Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Omer4176

06-17-2013 15:13:06 | More by Omer4176
GeoJ

22 oz. growler for $1.99 from Trader Joe's ... What can you expect?

One of the most disgusting beverages I've ever tasted.

Half a glass and I wanted to carve my tongue out with a rusty paring knife and run screaming out of the room.

Cheap chemical smell. Unbalanced, sticky and sickly-sweet taste. Lingering aftertaste that destroys your palate. Don't even THINK of pairing this with good food. Or any food, for that matter.

Awful on every level.

06-27-2013 11:42:01 | More by GeoJ
Belittle

04-29-2014 15:34:41 | More by Belittle
SerialHiker

1.1/5  rDev -55.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5)

02-10-2013 01:53:58 | More by SerialHiker
ScottJWing

1.13/5  rDev -54.1%

Appearance- It looks like beer.

Smell- Skunky booze and sweet malt.

Taste- I almost did a spit take. It tasted like malt liquor that was left out in the sun for 3 days then re-capped and put on the shelf.

Mouthfeel- Overly carbonated and thin.

Overall- One of the most undrinkable pieces of garbage I've ever poured into my mouth. Avoid at all costs. If you only have 2$ buy PBR or something.

04-14-2014 08:42:05 | More by ScottJWing

1.25/5  rDev -49.2%

07-02-2014 21:55:38 | More by hopocaust
thrash420

1.3/5  rDev -47.2%

This beer is god awful for what it is. Having just a few sips, my mouth has this burn and taste that won't go away.

It pours ok. Opened it and it reeked of a cheap alcohol. I can usually pinpoint flavors and spices, this tastes like it was over sweetened to mask the taste of everything horrible. I can not pinpoint anything I like about the flavor of this beer.

Overall. Do not buy. Stay away. Far far away.

06-10-2013 00:57:40 | More by thrash420
mjaquillard

1.33/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

My goodness, this was awful. As in, can't finish the 10 ounces I poured out of the 22 oz bottle. Most horrid beer I've tasted since Rogue's Voodoo Donut beer, although at least that one was slightly interesting. Anyway...

A: Color was nice, darkish copper. No lacing at all

S: No hop aroma at all. Not much of any aroma

T: Tastes like cheap Champagne filtered through dirty socks, and aged on cardboard.

M: Highly carbonated, again, like champagne. There must be a ton of some adjunct to bump up the alcohol because I don't feel malt backing at all

O: It's really hard to say a single positive thing about this beer. This is now only the 3rd beer I've ever been given that I couldn't drink more than a few sips of. The first was some horrible Chile beer from Arizona, 2nd was the Rogue Voodoo Donut beer (although I at least appreciated what they did with that, and now this.

I've had some other TJ's contract-brewed beers like this, and while not world class examples of their style, they are mostly pretty good. This one is just terrible. Believe the reviews, it really is that bad.

09-20-2013 01:27:52 | More by mjaquillard
BrianC

1.35/5  rDev -45.1%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

03-24-2013 02:26:06 | More by BrianC
dmitalski

10-19-2013 21:51:42 | More by dmitalski
hansod1

1.5/5  rDev -39%

Full disclosure: I actually went to the trouble of creating an account so I could review this beer. That's how motivated I am to communicate my feelings on the subject of this beer.

I picked this up at Trader Joes for $2 in a 22oz. A good deal for a DIPA, I thought. This is not so.

Look and Feel:
Poured into a 12oz pint glass with a decent looking head. This beer was quite carbonated, so the bubbles appeared rather large. It is deep golden brown in color. Minimal lacing.

Aroma:
The aroma is more comprised of C02, yeast, and malt components rather than hops, which is very disappointing for something with IPA on the label.

Flavor:
It tastes like a lager that got turned into a double IPA. What I mean is that the malt is not very complex, it's just a little sweet and very boozy, and the hops are not particularly aromatic or pungent - I wouldn't be surprised if this was an IPA made of all Hallertauer hops or something. The malt is a bit one dimensional, transforming from bubbly bitter to cloyingly sweet after the small hop flavor fades from memory.

Verdict:

Do not pay money or spend time drinking this beer. We like the DIPA because of an explosion of flavor between a sweet/savory/smokey malt and some kick-in-the-pants bitter pungent hops combined with the aroma of a pine tree or citrus fruit on top. This beer has none of these characteristics. If someone handed me a glass and asked me to classify it, I would say this falls in a new category I have invented just for this beer: "American Strong Lager" - high ABV, little hops, simplistic malt, cloyingly sweet aftertaste.

12-29-2013 06:23:37 | More by hansod1
Captainawesome56

01-13-2013 17:29:22 | More by Captainawesome56
Willi_BW

03-06-2014 03:45:22 | More by Willi_BW
AdamAbel

1.5/5  rDev -39%

Bought at TJ's in a bomber, and thought the reviews were overly harsh... before I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass, took two sips, and dumped it. I'm not the biggest beer snob, but this stuff was undrinkable for me. Probably the worst beer I've ever had!

09-12-2013 19:24:36 | More by AdamAbel
ThirstySavage

11-02-2013 05:44:56 | More by ThirstySavage
Hopster916

02-04-2014 03:49:03 | More by Hopster916
ChugMan

1.58/5  rDev -35.8%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the High Gravity clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of loose change. Avoid.

03-10-2013 06:44:06 | More by ChugMan
BitterLover

1.58/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege.

02-26-2013 03:30:15 | More by BitterLover
johzac

Colorado

$1.99 from Trader Joes.
Smells of light sweet bread and lemons.
Tastes sweet with very light bitterness. No pronounced hops,sweetness dominates. This beer is a sad rendition of a double IPA. Cheap hop schedule and poor attenuation are the main culprits here. Strong alcohol bite. Not recommended as a D/IIPA.

09-01-2013 05:03:20 | More by johzac

Rhode Island

10-11-2013 22:44:05 | More by RIKIM
beertunes

1.9/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

08-11-2013 04:02:46 | More by beertunes