2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green Bullet Triple IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Bullet Triple IPAGreen Bullet Triple IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: KansasBeerLover on 04-30-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,240 | Reviews: 222 | Show All Ratings:
madflabby

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%

Wow, I am amazed more people don't feel the same way I do about this beer.

Appearance - Deep gold with medium carbonation.

Smell: Citrus and hops and then some. My mouth starts to water immediately.

Taste: I take a drink and can't tell it is 10.75 ABV smooth and delicious. Hops and citrus abound but again, you can't taste the ABV. It's not just about getting drunk easy on a drinkable 10+ ABV beer. Green Flash knows how to brew a delicious beer and this is definitely one of those. An instant gem I rank up there w/Russian River's Pliny the Elder, Firestone Walker's Double Jack, and Stone Ruination as one of my favorite IPAs. In fact, if I had to rank the beers listed above this one would come in first.

Mouthfeel - Sits on my tongue and teases me. "You know you want another sip". "Yes I do!" my brain and my taste buds say to each other.

Overall - One of the single best beers I have ever tasted.

10-25-2013 06:14:53 | More by madflabby
sudzguzzler

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I have tasted in a while. Up there with Founders Double Trouble and Lagunitas Sucks. Nice yellow straw color, very little head, viscous full mouth feel, in your face hops I am guessing simcoe or galaxy. Very satisfying and delicious . Going out tomorrow to buy more.

09-29-2013 04:40:50 | More by sudzguzzler
PSLBeerGuy

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Recommended to me by the guy in the craft beer store (Hudson Vine) next door to my hotel in NJ. Opened the bottle and immediately smelled grapefruit. A great IPA (I'm a hophead), even better than Stone IPA, which I think is a great IPA. It's so well balanced that even at 10.0% ABV I couldn't sense the alcohol on the nose or on the palate. Plenty of hops, but so well balanced that they don't over power the taste.

12-14-2013 02:25:08 | More by PSLBeerGuy
vette2006c5r

4.66/5  rDev +18.9%

Green Bullet pours a copper color with a large lacing head. There is a very hoppy aroma; very floral. The taste has a bold hoppy flavor, very very floral, but not bitter. While hoppy the flavors do not burn the palette; its a very easy drinking yet bold IIPA. Overall its fantastic, very flavorful, yet so easy to drink.

11-10-2013 19:16:32 | More by vette2006c5r
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.66/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, best by 3/10/14. Pours a cloudy orange, with a one off white head, that leaves behind plenty of sticky lace. Smell passion fruit, pineapple, grapefruit, hint of hard candy, fresh pine, and earthy hops. Taste matches perfectly, maybe my palate is damaged because it is really well balanced, tropical with some grapefruit and pine threw out. Body is medium, perfect carbonation, not dry, and holy s--- is it drinkable! This is awesome. Not sure why they are calling it a triple and I really don't care.

11-13-2013 21:51:23 | More by SawDog505
SanDNigel

4.61/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into 8 oz Tulip
A- Looks like a high ABV IPA Gold with disappearing white head
S- The hops and alcohol do battle with each other, to the drinkers benefit. Hops...then booze. Smells delicious. Sweet syrupy malty backbone
T- A very well balanced big IPA is the first thing that comes to my mind. The hops are still the star, but supported by the malty sweetness.
M- Practically perfect size/carb level. Lets you thoroughly taste the beer but doesn't let it stick to your palate
O- This is a great beer.I too often find big IPAs much too syrupy and sweet. That is not the case with this one. I really enjoy it, will suggest it to friends and will most definitely buy it again...like tomorrow

09-17-2013 06:37:58 | More by SanDNigel
Kuaff

Alaska

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I took this Green Bullet at cellar temperature in a tulip.

A big and puffy three-finger head and that classic golden-orange IPA color.

An aroma of pine, spicy, dank hops, and oranges. Really potent and enticing. I think I might even smell a little mango.

