Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle served in a St. Bernardus chalice
Bottle on 7/4/2012

A - Burnt orange color with a massive 3 fingers of off-white head. This terminator head takes for ever to sink but gives you ample time to smell the awesome aroma.

S - Spicy yeast, full on brett, big aroma of musty tropical fruit, sweettart candy, bubblegum, bright funkiness, orange sherbert, lemons, old church basement, grassy hops.

T - Follows the nose with lots of spice upfront, lemons, orange, pineapple, mango skin, dried papaya, white grapes, pears, hints of banana. Pale malts in the background with plenty of grassy hops. Finishes with a spicy and dry bitterness.

M - Aggressive carbonation adds a prickly bite and lightens up the body quite a bit. Creamy, dry feel.

Sublime aroma on this beer. It's like funky Belgian tropical nirvana. Hoppier than i thought it would be. The flavors seem to effortlessly marry together. This is my kind of beer.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

I found a 4 pack of this in the back corner of one of my goto bottle shops. I had read that folks looking for a bretty beer should check this out. I love me some brett so I picked it up. I have also read about some over carbination issues with this beer.

A: Beer poured an giant 5 finger head and just a tiny bit of actual beer. Over carbonated indeed. Took 12 minutes to pour an actual glass. But once it was poured it looked perfectly fine to my eye.

S: The smell is everything I want in a bretty IPA. Brett funk. Loving it.

T: I get no brett in the taste, big letdown for me here. I want funk on the nose and in the taste. Not here. Taste is not bad, but no funk.

MF: Smooth, semi dry, pleasant.

O: This beer is not bad. It is just not what I was expecting given other reviews. It is a perfectly fine belgian IPA. But if you want a bretty IPA that smells and tastes funky, look for Anchorage Galaxy White IPA, Mikkeller Farmhouse Invasion IPA, or Grassroots/Mikkeller Wheat is the new hops.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle very slowly over many minutes into a grand cru glass

Appearance - Hazy amber in color with a ridiculous amount of head. Head retention is insane, as this head stays clung to the glass for dear life! I slowly poured more on top until about 2 inches remained and began to drink!

Smell - Sour, funky, brett, yeasty

Taste - Slightly sour up front with a bitter lightly hoppy aftertaste. A slight sweetness lingers as I lick my lips...

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated. Quite prickly on the tongue, and the head is very prickly as well. The beer finishes surprisingly smooth, however. NO evidence that this is 7% abv...

Overall - A very Interesting brew! I have not encountered many Belgian Pale Ales with the characteristics of Rayon Vert. Some hoppy tones, some brett funk, some of everything in this beer. I recommend trying this beer to add to your resume. Unlike anything I have had in this category.

(EDIT) - I poured the dregs in halfway through and it was glorious! I would get a four pack of this beer and drink two with dregs and two without.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a huge head that fades very slowly with lots of lacing.

S: Aroma of yeast, fruity, with some banana, spice.

T: Taste of banana, vanilla spice with a mild fruity sweetness and spice. has sort of a tart bitterness and an unexpected dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth and creamy. No hint of the 7% ABV. This beer is quite complex with a lot going on.

O: Very enjoyable beer, better than I expected. worth checking out.

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottled 03JUL12

So, I knew this would be overcarbed, but this was stupid. It took a pitcher to pour this 12oz bottle. Nice clear golden underneath. Retained none of the foam once it died down. Smells nice with raisin, pale belgian yeast character, some hints of grain and metal and a bit of bitterness; some green apple skins and meat come through as it warms. Flavor is fruity, apple, lemon, honeydew and grain, some clay and a touch of strep mutans (maybe that's my mouth though). Medium bodied with now minimal carb and an off dry finish. Meh, would like to try fresh because this didn't do well with the age IMO.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Too much foamy head! It almost never went away. Im trying to drink this, and all I get is foam. NO NO! Other than that, cooper/dark orange, lots of lacing (obviously), hazy.

S- Sour, citrusy hops, & yeasty. Grapefruit forward. It's Belgian funky for sure!

T- Juicy and carbonated, with a grapefruit kind of hop presence. Sour towards the end. Finish is citrusy and somewhat sweet, and ends sour.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Juicy and bitter qualities prevent this from being extremely drinkable, but this beer was not designed to be a thrust quencher or had quickly.

I had Palm Speciale once, and I felt a sweat coming on when i had that. I am a little sweaty after drinking this. I have no clue if that is just these two beers or a side-effect of Belgian Pale Ales in general.

Overall, this was tasty. It didn't wow me, but it was good.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Rayon Vert pours a hazy, goldenrod color with the most massive head we have ever seen! The bottle conditioning with Brettanoyces creates a large amount of carbonation (especially when aged a year or more). This one takes time to pour, but be patient, the wait is well worth it. An impressive bouquet of aromas delight the senses with whiffs of lemon zest, spices, Belgian yeast and funk. Sweet malt flavors reminiscent of bread and caramel open the palate to more subtle notes of citrus and pepper with Belgian yeast and Brettanomyces funk underlining the entire brew. Extremely effervescent, this Green Flash brew is highly carbonated and medium bodied.

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.