Green Bullet Triple IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Bullet Triple IPAGreen Bullet Triple IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: KansasBeerLover on 04-30-2013

With the aim of finding new and unique ingredients, we honed in on New Zealand grown Pacific Gem and Green Bullet hops to create this adventurous Triple IPA. Green Bullet leaps onto your palate with bold, spicy pine and citrus flavors including tropical notes of mango and pineapple. The aggressive yet well-balanced finish will stun the senses of even the most skilled hop hunter.
Reviews: 288 | Hads: 2,008
1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

This beer is how I imagine a pine tree tastes. It was that bad. It is not like any other Imperial IPA I have ever tasted. No idea if it was a bad batch? The color and smell were decent, however the taste was awful due to the overpowering pine taste. If you are a fan of that sort of taste then look no further as THIS is your beer! (331 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

10.1% ABV confirmed per the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard Green Flash label art, custom Green Flash etching on the glass, and a branded blue/green pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a four pack a few hours ago at a bottleshop and served into a Spaten bierkrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Best by: 02/28/14. It identifies as a "Triple India Pale Ale" (Not "Triple IPA" as the person who added this put) so I'm reviewing it as an imperial IPA. "New Zealand Dry Hop." Expectations are above average given its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 6 minutes I'd say.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper; translucent and transparent. Ample rising bubbles are visible, suggesting adequate carbonation. No yeast particles are visible. Vibrance is above average.

An appealing if typical appearance for a beer in this style. It's not unique or special, but there are no obvious flaws. I'd call it inviting.

Sm: Plenty of floral hop character, as well as some grapefruit citrus, light pine, bubblegum, and biscuit. Caramalt, pale malts, clean barley. It flirts with a light soapiness - indicative that it may have spent too much time in primary. Honey. There doesn't seem to be any naked hop bitterness based on the aroma, so the malt/hop balance seems decent - surprising for a Green Flash beer. Resinous and sticky.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. There are no off-notes though I'm not a big fan of the bubblegum.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength. It doesn't seem alive per se, but it's inviting.

T: Lots of floral hop character. Prominent bubblegum flavour is present, and I really can't stand it. Plenty of overdone imbalanced hop bitterness in the second half. Grapefruit. Some vague fruity hop esters. The body has some cloying malty candi sweetness as well as a soapy off-flavour (too long in primary) and the two clash with the rampant hop bitterness. Resinous. Ammonia. Honey. Nectar. The finish is disgusting, with a sharp harsh bitterness accompanied by the dying off-notes. Wretchedly imbalanced and quite poorly built. Tastes like an amateur homebrew attempt at an imperial IPA (I should know; I've made them). It tries for complexity, but there's no subtlety or nuance at all here. Some alcohol presence is noticeable, to its detriment. Quite a poor taste; I'm pretty disgusted.

High intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour for the style. Shallow depth of flavour.

No yeast comes through.

Mf: Harsh, assaulting, biting, and rough. Sticky and syrupy. Too thick. Good coarseness/smoothness balance. Wet and crisp. Grating and scraping on the tongue. Overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Has some unwelcome alcohol heat. Poor execution overall. Doesn't suit the flavour profile at all.

Dr: Poor show from Green Flash. Their reckless disregard for balance in an IPA continues, and I continue to be repulsed by it. This is clearly from the perverse "our beer has more hops/bitterness so it's better" brewing mentality that pervades the American market. Difficult to drink on account of its low quality - especially its off-notes. I'll be finishing the other three from my four pack, but only after putting them in the freezer to try to mute the off-notes. I wouldn't cook with this stuff because of the ammonia notes. I'd definitely never buy it again and would caution friends against trying it. Perhaps the worst imperial IPA I've had in the last couple months. Unrefreshing and hard to enjoy. This shouldn't have made it to market with these off-flavours.

