Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: notchucknorris on 08-29-2012

3.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Deep, dark body on the border between black & purple, thick mocha head, sticks around nicely.

Interesting, heavily herbed nose. Can't quite put my finger on exactly what herb this evokes, but it really reminds me Saison du BUFF, I think sage is the dominant note. Throws in a little mint, anise, lime, but yeah, that "other" herbal note is way stronger than any of those. Some fig & floral smells, too. Tough getting at the actual beer through all this, but a pretty unique smell among beers. Ooh, I think I got it - cardamom!

Again, strong herbal & dried flower taste at first, right on the border where fruity turns to flowery. Moves into a mildly roasty, sweet character, which makes for a curious interplay with the floral aspect. Like many ''black'' hybrids, ends with that roasty flavor, but the cardamom lingers.

Both silky & heavy on the tongue at the same time - very smooth & kind of slides right along, but leaves a lot in its wake. Medium-bodied, & that roasty character leaves a slightly ashy feeling.

It took me til halfway through the beer before I realized what it reminded me of: Epic Ales' OTTO-Optimizer, an ale with cardamom & roasted barley. I think this is more balanced than that, but it was fun reliving that crazy rollercoaster of herbs & roast. A unique beer, enjoyed it enough but can't say I'd revisit it a bunch.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Chilled 22 oz. bomber into a 12-oz tulip. Bottled 7.31.12.

Look- Deep ruby brown, started with a glass full of foam, needed four pours to get it into the two tulips. Head is loose, pearlescent off-white, falls quickly. Sparse lacing.

Smell- Funky, lighter than expected. Spicy, minty, floral. No trace of darker malts. Dominated by the yeast.

Taste- Similar to the nose, light citrus, mint, funky, touches of roast and black malt here and there, but pretty vague- more like cola than anything. There are a number of things going on here but they don't add up to anything good- spices come across as medicinal. Finishes ashy and metallic, borderline unpleasant.

Mouthfeel- Prickly, dry-ish, medium heft. Coating, lingering listerine feel. 5.7%? I would have guessed at least 8% with how harsh it is.

Overall- It's got a feel that I generally associate with an infected homebrew- slick, overcarbonated, harsh, metallic finish. Vaguely reminiscent of a few of Jester King's wild yeast-spiked offerings, but theirs are actually good, whereas this one was pretty difficult to choke down. Feels sort of half-done, like they were shooting for something and fell short. I wouldn't buy it again and would probably pass if it was offered for free. A pity, as I generally like Green Flash.

I'm going to knock another half-point off of my overall score because the brewers chose to A) bottle the stuff and B) charge so much for it.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

P: Black slightly transparent body with mahogany tint. A massive mountain if rocky brown ice cream float head. Great retention that settles to a creamy crown. 3 rings of lacing cling to the sides.

S: Roasted malt, cocoa nibs, dark fruits, cumin, cardamom, black pepper, clove and faint licorice. Earthy farmhouse yeast and roasted grains. Aroma is similar to the spring time gain laundry detergent.

T/M: Lots of char in the taste with a bouquet of floral hops, dark cocoa, chalky yeast and a bite of cayenne pepper midway through the swish. Sweetness from burnt molasses, brown sugar and dark fruits. Medium-full body boasting zesty carbonation. Finish is semi dry with lingering spice, wild onions and leaves a dirty grainy feel behind.

O: Super complex nose with a great a roasted earthy spiced profile that delivers sugary sweetness to bring balance. The aroma is the main attraction. Im not a huge fan of dark saisons but this one is pretty decent.

3.07/5  rDev -10.2%

I contemplated the merits of Friendship with a tulip.

Appearance- The pour results in two-inches of foam colored like milk chocolate. It recedes so slowly and leaves behind a wall of sticky lace. The body is not quite black, but oh so close. The beer looks formidable so far.

Smell- Is this what mint extract mixed with black pepper would smell like? Oh, and some roasted malt hiding under that interesting bouquet. I do not necessarily think these are two scents that should be mixed. And I definitely do not detect your run of the mill saison flavors either.

