Rayon Vert - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011)
3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip

A - Dirty, hazy apricot hue. I poured it so gently and slowly, still took 2 pours as the massive foamy head erupted above the top of my tulip. Head retention is lasting a very long time.

S - Belgian yeast, rotten banana and other fruits (not as bad as you think). Sugar and spice, with a bit of floral hops and wet hay.

T - Belgian yeast and spice up front. Wet hay and some ripe fruit (no banana). A bit of floral hop and sugar round it out. Interesting.

M - Heavy carbonation, light bodied. Finish is slightly dry.

O - I typically like this style, but this one left me scratching my head. It is an odd combination of wet hay, fruit, spice and hop. I'll stick with a more traditional style, but this was good to try.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy, copper color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, tart citrus, hint of hop, hint of pale malt, hint of spice, hint of grass, hint of alcohol. Fresh, strong, and pungent aroma. Fits the style of a Belgian Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of tartness, hint of sweet malt, hint of pale malt, hint of hop, and a hint of of citrus. Overall, good appearance, amazingly great aroma, but the body is greatly lacking in comparison to the strength of the aroma.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

First ever review. Poured from a bottle into a new belgium globe glass.

A - Nice dark golden almost copper in color. Thick cream color head that really seemed to last for a couple of minutes.

S - Sweeter smell with a stronger alcohol smell on the end of it. lots of fruit on it as well.

T - Pretty smooth tasting. A bit of a bite and it seems like the alcohol taste is more in the middle than the end although it it isnt that high of an alcohol content.
y
M - Seems pretty balanced. Has a nice solid taste that doesn't linger to long. Taste good and not to overly hoppier or complex.

O - Decent beer, Would probably drink again. Not overly impressive but good enough to drink if i needed something differnt.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden hue which leaves a two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is a touch of farmhouse funk,peaches,blackberries,white grapes and grassy herbal hops and i find the Brett really dominates the aroma,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and abit overcarbonated with tastes of peaches,farmhouse funk,bready malts and finished with a bittersweet finish of herbal hops and candy and overall its nice and very drinkable but not really something for special occasions just a solid session beer for me cheers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: A lighter straw color with a huge aggressive white frothy head on a conservative pour. Huge sticky lacing.

S: Barnyard funk, musty, yeasty, some hop citrus.

T: Light fruit is combined with the barnyard brett flavors. Musty, yeasty, some pear and apple, tart floral hops pepper, some slight sweet malt as the finish turns dry and musty again.

M: Carbonation was huge (must be bottle conditioned) as the mouthfeel is dry and prickly.

O: A nice brett beer with a fairly aggressive hop profile. As someone else said, this is almost an Orval clone that is not as good.

A good brett beer, but not a great brett beer. Give me a Matilda any day of the week, it has more balance and complexity. Still, not bad.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

its better than average, but its a weird brew. smells like a well hopped belgian yeasty pale ale, which it indeed claims to be, but the flavor is more akin to a wild or sour ale. very pungent yeasty funk going on, totally dominating in fact. good malt balance and hop accents underneath, but i think the balance is off. mouthfeel is way too carbonated here. or maybe just in regards to its medium to heavy body, which seems an improper paradox here. 7% abv is nice and works well, but this one could use a tune up. lots of potential here.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 07-03-12. Sampled more than a year later on August 13, 2013.

The pour is pale yellow to golden with a tremendous white and light puffy head. Some haze and busy carbonation.

The aroma is quite nice with an inviting Belgian pale malts, yeast, and Belgian sugar ester with a little clove and nutmeg out back.

The body is in the medium range with a bit of acidity. That could be due to the age of the bottle.

The taste has an upfront toasted biscuit malt character at first which is superseded by a powerful peppery and mildly dry finish.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Great Divide tulip. Pours a cloudy medium golden amber with massive overproduction of foam; a careful pour was 80% foam and it took a long time to get enough in the glass for a taste; the massive head dissipated completely to a thin film, ring around the glass and pillowy lacing. Aroma of light bready malt, both Belgian and wild yeast, Belgian spicing and a hint of citrus. Flavor is very light bready malt with a strong dose of Bretty wild yeast and hints of apple and stone fruit juice. Finishes with lingering wild yeast and light hops. Light bodied. I'm not a huge fan of wild yeasts, but enjoy a touch of Brett or wild yeast to a sufficiently complex ale; this one did not support the level of wild yeast to my taste. It is light and overall pleasant, but too single note to hold my interest.

Refrigerated 22 oz. bottle, poured into tulip glass

A - Deep amber color, even slow pour results in very large head (4 fingers plus) that lasts a while and produces significant lacing

S - Brett predominates (as it should), then some fruitiness and yeastiness

T - Yeasty/malty at first with a hint of spiciness, then the Brett kicks in and it ends pretty sour

M - A bit thin and dry, moderate carbonation.

