Green Bullet Triple IPA - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Bullet Triple IPAGreen Bullet Triple IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: KansasBeerLover on 04-30-2013

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As a Triple it was middle of the road for me. It reminded me a lot of Ommegang Brewery's Three Philosophers. So if you like that beer, you will most likely enjoy this one. I'm learning I'm just not a big fan of the triple in the first place so perhaps my rating is a little unjust, but for the price I paid, I was unsatisfied.

2.63/5  rDev -33.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a copper color. The head is two fingers high, and pale yellow in shade. Retention is quite good, and the texture is nicely soft. A ring of lacing is left on the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Very candy-like, expected given it's a triple IPA brewed with high-falutin' NZ hops. I'm picking up plenty of mango, berry, and pineapple. What I'm also picking up are some onion characteristics. Given its strength, a bit of alcohol unsurprisingly comes through. I don't know, this one smells over-the-top in all the wrong ways. (3)

Taste: It starts off with HUGE malt notes - again, the vibe is almost candy-like. The hops don't seem that oniony, which is good. However, their tropical flavors are still coming through...as well as a lot of alcohol. It's the clashing between the huge tropical sweetness and the boozy bite that makes this not work for me. Plus, the aftertaste isn't very good. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Alcohol prickles the tongue and throat a little bit. One good feature is that the booze cleanses some of the finishing sweetness...some of it. It still feels big and heavy, but it's also pretty harsh as well. The carbonation can't save this from feeling like the clumsy beast it is. Pretty much, this is the opposite of drinkable. (2)

Overall: West Coast IPA this is not. This manages to be both too sweet AND too boozy - most triple IPAs are usually one or the other. Simply put, I don't like it: it's too aggressive and too sweet in all the wrong ways. (2.5)

2.6/5: The green bullet misses its target by several hundred feet

2.67/5  rDev -32.2%

On draft in a 13 oz wide tulip glass.

I had intended on ordering a taster as I thought this would be strong and I ended up receiving a full pour, but regardless I was excited to try this west coast beer on draft on the east coast.

A: hazy thick golden orange. similar to their imperial ipa that is served in 22oz bombers. thick white head with a hint of orange lasted for at least 15 minutes as i let it warm.

S: i was extremely disappointed in this beers nose. it was probably served at the correct temperature of 45-50 degrees. it opened up a little bit as i sipped and let it warm, but i have had pale ales with more character. it really didnt smell like much of anything

T: I have never had a beer (400+!!!) that I couldnt get through but this one beat me. something about it was just too assertive in all the wrong ways. I kept waiting for the nose to open up and lead me into a hop bomb complex and bitter but it never happened. Maybe a bad keg or something. it had an interesting creamyness to it on the finish that i enjoyed but then a longer lingering bitterness and sourness that took over that just was too much without water.

M: Heavy and course. just strong and lingering.

O: this beer lingered on my pallate my entire 10 minute walk home, and I only drank a 3rd of it. Just not an enjoyable beer worth ordering more than 4oz. I appreciate what they were trying to do experimenting with new hops and organic oats, but this is not a production beer.

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Green Flash Brewing's Green Bullet Triple IPA last week for $3.39 at The Lager Mill. I have yet to be impressed by a beer from Green Flash, but since I'm in the mood for something very hoppy tonight I thought I would give this Triple IPA a chance, so lets see how it goes. Best by 02/08/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's very similar to the brewery's other labels and I don't think it's that eye catching. It poured a cloudy orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, the head and color were both nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a complex hop aroma of spicy, piney, fruity, citrus rinds and green onion hop aromas with the green onion sticking out the most and the other aspects show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a big sweet malt, bready and caramel malt like aromas with some doughy yeast coming through in the background. The aroma was just ok, I didn't like how the sweetness and green onion hops stuck out the most.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a little lighter and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the exact same hoppy aspects that it did in the aroma, this time they are a little lighter, but the green onion hops still stick out the most with the other aspects showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and it goes right into the malts which impart the same aspect that they did in the aroma, but they are also lighter and it's the sweet malts that seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium sweetness that doesn't linger and it had a watery malt and hop aftertaste. This wasn't a great tasting beer, the sweetness and green onion hops stuck out the most and I didn't like the watery finish.

M- A little smooth, a little warming, not too crisp, a little sticky, on the very thick side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but i wish it was smoother and not sticky.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a very average example of a Tripel IPA, it had some big hop flavors, but the good aspects only showed up in the background and the flavors that stuck out the most weren't that great. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little warming, not too crisp, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer this beer was the appearance, this was a pretty nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, there weren't that good and they really held this beer back from being as good as it could be, the sweetness and green onion hops were my biggest problem with this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's very easy to find a better tasting strong hoppy beer. I wouldn't recommend this beer, it just isn't a great example of the style, but if you like lots of sweetness and green onion hops it may be worth a shot. All in all I didn't like this beer, it just wasn't for me and it got hard for me to find the good in this beer the more I drank it. It reminds me of the Devil Dancer that was released a couple years ago that was very green onion like. IT's now my least favorite Green Flash beer and my least favorite Tripel IPA. Better luck next time guys, this beer just isn't for me. I'm starting to lose motivation to try new beers from this brewery, I keep on getting disappointed.

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%

2.99/5  rDev -24.1%

Not a bad ipa by any means... but considering that it's a "triple ipa" it didn't pack the extreme hoppy/high ibu taste I was expecting. I'd defer to green flash's palate wrecker before this one

Green Bullet Triple IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co.