Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 425 | Hads: 1,350
3.49/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a New Haven Craft Beer Week tumbler pint glass.

A: Murky, golden orange in color beneath a massive, three-finger head that fiercely bubbles over. The rocky head clings to the glass leaving chunks of sticky, off-white lace.

S: Sweet, funky, herbal, spicy and hoppy with a little bit of lemony tartness thrown in and a pinch of elephant.... yep.

T: Spicy, malty and effervescent up front with loads of herbal and citrus sweetness. Peppery and grassy flavors meld with funky, tart wheat and yeasty fruit esters. A little bit of acidic booziness creeps onto the palate before washing down bright, bubbly and ramped up with Belgian yeast flavors.

M: Very tart, bubbly effervescent mouthfeel, packed with carbonation and a chewy yeast feeling.

O: A fine BPA and one that has just the right amount of Green Flash flair with a hopped out profile and 7% ABV. Drinkable and flavorful, but not crazy about the "horse-blanket" aroma that I can't quite identify outside of the circus. Smell for yourself, but I'll breathe before I sip for now. (1,070 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a hazed copper color, and bright orange golden in the light, into a globe glass, this Rayon Vert looks to be somewhat of a Flemish translation of 'Green Flash' and a somewhat modified continuation of their Treasure Chest charity brew concept. The pour has an inch of almost white foam that offers strong retention and lacing.

Malty and fruity aroma when first opened, the nose adds various layers with exposure. Some earthy hops are present along with peppery spice and clove, bit of lemon from the foam. Brett notes are subtle to me, ebbing and flowing through the malty body, and more as clove and fruity(strawberry) cheese than any barnyard aromas.

Taste has several layers as well depending on what you're concentrating on. More pepper and clove up front with layered fruit on the finish. As the beer warms the mouthfeel fills up a bit, adding spice and a grainy texture to the finish. An interesting beer to pick apart, perhaps I should have another one..

Edit: New rendition is sickly overcarbonated as of Spring 2013. Brett is more evident in nose and taste however. Bottom line; if it weren't for these robust bottles this would likely explode in distribution. 4.0 to 2.0 on appearance/overall. Seek this one on tap in the meantime, rare as it may be. (1,268 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

A. Hazy gold with a huge foamy white head and tons of lacing. Bubbly with sediment. Some light comes through.

S. Interesting grape-ish scent. I can't put my finger on it.

T. It has a weed taste mixed with a grape and hops.

M. Not in love with the lasting aftertaste. The taste stays for a while.

O. Very unique but a bit too intense. I appreciate the effort but this needs to be tamed. (390 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

I found a 4 pack of this in the back corner of one of my goto bottle shops. I had read that folks looking for a bretty beer should check this out. I love me some brett so I picked it up. I have also read about some over carbination issues with this beer.

A: Beer poured an giant 5 finger head and just a tiny bit of actual beer. Over carbonated indeed. Took 12 minutes to pour an actual glass. But once it was poured it looked perfectly fine to my eye.

S: The smell is everything I want in a bretty IPA. Brett funk. Loving it.

T: I get no brett in the taste, big letdown for me here. I want funk on the nose and in the taste. Not here. Taste is not bad, but no funk.

MF: Smooth, semi dry, pleasant.

O: This beer is not bad. It is just not what I was expecting given other reviews. It is a perfectly fine belgian IPA. But if you want a bretty IPA that smells and tastes funky, look for Anchorage Galaxy White IPA, Mikkeller Farmhouse Invasion IPA, or Grassroots/Mikkeller Wheat is the new hops. (998 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured in a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Reviewed live.

A- Fluffed up to a thick three finger whitish head that fades to spotty tufts of foam. Hazy orangish color and good carbonation.

S- Hoppy and some dark grains in the nose as well.

T- Sweet and gummy, some lighter hops but really gentle and sweet.

M- Medium bodied. Weak carbonation. No linger.

O- Not my favorite style, but drinkable and smooth. (409 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz into a tulip.

