Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 07-03-12. Sampled more than a year later on August 13, 2013.

The pour is pale yellow to golden with a tremendous white and light puffy head. Some haze and busy carbonation.

The aroma is quite nice with an inviting Belgian pale malts, yeast, and Belgian sugar ester with a little clove and nutmeg out back.

The body is in the medium range with a bit of acidity. That could be due to the age of the bottle.

The taste has an upfront toasted biscuit malt character at first which is superseded by a powerful peppery and mildly dry finish.

puboflyons, Aug 14, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Great Divide tulip. Pours a cloudy medium golden amber with massive overproduction of foam; a careful pour was 80% foam and it took a long time to get enough in the glass for a taste; the massive head dissipated completely to a thin film, ring around the glass and pillowy lacing. Aroma of light bready malt, both Belgian and wild yeast, Belgian spicing and a hint of citrus. Flavor is very light bready malt with a strong dose of Bretty wild yeast and hints of apple and stone fruit juice. Finishes with lingering wild yeast and light hops. Light bodied. I'm not a huge fan of wild yeasts, but enjoy a touch of Brett or wild yeast to a sufficiently complex ale; this one did not support the level of wild yeast to my taste. It is light and overall pleasant, but too single note to hold my interest.

LiquidAmber, Jul 22, 2013

Refrigerated 22 oz. bottle, poured into tulip glass

A - Deep amber color, even slow pour results in very large head (4 fingers plus) that lasts a while and produces significant lacing

S - Brett predominates (as it should), then some fruitiness and yeastiness

T - Yeasty/malty at first with a hint of spiciness, then the Brett kicks in and it ends pretty sour

M - A bit thin and dry, moderate carbonation.

O - A pretty good effort, like all the Green Flash offerings I've tried. It's a relatively uncomplex flavor, or I would have bumped up to an overall 4 instead of 3.5, but it's a close call.

IvoryFoxhole, Jun 22, 2012
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

So sudsy with such a creamy mouthfeel. Handsome amber color in the Brigand snifter. Thoroughly unmistakable with that slash of Brett funkiness. Rather bitter, though it seems to hit more up front as the yeast and other peculiarities move in. But it's still more like an IPA scale of bitterness. Browned biscuit taste with a fair amount of malt. Here's a good test, if you can describe this edgy stuff. On the sharp side. Nose of fermenting apples with a little cardboard.

Seems a little more bitter than the last time I tasted it. I was a little taken aback, as I thought it was perfectly balanced before. Will be interesting to see if it's evolving in the bottle with all the sediment and bacteria. Four-pack of 12 oz bottles from Barons Marketplace in San Diego

mactrail, Feb 12, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Served from the bottle into a globed DFH glass

A- Poured a hazy medium amber color with fluffy head that leaves quite a bit of spotty lace

S- Hay funk, banana, clove, lemon, and bready notes. Very well balanced aroma

T- Big funky barnyard hay taste, lemon, bready and chalky yeasty notes. A very unique flavor profile, I can't quite put my finger on some of these flavors, but it is spicy, yeasty, and funky.

M- High prickly carbonation, kind of dry chalky quality

O- A very unique tasting beer. I like it, but not sure how often I would go reach for a beer like this. I heard this is very similar to Orval, which I had recently and did not like. I notice some similarities in aroma and a little in taste, but I actually like this beer and did not care for Orval at all. I don't get the overly bitterness and salty qualities I got with Orval.

Hoptometrist, Jan 13, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Pours a clear, golden orange(until the sediment turns the clarity to a haze) with a huge white head. O.K. lacing throughout.

S- Slight clove spice, hops, and an "unknown" "funk" to my senses.

T- Hops. Just a hint of sweet clove spice at the start. Followed by the "unknown" "funk".

M- Clean. Somewhat dry finish. O.K. carbonation.

O- This is my second Green Flash beer. Either my taste buds are uneducated or something is a miss for me with this brewery. Could it be "Brett"? Only asking as I have not had that style. There is an aftertaste here that I am simply not a fan of.

capeannbass36, Mar 30, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

When I opened the bottle I immediately put my nose to the lip. I get a ton of the yeast. I like this horse-blanket smell.