(3,869 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Everyone else went on & on about all the attributes, I got nothing more of value to add. Bottom-line: falls short on the sum of the parts, especially balance/integration of flavors: 2-dimensional, and in the wrong dimensions. Agree with whoever described the harsh MF. (268 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

A friend split a 12oz bottle of this with me, thank God I didn't buy a bomber or four pack. Yellow orange color, translucent, good head and lace, looks nice. Aroma is like mango fruity hops but in the very background I caught a whiff of something I don't like and I suspect it is the dreaded Summit hop. Flavor followed suit with just the mildest note of garlic and then the finish was just awful. If they didn't use Summit then there is some New Zealand hop which is just as bad. Gross. (487 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As a Triple it was middle of the road for me. It reminded me a lot of Ommegang Brewery's Three Philosophers. So if you like that beer, you will most likely enjoy this one. I'm learning I'm just not a big fan of the triple in the first place so perhaps my rating is a little unjust, but for the price I paid, I was unsatisfied. (326 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -32.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a copper color. The head is two fingers high, and pale yellow in shade. Retention is quite good, and the texture is nicely soft. A ring of lacing is left on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Very candy-like, expected given it's a triple IPA brewed with high-falutin' NZ hops. I'm picking up plenty of mango, berry, and pineapple. What I'm also picking up are some onion characteristics. Given its strength, a bit of alcohol unsurprisingly comes through. I don't know, this one smells over-the-top in all the wrong ways. (3)

Taste: It starts off with HUGE malt notes - again, the vibe is almost candy-like. The hops don't seem that oniony, which is good. However, their tropical flavors are still coming through...as well as a lot of alcohol. It's the clashing between the huge tropical sweetness and the boozy bite that makes this not work for me. Plus, the aftertaste isn't very good. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Alcohol prickles the tongue and throat a little bit. One good feature is that the booze cleanses some of the finishing sweetness...some of it. It still feels big and heavy, but it's also pretty harsh as well. The carbonation can't save this from feeling like the clumsy beast it is. Pretty much, this is the opposite of drinkable. (2)

Overall: West Coast IPA this is not. This manages to be both too sweet AND too boozy - most triple IPAs are usually one or the other. Simply put, I don't like it: it's too aggressive and too sweet in all the wrong ways. (2.5)

2.6/5: The green bullet misses its target by several hundred feet (1,575 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -31.9%

On draft in a 13 oz wide tulip glass.

I had intended on ordering a taster as I thought this would be strong and I ended up receiving a full pour, but regardless I was excited to try this west coast beer on draft on the east coast.

A: hazy thick golden orange. similar to their imperial ipa that is served in 22oz bombers. thick white head with a hint of orange lasted for at least 15 minutes as i let it warm.

S: i was extremely disappointed in this beers nose. it was probably served at the correct temperature of 45-50 degrees. it opened up a little bit as i sipped and let it warm, but i have had pale ales with more character. it really didnt smell like much of anything

T: I have never had a beer (400+!!!) that I couldnt get through but this one beat me. something about it was just too assertive in all the wrong ways. I kept waiting for the nose to open up and lead me into a hop bomb complex and bitter but it never happened. Maybe a bad keg or something. it had an interesting creamyness to it on the finish that i enjoyed but then a longer lingering bitterness and sourness that took over that just was too much without water.

M: Heavy and course. just strong and lingering.

O: this beer lingered on my pallate my entire 10 minute walk home, and I only drank a 3rd of it. Just not an enjoyable beer worth ordering more than 4oz. I appreciate what they were trying to do experimenting with new hops and organic oats, but this is not a production beer. (1,468 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash Brewing's Green Bullet Triple IPA last week for $3.39 at The Lager Mill. I have yet to be impressed by a beer from Green Flash, but since I'm in the mood for something very hoppy tonight I thought I would give this Triple IPA a chance, so lets see how it goes. Best by 02/08/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's very similar to the brewery's other labels and I don't think it's that eye catching. It poured a cloudy orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, the head and color were both nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a complex hop aroma of spicy, piney, fruity, citrus rinds and green onion hop aromas with the green onion sticking out the most and the other aspects show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a big sweet malt, bready and caramel malt like aromas with some doughy yeast coming through in the background. The aroma was just ok, I didn't like how the sweetness and green onion hops stuck out the most.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a little lighter and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the exact same hoppy aspects that it did in the aroma, this time they are a little lighter, but the green onion hops still stick out the most with the other aspects showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and it goes right into the malts which impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma, but they are also lighter and it's the sweet malts that seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium sweetness that doesn't linger and it had a watery malt and hop aftertaste. This wasn't a great tasting beer, the sweetness and green onion hops stuck out the most and I didn't like the watery finish.