A nice citrus kick hits my tongue first, and then thick, spicy hop flavor fills out the middle. It has a dry, biscuity, bitter, and piny finish that has an orange peel sensation and makes me feel a little like I just took a drink of some fresh-squeezed orange juice. The aftertaste is really fantastic, and everything leading up to it is quite complementary, and just plain tasty.

The feel is kind of... medium. Yeah. It's pretty easy to drink this fast without "chewing" on a sip for very long. But, it's so much more enjoyable to take my time and chew on it.

This is a damn delicious imperial (which I say to avoid the double/triplecontroversy, hehe) IPA. I recommend you try it without delay. And that's all I have else to say.

12-05-2013 17:31:51 | More by Kuaff
jngrizzaffi

4.56/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark, cloudy amber color. Thin foamy head with small amount of lacing along the glass. Has a citrus, apple type of smell. Very malty taste with citrus. Strong piney hop finish. The malt persists throughout. Strong bitter aftertaste. There is a sweet aftertaste. Caramel maybe. Hides alcohol very well. Good for an after work wind down.

12-18-2013 02:28:52 | More by jngrizzaffi
davet100

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

New seasonal from green flash, had in bottle and on draft. Very interesting beer, pours a clean bronze colour with a small head. The aroma for me was difficult to pinpoint, although I certainly detected the tropical and fruity notes of the New Zealand hop varietal along with a small amount of pine and plenty of booze. The taste follows suit, I am quite familiar with some of the New Zealand hops, specifically the pacific gem which I am fond of, so while i sort of knew what to expect, my expectations were met and in many respects, superseded. Tropical and fruity notes certainly dominate, pineapple, mango, and guava hit you upfront. This is followed by a some citrusy/lemony notes which compliment well. The malt presence is very light; a quality I personally like in an ipa, and this allows an aggressive, dry bitterness to show through. Although I think the 10.1% alcohol is fairly well hidden, it is certainly noticeable but not in a way that overpowers the great flavors that are harmoniously profiled. Very clean and crisp on the palate making it surprisingly drinkable for its strength. I found that this offering drew on some of qualities of their imperial ipa and to a slightly lesser extent, palate wrecker. I found it interesting to drink, and just like the imperial ipa, whilst difficult to judge first up, by the end I was intrigued and converted. All in all, this is an excellent ipa, and for me, the best green flash offering to date. Despite the fairly steep price tag here in nova, I will be looking out for more of this again throughout the remainder of the fall/early winter.

08-28-2013 19:29:52 | More by davet100
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love this beer! Fantastic clean hop profile with enough sweet malt to nicely support the hops. Pours a hazy orange with a light head. Nice stank on the nose with strongly herbal hops. The taste replicates this with a deep bitterness joining in and a lingering light sweetness. The finish is long with spicy and piney hops and quite bitter- it just keeps going. Almost a bit prickly from the spiciness in the mouth. This is a superlative beer, and I'm surprised the ratings are so low overall. A definite hop-head's beer.

12-03-2013 00:58:54 | More by Georgiabeer
AdamBear

4.46/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-cloudy dark gold. Lack of head

S-very strong scent aged hops. A touch of weedyness to it as well.

T-comes in with a great flavor of aged hops. It's a very strong flavor full of weeds and maybe even peppercorn, not so much bitterness though. There's a good citrus flavor to it as well. The citrus is really long lasting. It's good with a noticeable sweetness.

M-medium carbonation with a semi dry finish.

O-this is a really good, strong IPA. It definitely has an extra edge over most double IPAs. The more I drink it, the more bitter it becomes and the stronger the flavors come out. I really recommend this.

01-18-2014 00:10:49 | More by AdamBear
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip
2013 batch

A- A brilliant hazy orange with a nice white head.

S- A pungent hop nose, not surprisngly. An absolute citrus bomb, some pine and cat piss as well.