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. I get a ton of foam on the pour. I recommend letting the beer settle for a minute after opening, or be patient until your first sip. The upside is clumpy foam making for some cloud-like lacing on the side of my glass.

I really enjoy the smell coming off the top of this glass. You get some really good saison like sour quality. I also detect a little bit of spicyness. There wasn't any hoppiness that I could pick up.

The flavor is a little bit of a challenge. I get a decent amount of bitterness. This is one of those beers that smells much better than the taste.

Overall this was a good beer, but it is a challenging drinker.

ummswimmin, Aug 16, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Crisp and hoppy. A really nice blend of classic belgian sweetness and spiciness with a west coast hop profile. Nothing is overwhelming yet the flavors feel so big. Like a belgian style tripel with a west coast twang. Quite nice. Big yet brisk mouthfeel. Euro hop bitterness, slightly spicy finish. Tasty and drinkable. Little bit of alcohol heat but doesnt take away from the style much.

jtierney89, Aug 22, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a hazy apricot color with a huge rocky white head. Left behind lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma of herbal hops, clove, menthol and earthy brett notes.

Like the aroma, the taste was herbal with clove, menthol and brett. Menthol notes lingered thru the finish.

Medium bodied and slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

A unique-tasting Belgian pale with the menthol so prominent. I like it but didn't love it.

Monkeyknife, Jan 26, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Crazy volumes of carbonation. Opening the cap let off a hiss like a tractor trailer releasing its air brakes. I barely poured a dash of the beer and the whole glass is filled to the brim with foam. Be careful when opening/pouring. The head is an off-white mountain of clouds. The body is a hazy medium shade of gold. Good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a lot of saison character from the beer. It has a horsey barnyard smell to it...a lot of funk and sour scents.

T: The taste mimics the scent closely, focusing on a musky funk quality. There is a little bit of bread flavor, and a mild hop bitterness...kind of rustic tasting...a bit like rye bread in the aftertaste. Some sour notes in there as well, but it kind-of tinges the tongue and lips then dissipates. Some of the hop character comes through in the aftertaste as well...it is a very complex beer. My rating went from a 3...3.5...to a 4 while I continued to drink the beer.

M: It has a very nice mouthfeel. It's bright and perky, and the bitterness seems to counter-balance that by grounding the overall feel of the beer. It feels medium bodied. Drinkability is moderate, because the beer tends to be a bit abrasive with its sourness and bitterness. It's not something I would have more than a bottle of.

O: Overall I found the beer to be interesting and complex. I would recommend it to die-hard fans of Belgian sours, saisons, farmhouse ales, or just interesting beers in general. The carbonation seemed overdone, which makes it difficult to pour the beer (even for a highly carbonated Belgian beer). I probably won't be buying it again, but I don't regret buying it either.

teromous, Mar 17, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy deep golden color with a huge fluffy white head that persists forever.
Smells of pepper and spice mostly. Light hints of sweet honey like malt countered with grapefruit and zest. Taste is spicy with pepper, lightly sweet with honey like malt, lemony and citrusy with hops. Medium body with a spirited level of carbonation and a fizzy syrupy chalky mouthfeel. Decent Belgian pale that I'm glad I got to try, but probably not something I would seek out again.

johnnnniee, Mar 18, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Sediment at the bottom of the bottle; a careful pour yields a massive head: fluffy, cratered, and eggshell white, it really takes its time settling down into a nice pancake; leaves behind plenty of lacing. The beer is sort of a burnt gold with streams of carbonation.

S: Lemon meringue pie or key lime pie. Go figure. Sort of a baby powder smell too. Overall the aroma of this brew is mild. Gets a little funky as the beer warms which I liked.

T: Fruit snacks and a little fresh grass. Some bitter hops in the aftertaste.

M: Soft like most BPAs, but wetter even though it’s a litte more hopped. Fizzy. Alcohol is basically undetectable.

O: It’s appearance (right down to the stylin’ bottle) was its strongpoint for me, followed by the aroma. I found the taste a little bland, and the aftertaste phenol-ically clawing. If you like Green-Flash and you’re curious about their take on a BPA, give it a shot.

