Green Bullet Triple IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Bullet Triple IPAGreen Bullet Triple IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: KansasBeerLover on 04-30-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

SpAiReArGsEonNE

11-25-2013 04:19:48 | More by SpAiReArGsEonNE
Hopster916

1.74/5  rDev -55.6%

This beer is how I imagine a pine tree tastes. It was that bad. It is not like any other Imperial IPA I have ever tasted. No idea if it was a bad batch? The color and smell were decent, however the taste was awful due to the overpowering pine taste. If you are a fan of that sort of taste then look no further as THIS is your beer!

10-08-2013 02:19:25 | More by Hopster916

Indiana

01-13-2014 19:29:48 | More by Kyrojack
kojevergas

2.15/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

10.1% ABV confirmed per the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard Green Flash label art, custom Green Flash etching on the glass, and a branded blue/green pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a four pack a few hours ago at a bottleshop and served into a Spaten bierkrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Best by: 02/28/14. It identifies as a "Triple India Pale Ale" (Not "Triple IPA" as the person who added this put) so I'm reviewing it as an imperial IPA. "New Zealand Dry Hop." Expectations are above average given its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 6 minutes I'd say.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper; translucent and transparent. Ample rising bubbles are visible, suggesting adequate carbonation. No yeast particles are visible. Vibrance is above average.

An appealing if typical appearance for a beer in this style. It's not unique or special, but there are no obvious flaws. I'd call it inviting.

Sm: Plenty of floral hop character, as well as some grapefruit citrus, light pine, bubblegum, and biscuit. Caramalt, pale malts, clean barley. It flirts with a light soapiness - indicative that it may have spent too much time in primary. Honey. There doesn't seem to be any naked hop bitterness based on the aroma, so the malt/hop balance seems decent - surprising for a Green Flash beer. Resinous and sticky.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. There are no off-notes though I'm not a big fan of the bubblegum.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength. It doesn't seem alive per se, but it's inviting.

T: Lots of floral hop character. Prominent bubblegum flavour is present, and I really can't stand it. Plenty of overdone imbalanced hop bitterness in the second half. Grapefruit. Some vague fruity hop esters. The body has some cloying malty candi sweetness as well as a soapy off-flavour (too long in primary) and the two clash with the rampant hop bitterness. Resinous. Ammonia. Honey. Nectar. The finish is disgusting, with a sharp harsh bitterness accompanied by the dying off-notes. Wretchedly imbalanced and quite poorly built. Tastes like an amateur homebrew attempt at an imperial IPA (I should know; I've made them). It tries for complexity, but there's no subtlety or nuance at all here. Some alcohol presence is noticeable, to its detriment. Quite a poor taste; I'm pretty disgusted.

High intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour for the style. Shallow depth of flavour.

No yeast comes through.

Mf: Harsh, assaulting, biting, and rough. Sticky and syrupy. Too thick. Good coarseness/smoothness balance. Wet and crisp. Grating and scraping on the tongue. Overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Has some unwelcome alcohol heat. Poor execution overall. Doesn't suit the flavour profile at all.

Dr: Poor show from Green Flash. Their reckless disregard for balance in an IPA continues, and I continue to be repulsed by it. This is clearly from the perverse "our beer has more hops/bitterness so it's better" brewing mentality that pervades the American market. Difficult to drink on account of its low quality - especially its off-notes. I'll be finishing the other three from my four pack, but only after putting them in the freezer to try to mute the off-notes. I wouldn't cook with this stuff because of the ammonia notes. I'd definitely never buy it again and would caution friends against trying it. Perhaps the worst imperial IPA I've had in the last couple months. Unrefreshing and hard to enjoy. This shouldn't have made it to market with these off-flavours.

D

10-03-2013 23:32:55 | More by kojevergas
usery

Washington

2.39/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Everyone else went on & on about all the attributes, I got nothing more of value to add. Bottom-line: falls short on the sum of the parts, especially balance/integration of flavors: 2-dimensional, and in the wrong dimensions. Agree with whoever described the harsh MF.

10-05-2013 00:30:09 | More by usery
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

A friend split a 12oz bottle of this with me, thank God I didn't buy a bomber or four pack. Yellow orange color, translucent, good head and lace, looks nice. Aroma is like mango fruity hops but in the very background I caught a whiff of something I don't like and I suspect it is the dreaded Summit hop. Flavor followed suit with just the mildest note of garlic and then the finish was just awful. If they didn't use Summit then there is some New Zealand hop which is just as bad. Gross.

10-05-2013 15:37:42 | More by ArrogantB

10-06-2013 20:21:01 | More by JaysUncle
Big-Frog

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As a Triple it was middle of the road for me. It reminded me a lot of Ommegang Brewery's Three Philosophers. So if you like that beer, you will most likely enjoy this one. I'm learning I'm just not a big fan of the triple in the first place so perhaps my rating is a little unjust, but for the price I paid, I was unsatisfied.

01-11-2014 03:28:36 | More by Big-Frog
Swift989

District of Columbia

2.69/5  rDev -31.4%

On draft in a 13 oz wide tulip glass.

I had intended on ordering a taster as I thought this would be strong and I ended up receiving a full pour, but regardless I was excited to try this west coast beer on draft on the east coast.

A: hazy thick golden orange. similar to their imperial ipa that is served in 22oz bombers. thick white head with a hint of orange lasted for at least 15 minutes as i let it warm.

S: i was extremely disappointed in this beers nose. it was probably served at the correct temperature of 45-50 degrees. it opened up a little bit as i sipped and let it warm, but i have had pale ales with more character. it really didnt smell like much of anything

T: I have never had a beer (400+!!!) that I couldnt get through but this one beat me. something about it was just too assertive in all the wrong ways. I kept waiting for the nose to open up and lead me into a hop bomb complex and bitter but it never happened. Maybe a bad keg or something. it had an interesting creamyness to it on the finish that i enjoyed but then a longer lingering bitterness and sourness that took over that just was too much without water.

M: Heavy and course. just strong and lingering.

O: this beer lingered on my pallate my entire 10 minute walk home, and I only drank a 3rd of it. Just not an enjoyable beer worth ordering more than 4oz. I appreciate what they were trying to do experimenting with new hops and organic oats, but this is not a production beer.

12-27-2013 06:24:11 | More by Swift989
adamdarcy

10-11-2013 03:55:52 | More by adamdarcy
ilikebeer03

10-29-2013 01:41:33 | More by ilikebeer03
discharmingly

01-03-2014 20:42:10 | More by discharmingly
Green Bullet Triple IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.