M- A little smooth, a little warming, not too crisp, a little sticky, on the very thick side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but i wish it was smoother and not sticky.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a very average example of a Tripel IPA, it had some big hop flavors, but the good aspects only showed up in the background and the flavors that stuck out the most weren't that great. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little warming, not too crisp, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer this beer was the appearance, this was a pretty nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, there weren't that good and they really held this beer back from being as good as it could be, the sweetness and green onion hops were my biggest problem with this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's very easy to find a better tasting strong hoppy beer. I wouldn't recommend this beer, it just isn't a great example of the style, but if you like lots of sweetness and green onion hops it may be worth a shot. All in all I didn't like this beer, it just wasn't for me and it got hard for me to find the good in this beer the more I drank it. It reminds me of the Devil Dancer that was released a couple years ago that was very green onion like. IT's now my least favorite Green Flash beer and my least favorite Tripel IPA. Better luck next time guys, this beer just isn't for me. I'm starting to lose motivation to try new beers from this brewery, I keep on getting disappointed. (4,038 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%

Not a bad ipa by any means... but considering that it's a "triple ipa" it didn't pack the extreme hoppy/high ibu taste I was expecting. I'd defer to green flash's palate wrecker before this one (193 characters)

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

From: Piccadilly, Champaign, IL
Date: Best by 2014-03-12
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Green Bullet is a hop and ethanol bomb, mostly just a mess in terms of overexpressive ethanol and underperforming hops, neither of which seem to be as complex or interesting as the brewery would like you to believe. Further, when the malt is present, it's cloyingly sweet. Regardless of this being $3.50 per single, this is not a beer I'd return to.

Pours a 1.5 cm head of off-white foam, made up of small to medium-sized bubbles giving a sponge-like appearance. Retention is average, about one minute, as it declines to a thin cap of lace remaining atop the body of the beer. Lacing is present, but minimal, a few small dots and lines cling to the sides of the glass. Body is a medium-dark copper orange color, with light bringing out pale orange hues. Carbonation is visible through the transparent body,

Aroma is certainly hoppy, like practically sticking your nose into a bag of non-European hop pellets. Scents of: mango, tangerine, with citrus (grapefruit and orange) and a surprisingly-present pale malt sweetness and less surprising spicy ethanol (particularly as the beer warms and the hops drift off). Good, but not particularly different from any other double IPA, and the ethanol obviousness here is a bit disappointing as well.

Flavor is less pleasant, a big mix of ethanol meets bitter hops and the occasional peek-through of a candy-like sweetness with a harshly unpleasant and herbal aftertaste. Front of palate finds strong hop bitterness with pine, intensely dry herbs, and concentrated grapefruit rind, the sweetness buried heavily behind the mess of hops. Mid-palate of continued hop bitterness and flavors (same pine, heavy grapefruit rind, and dry herbs) except now with spicy, white pepper-like ethanol and syrupy-sweet pale malt peeking through occasionally. Back of palate experiences continued strong hop bitterness and flavors (same as above), spicy ethanol, and a surprisingly detectable, though rather cloying, syrupy pale malt sweetness in the background. Aftertaste is of strong bitterness with unpleasantly lingering harsh dry herb and spicy ethanol qualities.