NardiByNature, Apr 27, 2012
3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So much foam. I had to pay extra attention on the second bottle to make sure I hadn't just goofed it the first time around; but it does actually pour with a 5 finger head.

The smell may be the best part of this beer, it's bright, citrusy and funky like wet hay. The taste is all funk, with a little more malt than you'd expect.

Overall, just okay. Not the brewery's best effort.

onechordwonder, Apr 06, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Everytime I have this beer it overflows my beer glass. The beer is just so carbonated that it actually hurts the brew in my opinion. The taste is good but it's hard to judge when I only get half a glass because the other half is on the bar dripping down the barstool. The mouthfeel of this brew is just a mess.

Bottom line: good taste when you can get it into your mouth.

themind, Feb 13, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tasting glass at the brewery.

Funky for a pale ale. Is there some Brett in here? Whatever Belgian yeast Green Flash uses in their Belgian pales I'm not crazy about. Lightly tart. Fruity. Interesting. Ultimately, I don't think it's for me.

AgentMunky, Sep 01, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle at Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured a yeast streaked medium golden colour. Two fingers of fluffy white head on top. Colour turned hazy after the yeast had time to blend in. Good minute streaks of lace and one finger of retention.

S - Super sour. Hay, lemon, mustry and super funky. Can't wait to dive in.

T - Less sour than the aroma would lead you to believe. Light malty character and some light wood.

M - No finish. The flavour simply disappears. Medium to full body and good carbonation.

O/D - Weird mouthfeel and less sourness than the aroma. If those issues weren't there this would be a really nice beer. Good but lacking.

tbeckett, Mar 20, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a big white head that takes a while to settle and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is fruity with green apple and apricot, a bit of brett and some breadiness. Initial taste is some green apple and apricot. A bit of brett presence. Finish is bready and slightly drying. Quite nice. Light bodied. Medium carbonation. I'd be curious to see how this evolves, but not sure if I have the space.

jethrodium, Jun 08, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I went to the store looking for Orval. They had sold out that morning, but Rayon Vert was recommended to me as an "Orval clone." Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't hoping for an American Orval and had tasted it on its own merits. In any case, while it certainly owes its influence to Orval, Orval it is not.

Rayon Vert is pretty dry and heavy on the brett. A bit bitter, there's a strong hop presence, as well as lemon candy, honey lozenges, and herbal tea flavors. I didn't feel it was a very balanced beer: while there were certainly many flavors, they almost seemed in competition and didn't really blend.

I would like to try the beer again in a blind tasting; perhaps with an open mind, I might have a different tasting experience. But for me, it doesn't rank among the better Belgian Pales, and it certainly doesn't compare to Orval.

rinhaak, Mar 24, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark orange with a huge 4-finger white head that sticks all over the rim and reduces slowly, leaving lots of lace.

Reading about this, it sounded like GF was going for something very similar to Orval, and I'd say they certainly Americanized the Orval character, losing the subtleties in this nose with its notes of bread, blood orange pith, pear, honey and earthy herbs.

The medium bodied palate is bright with the slight Brett-tartness and a big carbonation- flavors of bitter orange, apples and earthy herbal tones. The middle brings a sizable bitterness while the booze makes a statement on the finish, lingering with the breadiness and herbal characters.

Overall not bad, but as I've said, it certainly tastes like an Americanized beer, with nowhere near the complexity of the brew I think its trying to mimic. That said, though, this is certainly a candidate for the cellar, and its ageability gives it a few extra points.

TheWhiskerReview, Mar 01, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to my buddy Doug for giving me this bottle. He got it from the west coast and now I see the beer on the shelf at Julio’s.

Big foamy head that appears to be soapy suds. Clinging lace. Bright brass colored beer with excellent clarity and some escaping bubbles.

Aroma is of yeast, plastic, a touch of funk and some fruit.

The plastic/rubber taste is up front with a lot of surprising bready notes just after. Lots of yeast notes and what I sometimes describe as spice, but it’s really different here. A nice bitter aftertaste that is a combination of hop bitterness and some complexity from the yeast. Not as fruity in flavor as some of the aroma notes.

