Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 176 | Reviews: 55
Reviews by Sorcerer:
3.2/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks really good on a slow pour into a Redhook ESB Tulip. Had to slow down and let the beautiful head subside and finish a complete pour before drinking. Patient drinker tonight.

I have no idea of the bottling date. I have consumed this beer quite a few times before. This is my review.

Sweet smelling brew of sugar, wet straw, faint horrendous hint of rotting ginko fruit (yuck!), alcohol, hint of marigolds and daisies (flowers that smell like something dead), and yes, I do smell hops intensely as well, a bit like a wet mowed lawn in this case. Not bad.

Legs of lace follow my quaffs with a slender ladder persisting upon completion of the draught.

Taste arrives with alcohol right up front for me, followed by a sweet malt cloyed by something acetic and then ester, but all good, as a general hop infusion slams away doubting taste-buds. In fact this bottle surprises me with how good it tastes. I do not expect a great deal from this budget fare. I expect something to drink with dinner that is not revolting. I am enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is wonderful! Just the right amount of carbonation for me. But I manage my pours, and pick my glassware. You always know beer is not water. But this is like a hopped up carbonated honey drink. Maybe this has adjunct in proportion in the recipe. Feel good.

Overall, I enjoy this brew from time to time. Lucky to have something this strong and cheap. Not perfection. A hard working beer for the hardworking person with only a little bit of change to spare. Beer snobs will have to seek something else.

3.4/5  rDev +34.9%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Pretty alcoholic tasting, not in a good way, but it does have flavor there. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's deserving of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

2.22/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I bought this DIPA as well as their IPA while picking up some things at Trader Joe's. I didn't much like the IPA, yet for some reason held out some hopes for the DIPA. These hopes were quickly dashed, however. I think this was worse than the IPA.

In a tulip glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a minimal head and no lace.

Not much aroma; very faint citrus and very faint sweet malt. Not much there.

The taste was even more of a letdown. Nothing that resembles an IPA, much less a DIPA. A smidge of lemon and grapefruit, that's about all.

Kind of like drinking some flavored water. Where are the hops?

Never again.

3.14/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bomber bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's (god I love shopping at that place...)
for the stupid cheap price of $2.99....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

Pours clear typical almond amber. Off white head stays at the thicker film stage and leaves some fine bands and fields of sheetage.

Nose is on the sweet side..hmm thats not a good sign..

On the tongue and palate the nose carries through with more...sweet...this is the sweet side of DIPA land, with just some dry notes in the finish. I do get some woody smoke, and some sticky caramel character. But this is kinda boozy, kinda sweet and not really what most are looking for in this style. ....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

2.81/5  rDev +11.5%

650 ml bottle from Trader Joes. IBU = 75 / O.G. = 17.15
Deep amber color with a small and short-lived head, leaving almost no lacing.
The aroma has a metallic off odor. Modest amount of earth hop aroma and flavor, but a rather poor quality hop aroma compared to better IPAs.
Medium body but lightly astringent.

O: drinkable and inexpensive, but disappointing and not recommended. [2.75]

2.93/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Why all the hate here? Yeah, it's not great, but plenty of bittering and flavor hops here! Alcohol too, but def not too hot. Don't know the $ at Trader Joes cuz it was a gift, but, sure, I'd drink it again. I'd had far better and far worse; this one is right in the the middle. A readily available, middle-of-the road DIPA... Whatev....

2.72/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Big bubbles and great thin layer of foam. Pinkish copper in hue.

Smell: Very weak for a DIPA. Sweet grapefruit and malt liquor. Not a bad smell, just nothing really to speak of.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet, thick caramel and a strong metallic finish. The finish is what really "screws" this up. Mouthfeel is quite syrup, but not awful overall.

Overall Drinkability: Did I enjoy this beer? No. Did I hate it like a lot of people? Probably not.

4.1/5  rDev +62.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Boatswain Double I.P.A.
22 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Trader Joe's #766, Tampa, FL

Enjoyed at cellar temperature in an Imperial "nonic" pint glass. This is a beer that's contract-brewed for Trader Joe's, and I think we're all aware of that. I was really surprised by it given where the American craft beer industry stands right now. It has some flaws but I think it's basically just not understood (or I could be reading it completely wrong!). Read on...