Taste- There is more acidity than I would have expected from what the nose offered. It is not a nice surprise either. That weird herbal smell transfers a little to the palate, but there is less mint and more haymow. I also get some peppercorn and roastiness in the finish. I just don't get this amalgamation of flavors.

Mouth feel- Friendship is silky smooth and a solid medium body.

Overall- Maybe someone out there will like this minty, peppery, roasty concoction. I just am not that someone.

4.17/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip is a beer that is quite dark. On top is a dark beige head two fingers thick.

Aroma: Musty, black licorice, lots of spice, band aid, yeasty, light coriander and some faint cinamon.

Taste: Tons of spice in the front and lots of dryness on the palate. Black licorice, yeasty, coriander, light tones of cinamon, band aid.

Notes: A great Saison nice and dry. Cheers.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours dark cola brown out of the bottle and turns black in the glass. There is a thick, light tan head that dissipates very slowly. There is plenty of lacing left behind on the glass as the head dissipates. The aroma of Brett hits the nose up front. There's citrus, roasted malt, and some other spices as well. It definitely conjures up memories of Rayon Vert. Dark roasted malt and those spices hit up front along with that farmhouse yeast. More of the citrus comes out as I sip it. The hops don't really show up very much here. The roasted malts add some of that bitterness you would expect. The flavors are unique. The body is light with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a decent beer that's worth trying.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

dark opaque brown, very thin head that disappears quickly. nose is huge black licorice with dry bitter cocoa. taste is toasted barley/malts, licorice and an array of pie-type spices that i can't pick apart. odd mix of flavors with the black licorice standing out strongly. aftertaste is more licorice and a stout-esque burnt toast rind.

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

A- pours a deep black with a velvity two fingers of dark tan head. Great retention with good lacing.

S- beautiful blend of roasted malt, spice and anise. A kiss of leafy floral hop in the middle. Yeast spice on the finish.

T- rustic dark bready malt envelopes the palate at first. The spice kicks in with mint, anise and nutmeg.touch of floral hop with a lingering roast character on the finish.

MF- sharp mouthfeel with a medium body. Expressive carbonation.

D- good drinkability.

Overall a very unique beer.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%

Split a 22 oz bottle poured into a duvel glass

A: pours black with a finger of mocha colored head after a gentle pour, the head shows some decent retention and settles into a film, leavs some good spots of lacing... Looks good.

S: smell is dominated with herbs and spices, I get mint, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, some other floraly notes, and way in the background I start to pick up some slightly chocolaty dark Malts, seeing as I am not a huge fan of herbs and spiced beers I did not find this aroma very appealing. I also do not get a whole lot of Belgian yeast aroma, perhaps a touch of Clove, but overall I feel the spices overwhelmed the aroma.

T: unfortunately for me, the taste is much like the aroma, although the hops deffinatly make there presence know here, I get a nice west coast American hops right off the bat blended into the spices.... But again I feel as though the spice dominates the taste of this beer... I wish the Malts were more forward and the spices were toned way back. I do not get a whole lite of Belgian yeast flavors from this beer, as I feel they ate drowned out by the herbal/floral/spice notes.

M: medium body with medium carbonation.... Finish is dry and leavs a herby/floral aftertaste that I am not to find of in my mouth.

O: I did not enjoy this beer, too many things that I personally do not enjoy jammed into one bottle, I feel I would have liked this more if the malts were much more forward and the spices were seriously toned back.... Not my cup of tea.

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Ok, every once in a while you come across a beer that does not sit well with you. I am not saying that this beer is bad, but it just wasnt for me.

The pour was ok, semi- dark, but thats it. I couldn't pick up any aromas, hops or anything.
The taste was overwhelming. To me, I was hit with so many different spices and flavors that I couldn't enjoy any of them.

The aftertaste left something bitter for me. Almost to the point, I felt the after taste was skunked.

We cant like every beer we taste!

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A new style for me, so I am not sure how it "should" taste. However, I liked it. A very complex brews. Pours a clear, deep brown looking black in the glass. Thick and enormous coffee head settled to a quarter-inch rocky cover. Heavy lacing. Nose is sharply herbal with sage, mint tea, rose, chamomile. Taste is initially lightly sweet, then delicately sour with umami notes. The finish is bitter and floral. Avg carbonation. Texture is slick. Finish is bitter and long. Overall, it was a fascinating beer. Complex and interesting. Dark and wild with an interesting spiciness and rough finish. Not at all forgettable, bur for the right reasons.