AL Pours a darkish gold with a huge spongy white head.

S: Leathery brett, apricot, floral, minerals, mild caramel.

T: Astringent bitterness (hops?), light clove, gamey funk, sweet pale malt, a bit leafy.

M: Light-bodied with frothy carbonation.

O: The odd astringent bitterness here sort of ruined the experience. Maybe I'll revisit again and hope it's gone. (382 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%

This pours a perfect head and has a nice dark golden look to it as well as a decent amount of carbonation.

There is a musty, yeasty aroma with some mild fruit as well. The malt definitely overwhelms the hops in this brew and there is a biscuit type taste. This finishes with a very dry and bitter aftertaste and it feels slightly like champagne in your mouth. This is much better as it gets warmer.

On the bottle it says continuously evolving, so I might try to get some for aging. This is a decent Belgian inspired Pale Ale, but I have had better beers by Green Flash. (572 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

355ml bottle.

It pours a murky amber, huge white head that leaves soapy lacing.

The smell is dominated by brett. Smells like an Orval but less complex with a bigger medicine scent.

The taste is mostly brett too, a subtle bit of hops rounds it out.

If you like brett give it a try. (285 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: poured into an oversized wine glass, brilliant color almost like fresh honey, a tad cloudy, large creamy head that gradually depleted over a minute to a thin covering that hugs the edge of the glass

Nose: almost toasty hops with a dank funky aroma of hops and yeast

Taste: complex, almost medicinal taste like cherry Chloraseptic sore throat spray or the way a new band-aid smells. very interesting, slight aftertaste of drupes

Mouthfeel: airy, smooth, heavily carbonated feel

Overall: an interesting belgian-style pale ale, well-made, not for everyone but a must try (584 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle. Clear orange color. Nice, very dense and big and solid light tan head, that more or less stays put. Light carbonation, very smooth. Some dryness, good texture, sort of estery. Interesting, hard to describe aroma... Some lemon zest, also spice in the hops. Taste is some bitter, zesty sweetness, and some balanced spice. Good, interesting, tasty brew. A nice Belgian-style. (380 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to John for this one! 12 oz. bottle poured on March 9th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Cloudy, dark golden coloring. Large, three-finger light yellow head. Okay retention and absurdly thick lacing.

S - Definitely get the Belgian influence here. Bretty must, hay, and wet grass. Light cherry tartness. Acidic light fruits. A light undertone of malt grains.

T - Underwhelming. Bready yeast, light hops, further citrus. Faint residual sugars. Not a whole lot of depth here.

M - Light-medium body, average carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - The brett yeast is a bit soft compared to what I expected, though I still enjoyed the aroma. Taste really didn't bring anything new to the table. (698 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden/orange color. A towering, bubbly white head forms and leaves rings of lace.
S: Hops, lots of passion fruit hops. Mango, peach, papaya. Then becomes soapy and oily. Just on the nose I would have said this was an IPA. Not surprising from Green Flash. No yeast, nothing I would consider Belgian.
T: Up front is the mango, peach, passion fruit hops. Maybe just a hint of spicy, busty, Belgian yeast in the finish. Though there is no finish or aftertaste what so ever.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Really slick and oily and a bit on the thin side for me. Needs to be way more crisp and dry. Not hard to drink at all. I will finish the bottle in no time.

Really not a bad beer. Just does not hit any style buttons for anything Belgian as far as I am concerned. The four pack will be drunk, but this is not what I am going to reach for when I want Belgian anything. (889 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours with a huge head of foam. So much so that it takes several minutes to completely drain the bottle. Body is a hazy dark orange with amazing head retention and lacing.

Aroma is almost all Brett. I can detect some lemon coming through but barely underneath the barnyard funk.

The taste is largely the same: Brett. Now I do love this flavor in the correct style or if properly balanced but that is not the case here. I'm not sure of the age of this beer but the Brett has really taken over leaving just a faint hint of lemon and bread underneath and nearly no bitterness. Mouthfeel is soft with a slightly sticky finish.

