Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Green Flash Brewing was recommended to me by one of my fellow beerethren on BeerAdvocate, and so my journey with them begins with Rayon Vert, a Belgian style Pale Ale with Brettanomyces (a yeast strain) which is often in the viticulture and beer brewing industries seen as a contaminant and can impart: Barnyard, antiseptic, clove, smoke and rancid flavours into a brew (desired or no). As 'Brett' is a wilder strain than regular brewer’s yeast it can also account for a wider variability between batches, I'm just hoping this isn't a fully sour beer (I've had enough sour beers lately thank you).

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: WARNING: Green Flash Rayon Vert WILL explode out of the bottle as soon as you open it! Thankfully I've become wise enough in my old beer-drinking age to open beers near the kitchen sink. The body is a cloudy tangerine with a 1 inch cream head that slowly recedes leaving sticky lace all over the glass.

S: The influence of Brett is bold with this brew, there are notes of barnyard, rancid apple, orange sherbet and antiseptic all over this Ale. Also noted is a hint of sweet malt and some herbal hops but really the yeast takes an almighty dump all over the aroma and I for one am not looking forward to this next part.

T: Hmmm, better and much more balanced than expected. Yes it's slightly tart from the yeast but there are other flavours at play here; funky and sweet orange sherbet in the mid palate with vinous characters and a long dry Champagne-like finish. After taste is where the hops give a silent citric nod (just to let you know that they're always watching you).

M: Mid to light bodied with a wild carbonation (hence the explosion on opening).

D: This is one beer that just got better and better (aside from the OTT carbonation). I will admit I'm not a big fan but I can see the merits of this brew and I might in the future give it another go (as long as I'm near a sink when opening of course). It could have used more sweetness is my final verdict.

Food match: Hard to nail this one due to that odd funky orange sherbet note, it would however match Thai or South East Asian cuisine (the zesty flavours of which would become a match for it).

I almost gave this a 5 for appearance, except the towering fluffy head would be mare at home on a tripel than on a Belgian ale. Nice yeasty aroma some floral notes, a hazy copper orange body, taste is yeast and some mellow hoppiness. Overall a great attempt at the Belgian style.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

Rarely can I find a beer that successfully marries sourness with hops. As someone who dislikes hops in general, anytime a beer has a powerful hops flavor it tends to be overpowering. Rayon Vert, however, finds a way to balance a powerful sourness with a powerful hops flavor and does so with both finesse and strength. Well done!

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Cloudy orange.

Smell: Spices, yeast, citrus and floral notes.

Taste: Grapefruit is what I got. Along with yeast, fizziness and brett, apparently. (had to look it up to see what it was that I couldn't pin point. Being my second brett beer, I'm not yet familiar with the style.) But I enjoyed it and find the brett to add a unique dynamic.

Mouthfeel: Light body and high carbonation. Also pretty dry.

Overall: Excellent.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.