Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into Dogfish Head tulip pint glass.

A- Two finger head after semi-aggressive pour. Nice creamy head that has good retention. A good amount of lacing as well. Color is typical of the style.

S- Citrusy hops, malt, and a little bit of funk brought on by the brett.

T- Taste follows nose. I dig the funky yeast, but other than that it's a simple pale ale.

M- Smooth creamy mouth feel. I would say the body is medium. Goes down smooth.

O- A good attempt at a Belgian Pale Ale, but it's lacking on overall flavor. Maybe I have met my Lupulin threshold. Enjoyed the one, but won't be seeking it out in the near future.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a De Molen beer stemflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average; this brewery has impressed me in the past. Served refrigerator cold.

A: Pours a two finger head of decent cream, good thickness, and great retention - especially considering the above average ABV. Colour is a nontransparent murky copper. Not unique nor special, but generally appealing.

Sm: A moderately strong aroma of unexpected brett funkiness, sourness, wild yeast, and vague light hints of citrus esters. Very unexpected and interesting for a pale ale. I really didn't see that coming at all. I'm intrigued.

T: The funkiness is tonal and light, but unmistakably present, reaching its naked apex in the finish. It's yeasty without feeling sedimentary. In fact, yeast may be its main note alongside the vague malts and buried hints of citrus. Atypical and interesting for the style, but also simple and boring - even a bit bland. Bring out the funkiness or the malts. The flavours are muted rather than subtle - to its detriment (and my chagrin). No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some cream on the finish. Not too thick or too thin per se, but it never feels quite right. It should be a bit lighter on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. This boring pale ale from Green Flash intrigues with its funkiness, but quickly grows tired when it offers little else.

C

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

I give much respect to Green Flash for putting the "craft" in craft beer, but for that reason I hold them to high standards. Rayon Vert met my expectations, just barely.

A-Great reddish orange hue with an amazing soapy head that could have hung around all day. I wonder if this is bottle conditioned and the yeast has just produced a ton of carbonation.

S-pineapple up front with hops and yeast hanging in the background. Just a hair of funk.

T-good but not great, having just had Hopslam this is pretty close, just not quite as in your face. I like this and session-wise feel like I could enjoy a few pints of this.

M-great carbonation, it has a really fresh and crisp taste. not too heavy and the carbonation does not make it feel to light either. Tang is good, and this has some tang.

O-looks wonderful and rolls down smooth. As it warms a bit the flavor gets even better. I cannot wait to have this on a warm day out in my porch.

I would like to award Green Flash an additional .02 for great bottle look. Labels are clear and simple and the bottle shape is fantastic.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

Brett, yeast, apples, pears, spices, and well....this is a pretty good example of American's doing a Belgian pale ale. The carbonation and body are both wonderful. Sadly I'm not a huge fan of these flavors. There's an almost scotch like element mixed in with fruity and sour notes. I don't like how this all blends as far as flavors go.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a hazy apricot color with a huge rocky white head. Left behind lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma of herbal hops, clove, menthol and earthy brett notes.

Like the aroma, the taste was herbal with clove, menthol and brett. Menthol notes lingered thru the finish.

Medium bodied and slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

A unique-tasting Belgian pale with the menthol so prominent. I like it but didn't love it.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

let's just get Overall out of the way. This is a relatively tasty beer that doesn't seem at all like what I expect from a Belgian Pale Ale. The Brett is overwhelming the rest of the beer already. I am hopeful that new aromas will come forth as it ages (impoves?)

The beer looks great in the glass. gorgeous. Light coppery color, brilliant other than a tiny whisp of yeast that made it into the bottle and slowly spreads throughout the rest of the glass. Effervescent, topped with a large creamy white with hints of yellow head of such tiny bubbles it looks like meringue. A few lines of tiny bubbles feed the stubborn head and it leaves great lace.