Overall, I was expecting a lot more complexity from this beer. It almost reminds me of a poorly made Geuze. Might have to revisit this sometime. (802 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15%

I was pretty happy when I discovered Green Flash Rayon Vert last year. Solid brett beer that I was planning on buying regularly so as to not spend massive amounts of money on Orval all the time.

But I'm done with Rayon Vert. Out of the last five 4-packs I have bought recently, every single beer has been a gusher, with 30 to 50% of the liquid not making it into my glass. We're talking miniature beer geysers here. Six inches of over-carbonated beer shooting straight out of the bottle. Good thing they use thick bottles, otherwise I'm sure these would have been bottle bombs. I properly stored them and made sure that they experienced zero agitation for a few days prior to opening, so that's not the issue.

It's such a pain in the ass to clean, and it's a bummer when you lose half the beer like this.

I emailed Green Flash customer service to let them know about my experience, and they didn't even bother sending a quick response to acknowledge my email. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more of their offerings.

In a nutshell: very decent Belgian style pale ale with brett that is quite delicious... when you can manage to get the beer out of the bottle and into your glass instead of on the counter. (1,216 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15.2%

Bottle served to @tobeerornottobe from Slowbeer in Melbourne.

Pours a hazed, but not particularly cloudy golden orange hue, with a monumental, almost ridiculous head of frothy white, that forms a solid 3/4 of the top of the glass. It collapses as it should, but it's just a little frustrating when it forms.

Nose is a really pleasant round Belgian note spliced with some crisp American hop fragrance. Lemon and a touch of crisp vegetative pine come through, but it's mostly based around that smooth, light and believable Belgian fragrance. It's a nice amalgam, nicely done.

Taste is very light, and really quite Belgian in inspiration. The palate is flat and empty, just allowing the spicy, peppery notes from the yeast to come through, and get accentuated by the yeast, which gives it a slightly green vegetative note. Really the malt lets it down a little—to be fair, it needs some basis, and this has none. As good as the Belgian spice is, it has so little to back it up that it lacks all the complexity that makes good Belgians, well... good.

It's clean and crisp, but really, it does a poor job of the style, and even on its own terms it feels empty and pointless. No, not a great brew, overall. (1,206 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15.2%

Green Flash Brewing was recommended to me by one of my fellow beerethren on BeerAdvocate, and so my journey with them begins with Rayon Vert, a Belgian style Pale Ale with Brettanomyces (a yeast strain) which is often in the viticulture and beer brewing industries seen as a contaminant and can impart: Barnyard, antiseptic, clove, smoke and rancid flavours into a brew (desired or no). As 'Brett' is a wilder strain than regular brewer’s yeast it can also account for a wider variability between batches, I'm just hoping this isn't a fully sour beer (I've had enough sour beers lately thank you).

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: WARNING: Green Flash Rayon Vert WILL explode out of the bottle as soon as you open it! Thankfully I've become wise enough in my old beer-drinking age to open beers near the kitchen sink. The body is a cloudy tangerine with a 1 inch cream head that slowly recedes leaving sticky lace all over the glass.

S: The influence of Brett is bold with this brew, there are notes of barnyard, rancid apple, orange sherbet and antiseptic all over this Ale. Also noted is a hint of sweet malt and some herbal hops but really the yeast takes an almighty dump all over the aroma and I for one am not looking forward to this next part.

T: Hmmm, better and much more balanced than expected. Yes it's slightly tart from the yeast but there are other flavours at play here; funky and sweet orange sherbet in the mid palate with vinous characters and a long dry Champagne-like finish. After taste is where the hops give a silent citric nod (just to let you know that they're always watching you).

M: Mid to light bodied with a wild carbonation (hence the explosion on opening).

D: This is one beer that just got better and better (aside from the OTT carbonation). I will admit I'm not a big fan but I can see the merits of this brew and I might in the future give it another go (as long as I'm near a sink when opening of course). It could have used more sweetness is my final verdict.