T- A strong bitterness at first. A very bold and fresh hop presence. A big orange flavor and a slight grapefruit. A strong cat pee but in a good way. A bit of a pinecone flavor and a resinous herbal note. Not much going on here past the hops but thats ok by me.

M- Bitter but not undrinkable.. A sticky mouthfeel. A big beer but surprisingly drinkable.

O- I really dig this beer. I feel like this is what their Palate Wrecker should have been.

10-15-2013 01:58:14 | More by TwelveOunces
nick_asian

Nevada

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark orange with a hazy with a fluffy off white head.

S: Really solid pine and citrus backbone going on followed by pineapple, grapefruit, and some dried fruits.

T: Very hop forward with the fruits following along. Finish definitely dominates with the bitterness. I'm a big fan of it. The booze is pretty well hidden as well. You get a bit of warmth in the finish but it's nice.

M: Solid medium body. A tiny bit of roughness, but not anything abnormal.

O: I'm definitely a fan. I'll probably end up getting a few more. If you like the more intense IPAs, then this isn't going to bother you at all.

10-29-2013 05:53:57 | More by nick_asian
Auraan

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a gorgeous clear amber with bubble trailing up the glass and a thin ring of white head. Very good looking IPA, classic in appearance. Scents of citrus pith, pineapple, grapefruit, tropical fruit, and pine. A classic West Coast IPA aroma. Taste is of bitter pine, grapefruit pith, a bit of a spicy hop flavor, strong levels of hop bitterness, though not Palate Wrecker level, with a nice sweet malt backbone. Bitter aftertaste. Very good, it's hop forward but not overwhelmingly so, served very well by the malt balance. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with moderate carbonation, about what I expect for a DIPA. Overall this was a great DIPA, it hit all the usual West Coast hop forward flavors, balanced with a bit of malt. I'd go back to it.

10-17-2013 05:39:05 | More by Auraan
jera1350

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden body with fluffy head of foam and lots of lacing. The nose is fresh and excellent with lots of hoppy goodness. The flavor is complex as hell. Piney, citrus, tropical fruits galore with a strong alcohol presence making it known that this thing is 10% abv. Sticky mouthfeel in a medium body. Overall, an awesome DIPA. The complexity is outstanding and even with the alcohol presence, this thing still drinks very well.

10-30-2013 14:59:23 | More by jera1350
Brad007

Vermont

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slghtly cloudy blonde color with an orange tint and a thick white head into my glass. Very appealing right away.

I can tell right away that it's dry-hopped because there's more aroma than usual upfront and it has a good citrus base. I'm not sure if there's any credence to an actual "triple" IPA but it's certainly hoppy.

Now,t hem's some hops! Citrus-forward with a touch of kiwi and grapefruit. Coats the mouth and the tongue to where all you get are hops.

Ditto for mouthfeel, the best part yet. Savory and bitter and at 10%, you best not chug this one. I do know people who would on a dare though.

I like this TIPA. Heh. Well worth a try if you want hops coating your mouth for hours!

10-21-2013 04:59:39 | More by Brad007
ISmith87

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a nice golden amber color with about 3 fingers of fluffy white head on top that's sticking around (probably the result of aggressive pour). I love the Green Flash bottles, they have a character to them that always sticks out on the shelf.

Smell is crazy, with tons of citrusy.juicy hops, almost like orange juice. Piney, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus zest, orange, mango. Barely any bready malt balance in the background but it's there, and is appropriate for the style.

Taste is like the smell - citrusy/juicy/piney hops, orange juice, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, citrus zest, like a tropical fruit orgy. Bready malt is present in the background but mostly covered by the intense hops.

Mouthfeel is light-medium. aftertaste is intense bitter hops (piney/grapefruit) that sticks around forever. Alcohol is mostly covered, although the warmth can be detected at 10.1% ABV.

Overall, this is a great beer. The bottles I got were really fresh, even though it was tucked all the way back on the shelf @ tw. By comparison to the other high ABV IPAs I think it ranks right up there with the rest of them (RuinTen, Enjoy By, Hoptimum, Hopslam, etc).