Beer is medium-heavy to heavy in body with carbonation of medium intensity, leading to a bit of fizziness before this settles to a smooth foamy feeling moving across the palate. Ethanol easily felt on the back of the throat and in the nostrils as warmth and burn, not exactly pleasing. Closes semi-dry, which is surprising as I would have expected something much drier with this many hops. Heavy stickiness remains on the lips and palate. Again, fairly average for the style, nothing surprising in a positive sense here. (2,707 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance- Pours up a decent amount of head that, at the moment, seems to have pretty good retention. The head is pure cotton white while the body is a medium amber which appears as a pale amber when held up to the light. Some lacing with some sheeting extending from the remaining head.

Nose- Starts off with lots of pine which seems to fade quickly into citrus- orange and lemon. There is a touch of honey as well. The bottle also shows this with a small dollop of caramel. Slight hints of grapefruit and matchstick around the edges.

Taste- Starts off with a little bit of honey and caramel while hop bitterness rises around the edges. Somewhat woody, with a little bit of matchstick and grapefruit, which moves into earwax, burnt caramel, and strong matchstick. Lots of pine and resin. Very spicy but lacks balance to the point of being abrasive. The pine has a lot of linger and right now, is making this beer a bit unpalatable for me. I like some woodiness, some pine in my IPAs and DIPAs but I don't ever want to feel like I'm drinking a tree. Some tropical fruit but the pine really clashes with any profile note that tries to rein it in. At this point, I really have to agree with another reviewer- this is almost all pine and if that is your thing, this is your beer. It is not mine. Mellows a bit but this is still mediocre at best.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with what seems to be less than acceptable carbonation that still seems to sting. Probably a suggestion of the dominant pine.

Drinkability- Fortunately, no heat but this is a bit of trial. Around 3 bucks should be a steal for an IIPA but this is definitely not a repurchase.

Overall- Average at best and a failure for its style. Unless you like pine bombs, I would not purchase this. It's only redeeming quality is the high alcohol. (1,810 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Weyerbacher pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy deep gold, with average visible carbonation and a half-finger's worth of white head.

S: This is strange. The aroma is very diminished, almost absent. A bit of booze, a bit of malt sweetness. And that's it.

T: Alcohol with a bit of acetone, spice/onion/basil hop flavors, and then bready and toffee sweet malts. Mildly bitter in the hang. But overall, there really isn't a ton of flavor here either.

M: Medium body, maybe on the light side for style. The alcohol is quite noticeable (though not on the DFH 120 level), but I think it's becomes more noticeable with the lack of other flavors. Carbonation sensation on the low side.

O: This may be the weirdest IPA I've ever had, let alone a purported Triple IPA. It was so very little flavor and aroma. I don't know if this was a bad bottle or what, but both of us that had pours from this bottle had similar observations. The aroma was so muted that if I closed my eyes, I wouldn't have been sure if there was beer in the glass. No off-flavors or oxidation that I noticed, or anything offensive…just a lot of nothing. Based on this bottle, I'd recommend avoiding this one. And I'm not motivated to go spend money for a second go-round. (1,284 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21.2%

Pour hazy orange with a 1/2 finger white head, with good retention and lacing. the aroma has grapefruit, citrus zest, pine, and some soapiness.

There is quite a bit of sweetness, and a lot more bitterness in the taste, with grapefruit, citrus zest, onions, garlic, alcohol, sugary malt, and pine. Very resinous.

Full bodied, oily, resinous, dry, with modest carbonation. Has a very bitter aftertaste. Not my favorite Imperial IPA, mostly due to the heavy onion and garlic taste. (481 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tasting glass at the brewery.

Pale gold/orange. No head.

No smell. My nose plunked in it trying to sniff something. Nada.

It is extra super hoppy. And tastes...minty? Minty. Weirdly spicy-herbal. The Hoppiness lasts a really long time. Lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is robust.

I am very conflicted about this beer, and don't think I could recommend it, even if I enjoy drinking it. (405 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12oz bottle served in Sierra Nevada IPA glass
Best by 3/12/14
Very fresh: Just hit the stores

A - Honey amber with a massive 3 fingers of off-white head with sparkling 3d lacing down the side of the glass.

