Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.52/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep amber with little head and no lacing. Very thin skim of foam mostly around the edge of the glass. Aroma is ripe fruits. Mouthfeel is decent, slightly on the thin side but good carbonation.

Taste is really odd. Certainly not what is expected for a DIPA. Overripe fruit with a tart aftertaste and slight booziness. Comes across like a cider made from plums that's going sour. If that sounds good to you, then you might like this.

Several of Trader Joe's beer offerings are decent, but this surely isn't one of them. Won't be buying this again. (556 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid. (765 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed this beer out of a pub glass

A: copper hue with a thin white head leads to a wispyace and no trail.

S: musky hop aroma.

T: crisp musky bitter flavored followed by some off malt flavor and finishes sweet and dry.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

O: not a very well rounded beer - lots of off flavors. (320 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I've been warned. My brother who gave it said it was "okay" and then I read the reviews. Yikes!
Kinda' water aroma with no sense of the hops necessary for a DIPA, much less a good ol' Am. IPA. More malt quality really. Doesn't present to style at all.
Looks like it should. Somewhat dense tan head and typical amber color for style.
Again with the malt forward and then the hops show. Interesting flavor. Not intense and the bitterness is quite subdued, but the hop flavor is unique and pleasant enough, not horrible. What other backhanded credit can I give it? Shots of malt sweetness.
Carbonation is more than I'd like for style and it's touch thin, but no biggy.
Bitterness shows a little more as it warms but really for style, not that much. Drinks smaller than listed abv, but it does a little warming and a shot or two to the frontal lobe, but again not that much for style (879 characters)

22 oz. growler for $1.99 from Trader Joe's ... What can you expect?

One of the most disgusting beverages I've ever tasted.

Half a glass and I wanted to carve my tongue out with a rusty paring knife and run screaming out of the room.

Cheap chemical smell. Unbalanced, sticky and sickly-sweet taste. Lingering aftertaste that destroys your palate. Don't even THINK of pairing this with good food. Or any food, for that matter.

Awful on every level. (452 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A 22oz bomber for 2.29 from Trader Joe's. Pours a standard coppery amber with a white head and decent lacing . Smell is sweet with alcohol and a light fruitiness. Some caramel and a grainy malt. Taste aint bad for a cheap DIPA. Is it grand and complex? No. But it has real beer taste and decent balance. It is on the sweeter of things, and it is certainly not the hop bomb we have come to expect in this style, but by no means is it a bad beer. Finish is a little sweet and mildly hopped. The abv is well integrated and not a hinderance to drinking it. Feel is smooth and slightly chewy, with a lighter weight for the OG. Not a bad beer for the price. There is flavor to be found here and for those of you looking for an abv bomb at a BMC price look no further. (761 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -45.9%

This beer is god awful for what it is. Having just a few sips, my mouth has this burn and taste that won't go away.

It pours ok. Opened it and it reeked of a cheap alcohol. I can usually pinpoint flavors and spices, this tastes like it was over sweetened to mask the taste of everything horrible. I can not pinpoint anything I like about the flavor of this beer.

Overall. Do not buy. Stay away. Far far away. (410 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bomber bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's (god I love shopping at that place...)
for the stupid cheap price of $2.99....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

Pours clear typical almond amber. Off white head stays at the thicker film stage and leaves some fine bands and fields of sheetage.

Nose is on the sweet side..hmm thats not a good sign..

On the tongue and palate the nose carries through with more...sweet...this is the sweet side of DIPA land, with just some dry notes in the finish. I do get some woody smoke, and some sticky caramel character. But this is kinda boozy, kinda sweet and not really what most are looking for in this style. ....I know I know, you get what you pay for... (708 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a craggy cap on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, margarine, non-stick cooking spray, and subdued citrus zest hop aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and metallic hop flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with no real redeeming qualities other than its appearance. (571 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

First review.

Appearance - Pours deep amber with a nice head in a tulip glass. Head gives way to quickly with slight ring around the rim. Clear, rich amber color.