O - A pretty good effort, like all the Green Flash offerings I've tried. It's a relatively uncomplex flavor, or I would have bumped up to an overall 4 instead of 3.5, but it's a close call.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

So sudsy with such a creamy mouthfeel. Handsome amber color in the Brigand snifter. Thoroughly unmistakable with that slash of Brett funkiness. Rather bitter, though it seems to hit more up front as the yeast and other peculiarities move in. But it's still more like an IPA scale of bitterness. Browned biscuit taste with a fair amount of malt. Here's a good test, if you can describe this edgy stuff. On the sharp side. Nose of fermenting apples with a little cardboard.

Seems a little more bitter than the last time I tasted it. I was a little taken aback, as I thought it was perfectly balanced before. Will be interesting to see if it's evolving in the bottle with all the sediment and bacteria. Four-pack of 12 oz bottles from Barons Marketplace in San Diego

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Served from the bottle into a globed DFH glass

A- Poured a hazy medium amber color with fluffy head that leaves quite a bit of spotty lace

S- Hay funk, banana, clove, lemon, and bready notes. Very well balanced aroma

T- Big funky barnyard hay taste, lemon, bready and chalky yeasty notes. A very unique flavor profile, I can't quite put my finger on some of these flavors, but it is spicy, yeasty, and funky.

M- High prickly carbonation, kind of dry chalky quality

O- A very unique tasting beer. I like it, but not sure how often I would go reach for a beer like this. I heard this is very similar to Orval, which I had recently and did not like. I notice some similarities in aroma and a little in taste, but I actually like this beer and did not care for Orval at all. I don't get the overly bitterness and salty qualities I got with Orval.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Pours a clear, golden orange(until the sediment turns the clarity to a haze) with a huge white head. O.K. lacing throughout.

S- Slight clove spice, hops, and an "unknown" "funk" to my senses.

T- Hops. Just a hint of sweet clove spice at the start. Followed by the "unknown" "funk".

M- Clean. Somewhat dry finish. O.K. carbonation.

O- This is my second Green Flash beer. Either my taste buds are uneducated or something is a miss for me with this brewery. Could it be "Brett"? Only asking as I have not had that style. There is an aftertaste here that I am simply not a fan of.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

When I opened the bottle I immediately put my nose to the lip. I get a ton of the yeast. I like this horse-blanket smell.

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. I get a ton of foam on the pour. I recommend letting the beer settle for a minute after opening, or be patient until your first sip. The upside is clumpy foam making for some cloud-like lacing on the side of my glass.

I really enjoy the smell coming off the top of this glass. You get some really good saison like sour quality. I also detect a little bit of spicyness. There wasn't any hoppiness that I could pick up.

The flavor is a little bit of a challenge. I get a decent amount of bitterness. This is one of those beers that smells much better than the taste.

Overall this was a good beer, but it is a challenging drinker.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Crisp and hoppy. A really nice blend of classic belgian sweetness and spiciness with a west coast hop profile. Nothing is overwhelming yet the flavors feel so big. Like a belgian style tripel with a west coast twang. Quite nice. Big yet brisk mouthfeel. Euro hop bitterness, slightly spicy finish. Tasty and drinkable. Little bit of alcohol heat but doesnt take away from the style much.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a hazy apricot color with a huge rocky white head. Left behind lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma of herbal hops, clove, menthol and earthy brett notes.

Like the aroma, the taste was herbal with clove, menthol and brett. Menthol notes lingered thru the finish.

Medium bodied and slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

A unique-tasting Belgian pale with the menthol so prominent. I like it but didn't love it.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Crazy volumes of carbonation. Opening the cap let off a hiss like a tractor trailer releasing its air brakes. I barely poured a dash of the beer and the whole glass is filled to the brim with foam. Be careful when opening/pouring. The head is an off-white mountain of clouds. The body is a hazy medium shade of gold. Good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a lot of saison character from the beer. It has a horsey barnyard smell to it...a lot of funk and sour scents.

T: The taste mimics the scent closely, focusing on a musky funk quality. There is a little bit of bread flavor, and a mild hop bitterness...kind of rustic tasting...a bit like rye bread in the aftertaste. Some sour notes in there as well, but it kind-of tinges the tongue and lips then dissipates. Some of the hop character comes through in the aftertaste as well...it is a very complex beer. My rating went from a 3...3.5...to a 4 while I continued to drink the beer.

M: It has a very nice mouthfeel. It's bright and perky, and the bitterness seems to counter-balance that by grounding the overall feel of the beer. It feels medium bodied. Drinkability is moderate, because the beer tends to be a bit abrasive with its sourness and bitterness. It's not something I would have more than a bottle of.