Food match: Hard to nail this one due to that odd funky orange sherbet note, it would however match Thai or South East Asian cuisine (the zesty flavours of which would become a match for it). (2,217 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Chill hazed amber with a tall fluffy white head.

Smells spicy and soapy with a mainly herbal scent and a fair dose of coriander. A little malt sweetness of the honeysuckle type.

Starts out sweet and spicy in the mouth. Low level of bitterness and a grassy hop flavor. This is a basic mild BPA but there is nothing really outstanding in the taste.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is mild and pleasing beer but not an outstanding one. (436 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

i was excited to try this belgian style pale ale. i poured about an ounce into a glass and it quickly exploded with head. after several minutes i was able to pour a little more into the glass. the head is a thick white color the beer is a gold color with faint cloudiness. the smell reminds me of an indian grocery store. there is citrus with a hodgepodge of other spices swirled around. as far as the taste goes- i have only managed to pour half the bottle in my glass b/c of the thick head.
-the taste is bitter and lemony with a huge wash of spices on the back end. this beer has a very eastern feel- it is very complex. i almost think that here is too much going on. i dont say this much but i feel like it is almost over done. (731 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

let's just get Overall out of the way. This is a relatively tasty beer that doesn't seem at all like what I expect from a Belgian Pale Ale. The Brett is overwhelming the rest of the beer already. I am hopeful that new aromas will come forth as it ages (impoves?)

The beer looks great in the glass. gorgeous. Light coppery color, brilliant other than a tiny whisp of yeast that made it into the bottle and slowly spreads throughout the rest of the glass. Effervescent, topped with a large creamy white with hints of yellow head of such tiny bubbles it looks like meringue. A few lines of tiny bubbles feed the stubborn head and it leaves great lace.

OK, so there's one smell here that overwhelms. I have as good a nose as anyone but all I get is phenolic, specifically band-aid. I like phenolics but I want to smell malt - moderately rich caramel/pilsner/toasty malt aromas - and hops with restrained yeast components in a Belgian Pale Ale. I get a slight spicy hop aroma but really it is hard to think of this as anything but medicine cabinet.

I enjoy the flavor more, and quickly settle in to taste what it has to offer. Sort of a lemony spicy flavor that could be noble hops or a yeast component. ample phenolics. Light pilsner malt. Bitterness is moderate, fruitiness is as well. clean, no diacetyl. Seems skillfully done, but I don't really appreciate the yeast/brett profile in this beer to this point. Some alcohol flavor comes out as it warms.

moderately light body, effervescent, very light alcohol warmth, no astringency. Crisp, enjoyable as it goes down.

so, I'd have it again, but not if I were looking for BPA. Hoping for more depth out of the brett as this ages too... (1,687 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -16%

An homage to Orval? Sign me up. $2.99 single from the Village Pump.

The pour is clear amber with a dense,white head with pretty excellent retention and nice lacing. The nose already has picked up quite a bit of Brett. Unfortunately, the Brett character is quite plasticy and mildly clove-like. Faintly hoppy with some citrus is present as well. The alcohol's a little too high, and there's some toasted caramel and sugar present. As it warms up, a little sulfur becomes apparent.

The palate is quite fruity with some citrus (ripe oranges), sugar and honey. The mid-palate is where the Brett is more expressive. Dry, earthy Brett with plastic and a little clove. Honey and citrus linger on the finish, but the blend of the honey and the Brett isn't particularly impressive right now, making this rather unpleasantly spicy. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this feels pretty decent on the palate, but still, a little too sweet. Decent, I will revisit this simply because it's so cheap, but I do wish they dialed down the alcohol to 5.5 or something. This definitely ain't no Orval. (1,090 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Foamy white head. Excellent retention and lace. Deep orange apricot brown body.

S - Almost wit-like with a bright tart twang. Bitter white wine grapes, sour apple, apricot and pear.

