Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: notchucknorris on 08-29-2012)

buckyp, Oct 13, 2012

ZethOfTheNorth, Nov 20, 2012

Whiskeydeez, Oct 13, 2012

clevbrown2, Feb 19, 2013

Lebby, Jan 06, 2013

therealsikes, Aug 04, 2014
Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Oct 10, 2012
2.76/5  rDev -14.8%

B_hoov88, Nov 08, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

A - opaque, dark brown with good head and retention
S - lots of spice, peppery, a bit medicinal and floral
T - unbalanced. Too much spice with a pretty poor after taste. Different.
M - taste aside it's got an okay mouthfeel. Medium-full bodied with average carbonation
O - dumping it. I can't drink this.

Tncapehart, Jun 02, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

I had this from a pilsner glass.

This is a very black beer. On top you get about two fingers of pillowy head. This retains well and leaves clumps of foam on the side of the glass.

I like the smell coming off of this. There is a good sour presence. The horse blanket smell works well. I also pick up a little bit of red wine there.

The flavor is a car wreck. There is a lot going on here, but none of it works well. You get coffee, sour, some infection, a lot of spice, and I think I even got some rye there. This mix of flavors has absolutely no balance.

This is the first time I have not enjoyed something from Green Flash. I was really disappointed.

ummswimmin, Nov 10, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Even though I paid $1.75 for this I still feel cheated. Color is that of a stout with no inescapable light and a 1/4 inch of deep mocha head. For some reason I wanted this to smell like a Black IPA but alas little to no hops in the nose just mint, anise, and a touch of coriander. Taste is only mildly palatable and makes me wonder why they even bottled this monstrosity. Burn rosemary, deep black anise (which isn't terrible but not great) and a mildly fruity yeast in the finish. Mouthfeel isn't that terrible giving me a medium chewy body much bigger than I would expect for such a low ABV Saison.

Overall this beer is pretty much a fail in the sense of friendship. It made me hate green Flash all over again (still can't drink west coast IPA it taste like soap)

DrDemento456, Mar 25, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -9%

Ok, every once in a while you come across a beer that does not sit well with you. I am not saying that this beer is bad, but it just wasnt for me.

The pour was ok, semi- dark, but thats it. I couldn't pick up any aromas, hops or anything.
The taste was overwhelming. To me, I was hit with so many different spices and flavors that I couldn't enjoy any of them.

The aftertaste left something bitter for me. Almost to the point, I felt the after taste was skunked.

We cant like every beer we taste!

rdilauro, Oct 26, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a globe glass. This rendition of the Friendship Brew pours pretty much jet black and with a fairly steady cap of mocha foam. A bit nontraditional yet I'm still interested to a degree.

Aroma is a blend of subtle Belgian yeast esters, some more prominent spices and a backdrop of chocolate malt notes. Coriander and chocolate are quite forward here and limit the yeast influence once the cap settles.

Flavor is a bit harsh and bitter, with the spice, dark malts and bitter hops combining to render a dry and brief finish. Feel is dry and unexciting, though more from the dark malts than a lack of sweetness per se. Surely lacks the complexities normally associated with the style.

Overall an interesting beer though not standing very tall in the Saison world. Just as a Black IPA fights back the hop aroma normally found, this Black Saison does the same with respect to the yeast. The result is perhaps interesting yet odd, and limits drinkability to a large degree.

HalfFull, Sep 13, 2012

JohneHoodlum, Nov 07, 2012

mportnoy, Jan 20, 2013

yspiff, Friday at 03:59 AM

electtodefer, May 13, 2014
Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.