O: Overall I found the beer to be interesting and complex. I would recommend it to die-hard fans of Belgian sours, saisons, farmhouse ales, or just interesting beers in general. The carbonation seemed overdone, which makes it difficult to pour the beer (even for a highly carbonated Belgian beer). I probably won't be buying it again, but I don't regret buying it either.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy deep golden color with a huge fluffy white head that persists forever.
Smells of pepper and spice mostly. Light hints of sweet honey like malt countered with grapefruit and zest. Taste is spicy with pepper, lightly sweet with honey like malt, lemony and citrusy with hops. Medium body with a spirited level of carbonation and a fizzy syrupy chalky mouthfeel. Decent Belgian pale that I'm glad I got to try, but probably not something I would seek out again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Sediment at the bottom of the bottle; a careful pour yields a massive head: fluffy, cratered, and eggshell white, it really takes its time settling down into a nice pancake; leaves behind plenty of lacing. The beer is sort of a burnt gold with streams of carbonation.

S: Lemon meringue pie or key lime pie. Go figure. Sort of a baby powder smell too. Overall the aroma of this brew is mild. Gets a little funky as the beer warms which I liked.

T: Fruit snacks and a little fresh grass. Some bitter hops in the aftertaste.

M: Soft like most BPAs, but wetter even though it’s a litte more hopped. Fizzy. Alcohol is basically undetectable.

O: It’s appearance (right down to the stylin’ bottle) was its strongpoint for me, followed by the aroma. I found the taste a little bland, and the aftertaste phenol-ically clawing. If you like Green-Flash and you’re curious about their take on a BPA, give it a shot.

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So much foam. I had to pay extra attention on the second bottle to make sure I hadn't just goofed it the first time around; but it does actually pour with a 5 finger head.

The smell may be the best part of this beer, it's bright, citrusy and funky like wet hay. The taste is all funk, with a little more malt than you'd expect.

Overall, just okay. Not the brewery's best effort.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Everytime I have this beer it overflows my beer glass. The beer is just so carbonated that it actually hurts the brew in my opinion. The taste is good but it's hard to judge when I only get half a glass because the other half is on the bar dripping down the barstool. The mouthfeel of this brew is just a mess.

Bottom line: good taste when you can get it into your mouth.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tasting glass at the brewery.

Funky for a pale ale. Is there some Brett in here? Whatever Belgian yeast Green Flash uses in their Belgian pales I'm not crazy about. Lightly tart. Fruity. Interesting. Ultimately, I don't think it's for me.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle at Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured a yeast streaked medium golden colour. Two fingers of fluffy white head on top. Colour turned hazy after the yeast had time to blend in. Good minute streaks of lace and one finger of retention.

S - Super sour. Hay, lemon, mustry and super funky. Can't wait to dive in.

T - Less sour than the aroma would lead you to believe. Light malty character and some light wood.

M - No finish. The flavour simply disappears. Medium to full body and good carbonation.

O/D - Weird mouthfeel and less sourness than the aroma. If those issues weren't there this would be a really nice beer. Good but lacking.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a big white head that takes a while to settle and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is fruity with green apple and apricot, a bit of brett and some breadiness. Initial taste is some green apple and apricot. A bit of brett presence. Finish is bready and slightly drying. Quite nice. Light bodied. Medium carbonation. I'd be curious to see how this evolves, but not sure if I have the space.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I went to the store looking for Orval. They had sold out that morning, but Rayon Vert was recommended to me as an "Orval clone." Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't hoping for an American Orval and had tasted it on its own merits. In any case, while it certainly owes its influence to Orval, Orval it is not.

Rayon Vert is pretty dry and heavy on the brett. A bit bitter, there's a strong hop presence, as well as lemon candy, honey lozenges, and herbal tea flavors. I didn't feel it was a very balanced beer: while there were certainly many flavors, they almost seemed in competition and didn't really blend.

I would like to try the beer again in a blind tasting; perhaps with an open mind, I might have a different tasting experience. But for me, it doesn't rank among the better Belgian Pales, and it certainly doesn't compare to Orval.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark orange with a huge 4-finger white head that sticks all over the rim and reduces slowly, leaving lots of lace.

Reading about this, it sounded like GF was going for something very similar to Orval, and I'd say they certainly Americanized the Orval character, losing the subtleties in this nose with its notes of bread, blood orange pith, pear, honey and earthy herbs.

The medium bodied palate is bright with the slight Brett-tartness and a big carbonation- flavors of bitter orange, apples and earthy herbal tones. The middle brings a sizable bitterness while the booze makes a statement on the finish, lingering with the breadiness and herbal characters.

Overall not bad, but as I've said, it certainly tastes like an Americanized beer, with nowhere near the complexity of the brew I think its trying to mimic. That said, though, this is certainly a candidate for the cellar, and its ageability gives it a few extra points.

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.