Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012)
Reviews by beerman999999:
3.25/5  rDev +31.6%

3.43/5  rDev +38.9%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Not extremely alcoholic considering the high ABV. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's dissevering of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

2.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

2.19/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I bought this DIPA as well as their IPA while picking up some things at Trader Joe's. I didn't much like the IPA, yet for some reason held out some hopes for the DIPA. These hopes were quickly dashed, however. I think this was worse than the IPA.

In a tulip glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a minimal head and no lace.

Not much aroma; very faint citrus and very faint sweet malt. Not much there.

The taste was even more of a letdown. Nothing that resembles an IPA, much less a DIPA. A smidge of lemon and grapefruit, that's about all.

Kind of like drinking some flavored water. Where are the hops?

Never again.

3.15/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bomber bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's (god I love shopping at that place...)
for the stupid cheap price of $2.99....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

Pours clear typical almond amber. Off white head stays at the thicker film stage and leaves some fine bands and fields of sheetage.

Nose is on the sweet side..hmm thats not a good sign..

On the tongue and palate the nose carries through with more...sweet...this is the sweet side of DIPA land, with just some dry notes in the finish. I do get some woody smoke, and some sticky caramel character. But this is kinda boozy, kinda sweet and not really what most are looking for in this style. ....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%

2.25/5  rDev -8.9%

2.83/5  rDev +14.6%

650 ml bottle from Trader Joes. IBU = 75 / O.G. = 17.15
Deep amber color with a small and short-lived head, leaving almost no lacing.
The aroma has a metallic off odor. Modest amount of earth hop aroma and flavor, but a rather poor quality hop aroma compared to better IPAs.
Medium body but lightly astringent.

O: drinkable and inexpensive, but disappointing and not recommended. [2.75]

2.65/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Big bubbles and great thin layer of foam. Pinkish copper in hue.

Smell: Very weak for a DIPA. Sweet grapefruit and malt liquor. Not a bad smell, just nothing really to speak of.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet, thick caramel and a strong metallic finish. The finish is what really "screws" this up. Mouthfeel is quite syrup, but not awful overall.

Overall Drinkability: Did I enjoy this beer? No. Did I hate it like a lot of people? Probably not.

2.71/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This says double ipa but it has very little hops and a whole lotta malt and alcohol. If anything this should be called an American strong ale or something along those lines. There is a big malt flavor + odd chemical bitterness (not hops but something akin to Windex.) This reminds me of Old English 800 or some other ghetto style brew. I am not sure why Trader Joes is carrying such a low grade brew, most of their selection is good (they recently added Stone Belgium IPA.) This is just a cheap strong beer that is not worth sitting next to a Stone or an AleSmith at TJs

1.35/5  rDev -45.3%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

2.25/5  rDev -8.9%

3.09/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A 22oz bomber for 2.29 from Trader Joe's. Pours a standard coppery amber with a white head and decent lacing . Smell is sweet with alcohol and a light fruitiness. Some caramel and a grainy malt. Taste aint bad for a cheap DIPA. Is it grand and complex? No. But it has real beer taste and decent balance. It is on the sweeter of things, and it is certainly not the hop bomb we have come to expect in this style, but by no means is it a bad beer. Finish is a little sweet and mildly hopped. The abv is well integrated and not a hinderance to drinking it. Feel is smooth and slightly chewy, with a lighter weight for the OG. Not a bad beer for the price. There is flavor to be found here and for those of you looking for an abv bomb at a BMC price look no further.

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.75/5  rDev +51.8%

2.44/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Medium brown amber in color. A little bit of light tan head on the top of it, but not a lot. Slightly hazy in the glass.

S: Caramel and sweet right off the bat. There is a strong fruitiness to it, perhaps a little tropical fruit hop smell, perhaps a little floral . All in all I am not getting a lot of hops out of this, and it comes off almost cloying.

T: There are some hops in there, although far from the hop character I would normally associate with this style. This is a caramel bomb if I ever had one.... The bitterness is almost non-existent, and the hop character is looking a lot like Where's Waldo. [poc

M: Medium thick in body, carbonation seems a little active for me, the finish is slightly dry.

O: Overall this is a fine strong ale, as a IIPA there is very little hop character or bitterness. The cloying quality is a little much and the booziness doesn't help.

2.05/5  rDev -17%

Appearance- Light brown with a lot of carbonation. Little to no head retention.

Smell- Not a lot of excitement on the smell. Smells sort of like a bud light with a slight hint of hops.

Taste- A little but of hoppiness but not noticeably citrus or floral, just bitter. Maltiness is more noticeable than the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel- Oily and slick. Alcohol is noticeable.

Overall- Definitely the least expensive double IPA I've ever bought but I wouldn't really call it a double IPA. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this for human consumption.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company