Appearance: A clear deep-amber/copper body teems with life as hundreds of tiny bubbles steadily rise towards the surface. Its rocky off-white head holds remarkably well and leaves some decent lacing behind. If there's a fault to this beer that's probably it apart from the obvious alcohol (which should be better cloaked).

Aroma: Fruity and floral with a mineralish component that almost comes across as medicinal at first whiff, but then reveals itself to be more of a "Burton stench" as it rests. It may take a little getting used to as it's not that common anymore, but it's authentic, and taken in a historic context, quite charming.

Flavor: An edge of burnt sugar in combination with the mineral and sulphur character of the beer (and a bit of alcohol) lends a bit of raspiness to an otherwise basic medium-caramel maltiness that's threaded through with floral, grassy, and leafy English hops (Fuggles, for sure, and most likely Kent Godlings - or an American equivalent). The yeast acts almost as a layer of shellac overtop, coating it with fruity flavors of soft pear, apple, and some orange marmalade. It's sweetish on one side, but quite dry on the other due to its solid bitterness, mineral content, and yeasty sulphur. It's not a complex beer in that all of its cards are laid right out on the table, but neither is it a beer that shows 'one' flavor or side.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dextrinous edge (perhaps medium-full), and velvety smooth across the palate with a fine-bubbled, seemingly natural carbonation (although I know it's not).

Overall: It's a double IPA to be sure, with a solid 8.4% abv, a slap of alcohol, and a solid bitterness, but I find it quite curious because I've only ever sampled American double IPAs - and despite the fact that this is brewed in the USA, it's clearly "English" in nature. Are there, in fact, any "double" or "Imperial" IPAs brewed in England? But that leaves us with one argument: is the aroma hoppy enough to be labeled an "Imperial" or "double" IPA? In this case I think the question is moot. It's unique, and entertaining in that alone, but whether you like (or are even familiar with traditional English ales) certainly makes a difference. For the incredibly low price it's offered at I'd suggest that it's a must try.

2.67/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This says double ipa but it has very little hops and a whole lotta malt and alcohol. If anything this should be called an American strong ale or something along those lines. There is a big malt flavor + odd chemical bitterness (not hops but something akin to Windex.) This reminds me of Old English 800 or some other ghetto style brew. I am not sure why Trader Joes is carrying such a low grade brew, most of their selection is good (they recently added Stone Belgium IPA.) This is just a cheap strong beer that is not worth sitting next to a Stone or an AleSmith at TJs

1.37/5  rDev -45.6%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

2.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.02/5  rDev +19.8%

Once again, put aside the knowledge that this beer is brewed for Trader Joes and stop thinking about the price($2.29)..For what it is, it is a decent beer. Pours a nice ornageish color with weak head and pretty decent lacing. Aroma is slight hops, with malt and a macro brew sort of smell. Taste is not bad. This definately does not taste like any DIPA I have ever had, but overall, not too bad. Hop bitterness is present, but unfortunately, the malt sweetnes dulls it. Overall, feels good on the palate and is quite sessionable

3.25/5  rDev +29%

2.33/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.17/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A little to sweet and not enough hops, but definetly a good value. You get what you pay for.

3.09/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A 22oz bomber for 2.29 from Trader Joe's. Pours a standard coppery amber with a white head and decent lacing . Smell is sweet with alcohol and a light fruitiness. Some caramel and a grainy malt. Taste aint bad for a cheap DIPA. Is it grand and complex? No. But it has real beer taste and decent balance. It is on the sweeter of things, and it is certainly not the hop bomb we have come to expect in this style, but by no means is it a bad beer. Finish is a little sweet and mildly hopped. The abv is well integrated and not a hinderance to drinking it. Feel is smooth and slightly chewy, with a lighter weight for the OG. Not a bad beer for the price. There is flavor to be found here and for those of you looking for an abv bomb at a BMC price look no further.

2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company