Smell - Resiny, but smells more like a cheaper keystone style beer rather than a double IPA. No dry hop aromas

Taste - Very balanced for an 8.4% beer. What I feel the beer lacks in hop flavors, it makes up for in hop balance between bitterness, maltiness, and alcohol content.

Mouthfeel - Again, the slightest bit resiny in the sense that you can taste the thickness of the hop resins. No warming from the 8.4% ABV, but full thickness to each sip.

Overall disappointed. I like a wide spectrum of beers, but usually stay away from DIIPA's because they can be a bit bitter. I saw this in Trader Joe's and psyched myself up for the resiny ride I was about to embark, only to be disappointed by what smelt like a keystone lite. The best part about it was that although it tasted like a generic canned beer, this a was a balanced 8.4% 24 oz beer.

Won't buy again. (1,027 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +29.5%

Only $3 for a 22oz bomber. Not expecting much but why not try? No bottling date. This was poured into my Bell's Tulip glass.

A: Orange amber body mostly clear, 1 finger of head but good retention and lacing.

S: Not much aroma on this at all. Maybe a little tropical fruit aroma and sweet malt.

T: Taste is not the hoppiest, the malts are a little stale, the is some metallic sourness on the back end as well, and some malty sweetness throughout. Not very bitter. Not too much heat, to its credit.

M: Over-carbonated, thin body, but crisp. Could be dryer.

O: For the price, this isn't terrible. It's certainly better than BMC. Probably won't get it again but if I wanted to get a cheap beer buzz or was asked to pick up a cheap DIPA at the store, this is a decent choice. (775 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Big bubbles and great thin layer of foam. Pinkish copper in hue.

Smell: Very weak for a DIPA. Sweet grapefruit and malt liquor. Not a bad smell, just nothing really to speak of.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet, thick caramel and a strong metallic finish. The finish is what really "screws" this up. Mouthfeel is quite syrup, but not awful overall.

Overall Drinkability: Did I enjoy this beer? No. Did I hate it like a lot of people? Probably not. (452 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -43.9%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market. (384 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

What rating does Olde English 800 get?
'cause that's what I rate this.

Someone told this brewery that IPAs were selling well, and it's like they shrugged their shoulders and said, "If you say so..."

I don't find it horribly offensive as several reviewers do; it's just that I find no merit.

Appearance: this beer's strong point. Nice clear raw honey with a firm enough head that degrades into a thin film and very light lacing.

Smell: old beer and alcohol. I'm going to stick with the same smell as Olde English 800.

Taste: old beer and alcohol. Minimal hops flavor compared to my favorite hops-bombs. Slightly more hops flavor than Coors.

Mouthfeel: I don't know how to rate mouthfeel.

Overall: it'll get you drunk, son. That's about all it's got to recommend for itself. (787 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -33.6%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the Malt Liquor clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of the loose change you used to buy it. Avoid. (589 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege. (832 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks really good on a slow pour into a Redhook ESB Tulip. Had to slow down and let the beautiful head subside and finish a complete pour before drinking. Patient drinker tonight.

I have no idea of the bottling date. I have consumed this beer quite a few times before. This is my review.

Sweet smelling brew of sugar, wet straw, faint horrendous hint of rotting ginko fruit (yuck!), alcohol, hint of marigolds and daisies (flowers that smell like something dead), and yes, I do smell hops intensely as well, a bit like a wet mowed lawn in this case. Not bad.

Legs of lace follow my quaffs with a slender ladder persisting upon completion of the draught.

Taste arrives with alcohol right up front for me, followed by a sweet malt cloyed by something acetic and then ester, but all good, as a general hop infusion slams away doubting taste-buds. In fact this bottle surprises me with how good it tastes. I do not expect a great deal from this budget fare. I expect something to drink with dinner that is not revolting. I am enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is wonderful! Just the right amount of carbonation for me. But I manage my pours, and pick my glassware. You always know beer is not water. But this is like a hopped up carbonated honey drink. Maybe this has adjunct in proportion in the recipe. Feel good.