OK, so there's one smell here that overwhelms. I have as good a nose as anyone but all I get is phenolic, specifically band-aid. I like phenolics but I want to smell malt - moderately rich caramel/pilsner/toasty malt aromas - and hops with restrained yeast components in a Belgian Pale Ale. I get a slight spicy hop aroma but really it is hard to think of this as anything but medicine cabinet.

I enjoy the flavor more, and quickly settle in to taste what it has to offer. Sort of a lemony spicy flavor that could be noble hops or a yeast component. ample phenolics. Light pilsner malt. Bitterness is moderate, fruitiness is as well. clean, no diacetyl. Seems skillfully done, but I don't really appreciate the yeast/brett profile in this beer to this point. Some alcohol flavor comes out as it warms.

moderately light body, effervescent, very light alcohol warmth, no astringency. Crisp, enjoyable as it goes down.

so, I'd have it again, but not if I were looking for BPA. Hoping for more depth out of the brett as this ages too...

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a dark golden orange color with a one finger off white head that quickly fades into a thin ring.  Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Musty, funky aroma with lots of earthy Brett and funky yeast along with some zesty spice and light fruit. Hints of pepper and clove along with some pear, alcohol and more Brett.

Medium bodied with a slight creamy texture, zesty spicy musty, dry Brett and light fruit.  Pretty complex with dry funk that lingers throughout over hints of pepper, clove, apple, pear, bread and alcohol sweetness. The musty brett is dominant but really well integrated into the flavor of the base.  Complex but well balanced and extremely drinakble.

Pours a murky honey orange with a 3 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a thin cap. Thick chunks of lace stick to the glass on the drink down. Smell is of herbal and grassy hops with some funky Brett aromas. Taste is of herbal hops, some grains, and earthy flavors on the finish from the Brett. A quick band aid flavor comes and goes quickly. There is a mild bitterness and slightly funky aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a crisp carbonation level with a bubbly mouthfeel. Overall, this is an interesting beer for sure. I read they might have been going for an American Orval but this one just isn't as good.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

A - straw gold with a big whitish head that left some but not a ton of lacing.

S - a very interesting smell. I mostly got hops, both grassy and piney, with some spice and sweetness underneath. Just a hint of Brett on the back end.

T - The taste, like the smell, is unique. First I got a nice mouthful of west coast style hoppiness, then after that I got a hint of Belgian yeast followed by the unmistakable Brett funk. Really a lot going on. As it warmed I felt the hops mellowed and the Belgian/Brett flavors came forward.

M - Light and crisp, plenty of carbonation.

O - I can certainly see why this is a polarizing beer. I did get a whiff of band-aids once or twice, and at first the complexity and funk were a little overwhelming. As I kept drinking, though, it definitely grew on me and in the end it was an enjoyable experience. I will continue to drink it now and then, though it won't exactly be a go-to of mine.

Also, I'm curious to see how it will age and what it will taste like when the hops fade a bit, so I think I'll throw a bottle or two in the cellar.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

I didn't like this bottle, fresh from Pizza Port Carlsblad store. So if you disagree you needn't read any further. A light golden body with a white foamy 3/8" head, lacy. Funky aroma - armpit sweat, menthol, my socks wt and used. The taste is comparable to floor wax, foot liniment, and pepper. Lots of menthol build up as I drink further into it, but it is not all that drinkable and I am forcing myself. Crazy stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer looks great. Golden glowing body, a bit murky..as in, not crystal clear. Big white foamy head, nice lacing

Aroma is a bit dull and subdued. Nothing bad here. Some spice and light malt. Toasted crackers. Some clove and light banana

While the taste isn't spectacular, it does match well with the feel. It's crisp and clean. Some spice on the end just before it leaves for dryness. Light biscuit up front that doesn't last long. These flavors are light, a bit thin. I thought maybe this would have more hops, being from GF, but it's well balanced. White pepper hints. Some clove and mint.

Would like to see this with lover abv as I think it would be a great session beer, or aperitif

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.