesn't dissipate very quickly. Still couldn't fit the entire bottle into the tulip. The color of the beer is a deep coppery/orange. Lightly hazed, with lively carbonation. Wonderful Brett aroma, tart, floral, soapy, with a strong hop balance. I get notes of sour apple, lemon, and bubblegum. I could smell this for awhile.

Lemony tang with plenty of yeasty Brett in the taste and semi-sweet malt. The finish has a sharp cheddary bitterness. As expected, the carbonation is almost violent, and seemingly stings the tongue with each sip. Not a problem though, I kinda like that. The body feels pretty clean, and not too heavy.

This beer has an intense flavor profile, and if you like Brettanomyces I would highly recommend it. With the strong hoppiness I would label it more of a Belgian IPA really. I like the aging potential here, so I think I might buy a couple more bottles. Too bad I waited so long to try this. I guess I've been down on Green Flash lately, but this is a step in the right direction.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.