T - Dry, deeply waxy, and tart. White stone fruits, wheat, grapefruit, and apricot.

M - Light body. Par carbonation.

O - Wax dominates the profile and bullies some of the softer, more interesting fruit flavors in the brew. (412 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - As others have said, ridiculous head on this beer, to the point of being a bit annoying. Golden/orange color. The head on this does not go away.

S - Funky, musty smell. Mostly brett. Honestly, not much gets through all that head. Very muted aroma.

T - The brett definitely comes through in this. Not super sour, but has quite a bit of funk to it. A bit bitter with some fruity aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and very carbonated. Possibly a bit too much carbonation. The ridiculous amount of head on this beer isn't going anywhere.

I'm kind of disappointed with this one. I'm usually very pleased with Green Flash, but this one just hasn't done much for me. It's certainly got the sour funkiness you'd expect, but there just isn't much else going on here. (761 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%

Tasted On: 06-21-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Dogfish Head Signature glass
Purchased: 4-pack from Midtown, Nashville

A: Crazy pour on this beer due to the massive head formation. I tried 2 different glasses and bottles with the same result -- 5+ fingers of rocky, off-white head. I had to drink from the bottle because of the massive head that didn't want to go away. I think this batch may have gotten over-carbonated. Color is a clear pumpkin orange. Lacing is excellent along with the ridiculous head retention.

S: Big hop aromas of citrus, grapefruit and pine, plus some earthy and grassy notes and maybe a bit of tropical fruit.

T: As in the nose, the main taste component is the hops. Tangy and dry, with flavors of grapefruit and citrus. I think the dryness of this beer tends to make the hops stand out more than you'd expect at 32 IBUs.

M: Lively carbonation on a medium body. Finish is bitter, yeasty and dry, with some acidic character. Seems to soften pleasantly as it warms.

O: This was a bit of a disappointment for me. It seemed too hoppy for the style and the intense carbonation made it a pain to drink. (1,177 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours golden with a huge head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell is of bubblegum and cotton candy. A bit of citrus is underneath.

The taste is of sweet bubblegum and cotton candy. It does have a tart touch in the finish.

It is light to medium bodied. Fairly creamy. A bit of a late fizzy tingle to it as it goes down.

It has stereotypical "Belgian" characteristics with the bubblegum/cotton candy. It is not a Duvel. I thought it would be considered a Strong Belgian Pale because of the alcohol content and noticeable character. It is "okay", but missing a Saaz character to balance it. (595 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Slow poured from 12oz bottle into a Belgium sniffer.

A- Uh oh. We have a gusher here. Even the most delicate of pours resultes in a 4 finger, massive head. I know the style dictates a high level of carbonation, but this is a bit much. The end result is a half glass of foam and a half glass of a cloudy orange/amber brew with evervesance similar to champagne.

S- A susbdued smell that has probably been masked by the half glass of foam. As it begins to settle I start to pick up a combo of sweet and spicy. Nectar meets pepper. Slight bananas. Fresh fruits and hops. Pale malts and barnyard funk.

T- Well, after waiting about 20 minutes for the head to dissipate, i have decided to jump in. Sweetness dected first with a heavy dose of wild Brett yeast. Band-aid and medicinal flavors appear. Citrus and grassy hops account for a crisp, bitter finish. Quite acidic as well.

M- Here is the biggest issue i have with this. The massive carbonation is difficult to look past. Drinkability suffers due to the evervesance. Dry finish.

O- I wanted to like this beer. I really did. I love Green Flash. I have worked with Brett yeast in my homebrews and understand how unpredictible it can be, but the carb level hurt this brew. It hindered the wonderful aroma from escaping and it caused the drinkability to really suffer. If you let it rest for a good while, then you can experience some nice qualities that remain masked. The characteristics were all there for this to be a great Belgian pale, but it fell short of spectacular.

$8.49 for 4pk (1,542 characters)

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.