Delicate body, really effervescent.

Nice refreshing beer.

Reagan1984, Mar 22, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Deep yellow that's approaching gold with tons of bubbles. A soon as you pop the cap you get an above average hiss that translates into billowy, fluffy off white head that takes up half the glass. A constant stream of bubbles from the bottom feeds it's gigantor size.

The nose is a good portion of Belgian yeast, dusty hops and some farmhouse. It's the farm scents that I'll never understand in a beer but someone out there must love it.

Rayon Vert has smooth, balanced flavor that has one foot in the farm and one foot in a brew house. Sweet toasted grains mixed with that Belgian twang, light citrus and subtle ginger like spices. This one puts me out of my comfort zone but in a very good way. I find the flavor unique and interesting.

Mouthfeel is also a light with a fine champagne carbonation, adding to the sizzle and zest of the brew. Unique and tasty well worth trying. I remain not a huge fan of Belgian anything but this one was really good.

jbphoto88, Dec 01, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

A: The beer pours a middy golden brown with a white head. This beer has a HUGE head on it. It slowly fades and looks like the head of a coke float. There is a lot of lace left on the glass. A very nice looking beer

S: This beer has a strong basil and spices scent to it with also a bit of hops. It honestly almost smells like a pasta I have had once at La Madeline, very nice.

T: Again I am getting the basil and spices that I got in the smell. The taste has a decent amount of hops which give it a nice piney taste. It tastes too much like pizza for my tasting though. The taste

M: There is almost no crispness to this beer at all. It is beyond smooth and is very easy to drink.

O: I know I talked a lot about italian food in my review, but this beer tastes so much like a pizza or pasta. I wish it was toned down a little bit in the taste, but everything else in the beer is very awesome. Maybe I will age the other ones and see what this beer does with time.

gtermi, Dec 30, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this one for a while. Got it as an extra prior to Green Flash entering MN. Looks like it was bottled 7/12.

Pours extremely carbonated. Several fingers of head from a small pour.

The brett seems to have developed. Aroma is mostly a tart apple skin aroma.

Taste is toasted malts with green apple and slight barnyard funk. Brett has really come out.

Qualities of a pale with lots of brett.

Powderhornphil, Jun 01, 2014

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours hazy straw yellow/orange with some particles. A massive white head. Big bubbly lacing. Careful on the pour with this one.

S- I get a big spiciness up front. There is a lot of fruit here. Citrus tones from the hops and a tiny bit a darker fruit. Certainly an intriguing smell on this one.

T- This is a weird one, that's for sure. There is a ton of carbonation up front. The taste, is very fruity, the is some west coast hops in here for sure giving it a citrus and piney taste. The yeast gives this beer a really spicy taste and feel and is very crisp on the finish. The taste is a strange sour hay flavor that im trying to decide just how much I enjoy it.

M- This beer has insane carbonation, at times it was too much. The yeast really gives this beer a full silky feel which is quite nice.

O- This is pretty decent beer, very unique to say the least. I don't know how old my bottle is and if this beer is "constantly evolving" there's no telling here. I would be interested in trying a fresh and aged one side by side just to see the difference. As of now, i am not quite sold on Brett.

TwelveOunces, Aug 03, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Aggressive pour yields a clear deep copper body with a 3 finger dense cream head that lingers, leaving huge lacing. Stirring the bottle before the last pour yields cloudy yeast.

Belgian yeast esters dominate the aroma with hints of candi sugar peeking through. Green apple, pineapple, lemon add complexity.

Tart green apple dominates the flavor, with a fairly bitter hop finish cutting the profile short. Initially lacks in complexity. Hints of candi sugar and belgian malt are subtle.

Body is fairly light, with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish is dry and fairly bitter. Alcohol warmth is fairly subdued, but present.

Overall, a bit too simple for my liking. The belgian yeast fruitiness is squashed by the bitter, relatively flavorless hops. I'm disappointed.

Once I added the yeast sediment, a bit more flavor came out, pears, a bit of funk. But there was also some phenolic flavors that were somewhat offputting. Still too bitter for me.

barczar, Apr 13, 2012
Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.