09-12-2013 19:29:47 | More by ISmith87
MattyG85

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. Bottle says best by 03/10/14.

Appearance: Pours a bright copper golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid two fingers of off white head with decent retention. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A big bright hop forward aroma with juicy hints of citrus, grass, and herbs. Upfront citrus hops with hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, tangerine, pineapple, apricot, and lemon. Earthy and floral hops with herbal hints of grass and dank pine resin. Sweet malt undertones with hints of caramel, grains, biscuit, cracker, and yeast. Very forward with the hops. A very nice West Coast aroma.

Taste: As big, juicy, and good as the smell is. Big juicy and ripe hop presence with upfront citrus notes of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, apricot, pineapple, tangerine, and lemon zest. Earthy and floral hop notes. Herbal notes of grassy hops and some dank and spicy pine resin. Solid backing of bready malt with some notes of sweet caramel, cracker, grains, biscuit, and yeast. Very juicy and nicely drying bitterness. A very good IPA taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very juicy and nicely bitter and oily. Very drying. Alcohol is hidden well by the hops.

Overall: Another great imperial West Coast IPA. Good mix of citrus and grassy hops with a nice caramel malt undertone.

10-02-2013 07:00:00 | More by MattyG85
DoubleJ

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Kiwi hops, in a Green Flash beer? Well, I heard that Green Flash does that hop thing well, so how could I go wrong? 22 ounces, on to the beer:

The color is dark apricot orange, topped with a half-inch of creamy head . Lots of lace clings around as the beer's level drops. Eyes are happy, and so is the nose. It smells great, with notes of melon, tangerine, pine, pineapple, and a vague fruit salad. Oh, there's also an accent of solvent alcohol which takes a little of the mood out.

Attractive aroma, even more attractive taste. The Green Bullet is one that I wouldn't mind to hit me. A fruity juicy Triple IPA with tangerine, toasted malt, mangoes, assorted tropical fruit, a drizzle of resin, and a touch of alcohol. I sure love those Kiwi hops. Good call with the hop bill Green Flash. Body-wise, it's full bodied, and brings a bittersweet aftertaste which is very smooth.

Great beer. Well done. Keep the hype train rolling...

10-22-2013 17:35:59 | More by DoubleJ
snaotheus

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a large sniftter. Best by date is 05/05/1?. I'm assuming the last number is a 4, but it's rubbed off.

Pours very clear coppery amber with a medium white head. Little visible carbonation. Smell is piney, sweet, flowery. Nothing terribly specific for me, but it reeks of hops, which is attractive.

Taste is surprisingly mellow and sweet. Lots of honeysuckle, more and more pine as I sip it, providing more and more bitter character. Very good.

Mouthfeel is light, airy, smooth. Overall, this is a very good beer.

12-21-2013 23:01:25 | More by snaotheus
joeworrall

4.35/5  rDev +11%

in my search for the perfect IPA, I have found a really good one... no bones about it, this is an outstanding IPA!

the label said it's a triple IPA, and I believe it. The hops are more pine than citrus, but there are hints of lemon peel in the aftertast.

I would compare it to Dogfish Head 90 in terms of quality and drinkability, but the taste is distinctive. It's New Zealand hops set it apart from anything else I have tasted. They are grassy, but not overwhelmingly so... It's hard to describe how well balanced the hops are in this brew.

tonight I am comparing it head to head with New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA and Widmer Brothers Nelson Imperial IPA. Rampant is still my "go to" imperial, this is more expensive and special, lighter in color and with less aftertaste, but so drinkable!

09-22-2013 02:45:41 | More by joeworrall
GreesyFizeek

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at the Blind Tiger in New York City.

Pours a very hazy cloudy orange, with tints of red. Very large head. Very strong lacing, like tree rings, all the way down the glass.

Intense smell- stings the nostrils with pine and citrus zest. This is going to be one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had.