S - A glass of crushed hop pellets, sharp pine, dirty citrus, hints crackery malts, floral potpourri.

T - Pungent citrus and spicy hops burst on to the palate. Dank green hops just dominate everything in it's path. As it warms up, orange and floral notes come out of the generic green hop attack. Sweet orange rind, spearmint, and light caramel undertones come out with notions of alcohol toward the end. The finish is bitter with some some resinous sweetness and perfumey alcohol. Fairly dry for the ABV.

M - Medium body, very bitter, semi astringent, lushy feel, but syrupy at times.

If you've ever chewed on a hop pellet than you know what this beer tastes like. It's just an onslaught of potpourri hops of all kind, just clashing together all at once.

Any novice brewer can dump a truck load of hops in a beer but there is something to be said about brewing a 10.10ABV beer and not coming out with a sweet boozy malt bomb. All said, this is just a hop overload that has no layering or flavor distinction. Congratulations on being the hoppiest DIPA.

Edit: just ordered a West Coast IPA on tap from a local establishment and it tasted so off that I went and told them the taps must be dirty. They told me me they accidentally gave me Green Bullet instead. Talk about a blind taste test! (1,503 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

This is a beer to experience. Definitely one to try out when you're feeling adventurous and or needing to feel numb. I really enjoyed this beer the first time I tried it; the second time I just thought the IBU's were overpowering. This would be a good beer to drink while smoking a cigar. Overall I'd say this is a good beer when you're in a bold mood and still want to relax. (381 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a deep orange body with a bit of haze. Yields a beige colored head with sticky lacing and little retention.

S: Dank. Mega hop forward. Bready malts. Pine.

T: Follows the nose. Don't love the taste that the hops leave. Pine cones.

M: Creamy. Full body. Moderate carbonation.

O: Give me palate wrecker all day. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. Dank and piney, but a bit one-dimensional and I wasn't a huge fan of the hop choice. (443 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Poured a yellowish- orange color with a slight haze, a small white cap left a few bubbles behind after a few sips and minor lacing was observed

S: The major notes were of spruce and pine.

T: Initially the taste buds are hit by a chewy like caramel malt base and then you're hit with some prickly spruce and pine notes. It sordove reminded me of the Alesmith Yulesmith Christmas IPA. The finish was a long, resiny, piney, caramel weirdness. A light vegal note hides in the background.

M: Medium bodied, a little heavy and perhaps a little low on carbonation.

O: Not at all what I was expecting! I drank this behind a Boneyard Notorious and I was supremely letdown. The combo of hops/malt in this beer just did not do it for me. The beer had a weird feel and taste and I felt the hops were a bit muted. The body was there and I do not object to chewy IIPAs but this was just weird. (887 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served from tap in a cervoise at Duke's.

The end of my drinking day. This stuff pours a mostly clear amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises sweetbread, mild booze, sweet resin, candied grapefruit zest, and a twinge of red apple. The taste brings in more of the same, the sweet malts and fruity hops really making for a treacle-y sweet flavor profile for most of the time spent on my tongue. Near the end, some dank grass shows up to provide a bitter bite for us. The body is a lean medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this is too big and sweet for its own good. It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but it was a bit of a chore to work through. (718 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear, slightly burnt orange. Nice and bright. Head is small and white. Drops to a small collar with clumps of lacing. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, pine and dank weed. Herbal with a solid hop and alcohol spice. Malts are a touch sweet with some caramel malt and a decent bready component. Some grapefruit zest with some caramelized sugars. Sweet and vaguely tropical. Nicely floral. A rather typical take.

Taste: Grapefruit and flowers. Some herbal hop spice couples with a slight alcohol burn. Malts run a bit sweet with some bready elements and a very mild hint of toasted malts. Cooked and caramelized with a biscuity undertone. Crazy floral as it warms with some juicy grapefruit and orange thrown in the mix. Becomes increasingly floral as it warms as well. Something akin to pear or mango runs through the back. Malts and hops are actually balanced, albeit on the high side.

