Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012)
Adkins721

3.75/5  rDev +51.2%

12-10-2013 01:46:44 | More by Adkins721
Tellytell

3.75/5  rDev +51.2%

08-19-2014 16:53:36 | More by Tellytell
Chadhowie

3.63/5  rDev +46.4%

I bought this to break into the Trader Joe's market a little, as I noticed that they carry multiple beers from Boatswain. It's a little too sweet an IPA for me and not as hoppy as I would like a Double IPA, but still a good purchase and worth the money, as it is not an expensive beer at all.

01-16-2013 00:19:47 | More by Chadhowie

04-04-2014 23:49:51 | More by makasi
JoshPalmer

Washington

3.43/5  rDev +38.3%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Not extremely alcoholic considering the high ABV. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's dissevering of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

06-12-2014 05:31:40 | More by JoshPalmer
Dsimenson

3.3/5  rDev +33.1%

Poured into a 16 oz champaign flute (the 22 oz did not fit all at once). It's a lovely unfiltered golden color with a one finger head that dissipates and leaves fair lacing down the sides. Aroma is on the mild side, but pleasing--hops, and a bit of malt and grain. Flavor is not really that of a double IPA (a la Ruinstion), but more like a regular IPA. Moderate, but not strong hoppy bitterness, well balanced (which double IPAs are NOT), a bit of citrus, a bit of pine. The aftertaste does develop a mild grapefruit bite. Mouth feel is meduim, foamy, not creamy. Overall this is good, and I think it's been under-rated on this website, but what do I know?!

11-18-2013 00:09:33 | More by Dsimenson

03-31-2013 02:28:50 | More by DMB
WithinTheGlass

Kansas

3.24/5  rDev +30.6%

Found this for $1.99 at the local Trader Joe's and thought... "Why not?"

A-
The label is nice to look at, and the brew itself is a perfect IPA orange. The appearance is really the best thing about this beer.

S-
Surprisingly sweet and malt-liqouresqe. Adjuncts, syrup and a bit of green banana.

T-
Not bad at all, but certainly not normal for a beer of this style. I was reminded more of "Steel Reserve" than a decent IPA.... but I digress. For what it is, I was perfectly fine with the less than usual flavor profile.

M-
Chewy, and a little flat. Not bad at all... I found myself glad that it wasn't overcarbonated.

O-
Take it or leave it... This is a very odd beer, but not a very bad one. I'd drink it again.

09-24-2013 17:15:07 | More by WithinTheGlass
Sorcerer

United Kingdom (England)

3.21/5  rDev +29.4%

Looks really good on a slow pour into a Redhook ESB Tulip. Had to slow down and let the beautiful head subside and finish a complete pour before drinking. Patient drinker tonight.

I have no idea of the bottling date. I have consumed this beer quite a few times before. This is my review.

Sweet smelling brew of sugar, wet straw, faint horrendous hint of rotting ginko fruit (yuck!), alcohol, hint of marigolds and daisies (flowers that smell like something dead), and yes, I do smell hops intensely as well, a bit like a wet mowed lawn in this case. Not bad.

Legs of lace follow my quaffs with a slender ladder persisting upon completion of the draught.

Taste arrives with alcohol right up front for me, followed by a sweet malt cloyed by something acetic and then ester, but all good, as a general hop infusion slams away doubting taste-buds. In fact this bottle surprises me with how good it tastes. I do not expect a great deal from this budget fare. I expect something to drink with dinner that is not revolting. I am enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is wonderful! Just the right amount of carbonation for me. But I manage my pours, and pick my glassware. You always know beer is not water. But this is like a hopped up carbonated honey drink. Maybe this has adjunct in proportion in the recipe. Feel good.

Overall, I enjoy this brew from time to time. Lucky to have something this strong and cheap. Not perfection. A hard working beer for the hardworking person with only a little bit of change to spare. Beer snobs will have to seek something else.

02-21-2013 04:30:28 | More by Sorcerer
A60sburnout

3.2/5  rDev +29%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a glass stein.

Abundant head from an aggressive pour, the two-finger foam crown a pleasant off-white / light beige, the DIPA underneath an inviting copper color. Nice lacing and head retention.

Aroma has a nice malty bite with a hint of caramel. Malty taste, but a bit light / watery on mouthfeel. Not as much hop presence as I would have anticipated, however the aftertaste retains the hoppiness.

Taste is just average; my attraction was the brewery's name, Rhinelander Brewing CO (aka Minhas, nee Huber). Allegedly there will be a new Rhinelander Brewery in Rhinelander, WI, but I think there had better be some significantly better offerings to resurrect the old brewery's memory.

01-12-2013 00:18:59 | More by A60sburnout
Bierman9

New Hampshire

3.2/5  rDev +29%

Was at my local Trader Joes today and picked up a 22oz bomber of this for $2.59. Short money, so why not...

Poured into a small tulip, it was a bright, clear orange-golden color. There is plenty of steady carbo, and the head is off-white, fine and creamy. Most of the foam congregates at the edges, and lacing is minimal. Aroma gives off a decent amount of hoppyness, along with some toasty malt action. Feel was near medium, though it was a bit light and airy.

Taste, too, has a smidge of sweetness and some toasty malt, but then it is mostly hoppy. What I get here is some mildly rindy citrus, with a bit of apricot-like fruitiness. For a DIPA, it doesn't have a strong hop profile, though. The hops linger a bit in the finish, yet overall this is fairly simplistic brew. Decent for the price, but not something to write home about... Prosit!

3.2/5 rDev +15.9%

01-05-2013 21:11:32 | More by Bierman9
Billolick

3.15/5  rDev +27%

Bomber bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's (god I love shopping at that place...)
for the stupid cheap price of $2.99....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

Pours clear typical almond amber. Off white head stays at the thicker film stage and leaves some fine bands and fields of sheetage.

Nose is on the sweet side..hmm thats not a good sign..

On the tongue and palate the nose carries through with more...sweet...this is the sweet side of DIPA land, with just some dry notes in the finish. I do get some woody smoke, and some sticky caramel character. But this is kinda boozy, kinda sweet and not really what most are looking for in this style. ....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

05-07-2013 01:42:24 | More by Billolick
MCain04

3.15/5  rDev +27%

Only $3 for a 22oz bomber. Not expecting much but why not try? No bottling date. This was poured into my Bell's Tulip glass.

A: Orange amber body mostly clear, 1 finger of head but good retention and lacing.

S: Not much aroma on this at all. Maybe a little tropical fruit aroma and sweet malt.

T: Taste is not the hoppiest, the malts are a little stale, the is some metallic sourness on the back end as well, and some malty sweetness throughout. Not very bitter. Not too much heat, to its credit.

M: Over-carbonated, thin body, but crisp. Could be dryer.

O: For the price, this isn't terrible. It's certainly better than BMC. Probably won't get it again but if I wanted to get a cheap beer buzz or was asked to pick up a cheap DIPA at the store, this is a decent choice.

04-20-2013 01:38:00 | More by MCain04