2.39/5  rDev -30.1%

Had on tap as 1/3 of a flight. Looks like a small pint glass, maybe 4 oz

Solid thick black with a super sticky beige head.

Smell is like a horse barn, alfalfa and hay and earth

Taste is more of the horse barn. Maybe some mint or spice with a bitter coffee finish.

Mouth feel is balanced with carbonation and smoothness.

Overall, I'm glad that I didn't have a full glass of this. The small glass was plenty, if not too much.

2.19/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Bottled 7/31/12. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Near black with a tan one finger head. Excellent retention and lacing everywhere.

Aroma: Huge peppery spice, medicinal. Juniper. Roasted malt.

Taste: Shew, where to begin? This beer is a mess of flavors and it's not good. overly spiced, peppery, juniper, coriander, orange peel, ginger? It's too medicinal and leaves a bad flavor in the mouth. Phenolic, slight bitterness (in a bad way) Just an overall mess.

Mouthfeel:Medium bodied with a slightly prickly carbonation. The flavors are too overwhelming to to appreciate any good mouthfeel qualities this beer could offer. Kinda like someone sprayed perfume in my mouth.

Overall: Glad I only bought one of these. Terrible.

3.83/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 650ml bottle. Pours a black colour with a big tan head. The nose is a crazy mix of sour funk, herbal botanicals (anise/licorice) and saison yeast notes. On the palate it's very dry with notes of dry cocoa powder, Jaegermeister, funk and spice. The finish has lots of palate drying tannins and bitterness. Medium bodied. A very unique brew.

2.16/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- jet black, 2" long lasting fluffy khaki head

S- mint, herbs, spices, black licorice, citrus

T- follows the nose in a horrible way with added funky hops and a metallic twang

M- watery, average carbonation

O- looked nice, smell was interesting, drain pour...

3.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a large khaki head. Good retention and decent lacing.

S: Pepper, caramel, and some roasted malt. Brown sugar and some dark chocolate. Some spice and herbal and spice smell that's difficult for me to describe. A bit of mint, maybe some clove. Fun to smell.

T: Nice dose of bitter roasted malt upfront. Herbal and spice profile come in a bit bitter. Clove, pepper, a bit of allspice, and others that I can't really discern. Finishes with a bit of roasted coffee and roasted malt bitterness.

M: Smooth, silky, and medium-full body. Carbonation is medium. A bit wet.

O: This was my first saison and it left me a bit confused. Nothing off-putting about the flavors or smell but was a weird/interesting experience overall.

4.38/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, NY and was completely enamored. This is from the bottle, purchased at Tasty Beverage Company in Raleigh, North Carolina.

A - Pours a very lively black body, which is assisted by a light tan head.

S - Very sweet, but carries that spiciness of a saison. Picking up some esters as well. Lively pepper, clove, lime, smoke.

T - Take what you know about a saison and a black ale and put it all together. The earthiness and spice of a saison clashes with the malty and bready backbone of a black beer, combining into a beautiful melange.

M - Frothy, creaminess upfront. Moves around nicely.

O - Probably one of my favorite beers of all time thus far, and hopefully available from Green Flash from here on out.

4.29/5  rDev +25.4%

A- black with some tannish head... good head retention with lacing

S - Lots of herbal spices, rosemary, thyme, SAGE with some sweet belgian tones

T - Lots of herbal spices with great hops, the dark malts provide a good balance to this herbal spice hop blend(more mild and earthy)

M - medium body with medium carbonation, a good spice aftertaste

O - What a unique beer, really tasty, not for all but really good!

4.47/5  rDev +30.7%

A - Dark brown with creamy tan head that flourishes. Good lacing and residuals.

S - Spicy yeast, slightly wild-yeast vibe, with rosemary, anise, and thyme finishing up the profile. Zesty and forward and quite unique. There's some hoppy citrus, with a toasted, roasted malt backing the whole thing up. Some strong roast qualities (soy sauce, charcoal) coming out at the end.