Tastes even more intense- an absolute hop blitz. So much pine needles, citrus peels, citrus zest. There is a very biting stinging alcohol burn. There is a lingering, persistent astringent bitterness that lingers throughout the session. Quite possibly the most bitter beer I've ever had. It's great, but I can't imagine having more than one of these bad boys. The beer is pretty successful because it is incredibly high alcohol, but stays pretty dry and doesn't become sickly boozy sweet. A very warming beer.

Medium bodied, strong carbonation.

An extreme beer if I ever saw one- but I loved it. Hop heads need to try this one- Green Bullet Hops pack in some intense flavor.

12-31-2013 06:21:25 | More by GreesyFizeek
TTAmod

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz. bottle from 9/10/13 poured into a pint glass.

A: Appearance is a nice, bright vibrant clear yellow/orange. Starts with a thick, white, frothing head that dissipates to about a half a finger that lasts the entire drink.

S: Smell yields a strong caramel malt smell, along with strong grass and a tropical bouquet.

T: This is a very herbaceous, strong, fruity, hoppy, grassy IPA. Bright tropical flavors up front...pineapple, grapefruit, blood orange. Turns a bit grassy/piney partway through. Finishes just slightly bitter at the end. Strong caramel malt throughout, but never quite overpowers the hops.

M: Mouthfeel is pretty much as good as you can get. Medium body, slick, yet slightly creamy. Drinkability is good.

O: One of the best IPAs I've had in a long, long, long time. You can never go wrong with a fresh Green Flash double IPA. The Pacific Gem/Green Bullet hops yield an interesting hop profile that's different than most of the higher rated IPAs.

Definite must try.

10-01-2013 02:03:46 | More by TTAmod
schoolboy

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a huge beer that you get amazingly used to very quickly. That's dangerous - you could drink two or three, and then you will not feel alert enough to pour the fourth.

It looks great, with a slightly darker orange IPA color. The head is moderate. The aroma is really outstanding. Beautiful. The taste opens with a ton of things going on - all kinds of malt and hops.

The aftertaste is bitter, but really nicely so, and you quickly become used to it, and numb to the big booze content. Dangerous brew. Put the car keys away.

11-28-2013 22:45:19 | More by schoolboy
thecheapies

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy rich peach color with hues of deep red-orange. Beautiful autumnal look with a quietly fluffy bone-colored topper of froth. Exquisite.

Hoppy aromas, all of grassy and floral and pithy, with dank and resinous undertones. Candied fruits, chiba, tropical fruit, peach, and grassy orange. Has some caramelly malt base that takes its diminutive position in the backseat. Light grapefruit insinuates C-hops, like Cascade and Centennial, but there's familiar odors of floral lemon and Simcoe pine skank. What a plethora of aromas!

Big time hoppiness without all the crushing bitterness. Tempered by steeped maltiness, true humulus flavors shine in swatches of wildflower tea, lemon rind, grapefruit, starfruit, kiwi, orange, sandalwood, hemp, peach, and bitter melon. There are hints of pine and there's a lovely herbaceousness that pairs well with a lime-y citrus note in the middle, but this is quite fascinating in what the taste has to offer. Mostly dry, but still beating with some encouragement from caramel malt. The alcohol isn't dominating, like in a Hopslam or Devil Dancer, and the smoothly bold representation of it supports a good mouthfeel of a cautiously potent drink. The body is never syrupy and dangerously medium in its pace and swallow. Carbonation provides a longer, more stable, ride-out with intoxication creeping in closer than you'd might expect.

An uncanny hop bomb with medium (sturdy) bitterness and a latent spicy bite. At 10.1%, Green Bullet is nothing to play around with; and, with the hop complexity and drinkability on its side, it's a damn fine Triple IPA to have around on cooler and lonelier nights. A surefire sipper. A dream ale. Delicious stuff from the hop masters over at Green Flash.

09-21-2013 16:13:13 | More by thecheapies
Green Bullet Triple IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.