Mouthfeel: Slick and slightly oily medium pushing full body with a moderate to light carbonation. Slightly dry on the finish, but wet up front.

Overall: Can be defeated with a yellow bullet.

It really tastes like an imperialized West Coast with a slightly modified hop profile. Decidedly west coast in take and style and it does it well, but I'm not sure what makes it triple other than the booze. (1,299 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.3%

eyes...
best by 5.5.14 (really? I doubt it)
3 full fingers of the white foam, a veritable maelstrom of bubbles cavorting like some tornado of carbonation, slightly burnt orange and clean hue, super nice lacing (the head really sticks together and rolls like a tide in the glass), good looking brew

nose...
muted herbal hops with some pine twinge, plenty of malt aroma mixed with a splash of orange... overall pretty simple and seemingly less than what I would expect from a triple IPA... but generally some new zeal hops do have that mango-ish tinge rather than the alpha hop burst of the turbo driven american alpha monster hops.. I prefer to buy american

taste etc...
nice silky feel immediately, the IBUs here can not be too high, this is lacking a major punch, triple means three times... I would hate to see what this is multiplied by to get to three... I had some of their other beers and I know they were hoppier than this, the alcohol is well hidden behind the malts which shows the brewer's deft use there (as 10% is not that easy to hide), further on the glass now the hops have become a little more forward but still not blowing me away.. they are sort of lingering in the back and lend an OK bitterness hanging out in the back side quadrants of my tongue

verdict?
good use of malts to back up the high ABV, but the hops are way too subtle for me, I want my hops to kick me in the teeth. this is not a bad beer but a tripel IPA should bring a bit more IMO... maybe I am a hop snob, damn straight (1,509 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into tulip. best by 03 12 14.

A: a slight haze on an orange body. head is bright white and very frothy. its presence is to be reckoned with. great retention and lacing.

S: a whole lot of resin. overwhelming almost. there is an odd sweetness in here that reminds me of cinnamon. I just wrote that and it makes no sense, but really that is what I am smelling. I think it is actually the malt backbone that is misleading me to cinnamon.

T: similar to the nose, an initial blast of raw hop resin. alcohol heat immediately follows in the middle. a little bit of cereal in the finish. a real unpleasant plastic-like flavor. almost metallic.

M: a little bit of fizz. full bodied brew.

D: I gotta say I am a little disappointed with this brew. not impressed with these new Zealand hops or what green flash has done with them. green flash does some beautiful things with hops and this really fell short. (916 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at Toronado (SF) in a tulip. This looked great, cloudy and orange with a decent head. The smell is strong pine and citrus but also sweet. The taste is strong pine and bitter at the front and really sweet at the end. The mouth feel is syrupy and there's a strong alcohol presence. Overall I think this beer completely missed the style. For a triple IPA, the sweetness of the malt should never dominate the beer. This is definitely my least favorite Green Flash beer. (472 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Growler filled at Big Hops in San Antonio, TX.

A - Clear golden amber with 2 fingers of foamy white head.

S - Very sweet smelling with grapefruit, pine, and sugar.

T - This is super sweet. Instead of the typical grapefruit bitterness, it's super sweet grapefruit along with pine, caramel, and sugar. It's almost cloying.

M - Moderate body which is very sticky. Moderate carbonation as well. The grapefruit sticky sweetness lingers a while in the mouth.

O - I usually love west coast grapefruit and pine IPAs, but this one missed the mark for me. It was way too sweet and sticky with not enough balance. (607 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Smell for me dictates taste and for this one, not a good thing. Rotting fruit? Glad I tried it but wish the store had it as a single. One time deal on this one. No date info so no idea on freshness. Don't usually buy IPAS without dates. Took a chance. At 10% it does the job. That's about all I can say (302 characters)

Green Bullet Triple IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.