Overall, I enjoy this brew from time to time. Lucky to have something this strong and cheap. Not perfection. A hard working beer for the hardworking person with only a little bit of change to spare. Beer snobs will have to seek something else. (1,552 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -54.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5) (1,092 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +48.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this to break into the Trader Joe's market a little, as I noticed that they carry multiple beers from Boatswain. It's a little too sweet an IPA for me and not as hoppy as I would like a Double IPA, but still a good purchase and worth the money, as it is not an expensive beer at all. (292 characters)

2.44/5  rDev 0%

Just shared this with my buddy Hank who had this review (that I completely agree with): This is nothing like a DIPA, I would barely say its an IPA. It has a slightly fruity nose with some citrus. Taste was malty, almost unfiltered, but hardly any hops. The bitterness at the end is the only IPA-esk thing about it. At $2.50 it was worth the try. If your looking for DIPA don't bother. If you want a cheap, easy ale, them pick it up. (432 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +32.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a glass stein.

Abundant head from an aggressive pour, the two-finger foam crown a pleasant off-white / light beige, the DIPA underneath an inviting copper color. Nice lacing and head retention.

Aroma has a nice malty bite with a hint of caramel. Malty taste, but a bit light / watery on mouthfeel. Not as much hop presence as I would have anticipated, however the aftertaste retains the hoppiness.

Taste is just average; my attraction was the brewery's name, Rhinelander Brewing CO (aka Minhas, nee Huber). Allegedly there will be a new Rhinelander Brewery in Rhinelander, WI, but I think there had better be some significantly better offerings to resurrect the old brewery's memory. (718 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: A slightly off orange color, with moderate foam and lacing.

Smell: Malt, caramel, and funk.

Taste: Caramel, malt, and funk.

Mouthfeel: Bready yet watery, creamy, with a hint of bitterness in the finish.

The Verdict: I’m torn. As a DIPA, it’s bad. As just a cheap beer with a big kick, it’s does the job fairly well. Maybe I’ll pretend this Trader Joe’s brew is actually a funky, slightly hoppy malt beverage and be happy with it. (455 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +32.4%

Was at my local Trader Joes today and picked up a 22oz bomber of this for $2.59. Short money, so why not...

Poured into a small tulip, it was a bright, clear orange-golden color. There is plenty of steady carbo, and the head is off-white, fine and creamy. Most of the foam congregates at the edges, and lacing is minimal. Aroma gives off a decent amount of hoppyness, along with some toasty malt action. Feel was near medium, though it was a bit light and airy.

Taste, too, has a smidge of sweetness and some toasty malt, but then it is mostly hoppy. What I get here is some mildly rindy citrus, with a bit of apricot-like fruitiness. For a DIPA, it doesn't have a strong hop profile, though. The hops linger a bit in the finish, yet overall this is fairly simplistic brew. Decent for the price, but not something to write home about... Prosit!

3.2/5 rDev +15.9%

1554 (928 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Well, the wife got this at Trader Joe's for $2 and it is possibly worth that. I've had several DIPAs and this one is definitely sub-par. It's a very light amber color with a thin finger of white foam that dissipates shortly. The aroma is an odd mix of sourness and bubblegum. The taste is metallic, sour mess with a hint of adjunct. The body is quite thin for the style, and the aftertaste is less than desirable.
In my opinion, if the beer industry consisted of the government taking over, and producing a basic example of each style, this would be the resulting DIPA. This will not be a repeat buy. It's tolerable and cheap. (626 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +15.2%

650 ml bottle from Trader Joes. IBU = 75 / O.G. = 17.15
Deep amber color with a small and short-lived head, leaving almost no lacing.
The aroma has a metallic off odor. Modest amount of earth hop aroma and flavor, but a rather poor quality hop aroma compared to better IPAs.
Medium body but lightly astringent.

O: drinkable and inexpensive, but disappointing and not recommended. [2.75] (395 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last