T - Spicy yeast forward with strong bitter that gives way to coffee and chocolate with some subtle fruity tones. Very complex for the style. Somewhere between a saison and a brown ale. Almost a new style entirely. Tropical fruits underlie the spicy, zesty front. A beer to think about.

M - Creamy, rich, yet bright, with a good carbonation.

O - A very unique beer that's worth a try for anyone looking for something new. Has many qualities to consider. Not a session brew, but certainly a good one to talk about and make friends over.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz bottle into bulbous St Feuillien stemmed glass.

Full carbonation with fine bubbles (bottle conditioned).

Aroma is dominated by spice and menthol.

Tastes kinda like bitters and mint chocolate latte, some chai as well. Definitely some Brett in there too. For spices, I'd guess from ginger, eucalyptus, some kind of pepper, cardamom, anise, allspice, or sage, and in the Belgian tradition I'd bet on grains of paradise, coriander, and/or some kind of fruit peel. It's an interesting and complex spice presence, and certainly a strong one.

Slick mouthfeel with dry finish and lingering herbal bitterness. Fairly astringent and somewhat metallic.

Unique for sure, it really grew on me but I'd recommend sharing the bottle. It reminds me of bitters and beer cocktails, which I thoroughly enjoy, so I think that's why I like more than most.

Should be interesting to age.

1.49/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My first BA review. Sorry to say it was for this. I had high expectations for this when I picked up a bomber. All I can really say is that it was like drinking a menthol cigarette. Disappointing. Good appearance and an enticing description, but I just did not enjoy this at all.

4.05/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled 8-7-12

A--Opaque brown/black with beige, bubbly, one-inch head. Good lacing considering large bubbles in head broke down quickly.

S--Subtle, earthy herb like sage or thyme.

T--On the bitter side, which I like, especially in the finish, which I also like. I can't quite figure out what the dominant flavor is, but it's there, and it will pretty much determine whether you like this beer. It is like molasses spiced with something like cloves, but I could be way off. Overall this is not a sweet beer, and the hops manage to shine through everything else.

M--Crisp, strong carbonation, but with touch of syrupiness. Nice.

O--I think it's an excellent fall brew--not too dark, or too cloying like many other fall oktoberfest beers. Nice Cali-Belgium collaboration.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance- As poured, 3-finger light brown head. Very lasting &
excellent lace. Black, almost opaque. I actually tried to shine some light through it and it blocked it all out.

Aroma- Big. Mint, medicinal, herbal, you can smell the funk.

Taste- That minty flavor transforms a bit with the roastiness, but it's still in-your-face. Much rounder in flavor than I would suspect from the aroma. Nice light acidic tang, slight clove and ~allspice background.

Mouthfeel-light to medium creamy body. Moderate carbonation. It's just very-interesting.

I didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I am. I would definitely drink it again on a cool saturday afternoon.

4.95/5  rDev +44.7%

On tap, this beer began by tasting like the St. Feuillien Saison, then it changed to having lemony notes, then it finished with the light chocolate and mouth feel of a porter. I went back to have it 3 or 4 times while the bar near my house had it on tap and I never regreted it. They served it out of a porter glass, which may have enhanced the porter finish...

Had it out of a bottle the other day, after searching for months for somewhere that carried it, and it was bitter. The lemon was over powering, the traditional Belgian saison flavor non-existent, and it had none of the appearance the one on tap had. Looked and tasted like a completely different beer. While I give it a 5 on tap, I'd give it a 1 from the bottle....

2.15/5  rDev -37.1%

Started out looking like a winner. Nice color and an interesting aroma. The nose was almost medicinal? Then the taste...had a hard time even getting it down. The face I made had the whole group laughing. So much so that they had to "see how bad it was" we all had the same reaction. I think it may have been infected or something. It had a distinct band-aid taste that was very unpleasent. One guy at the bar who was sipping his Sam Adams Winter lager had to ask what was so funny and decided to see how bad it was. We protested that the bartender should warn people before pouring that it was not for everyone. Very disapointed since I usually enjoy the offerings from Green Flash and normally like a saison...

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.